• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

The Sun came up, the USA did not implode last night. Monsoonal moisture hit a Cold front coming out of the north last night, Anoud 7 rain made me park the tractor and baler, .47" fell during the night. So, some washed windrows and water to grow more hay and to get those warm weather grasses growing. Remember to get that Beef for your 4Th of July BBQ!

It was a touch under 80 at 5:30. I decided to haul some hay to the stack yard. Second load it was real black to the south. As I unloaded the last bale I got hit by a few rain drops. I didn't feel like a replay of last year when I like to drowned in a downpour while hauling hay. So I shut it down. We just ended up with a light rain. The main thunder storm went east of us. I saw several flashes of lightning by Little Lookout. I hope it rained good up there.

Earlier this week they had a fire started by Mill Creek. The wind blew pretty good that day. They got it stopped by the freeway in Moore's Hollow. Somewhere between 40,000 and 50,000 acre of grass and sagebrush burned in a single day. Wet spring made a lot of grass which is now a lot of fuel.

We had a couple gully washers over the fourth! One dropped over an inch in less than 20 minutes. It washed ruts in the gravel of our driveway and made a huge mess out of a 40 acre hillside of freshly seeded Falcata and Birdsfoot Trefoil. The seedlings had germinated and were a couple inches tall. Now most of them are in the coolies and wash outs below the field. On a positive note, it looks like we may get a hay crop this year and the pastures are looking great!

101 today. Stiff south wind. No rain in sight. Reservoir is empty. 1st crop (only crop) was about 2/3rds of a normal year. Last year was the worst I'd seen in 54 years. I think it's worse now. I'm an upbeat and positive person by nature. But it's grim for the hope of keeping my cows this winter. I'll keep fighting until I can't.

The computer says it is 101 degrees out. The thermometer on the deck says 104 but the sun is hitting it. I decide enough of this sitting in the house. I remembered that the quad needed gas this morning. So out I go. Gassed up the quad. Checked the water level in the irrigation ditch. That took about 10 minutes tops. Enough of this nonsense, it is too damn hot out there. Back into the house. Might have to crank up the AC.
I was told earlier today that we have 5,000 more acre feet of water in the reservoir than last year. And we made it through the entire year last year. So it should be a breeze making it through this summer.

🙋‍♀️ Hi everyone, When the cool left and the rains stopped in June, then the heat and wind came in. Extremes are the name of the game this year around here. Several days over 100 with nights cooling around 65. Sure nice to get the AC off and some fresh air inside. I don't even mind the early morning skunk. Only one snake on my rural walks and it was a rattler that a rancher shot. On my return I noticed a Latino worker picking it up and tossing it in his 4-wheeler basket. Not sure what he will use it for. I sure wasn't going to arm wrestle him for it. :ROFLMAO: It is about 96 today with a wind so not as bad as 108 and no wind, but nonetheless hotter than my ideal temperature. My plants are all watered and looking good so time for some coffee ice cream.

PS So far the local watermelon and the tomatoes I have eaten this summer, have been tasteless. A lot of salt helped, but I think the early cool and rain must have had an effect on them. Maybe my taste is failing due to age. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Took these from my yard a few minutes ago. It's been nice here. 81 right now. Hottest if seen so far was 87…. And we were about to die! Haha. We've been getting a little rain about every evening. Seen it at 42 a few nights ago. Felt real good with the windows open in the bedroom.
3F8AAB69-1324-4732-8784-7D84621C1C8C.jpeg
C8FE2F3B-17B2-461B-87CB-C9594B45AA58.jpeg

Took these from my yard a few minutes ago. It's been nice here. 81 right now. Hottest if seen so far was 87…. And we were about to die! Haha. We've been getting a little rain about every evening. Seen it at 42 a few nights ago. Felt real good with the windows open in the bedroom.
View attachment 2097View attachment 2098
You must be living right! Or the elk are what you get for the nice weather, lol

Latest posts