• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What would you do?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sweetbasil

Reaction score
Hope that everyone is having a great Tuesday evening.

I have been feeling a little upset about one of my classmates' rudeness. I am currently in my fifth class with 9 other people, we will be together in this cohort for seven more classes. So far, there is this man in the class who can't be quiet. He just came from China about three years ago, so his English comprehension is still limited to some extend. For example, yesterday we had a class for four hours straight with a five minute break. He dominates the entire class time by asking questions out of context such as basic definitions of words like "matrix" or the "area" of a triangle etc. among other things. I believe there is no such a thing as a stupid question; however, there are questions that one should be able to find the answers to and use class time as the last resource.

So far, he has dominated the last four classes with his questions. For example, last night I asked a question relating to the subject and while the teacher was trying to answer it, he jumped in the conversation without raising his hand or letting the teacher finish a sentence, and starts asking his own questions. This has been happening in the last four classes and it is just getting worse. Another thing is, while the teacher is explaining, he has the tendency of turning to another student and starts speaking Chinese while one is trying to listen to what the teacher is explaining. I know that the teacher should put an stop to it, but it hasn't happened so far. In addition, as a result of wasted time, we often finished class 45 minutes to an hour late. So, last night we didn't even covered the concepts that we need to understand in order to do the homework assignments.

What would you do in this case? I been thinking about this whole situation and waiting for God to give me an idea on how to best handle it.

The TEACHER ...needs to get and keep control of the class!

Should be some way to relay that info to the teacher without causing trouble or ill feelings....should that not remedy the problem...that is what administrators are for.

Maybe you need to talk to the teacher privately and explain your problem. By having him interrupt the class it is not fair to the rest of the class who paid tuition and are at the level of the instruction they need to be. Have you talked to any of the other student and see how they feel?

Hope you can get things resolved, :D

allen57 said:

You would think, but so far I have had pretty lousy teachers. I feel like I need to bring it up to the teacher and tell that the way the class is being run right now is not really working for the rest of of us.

had a boss one time that always asked"can i ask you a stupid question"
i said "yes,but you might get a stupid answer"

to shut a guy up,u have to embarass him.he will lose his concentration and be quiet.

knew a person once that won many pool games by telling her opponent that his pants were unzipped as he was shootin at the eight ball.

a super hot piece of candy or a laxitive might work.

have a fun evening

Many years ago when I was a high school senior we went on a trip to Denver. We stopped at a zoo and there among all the other animals was a cage with Crows and Magpies in it. We stopped there and mentioned that we could see crows anytime and didn't need to see them at a zoo.
Just then a crow stepped up close on a perch and said in a loud voice: "Aw Shutup!"

Maybe you need to train a crow to take to class.

Hello Everyone,
I am so grateful to have found this community. Thank you for taking the time to replied to my thread. I just got an email from him asking for me to send him an excel file with the solution to the first problem. I already helped two classmates on the first problem; based on the little teaching of the subject and me reading the chapters prior to class on the material from last night, I was able to finished the first problem in class while they were wasting time. I don't know how he knew he could come to me for help.

I will take advantage of this opportunity send the file to him and the other classmates and write a message suggesting for us to focus our class time in asking questions related to the material which will allowed for us to complete our homework, and help us prepare for the midterm etc. This way, I won't singled him out; if he doesn't pick up the message from the email and the class continues to be a waste of time, then I will talk directly to the teacher.

I am just under a lot of pressure to do well to maintain my GPA and because I am paying a high price for each class. There is a lack of commitment to the program from some of my peers because their companies are paying for this program.

Thank you so much for everything!

:) :)

sweetbasil said:
Hello Everyone,
I am so grateful to have found this community. Thank you for taking the time to replied to my thread. I just got an email from him asking for me to send him an excel file with the solution to the first problem. I already helped two classmates on the first problem; based on the little teaching of the subject and me reading the chapters prior to class on the material from last night, I was able to finished the first problem in class while they were wasting time. I don't know how he knew he could come to me for help.

I will take advantage of this opportunity send the file to him and the other classmates and write a message suggesting for us to focus our class time in asking questions related to the material which will allowed for us to complete our homework, and help us prepare for the midterm etc. This way, I won't singled him out; if he doesn't pick up the message from the email and the class continues to be a waste of time, then I will talk directly to the teacher.

I am just under a lot of pressure to do well to maintain my GPA and because I am paying a high price for each class. There is a lack of commitment to the program from some of my peers because their companies are paying for this program.

Thank you so much for everything!

:) :)

Hang in there. Sounds like you have an excellent opportunity to head the problem off at the pass. Good luck. :)

I am not biased prejudice or racist ;but do know that etiquette is not part of a Chinese education so most lack manners. It is not that they mean to be rude but do not know any other way of communicating, be it a language or cultural barrier.

I really would talk to your professor, if you do not get the needed direction in class ,go to the Dean.

Best of luck .

hillsdown said:
I am not biased prejudice or racist ;but do know that etiquette is not part of a Chinese education so most lack manners. It is not that they mean to be rude but do not know any other way of communicating, be it a language or cultural barrier.

I really would talk to your professor, if you do not get the needed direction in class ,go to the Dean.

Best of luck .

Thank you for your feedback. I hope things change for the better in our class; otherwise, I will become addicted to Tylenol to prevent headaches... :)

sweetbasil said:
hillsdown said:

Best of luck .

Thank you for your feedback. I hope things change for the better in our class; otherwise, I will become addicted to Tylenol to prevent headaches... :)

Maybe you could give your friend a Chinese fortune cookie laced with Ex-lax. This would keep him out of the room while class was in session. :wink: :)

Soapweed said:
sweetbasil said:
hillsdown said:

Best of luck .

Maybe you could give your friend a Chinese fortune cookie laced with Ex-lax. This would keep him out of the room while class was in session. :wink: :)

That's a great idea LOL! The problem is that he told us "I am not having a slide of that pizza because I am taking care of my figure..."

:) :) :?

You said you were waiting for God to give you an idea on how to handle this
situation.

I think He did better than that. He gave you an opportunity and you
seized it. I would say you handled the situation in a very mature way.
Good luck! Keep us posted!

Faster horses said:
You said you were waiting for God to give you an idea on how to handle this
situation.

I think He did better than that. He gave you an opportunity and you
seized it. I would say you handled the situation in a very mature way.
Good luck! Keep us posted!

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback! We shall see what happens next. :)

sweetbasil said:
allen57 said:

You would think, but so far I have had pretty lousy teachers. I feel like I need to bring it up to the teacher and tell that the way the class is being run right now is not really working for the rest of of us.

Take it to the administrators...

Hi Everyone,
I hope that everyone is doing well and enjoying Memorial Day weekend. I have been super busy trying to wrap up my class. I can't wait to come back and share a few things I have learned since last time I posted.

I find the article below worthy of reading since it is an issue that many of us are not aware of concerning the double standard for higher education in the United States today!

Best Wishes,
Sweetbasil

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-05-25/news/bs-ed-rodricks-dreamact-20110525_1_international-students-dream-act-foreign-students

sweetbasil said:
Hi Everyone,
I hope that everyone is doing well and enjoying Memorial Day weekend. I have been super busy trying to wrap up my class. I can't wait to come back and share a few things I have learned since last time I posted.

I find the article below worthy of reading since it is an issue that many of us are not aware of concerning the double standard for higher education in the United States today!

Best Wishes,
Sweetbasil

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-05-25/news/bs-ed-rodricks-dreamact-20110525_1_international-students-dream-act-foreign-students

This might put us into the waters of Political Bull, but I am going to say that I am not sure I see a double standard in this situation. The "illegal" high school students are here illegally; whereas, the international students are here on qualified visas. Back when I went to college, it seemed that the US shared an agreement with certain countries concerning educational exchange---don't hold my feet to the fire on that because that was twenty-five years ago! I see the Dream Act as another way to push through an amnesty bill---just my take on it.

Twister Frost said:
sweetbasil said:
Hi Everyone,

Best Wishes,
Sweetbasil

This might put us into the waters of Political Bull, but I am going to say that I am not sure I see a double standard in this situation. The "illegal" high school students are here illegally; whereas, the international students are here on qualified visas. Back when I went to college, it seemed that the US shared an agreement with certain countries concerning educational exchange---don't hold my feet to the fire on that because that was twenty-five years ago! I see the Dream Act as another way to push through an amnesty bill---just my take on it.

I wasn't referring to the illegal students regarding the double standard. There is a double standard in our educational system between accepting foreign students in our schools and our own. The foreign students get to take a basic English exam, and take the seats that belong to our students who have worked twice as hard, taking Advance Placement classes, doing community service, among other things.

Our students must take the SAT exam which is very rigourous. The TOEFL is equivalent to the SAT for the foreign students; however, the level of comprehension is not to the same. The reason that colleges are promoting more foreign students is because they get to pay "out of state tuition" which allows the schools to make twice the money.

Check the websites below to give you an idea of the difficulty level of the TOEFL in contrast to the SATs.

http://www.learn4good.com/languages/toefl/toefl_stan_test1.htm

http://www.testprepreview.com/vocabulary.htm

Just wait untill you get out in the workforce. You will see discrimanation against women still in this day.
As for students its not going to change sicen they do pay more. COlleges need the extra money.
If you feel that moved about the situation then do soemthing about it.

MsSage said:
Just wait untill you get out in the workforce. You will see discrimanation against women still in this day.
As for students its not going to change sicen they do pay more. COlleges need the extra money.
If you feel that moved about the situation then do soemthing about it.

I will do something about it; God is preparing me so that I can get the opportunity to make it an even field for everyone. I love competition as long as the same rules apply for everyone. :wink:

Latest posts