• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Windy and cool. About 48 F when I braved my rural walk. Rain every other day so no hay cut yet. The wind of the last 24 hours has dried the ground, but no wheel lines going due to the wind. I had to wrap up like it was March. I had to look down to keep my cap on. The foxtail behind me is 5 feet tall! Generally, it is sparse and never gets more than 16" high and one can see dirt, rocks, tumbleweeds, and goatheads.

19203241PJQAdpGD.jpg

Last edited:
Wind blowing to beat hell here. Miserable day to be digging up a bad power line. Could plant tomatoes in my ears with all the dirt blowed in there. Storm coming tomorrow. Hope it does more than blow

We branded a little bunch of 50 calves at Bert's. Just 3 ropers and 3 of us on the ground. It hailed hard and was driven by the wind. Those of us on the ground turned our backs to the hail which also turned our backs to the pen. It was a pretty slow operation. Took 2 hours to do 50 calves.Combination of the weather and our ropers today. I don't know why they were worried about catching covid? They couldn't catch anything today.

Big cold rain and ice storm just passed through. It came from Webfoot's direction and thankfully the hail was just small ice particles by the time it hit here. @ webfoot, You may want to hold on to that calf table if this bad luck with ropers continues :ROFLMAO:! Hopefully, Leanin H won't read your post :LOL:!

Big cold rain and ice storm just passed through. It came from Webfoot's direction and thankfully the hail was just small ice particles by the time it hit here. @ webfoot, You may want to hold on to that calf table if this bad luck with ropers continues :ROFLMAO:! Hopefully, Leanin H won't read your post :LOL:!
These guys are pretty handy cowboys. Roping while hail is blowing sideways might have been an issue. There is an 8 year old girl here who has been roping at some of the brandings. At one point Bert said maybe we should call her and she if she is busy today. Several other names of good ropers who weren't there were mentioned.

These guys are pretty handy cowboys. Roping while hail is blowing sideways might have been an issue. There is an 8 year old girl here who has been roping at some of the brandings. At one point Bert said maybe we should call her and she if she is busy today. Several other names of good ropers who weren't there were mentioned.
Typical roper!!! 🙄
It was too cold for my poor little fingers. The hail got in my eyes! The breeze made my rope miss! I'm scared to rope against an 8 year old girl!!!
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Nasty day here today. Cold. Wind. Rain. Wind. Cold. Sleet. Wind. After .2 of rain, the sun came out.
So now we wait for the next chance for rain. It's very green here now, hoping we get more
moisture or it won't last. Gee whiz, it's the third week of May. Time is running out!!
We are also waiting for the irrigation water to be turned on so we can start irrigating.
It's always been a 'wait and see' country or 'next year country.' It still is.

We got around a foot of snow yesterday. We put CIDR's in 70 head yesterday morning. At least there wasn't dust. We needed it because all its done is blow the last several weeks and we were dry.

Attachments

• CFBD1778-819E-466C-A211-8BA15EF085BD.jpeg
    CFBD1778-819E-466C-A211-8BA15EF085BD.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
It rained heavy and steady all night and still is. I have never seen anything like this spring. A few were lucky enough to get their 1st cutting premium alfalfa baled on day 4 of the only 4 consecutive warm sunny days we have had. Many were not and downed hay has suffered three rains now with the current rainfall showing no sign of letting up after 8 hours. 1st cutting was already 2 weeks later than usual. Rain damage hay bringing $263 a ton is just crazy. With premium 1st cutting bringing $340 a ton and last year's stored 2nd cutting going for $350, I expect my cottage cheese and yogurt will take another price hike.

I remember when I was about 12 and had my first couple of calves and for some seeming unfair reason, the market dropped when I was ready to sell. After I received the bad news I stamped my foot several times and said, "I won't stand for it Daddy, I won't stand for it!" My father said, "Well then little Miss, you best sit down."

Last edited:
Happy for you 'H!!! We got .50" on friday, and almost an inch overnight. It's still coming down hard. Thank you Lord!!! Things have sure turned around here this spring. Went from looking like a disaster to some of the best grass we've ever had. Not out of the woods hay wise with the prices MC is talking about, but the cows will do well this summer.
We heard a guy in Baker valley sold 650 tons in the windrow for $285/ton :oops:
MC- how much rain have you had in May?

Happy for you 'H!!! We got .50" on friday, and almost an inch overnight. It's still coming down hard. Thank you Lord!!! Things have sure turned around here this spring. Went from looking like a disaster to some of the best grass we've ever had. Not out of the woods hay wise with the prices MC is talking about, but the cows will do well this summer.
We heard a guy in Baker valley sold 650 tons in the windrow for $285/ton :oops:
MC- how much rain have you had in May?
The rain is still coming down heavy here. My gauge shows 1" in the last 10 hours and the forecast is for 1.5" more before the 1st. Low areas are on flood warning. The weather channel says we have had 13 days of rain here in May for 1.5" which must not include the recent rain of at least an inch. I will keep checking for updates and make a note to check the total for May 2022 after the first. One neighbor says she has measured 3" so far.

I just came through Baker and it was raining hard. Top of the hill at the Pleasant Valley exit is was 36 degrees and half the stuff falling out of the sky was white. I haven't checked out the rain gauge yet because I need to put on my rubber boots to check it.

I can't believe I am saying this. WE HAVE GOTTEN 3" SO FAR!! Looks like more is on the way.
Doing the dance of joy! We haven't seen this since 2017!
There are flood warnings out for Kaycee/Barnum area.
This should move out sometime later this evening.
Story WY, which isn't far from us but is higher altitude has this forecast: 10-20" of SNOW!

And now, this:
Until 1230 PM MDT Tuesday.
Impacts
Minor flooding in low-lying and poor drainage areas. River or stream flows are elevated. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS... - At 1018 PM MDT, Emergency Management reported heavy rain causing small stream flooding in Little Goose Creek south of Big Horn. Backyard flooding was reported. Between 2 and 4 inches of rain have fallen. - Little Goose Creek south of Big Horn is the most likely place to experience minor flooding. Flooding along other streams and creeks in the area is likely. Additional rainfall amounts of 0.5 to 1 inch are expected over the area. This additional rain will result in continued minor flooding. - Some locations that will experience flooding include... Sheridan, Ranchester, Dayton, Big Horn, Parkman, Wyola, Banner and Crow Indian Reservation. - http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood
Tips
Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood deaths occur in vehicles. Do not drive on or attempt to cross flooded roads, find an alternate route. Roads and driveways may be damaged or washed out in places. Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize the dangers of flooding. Please report observed flooding to local emergency officials and request they pass the information to the National Weather Service in Billings.
Issued By
NWS Billings
😅🤣😂

Latest posts