• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What we have been up to lately

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Wyoming Wind

Reaction score
As winter drags on, we seem to find things to keep us busy. We won't start calving until around April 10th and we ran our cows thru the corral yesterday and scourguarded them. Don't want to brag (but I will anyways) we ran 400 through in one hour! A record for us! We are using corrals that are new to our cows so they don't yet have it figured out where to run back on us yet, 8 great neighbors helping, and we didn't have to catch any of the cows. Shut the tailgate on our new HyQual squeeze chute and had the snow piled up along the allyway to have a catwalk for the vaccinators, and nice weather all helped to make it a super speedy day of working cattle. All together we ran about 550 head thru. A good job to have done!
Meanwhile, we are still feeding up here with 4 head of Belgians hooked up to our hay sled. Here's the sled parked with half of the hay to feed to our replacement calves first thing in the morning
halter_breaking_014.jpg

Since our team walks down the same trail everyday heading to the stackyard the trail builds up, packed solid, and we found out the hard way how hard it can get to walk a D6 Caterpiller dozer across it on the way to plow out the new stack yard. Got her stuck bad!
Winter_snowbanks_029.jpg

Winter_snowbanks_027.jpg

We hauled some blocks of woods out on snowmobiles and jammed under the track and did some shoveling and finally got it to go. We wrecked the sled trail, screwed our lead team up the next day with mulitple tracks to choose to go down, had the lead turn down one with the wheel team going down the other and broke the tongue in half, a wheel horse got on his back being dragged, and the lead team trying to drag the whole rig off. No horses were hurt, just the sled. I didn't get any pictures taken that day! Feeding took quite a while that day :oops:
Here's my son "playing" on the new tongue
halter_breaking_031.jpg

Meanwhile between feeding and multiple storms blowing thru we had 3 weanling colts to halter break. Should be really nice ranch horses; Dry Doc, 3 bars, and Two Eyed Jack bred. Halter breaking is pretty exciting for about 5 minutes. We do it the "old school" way. Rope them, choke them down for just enough time to get the halter slapped on and drag them to a nearby post and leave them tied up for a few days and nights. We lead them to water and hang hay bags for them. Then we spend a few days practicing catching them and lead them behind our haysled on the way to go feed. Here's some "action" shots.
halter_breaking_018.jpg

halter_breaking_024.jpg

halter_breaking_008.jpg

And I love this picture. His expression says it all. Welcome to horsey kindergarten kid :D !
halter_breaking_009.jpg

The storms we have had blow through here brought loads of snow and lots of wind. Here are a few of the snowdrifts that have formed around our little cabin.
Winter_snowbanks_021.jpg

Winter_snowbanks_012.jpg

Before too long we will have pictures of baby calves on here. I wish everyone a happy and successful calving! Send springtime our way! :D

Sounds like things have been eventful! I'd brag on getting that many worked that quickly too. Can't imagine why you didn't have pictures of the horse wreck :wink: The weanlings are very cute. Take a picture of them leading behind the sled if you get a chance.

Great pics, thanks for sharing. What are the ears welded on the dozer blade for? Is that a D6C 10k?
Sure looks like you've got no shortage of stuff to keep you busy around there, I look forward to your calving photos, and more of the horses.

Great pic's and storey behind the pic, love the pic of the log house with the satellite dish...old meets new, Hope you can put up more pic's of the feeding operation in action now that they got the road figured out

:wink: :lol:

Great pics :D . Your drifts look about like the ones at home, but they're disappearing fast in this 50 degree weather. I've been thinking of you, and thought you might be interested in checking out these bulls:

www.culvercattle.com

These cattle look interesting, and I hope to make the sale to look at them. They're definitely altitude cattle.

Silver said:
Great pics, thanks for sharing. What are the ears welded on the dozer blade for? Is that a D6C 10k?
Sure looks like you've got no shortage of stuff to keep you busy around there, I look forward to your calving photos, and more of the horses.
Sure is a D6C...the ears you referred to were on the blade when we got the outfit; it had previously been used for logging. Great machine though, we will use it a bunch to plow out calving ground this spring.

WyomingRancher said:
Great pics :D . Your drifts look about like the ones at home, but they're disappearing fast in this 50 degree weather. I've been thinking of you, and thought you might be interested in checking out these bulls:

www.culvercattle.com

These cattle look interesting, and I hope to make the sale to look at them. They're definitely altitude cattle.
I have been looking at the Culver Cattle Company, very excited that they are really high elevation cattle. We won't be able to make the sale this year but i've requested their pap scores out of curiousity. I really like their bloodlines too...if you make the sale i'd be real interested to hear how they sell as I would love to make next years sale. We are going to need about 8 bulls then :cry: ...that will be a big check to write! We hit 45 degrees here today, our froze over driveway turned to slush making 4 wheel drive mandatory until morning!

Nicky said:
Sounds like things have been eventful! I'd brag on getting that many worked that quickly too. Can't imagine why you didn't have pictures of the horse wreck :wink: The weanlings are very cute. Take a picture of them leading behind the sled if you get a chance.
Will head out tomorrow with the team and get some pics of leading one of the colts! Great way to break them to saddle too, leading them behind the sled. They can't buck and rear when they are being led by 4 head of 1800 lb draft horses :D

Wyoming Wind said:
WyomingRancher said:

www.culvercattle.com

I have been looking at the Culver Cattle Company, very excited that they are really high elevation cattle. We won't be able to make the sale this year but i've requested their pap scores out of curiousity. I really like their bloodlines too...if you make the sale i'd be real interested to hear how they sell as I would love to make next years sale. We are going to need about 8 bulls then :cry: ...that will be a big check to write! We hit 45 degrees here today, our froze over driveway turned to slush making 4 wheel drive mandatory until morning!

If I make the sale, and find a bargain, I'll just buy it for you :p :D . I love going to sales and trying to find the "buy" of the day... it must be a woman thing :lol: . I'm not much of a shopper, but when it comes to bull sales, I'm pretty fierce.

WyomingRancher said:
Wyoming Wind said:
WyomingRancher said:
If I make the sale, and find a bargain, I'll just buy it for you :p :D . I love going to sales and trying to find the "buy" of the day... it must be a woman thing :lol: . I'm not much of a shopper, but when it comes to bull sales, I'm pretty fierce.
Definetly a woman thing :D I love bull sales too; somehow I always go thru my sales catalogs and tend to pick out the bulls that will be most expensive :? and certainly ones we can't afford. But a girl can dream, huh?! Good luck if you make the sale---do you know if there are any breeders who sell private treaty around laramie area anymore since the Shamrock cattle dispersed? They were great cattle.

Wyoming Wind said:
WyomingRancher said:
Wyoming Wind said:
Definetly a woman thing :D I love bull sales too; somehow I always go thru my sales catalogs and tend to pick out the bulls that will be most expensive :? and certainly ones we can't afford. But a girl can dream, huh?! Good luck if you make the sale---do you know if there are any breeders who sell private treaty around laramie area anymore since the Shamrock cattle dispersed? They were great cattle.

Yeah, what girl needs to go shoe shopping, when they can go to a bull sale instead :lol:. Unfortunately I don't know of anybody selling bulls private treaty in the area. Luckily we should have enough bulls, so I'll just be going to look at the cattle, hopefully I'll be able to see some females. I'll report back if I make it, I hope it's a potential bull source for the future :D .

Okay, here's my sale report :D . First off, I didn't find too many bargains for you, the top end sold really well. I liked the cattle, they are very quiet, moderate, and looked like they'd make nice females. I was surprised there were a lot of high PAP scores, and it seemed to be more in the purebreds than commercials. I wonder how the two groups are managed, and if that may be influencing the scores since they're genetically the same cattle. I've always heard that it's super tough getting bulls to PAP in that area for some reason. For folks who don't have altitude concerns, there were very good deals during the sale.

On the subject of PAP scores, I just don't follow it 100%. If the sires have a good PAP score, but are throwing progeny with high scores, how is this predicting anything? Also, with scores changing over time, how do you really apply this information when purchasing a bull? I would assume the high PAP scoring bull calves would have been candidates for death running at altitude, but they obviously survived, grew well, and made the sale?! I certainly plan to continue using PAP testing as one selection tool, I just think there is a lot more to it in predicting whether or not a bull's calf will express Brisket disease. I think it would be very interesting to PAP test some of the old cows in an elevation herd. What do you bet some would "fail", yet they and their offspring have survived without problems?

If its the Sinclair breeding you like, my friend has purchased those bulls, then had them PAP tested. That might be an option for you too. I still encourage you to check Weavers out, I really like their cattle as well, and feel you could get good bulls for the money. Remember this is only my opinion, and its worth what you're paying for it! Good luck finding bulls :D .

Latest posts