• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Snowing and blowing here this morning. The west bound freeway is closed. Chains required between here and Baker. Drifting snow and visibility down to 500 feet...... I have been singing put another log on the fire alternated with the weather outside is frightful, but the fire inside is so delightful. Let it snow let it snow let if snow.....

I guess I better go feed the calves. It doesn't look like much fun this morning.

Snowing and blowing here this morning. The west bound freeway is closed. Chains required between here and Baker. Drifting snow and visibility down to 500 feet...... I have been singing put another log on the fire alternated with the weather outside is frightful, but the fire inside is so delightful. Let it snow let it snow let if snow.....

I guess I better go feed the calves. It doesn't look like much fun this morning.
We are at 45 degrees with a moderate wind blowing. A Chinook effect, but it looks like there is an easterly moving storm from the coast that covers the entire depth of the state, and temperatures are predicted to drop to ideal large flake heavy snow conditions. I fear all this rain will freeze with snow on top and down here where they have no clue how to plow or remove snow, it will be a mess and probably keep the sirens warm.

The highway cameras say 45 at Pendleton with a bunch of trucks parked at the foot of Cabbage Hill. The highways all look white with no vehicles in the pictures and temperatures right at or slightly above freezing. Here at the house there is 4 or 5 inches of new snow and it is 30 degrees. The wind seems to have died down. Weather Underground says high of 37 today with a low tonight of 33. High tomorrow of 37. So maybe at least the roads will get clear.

C8603EA3-AA11-43A9-A731-3633DED97EDC.jpeg

1AC531C1-21E6-4CFF-9526-F2E91D4A75AC.jpeg

Full on ground blizzard here this morning. No new snow yet. But wearing out the snow that we have and sending it north at a high rate of speed. All you can do to stand up. Big storm aimed at us later today whenever Oregon and Idaho get finished with it.

52 sunny with 27mph wind
I remember those Chinooks when I lived on a ranch on the west side of the Bitterroots. I went to bed at 18 below with the wood heater blazing and full of Black Locust and quilts made by by mother piled on me and woke up the next morning in a sweat at 45 degrees with west winds blowing and water running everywhere.

I had to go into Missoula that morning for some important reason and the heavy ice-packed Highway 93 was breaking up and it was worse than driving in a deep washboard road with small boulders. I then understood the bumper sticker that said "I drive HWY 93, pray for me."

We have Chinooks here, one just the other day, but they don't have the same effect since the Cascade is the only range that divides us from the coast. We have about a 20-degree difference which is nice to melt off the snow and ice.

34 degrees, no wind, overcast, and heavy fog as I type.

Last edited:
My 10-12 inches of snow has turned into 6 inches of slush. Above freezing for the last two days but only 35 or 36. No enough to really melt it. It is supposed to turn cold tomorrow. Then the rest of the 10 day forecast has highs in the teens and lows in single digets. That will make this slush into frozen clumpy stuff which should be really fun to deal with.

My 10-12 inches of snow has turned into 6 inches of slush. Above freezing for the last two days but only 35 or 36. No enough to really melt it. It is supposed to turn cold tomorrow. Then the rest of the 10 day forecast has highs in the teens and lows in single digets. That will make this slush into frozen clumpy stuff which should be really fun to deal with.
Yep, I remember those days. Chained on all four with cheated chains just to reach the highway. Walking out to feed was a real workout and made me upset that I didn't do a better job keeping the paths shoveled.

...VERY COLD TEMPERATURES OVER THE EASTERN INTERIOR...

Very strong high pressure will build over Northern Alaska
tonight through Friday, and then persist into next week. This will
result in clearing skies and much colder temperatures that will
accompany the high pressure. Temperatures will fall into the 20s
to 40s below across much of the Eastern Interior by Friday, with
temperatures remaining very cold into next week. Valleys east of
Fairbanks could drop into the 40s and 50s below over the weekend,
and remain very cold into next week.
eledtric outage.jpg

It is 12 here this morning. I fed the calves, the barn cats, and let the dogs out of the kennel. Then I came back into the house where the fire is glowing. I know there is probably something I need to do. But I haven't come up with a single reason to go back out side.

We are finally out of the snow but the wind continues to blow hard.
We have some impressive drifts. Mr FH has the tractor and is plowing us out now.
He's concerned that if it does this again, there won't be any place to put the snow.
He'll have to take it through a gate and into the hayfield. That won't be a quick job.
It is to get into the single digits during the day and below zero Sunday, Monday and
Tuesday. Then a warmup, but more snow starting Friday and lasting through Christmas
day. It doesn't look like another storm...yet.

So, it looks like most of us in the north will have a white Christmas!

We got down to 3 above last night. It's a winter wonderland today with the frost on the fences and eight inches of snow on the ground. Supposed to clear out the clouds and get cold tonight and tomorrow. We shall see

Latest posts