• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

whats in a name

Help Support Ranchers.net:

C-E

Reaction score
We just returned home with our newest addition, a black tri male aussie. Now for the job of naming him. So far the front runners are Cowboy, Goose, and Roper. Although my 3 year old wants to call him OrangeBlack. We're still open if anyone has suggestions. Pics to follow, when I can get the puter runnin again.

C-E said:
We just returned home with our newest addition, a black tri male aussie. Now for the job of naming him. So far the front runners are Cowboy, Goose, and Roper. Although my 3 year old wants to call him OrangeBlack. We're still open if anyone has suggestions. Pics to follow, when I can get the puter runnin again.

Of the three Goose would be best (one syllable)- makes it easier for them to recognize their name.... Short easy to understand names are best...My dogs are Jud, Sam, and Tess- and they can easily tell which one you're talking to....
I think I read somewhere once- where with working dogs- Jet was the most common name...

We had Toot, Pat, Cat, Zip. All were good dogs and all knew their
names. They say one syllable names that have an ending, not 'ie' or 'y'
so the dogs can hear the end of their name. We have 'Pete' now and
that works. Names are important. A dog trainer here has Glen...
I knew a good dog named Spike.

Good luck.

I guess I goofed I have had a few ending in Y or IE

Blackie, Snuffy, Toby, Holly, :oops: Now we have a Jack and Buster which were the names of the brothers that bought our yearlings for about fifty years. Jack used to take some pretty rangy yearling that a bunch of cowboys chased in from the hills and turn them loose in the corn stubble with an electric fence and move them on foot with his dogs.

I had better not forget Scotty and Grizz.

Well I'm in trouble. We've had scardy cat, cowboy, cowman,sad sack, coal train, roscoe, reba, sooleyman, little sool. Tomcat, cowcat, boarcat, possum. Zetta and the list goes on and own. And also, nubbins.

If you have more than one try to have there names sound different. We had two dogs given to us their names are Babe and Bell, I can't keep them straight so I am as much of a problem as them not knowing who I am talking to. We have Giggles, Gig for short. When we got her our daughter, Rylie, was just a baby. Every time Rylie saw her she giggled and giggled, the name just fit. We have Peaches, when you see her she reminds you of the female mammoth on Ice Age, "Peaches", just not as big.

flyingS said:
If you have more than one try to have there names sound different. We had two dogs given to us their names are Babe and Bell, I can't keep them straight so I am as much of a problem as them not knowing who I am talking to. We have Giggles, Gig for short. When we got her our daughter, Rylie, was just a baby. Every time Rylie saw her she giggled and giggled, the name just fit. We have Peaches, when you see her she reminds you of the female mammoth on Ice Age, "Peaches", just not as big.

:D Every time you talk about Giggles I giggle just thinking about your little girl giggling. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We have a Native lady as a neighbor. Every dog they have owned has been Basud Dog. :D

We have had Sooner, Feather, Jigs, Ace, Monte, Keeper, Thomas J. Floppin' Ears, Tito, and Rosie in the last 20 years.

gcreekrch said:
We have a Native lady as a neighbor. Every dog they have owned has been Basud Dog. :D

We have had Sooner, Feather, Jigs, Ace, Monte, Keeper, Thomas J. Floppin' Ears, Tito, and Rosie in the last 20 years.

Quite a mouth full to say"Away to me, Thomas J. Floppin' Ears". :lol: :lol: :lol:

gcreekrch said:

Tito? What happened to Marlon, Randy, Michael, & Germaine....and maybe even Jesse???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We had Bingo, Big Pup, Baby, Trixie, and now Patty, also known as Patista, Tripod, or "you 3 legged B***c!"

Since I got married, the selection of dogs has been quite careful. If they misbehave too much, the wife may see to it that they end up in the pot! :shock:

Wrangler, Rockie and Cinch all three know their names. I think alot of a dog knowin its name is how much time you spend with it. Granted mine aren't workin dogs....or at least not cow workers. They work at keepin everyone in the house snuggled and loved. Hehe that's job enough for these lil ones.

Well Rockie does believe she's a full fledged squirrel dog. Thoroughly convinced!

Well we have decided to go with "Jack". Still working on pics, puter is still down and maybe out for the count and I'm not smart enough to get them straight from my phone to ranchers.

I have also learned a valuable lesson. NEVER get a new pup in January, potty trips at 3 am with below freezing temps is for the birds. But only one accident inside and that was in the crate while we had dinner with the in-laws.

Latest posts