• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

-7 and calm wind. That won't feel too bad if the wind is calm. Big muddy what town is the closest to you?

We awoke to a 30mph wind and spitting snow/hail. Cows are down in the brush and draws out of most of it. Glad to have plenty of elevation changes and cover for them. Supposed to snow most of the week. But it's not bitter cold yet

It is 40 out and the snow is melting. Things are going to be a sloppy mess here for the next week or two. Hopefully we get that nightly freeze and warm sun during the day to dry things up.

It's a blustery afternoon as the wind is still hanging around. But the scattered flurries sure make for pretty pictures
4102A8CE-0147-4542-9C07-0044E72926DB.jpeg

Yesterday was cold

Attachments

• B885FC91-9475-48BE-94FB-47B95ED4ACD3.jpeg
    B885FC91-9475-48BE-94FB-47B95ED4ACD3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 2BCFD824-9B51-47E8-AE1C-EFFDBD104D84.jpeg
    2BCFD824-9B51-47E8-AE1C-EFFDBD104D84.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 2A00A833-EA78-476F-B139-B7EA834EFDA3.jpeg
    2A00A833-EA78-476F-B139-B7EA834EFDA3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 31
It would be interesting to know how many calves this system froze, what I hear locally, it's been the challenge you would expect. What I have read, it's been that for a lot more folks than generally need to expect that result. Been warmer here for 2 and a half days. Some mud this afternoon which will have a short life, but that 2 tenths is welcome.

I had a friend tell me he had lost 10 already and those were only the ones that were born after the snow that he could see easily.He said there is no telling how many there were covered by the snow.He had put bulls in with his cows on April 15th last year.

At 4:30am it is 53 here in West central Texas.Yesterday my truck read 85 all afternoon long.We got down to zero last week and had some wind chills to -18.That's a heck of a swing in temps.

Heck maybe this global warming is real? Texas and Arkansas having blizzards and freezing while us Utah folks are sun tanning clear up in the 40s. It's sure been mild out here. Sorry for those who have suffered with the snow and cold, especially the cattle.

I watched a video a friend sent me yesterday by a scientist that said we started a cooling trend 11,000 years ago after a long warming trend started at the end of the ice age and he predicts it will get colder and dryer for the next 50 years at least.

Last edited:
Well I reckon the global warming trend is over here 😁 just came in from chores and it's a toasty 7 above. Frost had covered the ground and the old sisters had a nice coat on their backs as well. Thankfully the breeze had died down in the night. It felt like somebody left the back door open from Canada last night.

I watched a video a friend sent me yesterday by a scientist that said we started a cooling trend 11,000 years ago after a long warming trend started at the end of the ice age and he predicts it will get colder and dryer for the next 50 years at least.
Interesting. Mr. FH grew up in this area of WY and we ranched here for many years. He maintains always that it has gotten much warmer than it was when he was younger. Others say the same thing. Colder would be okay with us, but certainly not drier. We have noticed where we lived in SW Montana that it is now warmer there than the 18 years we lived there. SE Mt where we lived for 22 years does not get nearly as much snow in winter and it's not as cold in the winter as it used to be. That part is a good thing. I have heard stories of the guys on the oil rigs that worked in the 50 below zero weather. It was brutal.

I guess time will tell. Colder and drier would not be good for food production.

Mr FH would be correct in the thinking he has had for the years he has been alive.I guess I have to explain a little better,because we are talking about trending for the last 11,000 years.Each warming trend has been a little cooler and each cooling trend has been the same since we came out of the ice age.Right now the heating trend we are in has a tail on it that has really shot up over the last 15 to 20 years.Looking at the graph lows and highs over the last 11,000 you can see the decline curve on both the warm side and the cool side of the median line.I wish I could post the video,but it's just too large and this site won't let me do it.

Latest posts