• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We are under a winter storm warning from about now until tomorrow afternoon. I don't know if it will do all that the weather guessers are saying. But it is starting to spit snow now. And the weather radar shows everything to the west is blue (snow). Oh well, the wood shed, pantry, and fuel tanks are all full. There is plenty of hay for the cows.

The winter storm was late arriving. When we went to bed at 10 there still wasn't any snow. Got up this morning it was snowing and blowing. When I fed this morning there was 12-15 cows on the wrong side of the river....... oh boy. This is going to be a joy herding them down stream 300 yards to the crossing on the quad in the blowing snow. I pulled down to the crossing in the feed truck, honked the horn, sat there and slowly they came down and crossed the river. Once across the river they ran to the feed row. Cows.......

The winter storm was late arriving. When we went to bed at 10 there still wasn't any snow. Got up this morning it was snowing and blowing. When I fed this morning there was 12-15 cows on the wrong side of the river....... oh boy. This is going to be a joy herding them down stream 300 yards to the crossing on the quad in the blowing snow. I pulled down to the crossing in the feed truck, honked the horn, sat there and slowly they came down and crossed the river. Once across the river they ran to the feed row. Cows.......
You used your head. Sometimes with cows, wait, MOST TIMES WITH COWS, a little patience goes a long ways.
Years ago a friend of ours, who was only about 9 at the time, helped a rancher trail about 300 cows to the mountain permit. It was just the neighbor rancher and Tom, who was about 9 years old. They had to go through a pasture on the way and the cows in that pasture ran over and got mixed with the cows headed to the mountain. Tom got excited, as kids do, and said, "oh boy, what are we going to do now?"

The rancher said, "I'm going to take a nap." So he got off his horse, laid down with his hat pulled over his face, (like cowboys do) and went to sleep. He woke up about an hour later, the pasture cows had gone through their cows and had gone on. The rancher got back on his horse and he and Tom started trailing their cows on to the mountain. They had maybe 2 or 3 of the pasture cows that were still with their bunch, but they were easy to sort out.

I always remembered that story. It has helped us for years to remember, don't get in a hurry when doing something with cattle. Tom never forgot it either.

An old rancher I worked for 40+ years ago said that you don't raise your voice or dust when working cows. Very true words.
This morning I had to lead the cows away from where the majority were eating hay. I wasn't sure if it would work but I sure wasn't looking forward to using the quad. The river is on the left edge of the picture. The cows were about there. Straight across from the end of the feed row. They had to go to the right completely out of sight of the other cows. But that truck that time of the day and the honking horn means food. They didn't set any land speed records but there was a couple who came along and the others followed.

Attachments

• P1262328.JPG
    P1262328.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 30
Big Muddy will be happy to know that the wind blew hard enough here today that it blew the flag pole and all out of the bracket. I found it about 80 feet from the light pole. I went out to check the cows and came back to find the wife up the ladder putting the flag back up.

Attachments

• P2012342.JPG
    P2012342.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 24
Been super mild here, have 50 some AI and early 'new bull' bred calves on the ground. Unfortunately have had 3 hard heifer pulls in the las 24 hours, at least the weather is good :censored:

Big Muddy will be happy to know that the wind blew hard enough here today that it blew the flag pole and all out of the bracket. I found it about 80 feet from the light pole. I went out to check the cows and came back to find the wife up the ladder putting the flag back up.
That's what you get for your ragging about no wind. lol

After that night of 100MPH wind I'm not looking forward to any more any time soon.

Big change in the weather here today. Snowing and some wind. Not a blizzard, yet. Going to be below zero temps at night for the next week and they are calling for up to 6" of snow down here in the Big Horn mountain foothills. We are ready for moisture. The mountains are very dry. We travelled east to Moorcroft last Sunday, dry all the way except for Sundance. There was snow there, per usual.

In summary, the weather sucks. This morning is just about as bad as it can get for a Texas cow. Thirty-three degrees and raining, with enough north wind to give a chill factor of 24 degrees. Worse to come over the weekend, temperature-wise, with some heavy snow starting to shape up for the first of next week.

You northern guys tell me something to make me feel better, please.

It is forecast to be below freezing the next 5 or 6 days. Not real cold, the lows in the high teens. Snow about every day but not much. Western Washington where they don't get much snow is getting hammered. The weather guessers are calling for 16 inches snow in the Columbia Gorge. That is for tonight with more to come tomorrow and the next day.
I saw a picture on Facebook. A weather man with a picture of the Puget Sound region behind him predicting 12 inches of snow. Someone commented that it didn't matter because those people can't drive on dry pavement. And if you have ever had to drive in the Seattle area you would know they are right.

Latest posts