• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Took a drive today, saw quite abit rained on hay and alot of frosted corn and maybe some potatoes and sunflowers.
I drove to Baker from North Powder today. A lot of rained on hay. More than I thought there was. And there was one pivot of corn that looked strange. Then I realized it was frosted corn. My hay that is starting to look over ripe gets cut sometime the first of next week.

I am finally wising up in my old age. It was 99 out yesterday when the young men showed up to do my lawn edging and mowing. They both were born and raised here and speak perfect English. That is rare in these parts. Their price is the same as the many crews that require more Spanish comprehension than I have, to have a meeting of the minds. This is a big change for me to face the fact that hard work is something I must put behind me.

After a long cool spell, the heat has hit and my tomatoes are looking awesome with the first one to be plucked probably tomorrow. I have never grown this variety before and so far I am impressed. The beauty is they can be raised in high large patio pots and produce heavy. This method eliminates the crawlers that think they are boss in these parts. I also have them where they receive afternoon shade that has eliminated the splitting that is common in this area.

Today is predicted to be 100 and it is already feeling hot since it never really cooled much. It is dryer than a parched buzzards beak pecking on a hot asphalt roasted red digger on the highway that runs by Nicky's ranch. The last rain was just an aggravation to the dust and that was back in May when the first alfalfa was cut. The hay still came out premium as did the second cutting.

I am still out walking, but shorter distances and so far no snakes sighted, but the diggers are at an all time high, which indicates that the bull snakes have relocated. On my last irrigation ditch walk, I counted 32 diggers out frolicking on the path. I shouldered my .22 Winchester lever action, only to realize I had sold it years ago. The diggers mocked me until I was in rock throwing distance and then they scurried for their dens like the rodents they are. With the goat heads taking advantage of the dryness to boast their superiority and the mocking diggers, I have discontinued walking that path.

I am still alive, but still playing the waiting game as far as any treatment is concerned. The waiting game is no stranger to ranch life as you all know better than I. Patience and persistence are required.

Last edited:
I am finally wising up in my old age. It was 99 out yesterday when the young men showed up to do my lawn edging and mowing. They both were born and raised here and speak perfect English. That is rare in these parts. Their price is the same as the many crews that require more Spanish comprehension than I have, to have a meeting of the minds. This is a big change for me to face the fact that hard work is something I must put behind me.

After a long cool spell, the heat has hit and my tomatoes are looking awesome with the first one to be plucked probably tomorrow. I have never grown this variety before and so far I am impressed. The beauty is they can be raised in high large patio pots and produce heavy. This method eliminates the crawlers that think they are boss in these parts. I also have them where they receive afternoon shade that has eliminated the splitting that is common in this area.

Today is predicted to be 100 and it is already feeling hot since it never really cooled much. It is dryer than a parched buzzards beak pecking on a hot asphalt roasted red digger on the highway that runs by Nicky's ranch. The last rain was just an aggravation to the dust and that was back in May when the first alfalfa was cut. The hay still came out premium as did the second cutting.

I am still out walking, but shorter distances and so far no snakes sighted, but the diggers are at an all time high, which indicates that the bull snakes have relocated. On my last irrigation ditch walk, I counted 32 diggers out frolicking on the path. I shouldered my .22 Winchester lever action, only to realize I had sold it years ago. The diggers mocked me until I was in rock throwing distance and then they scurried for their dens like the rodents they are. With the goat heads taking advantage of the dryness to boast their superiority and the mocking diggers, I have discontinued walking that path.

I am still alive, but still playing the waiting game as far as any treatment is concerned. The waiting game is no stranger to ranch life as you all know better than I. Patience and persistence are required.
I am praying for you, MC.

What are diggers?
And what variety of tomatoes are you talking about?
I haven't been able to raise a decent tomato since moving here.
It used to be easy to grow tomatoes. Not any more.

I am praying for you, MC.

What are diggers?
And what variety of tomatoes are you talking about?
I haven't been able to raise a decent tomato since moving here.
It used to be easy to grow tomatoes. Not any more.
Ground squirrels. I always called the ones in EO red diggers because of their reddish yellow chest. They can do serious damage to fields, especially irrigated.

We can grow tomatoes galore here. I picked my first ripe one today and it had blossom end rot which really isn't a rot but a calcium deficiency commonly seen in potted tomatoes especially hybrids. I tried a hybrid determinate, but I think their inability to draw up the calcium they needed in the early stages was solely a genetic problem. I picked a dozen green ones that had the problem starting.

This is my first tomato failure ever. I used to grow old standard varieties and leave some for seed and till them in, when I did row gardening. Each spring, I would pull all but a few and end up with nicely spaced plants. I had tomatoes by the bushel. I used cages and of course had to get down to work them. Those days have flown the coop.

Patio gardening is so nice and grows beautiful plants, but no more hybrids for me. We have several family farms that have their own fruit stands, so that is the best way for me these days.

Now I'm going to go see if what I have are hybrid tomatoes. I used to grow Early Girl, no problem.
Now I cannot grow them. These are Better Boys, I think, and one cherry tomato plant which already has tomatoes showing on it. I love the little yellow pear-shaped ones, but I couldn't find any of those.

I used to have good results with early girls, but it seemed they changed over the years. They are a hybrid. I think the cool spring here had an effect on the tomatoes and melons. I bought a few, up the road, at the farm fruit stand and the flavor just wasn't there as it has been in most years. Last few years the watermelons have been weak on flavor.

Last edited:
I used to have good results with early girls, but it seemed they changed over the years. They are a hybrid. I think the cool spring here had an effect on the tomatoes and melons. I bought a few, up the road, at the farm fruit stand and the flavor just wasn't there as it has been in most years. Last few years the watermelons have been weak on flavor.
I agree. And same with strawberries.

Our tomatoes are sorry once again. But the raspberries have gone nuts this year. This is the 6th picking of raspberries off the wife's little 30 foot row of raspberries. After three pickings she said she had enough. Some neighbors came and picked twice. She picked these this morning so apparently she wasn't done picking them. Been getting about that many berries every other day.

P7153095.JPG

Nice haul of raspberries. Have you ever picked the wild cutleaf blackberries in your area? Interesting that your tomatoes didn't do well. I bought my first local watermelon yesterday and it was good but not great like they were years ago. I think it was the cool weather we had in the spring. Maybe in a month the later picking will be sweeter.

It has been hot and dry here. No rain since May. So far all fires have been nipped in the bud. Well, out for my walk before it warms to rattlesnake friendly.

Speaking of rattlesnakes, killed one (very cranky) in the garage a couple days ago and one in the yard today.
Took a drive in the mtns yesterday afternoon, our nephew is here, was 98 when we left our driveway, coolest spot in the mtns was 82. Much nicer! Still lot's of flowers and the huckleberries are on :) Just starting in some spots and really good in others. Barely picked and got close to a quart. Supposed to be HOT again today then cool off for a couple days. Have a potluck at church today.

The nights are cooler here, but the days are still hot. The dryness is severe. We haven't had a good rain for a couple of months. I won't count the one that just made a few mini craters in the dust last June.

The 3rd cutting of alfalfa hay is ready for baling and looks to be about like the first two for yield that differed by only a few bales. It looks like 4 good high yield cuttings this year.

Last edited:
Warm air noted this morning during my 3:30 AM patio workout ritual. A visual sweep of the sky revealed clouds with a few breaks letting some moon beams through. Possibly a drought breaker.

Based on this observation, I predict that there is a 78.4% chance of a thunderstorm today. Now at 5 AM I feel the air cooling but lacking in the smell necessary for rain and also no rumbling, so I may have to revise the precentage of my prediction within the hour.

Had the ranchers not got their 3rd cutting baled and stacked yesterday, rain would be certain. It is seriously dry here, dry to the bone so to speak.

A little tune that just popped in my head. I hear guitar, bass fiddle, fiddle, mandolin, and washboard. Bluegrass style will work best.

Dry Dry, Dry to the Bone
by Faye

Calling on God, I don't mean by phone
Praying for rain, it is dry to the bone
Dry, dry, it is dry to the bone
Move over y'all and hang up the phone

Calling on God, join me on God's party line
Praying for rain, by the Lords design
I say y'all, fall pasture isn't lookin so fine
Time for a talk with the one divine

Calling on God, the dust is fine and light
It rises high in the air, an awful sight
I say y'all, we gotta get it right
Pray y'all, I mean now, not tonight

Calling on God, I can't do it alone
The ground is parched, it is dry as a bone
Dry, so dry the bank, won't give out a loan
With wildfires raging, threatening the home

Calling on God, I don't mean by phone
Praying for rain, it is dry to the bone
Dry, dry, it is dry to the bone
Move over y'all and hang up the phone

UPDATE: Prediction revised 7:15 AM to .03% chance of rain today. The sun is shining and 75 degrees.

Last edited:

Latest posts