• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Partly cloudy. Light wind. Supposed to get to 76 degrees. 24% chance of rain. That could mean anything.
Weather shows 90 degrees for a high on June 3. YUK. Too cold too long, too hot too soon.
Like someone told me once, "you just as well like it, you can't change it."
Same here with 102 forecasts for next week and no more rain in sight. That is going to be a disaster for rangeland unless we get some serious rain in June. The winds of the last few days have really taken the moisture out of the soil. I dug down where it isn't watered and it is dry down to 4". Next week's heat will be good for Goatheads (Punchervines) only in unirrigated fields. The north Oregon desert country east of the Cascades clear over to the Blues is infested with Goatheads. Years ago they were controlled when they were introducing the weevils that loved eating Goatheads, but it seems the program was canceled. I invested in the weevils trying to take the buck by the horns, but others didn't so I lost the battle. Now with a dry year and triple digits forecast, I fear the Goatheads will be everywhere. Goatheads and Crows are two opponents that have defeated me.

I didn't know what Goatheads were so I looked them up. They look terrible when they dry up and sounds like they are!
And Crows, do you mean crows, the birds?
Yes, ma'am! They have a 5-year memory and actually, we have more ravens than crows. I once battled with them, but once the wildlife expert gave me a book to read, 7 years ago, about their memory and passing along grudges to their young, we are getting along better but I was the one that had to concede and start talking nice to them and quit spraying them with the high-pressure hose. They still drag in mulberries on my patio, but they don't sit on my gutters backwards and poop purple poop like they once did. I have to sweet talk to them and that pains me but better than cleaning up purple poop off my patio. The mulberries can be sprayed off with no stain unless stepped on, but that poop is something else.

I had Goatheads by the shop and along the edge of the driveway. Oldest son came over deer hunting and brought his 3 kids. All three of the kid's bikes had two flat tires in about 20 minutes. 24D will kill it so as soon as it starts to show up I will declare war. The kids will be back in the fall and I want them to be able to ride their bikes.

No, I have spent enough time on this project I want it done.
Got it all together late morning. Looking at it I wondered how you prime this pump. Looked at the old one. They put a Tee in at the outlet with the Tee pointed up and a plug. Dang, back to Ace in Baker City. Got home I need a 3/4 inch Tee. This one is 3/4, 3/4, 1/2 inch. Must have got mixed in with the 3/4's. Well I will wait until tomorrow when we are in town for church. If I went now it would be trip #4 to town to get this stupid pump running.

Strange weather this year. I really sympathize with you guys going through a drouth and wish I could share some rain because it's way too wet around here. We've had over 12" in May and more rain in the forecast for most of next week. Not to mention that it's cool enough for a jacket out this morning.

Strange weather this year. I really sympathize with you guys going through a drouth and wish I could share some rain because it's way too wet around here. We've had over 12" in May and more rain in the forecast for most of next week. Not to mention that it's cool enough for a jacket out this morning.
I wish you could share it too. Have a horse trainer close friend near Aubrey Texas and he told me that it has rained a bunch there and the forecast is for more.

Our forecast is for 94 today, 99 Tues., 104 Wed., 100 Thurs., and by Mon., it will drop to 71. A 30-degree drop within a week isn't all that uncommon. No rain predicted.

The irrigated hayfields and pastures will respond well to the heat, but the range and timberland will suffer badly. About the only thing I see on ungrazed and unirrigated pasture and range is Foxtail and it has gone to seed and of little value for fall if it is lucky enough not to be consumed by wildfire.

Last edited:
Our forecast is 85 today. At 8:30 it is already 69. Tomorrow 87, then 95, 91, and cooler by the weekend. Early next week it is in the upper 60s'.

After a few weeks of a little rain here and a little rain there we are finally getting enough downpours to get some runoff into our dry stock tanks.Temps have been on the cool side.Low 60's at night and low 80's during the day.The pastures are loving it.So are the cows and wildlife.

Currently, 58 at 0533 hours and 100 predicted today. They upped tomorrow to 105. The 2nd cutting alfalfa is looking good with the pivot wheel going 24/7. Not sure when they will cut but I am guessing about 2 weeks.

It is supposed to be in the 90's the next two days. We are going to get the AC in the window today. By Monday it is going back down to the 60's. I guess we wont need to run the AC then.

Thank goodness the heat wave is supposed to be short lived. The cooler temps are the only thing saving the grasses.
Many times in June cooling also brings rain which is great and needed for the grass, but it presents problems for haying. Hopefully, the rains will come but wait till all the hay is baled and out of the field.

Many times in June cooling also brings rain which is great and needed for the grass, but it presents problems for haying. Hopefully, the rains will come but wait till all the hay is baled and out of the field.
That would happen in a perfect world. But we can hope...

Arizona desert conditions report requires no words.
dust.jpg

Latest posts