• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Just starting to get light out. The thermometer says 36 degrees. I am at 2700 feet elevation. The hills around me have snow at 3,200-3,500 feet. Sidewalk is wet. Lots of puddles in the driveway. It must have rained pretty good last night. Really having to work on my desire to go change irrigation this morning.

Just starting to get light out. The thermometer says 36 degrees. I am at 2700 feet elevation. The hills around me have snow at 3,200-3,500 feet. Sidewalk is wet. Lots of puddles in the driveway. It must have rained pretty good last night. Really having to work on my desire to go change irrigation this morning.
That amazes me Webfoot. I would of guessed you had more altitude than that. We live at 5700. I kinda figured we were about the same

T
That amazes me Webfoot. I would of guessed you had more altitude than that. We live at 5700. I kinda figured we were about the same
Farther south you go the higher it gets. Wife's old ranch on the Oregon/Nevada border was 4,500 feet at the ranch house. The top of the hill behind the house is 4,700. Farewell Bend (where the Oregon trail left the Snake River) about 20 miles from here is at 2,100.
Changing the tarps in the ditch was a lot of fun this morning. Nothing like sticking your hands in the water while it is 36 and raining. I will get felling back in my fingers eventually.
Tulips blooming in the flower bed. Apple tree in full bloom. And snow on the hill just behind the house. Got to love spring in eastern Oregon. I bet the 200 cow/calf pairs on that hill are real happy this morning.
P5082886.JPG
P5082887.JPG
P5082888.JPG

Last edited:
Do you have wells? If so how are they holding up? The dams sound like a great idea. Do you have stock tanks? We shall continue to pray for rain and cooler temperatures for you.
I have only had trouble with one water well out of the 4 on the place.It is one that produced good thru the 2011/2012 drought though. There is only one stock tank on the place. There aren't more tanks there because of the 2 creeks I think. Previous owners never did have water problems.

Having the hay makes my stress level go down,but I'm going to need this hay for the Winter.

On top of all this my wife came down with covid last night. Tested positive on one of the rapid tests that we ordered from the government.

Day 3 of some sun and no rain. So far the wind is very low, a mere breeze so I am trying to get up the courage to once again disobey doctors' orders issued 20 years ago and go out and play young and dumb city lot rancher. I am no longer young but the dumb seem to rule my activities. I must get it done today to get the sprinklers back on or beat the rain. Rain or drought, it doesn't matter, the work must be done, and no better day than today. I tried hiring help a few years ago and they created more work and expense for me damaging sprinklers and doing a sorry job.

It seems that all of you are having less than an ideal spring and I admire all of you for your dedication to your ranches and figuring out ways to overcome and survive. As one of my grandmas would say, "Don't dwell too much on today's problems because tomorrow you will have a new set of problems to deal with." While we plan for the future (winter mainly) we do it one day at a time.

For some odd reason, I heard one of my great aunts' voices just now saying the same thing she did years ago while I assisted her in pruning her 10-acre orchard. "If it was possible to hook those shears up to your jaws this entire orchard would be pruned already." With that, I will shut up and fold the last laundry load, get on my heavy USA-made Wranglers and old boots and tackle the task at hand.

Beautiful day here with sun, 64 degrees F, and a light breeze. I finally finished my yard including fertilizing. I am sore from head to toe. That should be the last major clean-up till fall. No rain in the forecast so the sprinklers are back on. I pray that all of you that need rain, get it soon.

Today at 7am$%*@* snow again now rain for 2 more daze
You are begging for it to stop and we are praying for it to start.
Jimmy Dean sang a song about it once, I did a search but couldn't find it.
Farmer was praying for rain all through the song, then came harvest time and
then he was singing, "Please Lord, don't let it rain."

We did get .2 yesterday.

It is crazy! Yesterday was a nice sunny day, a bit on the cool side, perfect for removing my old out of control bushes and replacing them after working up the soil and removing all the weeds and grass. Sounds simple, maybe 4 hours work, tops, but what did I find but a lot of large, shallow buried rocks and bushes with roots that were tough and defiant. I had my 6-foot sixty-pound pry bar made from an old antique buggy axle, working as a fulcrum, getting the last bush pushed up like a dentist pulling a tooth when I saw the last offending roots a couple of feet down. I used my sharpshooter trench digger shovel to chop it and with several mighty blows, I severed it and also the main sprinkler line hidden under it.

The blast from that 1 1/2" line knocked me back and sent me getting the main turn-off rod and shutting the system down. I finally got the bush removed and then baled out the water in the hole. I realized I was exhausted and had gone way beyond my healthy safe level. My chest burned and my breathing was shallow. I gave it up thinking I would get an early start this morning and get the water back on before things got too dry since we were on day 4 of no rain and while the wind was moderate, it would dry the soil out fast.

It rained all last night and is still raining today. After feeling defeated and not being able to make the pipe repair today, it occurred to me that with the rain I don't need the sprinklers, so all is well. But the awful mess cleanup, pipe repair, and planting new bushes still nags me because I hate not being able to finish a job.

Also, the 2' deep by 4' wide hole is filled with rainwater. So here I am with a day off from yard work and rural road walking and can't find the attitude to go grocery shopping or cook chili and make cornbread.

Last edited:
There is a right time to finish a job. It's not a horse race. Relax a little!
Think of it as the Kentucky Derby. The 80 to 1 underdog wins. It doesn't matter if you are the favorite going for the win. The underdog is going to beat you anyways. Might just as well kick back and relax. Sit in the shade and sip a cold one.

Latest posts