• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's your favorite ranch "chore"?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Whitewing

Reaction score
NR's fencing perk thread got me to thinking about what work I enjoy the most about my place. And honestly, it's tough to decide.

I do enjoy time on my tractor, don't mind working with it from sunup to sunset, and there are lots of things to do in that regard. During the rainy season the place grows up rapidly with all sorts of unwanted vegetation and I like to try to keep the place neat and clean. There's something really satisfying about seeing a freshly bush-hogged hillside or the pasture edges neatly trimmed. And since we plant quite a bit of sorghum every year there's plowing and planting as well. Tractor-time gives me a somewhat different view of the place I guess and time to think.

Moving the cattle to/from the pastures on horseback is also another favorite pastime.......again, a different view of the lay of the land and time to really get a good look at the animals.

A quick sunset run checking out the place on my 4 X 4 bike is also a favorite, especially when there's a full moon on the rise. Yeah, that's not really working, but still ranks high on the to-do list. :D

How about you guys/gals?

Picking up coiws for A'I on horseback with my kids-spent alot of quality time watchiuing the sun come up over the years.in fact we still do ours the old fashioned way-best way to make colts into horses and kids into cowboys.

Absolutely ANYTHING done while a'horseback! A 16 hour day in August in the dust and heat or the same day in a blizzard while finding strays in November is still a joy to me. I love sitting in a saddle looking over my horses ears at whatever comes my way! I enjoy calving, forking hay to cows, roping, doctoring,preg. checking and AI. But I LOVE time spent forked over a horse!

Since I lost my horse, :( :( :( It would have to be riding out on the quad in the spring to check on calves in the pasture. Actually, anything to do with the calves is at the top of my list.

Shouldn't admit it here but I the business side, buying and selling, haggling with the feedlot or market or banker on interest etc. Closing land deals, dealing with oil and power companies. I don't mind the other stuff but most of it can be hired to folks that just love to do it.

per said:
Shouldn't admit it here but I the business side, buying and selling, haggling with the feedlot or market or banker on interest etc. Closing land deals, dealing with oil and power companies. I don't mind the other stuff but most of it can be hired to folks that just love to do it.

For $90,000 a year, a new truck every other year, 8 weeks vacation and found, I'm available to be one of your "hired folks"! :wink: That way you'd have more time to haggle and bank! :D Only thinkin' of you pal! :lol: :lol:

leanin' H said:
per said:

For $90,000 a year, a new truck every other year, 8 weeks vacation and found, I'm available to be one of your "hired folks"! :wink: That way you'd have more time to haggle and bank! :D Only thinkin' of you pal! :lol: :lol:
I can find willing takers for a little less but I am sure none would be funner to work with than you. :wink:

Favorite chore - taking the calf check to the bank. :p ..........After that, Cutting hay (when it cuts like it did this afternoon) or tilling the soil, planting, baling hay (when you aren't rushed by the weather) I guess pretty much like whitwing, I like the tractor work and watching things grow (not dry up and die from lack of rain), cab tractor of course. Really, depending on how you look at it, I like it all, even fixing the break downs, as aggravating as it can be. When you get it fixed an back up running it is another accomplishment.

I like to check the calves when I want to not when I have to. Mine come up to the pickup and lay around it they seem very conent. Gotta have something to enjoy in this busniess. I think they like the radio music.
When I go to town with lick marks on the pickup get some strange looks.

anything to do with the cows. but to be more specific, i would say calving season. checking, tagging, moving pairs. just a fun and exciting time of the year.

Working cattle by myself with my horse and dogs is my absolute favorite thing to do... just doesn't get any better than that :D .

Nothing better for me than having the time to walk the pastures to where the cows are and take some time to really look through them. Especially this time of year when the calves are starting to mature. Like Per I enjoy the business side of the game too - the planning, the management and the strategies.

Moving cows and calf pairs out to spring pasture, or maybe loading and unloading cattle coming back from summer range, or even riding on a J.D. 3010 rake tractor enjoying the scenery :!: :!: :D 8)

Feeding cows with a Team of Horses is my favorite Ranch chore. I also love it when I step in a nice fresh green cow pie :lol:

I really enjoy weighing the calves individually when we precondition
in the fall. Always interesting to see what each one weighs.
Had it been up to me, these cows would have been registered
so I could get all the data on them. :nod:
I guess I like working with numbers and with cattle. :shock:

Hat's off to all of you who do that year after year. :tiphat:

Oh, and cooking. I really enjoy cooking for folks
that have been outside working and come in hungry.

I love to roll hay.Trying to make the next roll look prettier than th last. and having my kids ride with me and wanting to see their interest in what is happening. Ear tagging a newborn calf is also fun.

Latest posts