• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We are pretty good for irrigation water this summer. The Unity Reservoir which serves us is 72% full. Thief's Valley is the highest at 96%. Owyhee which serves a huge area is at 43%. And it is looking like no water for the Baker Valley as Phillips Reservoir is at 10%.

We ended up with an inch of snow. And a little rain prior. Happy for every drop and flake. Number 11 decided it was a fine night to calve. Solid Red Bull calf. All is well 😁
D0712BD7-5321-4819-9230-BDDDB32E8EC9.jpeg

We got a wee bit of snow, enough to make little puddles. Sure hope we get more. One neighbor (who also owns Les Schwab in town) paid $310/ton for last years hay in a barn. Scary for sure.
Sure wish you could get the rains we have been getting all through fall, winter, and currently almost daily. The last two days have been heavy all-day rain. The ditch has been as full as it can be since the 1st. The pivoting wheel lines have only made one trip across the fields and then one trip back and now rest as their wheel ruts are full of rainwater. The alfalfa hay fields look great despite one heavy frost but at the cost of hay that is nothing for the cattle rancher that has to buy to get excited about. The dairy farm buyers want to secure their hay needs at $300 a ton, but so far no hay grower is going to be obligated to a fixed price and the hay truckers are refusing to sign any contracts tying them to a fixed per mile price.

Did the Browns sell the Lew Brothers Les Schwab? I know Jim had a few acres below Poverty flats and his son is a Championship steer wrestler, but be that as it may, I cannot imagine Rocky and Dianne becoming ranchers. I can't imagine Princess Dianne in Carhartts bibs gloved to the shoulder, turning calves, but I am sure stranger things have happened. Somehow my memory (mostly unreliable these days) says Pleas had a ranch somewhere out your way. I know he lived in town near the high school.

Anyway lots of rain with wind and cold temperatures. A lot milder wind today and steady rain.

Last edited:
Did the Browns sell the Lew Brothers Les Schwab? I know Jim had a few acres below Poverty flats and his son is a Championship steer wrestler, but be that as it may, I cannot imagine Rocky and Dianne becoming ranchers. I can't imagine Princess Dianne in Carhartts bibs gloved to the shoulder, turning calves, but I am sure stranger things have happened. Somehow my memory (mostly unreliable these days) says Pleas had a ranch somewhere out your way. I know he lived in town near the high school.
Browns still have Lew Brothers. At least Jim and Rocky were both there a couple of weeks ago. The rest I am not sure of.

Sure wish you could get the rains we have been getting all through fall, winter, and currently almost daily. The last two days have been heavy all-day rain. The ditch has been as full as it can be since the 1st. The pivoting wheel lines have only made one trip across the fields and then one trip back and now rest as their wheel ruts are full of rainwater. The alfalfa hay fields look great despite one heavy frost but at the cost of hay that is nothing for the cattle rancher that has to buy to get excited about. The dairy farm buyers want to secure their hay needs at $300 a ton, but so far no hay grower is going to be obligated to a fixed price and the hay truckers are refusing to sign any contracts tying them to a fixed per mile price.

Anyway lots of rain with wind and cold temperatures. A lot milder wind today and steady rain.
It was Jim I was talking about. Yes, his dad a place out here, Jim has it now, and bought a couple more places right next to us.

It was Jim I was talking about. Yes, his dad a place out here, Jim has it now, and bought a couple more places right next to us.
Thanks! That is interesting. Good to see someone with substantial means buying ranch land so it doesn't fall into the hands of recreational investors. I hope you are getting some rain. Webfoot says Thief valley is 96% full. Do you irrigate from it? We are sure getting a lot of rain here and not as much wind which is good.

The last 4 mornings I woke up to snow on the ground. Monday and this morning were the heaviest. A little over 2 inches both times of heavy wet snow. This afternoon I checked my rain gauge. It had 0.45 inch of water. I am hoping it soaked in. Every little bit helps. The river hasn't come up at all. If anything it dropped a little.

Thanks! That is interesting. Good to see someone with substantial means buying ranch land so it doesn't fall into the hands of recreational investors. I hope you are getting some rain. Webfoot says Thief valley is 96% full. Do you irrigate from it? We are sure getting a lot of rain here and not as much wind which is good.
No we are on a small ditch company, snow melt from the Eagle caps. Run out in July on a good year. Our leased ground borders Thief Valley

Cool, overcast, with rain predicted for the next 10 days. No high winds are predicted meaning nothing over 20 MPH. It looks like it may warm some next week and we might see day temps of 60.

25*f and 15mph wind. Yesterday was almost 50* and snow was melting fast! Still 6 feet tho

Snowing again for the 5th morning in 6 days. A two story house with a very steep metal roof the snow slides right off. The wife has tulips and daffodils in a flower bed right under the eve. They were up good and even starting to bloom. Big clumps of wet snow dropping 20 feet on to them has been hard on them.

P4152830.JPG

Heavy rain with mixed snow and ice coming down at an angle indicating it has blown in from the south. As an old ranchhand that I once worked with said when asked about the current weather conditions on a morning like this, "Well it is either blowing snow, freezing rain, both, or all three!" It seems we are getting all three here in the former banana belt this lovely Saturday morning. :)

There sure won't be an old gray-haired lady, one such as myself, sashaying along the hayfield road this morning. Although I don't need the caffeine, I am going for a 3rd cup of old Joe. Too bad Evans isn't close as he wouldn't mind walking over (since this kind of Eastern Oregon weather is tropical to him) and play a game of Cribbage. ;)

Last edited:
Mr. FH said it was 1 degree when he got up at 4 am. It's 42 right now and has been breezy all day.
Great grand kids came today and plans were to eat dinner and go to an Easter Egg hunt up the road about 5 miles. We ate and headed up there and HOLY SMOKES, the whole county must have been there to hunt Easter eggs!!! We didn't even try it. By the time we would have walked back from where we would have had to park, the hunt would have been over! Next year, we'll have some kids and have an Easter Egg hunt right here!!!

Now if all those parents who took their kids to hunt Easter eggs are in church with them tomorrow, then Hallelujah!!

May you have a Blessed Easter, everyone!!

They have an egg hunt tomorrow morning at church. I think I should be allowed to join in the fun for several reasons.
A: The kids are all faster than me.
B: The kids can bend over and pick things up off the ground better than I can.
C: They have better eye sight than I do

So actually they have an unfair advantage over me.

They have an egg hunt tomorrow morning at church. I think I should be allowed to join in the fun for several reasons.
A: The kids are all faster than me.
B: The kids can bend over and pick things up off the ground better than I can.
C: They have better eye sight than I do

So actually they have an unfair advantage over me.
I will call your pastor and try to negotiate the following deal for you

A. You can use a zero turn mower (deck not engaged) with
B. A hydraulic extendable and adjustable grabber mounted and
C. You can use a pair of trained service dogs, a Labrador to spot the eggs and the other a Border Collie to grab the heels of any kid approaching an egg.

Latest posts