• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

49 and fairly windy. It rained pretty good last night. A lot of snow disappeared but the hard packed stuff in the driveway is slick ice. Supposed to stay above freezing tonight and top out at 39 tomorrow. With luck that will take care of the rest of the stuff in the driveway. Lots of standing water around. That elk this morning flopped around out in the alfalfa field and was a muddy mess. I am glad that Kenny was the one who skinned it.

Yes, very 'spring like'. Sure hope the ice and snow leaves before it freezes again. Don't like skating rinks on the ranch!

How was dinner, BMR? Did everyone make it?
We had Christmas supper last night as my family was all here then today my sister and he family made it for noon as they had to get on the road home.
I did a brisket and a moose tenderloin. no left overs. Mt nephew is an expert, sold Traegers all around the country and he gave me the thumbs up seal of approval.
I just used a Cabela's Brisket rub and smoked it from 6pm until almost noon the next day, Got it to 206 before it got pulled. The moose tenderloin was 147, maybe should have had a bit more but it was very good,
Of course Tammy had lots of salads, ect to compliment the meat.

We had Christmas supper last night as my family was all here then today my sister and he family made it for noon as they had to get on the road home.
I did a brisket and a moose tenderloin. no left overs. Mt nephew is an expert, sold Traegers all around the country and he gave me the thumbs up seal of approval.
I just used a Cabela's Brisket rub and smoked it from 6pm until almost noon the next day, Got it to 206 before it got pulled. The moose tenderloin was 147, maybe should have had a bit more but it was very good,
Of course Tammy had lots of salads, ect to compliment the meat.
Sounds like a great time!
Thanks for the details on smoking the brisket. I plan to have family here for New Years Day and I want to smoke a brisket. So thanks to you and Leanin' H, it should turn out super. Where is your smoker, BMR? Ours is outside on the deck and I don't have a thermal blanket for it. I think it will be a high of 30 degrees on Sunday, January 1, 2023. (A New Year soon!) Did you wrap the brisket at all?

Thanks and Happy New Year to you and to all members of ranchers.net!!!

I have a blanket for my smoker but a welding blanket works well to help keep temps up. You will probably be ok just use a few more pellets holding temp up.
I just used a Cabela's Brisket rub, smoked for about 3 hours then turn up a click to 180 for a bout 2-3 hours then wrapped in unwaxed Butcher paper and tied it with string before I went to bed until it was done. They say the paper doesn't make the meat sweat out the juices like foil does. I just do what my nephew tells me. The unwaxed paper is hard to find here bit I have a roll right from Traeger.. Maybe you don't need to wrap at all. maybe someone could chime in that doesn't wrap and let us know.
I sent you a picture on email

Wrap is optional to get through the stall when the meat seems to refuse to increase in heat. If you have lots of time, wrapping isn't necessary. If you're pinched for time, it's awesome. I've done them either way with success

I do wrap for sure when the brisket is done at 205F. Then wrap in towels and place in a cooler for 2 hours to rest. Then unwrap and smile. It's awesome meat
What does wrapping do for it? If I can't find unlined butcher paper, what should I use?
Sorry for all the questions, guys, but this old dog is trying to learn a new trick. 😉

Keeps the juices in and the towels clean. You can use foil for the resting wrap. But butcher paper is best for getting it through the stall. Look at videos on YouTube about "crutching" a brisket. It'll explain it easily

Three days with temperatures in the 40's. All the snow on the roads and driveway gone. Wake up this morning to 3 inches of sloppy wet snow. It is only about 31 degrees out. Looked up the highway report. Chains required over 10,000 or towing. The tow trucks are busy on I-84. Especially the other side of Huntington / Farewell Bend. I think I will just stay home.

New Year's Eve! December 31st. It's 44 degrees and raining to beat hell!!! What a strange piece of weather. Snow is gone at the house except where it was packed from driving. And that makes a fine ice rink.

Another inch of new snow over night. It is supposed to get to 39 today. New Years Eve so the Durkee fireworks are going off tonight. Doing it at 6:30 because nobody here is staying up until midnight.

Rain switched to snow at 1 pm. It's covered the ground now. Weather guessers claim 1-3 inches tonight and 5-8 tomorrow. Giddy up
CB08CEF5-DACD-4780-A1E7-E0DF8B312B5C.jpeg

Snowed all night. 8-10 inches on the ground. Folks I lease some ground from and my cows are at right now called at 6 and said I needed to come get my cattle. I was able to slow them down and make arrangements to move them tomorrow when this storm is past a little. Took some hay up and fed my cows. And now I'm stuck as heck. 🤬🤬🤬
New snow on top of ice makes for tough sledding. Waiting on a friend with a tractor to come pull me out.

Snowed all night. 8-10 inches on the ground. Folks I lease some ground from and my cows are at right now called at 6 and said I needed to come get my cattle. I was able to slow them down and make arrangements to move them tomorrow when this storm is past a little. Took some hay up and fed my cows. And now I'm stuck as heck. 🤬🤬🤬
New snow on top of ice makes for tough sledding. Waiting on a friend with a tractor to come pull me out.
When it snows like that there, do you get wind with it?
32 degrees here right now, supposed to get to 36 today. Going to be in the 30's all week. We can take that in January and not complain.

Good luck getting your cows home, 'H.

When it snows like that there, do you get wind with it?
32 degrees here right now, supposed to get to 36 today. Going to be in the 30's all week. We can take that in January and not complain.

Good luck getting your cows home, 'H.
If we get wind we will be digging out for a while for sure. Wind is a constant out here. But currently it's not too bad. We need this moisture but I feel for the wildlife.

Latest posts