• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I can't imagine hail like that, would be devastating, and I can't imagine the poor animals. I know Soapweed said they had a hail storm and you could see bloody streaks on black cowso_O Sure wouldn't be good to hit a feedlot.
On a happier note we got .85" on sat and sunday! Rode for some friends today and had long johns on.
Perfect!!!! Life is good where you are.

On the hail, sister in law said an eye was knocked out of a horse that belonged to someone she knew. I would imagine there would be more than one. Sad.

On a happier note we got .85" on sat and sunday! Rode for some friends today and had long johns on.
Yesterday when we got home from church the wife was wanting to build a fire in the wood stove. This morning when I got in from changing the irrigation I thought about doing that.

We haven't had big hail, just the shotgun smaller stuff. Very little wheat or sugar beets left, corn is knocked way back. Some grass hailed flat and turning white just like the wheat, lots of late beans getting planted, the surrounding areas the grass looks good. Grass hay will be a decent crop, the alfalfa 1st is rags. One circle right by town has looked dead for almost 2 weeks. My no-till oats are alive only because I didn't spray the antique alfalfa dead.

Day 2 of no rain and high winds. Donning my hardhat for a short logging job, bumping some knobs off fallen sizable branches, and then bucking them up. After that, I will put on my ranching hat and get the pasture/lawn mowed. It has been a week only and the grass is 6" tall. I am making a note to not fertilize next year.

The thermometer says it is 39 outside. I am sitting here trying to work up the courage to go stick my hands in the water changing irrigation. When it is hot out I have no problem getting it done at first light. When it is this cool I wonder why I am not doing this in the afternoon when it is warmer.
The weather forecast says high of 61 with considerable clouds and a 50% chance of rain. All I see is blue skies. Got to wonder where these forecasters get their information.
Forgot to hit the enter button. Irrigation all done for the day.

Still no rain here, but cool temperatures so far. Going to get to 98 on Friday. We are thinking of starting to hay the dryland hay because it won't last long getting that hot and no rain on it.
Mr. FH is still hoping to irrigate part of it. That's what he is doing right now. So thankful we got that 3.5 inches of rain on Memorial Day or we would really be in trouble. It's raining east and north of us, but not here.

Have I mentioned I love rain? 😊

Belle Fourche and Phillip SD have had devastating hail. Phillip for 2 nights in a row.
I've seen pictures...baseball size hail and some of it jagged. I hope it hasn't hurt any livestock.
Sure raised heck with buildings, grass, etc. It was in a big area.

Still waiting for rain here. Not looking good for this next week. Going to get hot too.
Talked to a guy in NE, he said it was hot there and was to get over 100 today.
dead cows on hill tops between Belle and Newell .

Crazy here! 58 now at 1 PM with a cold wind blowing. I even donned my jacket but never made it to the alfalfa field before the wind chilled me. The thought of having to put my heavy windproof vest under in June is a bit upsetting. The alfalfa measured 22" yesterday but it rained last night and started again today so it may be July before they get the second cutting. One day I am dressed like I am on the beach in the Caribbean and the next, I am dressed like I am readying for the Arctic Circle dog shed races.

The wife is gone until tomorrow and I had nothing to do. So I decided to take my new to me pickup for a drive up to see how much water was in the reservoir. I went on into Unity to the little store and picked up something to eat. Pulled back over to the state park to eat my lunch/snack. I heard a roll of thunder. Studied the clouds for a minute and decided that storm was headed right at me. All the way down the Burnt River I just stayed ahead of the storm (40 miles +/-). As I pulled down the driveway the storm started catching me. It was raining. I quickly let the dogs out of the kennel. Rain was picking up as I hurried to the house. 20 seconds after I got inside the sky opened up. Poured rain and hail. Now 30 minutes later it is blue sky and the sun is shining.

60 mph sustained winds today with gusts over 70. Made for a fun day of beating brush on my little tractor. I HATE wind. Especially when it isn't blowing in a rain storm. No rain in the next two weeks according to the weather guessers on TV and radio

A degree below freezing this morning and…………… moisture. Good thing most of the oats got seeded yesterday.
0C1BF0F3-2BA3-4241-B173-69A3F3BE1389.jpeg
91F4D1D4-052E-4942-B307-F04221554A44.jpeg
6859F3F6-600C-4B38-A895-5123703C59F7.jpeg

FH, you sound like one of my friends. She lives for thunderstorms. Lightning doesn't frighten her and she always goes out under her patio cover with lighting striking close by. If it just rains, that is good but I can see the disappointment on her face. I told her my story of surviving lightning in the Hereford Valley (up the Burnt River from Webbie) one summer, but she was unimpressed.

On two different occasions, I have had rings of cows killed by lightning after they crowded up under a tree for shelter, around 12 head each time! I head for home when I hear thunder but my youngest son grabs his camera and climbs the highest hill to try to get pictures! We are running about 10 days behind on our season, but have gotten some beneficial rains. In spite of being technically in a drought, the pastures are doing well and the hay looks promising. If we can get a couple more weeks of growing season without it turning hot and windy, we might have a pretty fair year!

One of my old rodeo traveling partners lives in Ashland MT. Today he posted a couple pictures from his place. Two pictures taken from the same location. One from last year everything was brown. One from today the grass was taller and green.

Latest posts