• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wheatheart Post Drivers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ahhhh, you forget. We live in Montana. We're used to snow.

Which reminds me, Mr. FH and a good friend went to Assiniboia
about December of 2001. They got in the biggest snow storm.
The wind was so bad it even blew snow into the cab of the new
pickup. (They said it looked like a snow cone.) It was exciting
but they made it. Came back with 2 Morand chutes, maternity
pen and a bunch of really good railroad ties. The only mistake
they made was they didn't go back with a semi and get more of
those ties. :shock:

Charcoal briquets too! Hey while I'm diverting this thread again :oops: don't buy those briquets that are pressed from charcoal dust. Buy the lump charcoal. It's much better , stays lit and burns longer and I think hotter.

FH: The Wheatheart Heavy Hitter is an excellent choice; they are used by almost all the custom fencers up here and as others have pointed out are an extremely popular rental unit. The Honda powered hydraulic system is strong,(we've pulled posts as well as pounding) reliable and fast. There's quite a bit of adjustment capability that allows you to put the post in the proper place or to move slightly if you hit a large rock. You can push posts around with it too to straigten out leaning posts. The Honda allows you to use a truck instead of a tractor; faster moves and a lot easier for repair jobs; plus you can carry all your fencing tools and supplies right with you!
As for pounding in difficult conditions, they'll do it better than anything else. A lot of our pasture is rough hills, white clay, gravel and extremely rocky. We've pounded in dry, drought conditions (but prefer moist dirt if possible lol) and got along fairly well. We prefer stout 5 to 6 inch posts and get them in to the right depth as well as 8 foot brace posts. Wheatheart sells a water wand kit but you're probably better to rig one up yourself out of the truck. The High kit is designed for building game fence and corrals where taller posts are desired.
You could contact Wheatheart for a dealer list and I'm sure they have American distributors; but a trip north would be worth it!! If you can wait a while come up to Agribition and enjoy some Canadian hospitality and maybe even meet some of the "Northern " Ranchers.net crew!

Faster Horses I live in the booming metropolis of Meadow Lake-just head straigh north of Billings and drive ral fast for ohh 12 hours or so.

Ohh I think you can pound 10-12 foot posts with it-we are three hours north of Saskatoon. I've left here in the A'M and ben in Billings for supper many times.

I own a Wheatheart pounder and love it. I can't imagine a better, safer and easier to use post pounder.

They were designed to allow for pounding 10 or 12 fot posts for elk fence, but there's not much of that happening anymore.

You might try Flaman Sales at Southey, Sask, just north of Regina, that's where I got mine.

Well if you make a trip to Regina you'll know what the butt end of Saskatchewan looks like. The best part of it is the ring road that goes around it lol.

Take a look at this website. He's a dealer and may have some used pounders for sale. Located in Western North Dakota.

www.larsenranchsupply.com

I hope you get your trip to Canada, FH. Right up to Saskatoon! If you do, give me a shout, I'm only 15 minutes out of town.

BTW, we have a Wheatheart pounder, but the tractor powered kind. Bought it used years ago, pounded alot of posts with it, and it's still working good.

If the North Dakota guy doesn't work out, you can try Canada411.com. Type in Co-op, and it should bring up just about every single Co-op in Saskatchewan. I'm sure you'll find a good used driver at one of those places. You may luck out and find one of the tall units, as some areas did alot of elk fencing a few years back. Also, if PTO power is an option for you, the PTO units sell for a couple thousand less. I personally found the PTO drive units faster. Can't recall if the Honda powered units have the adjusting hitch or not, but that feature is golden.

I've used a Wheatheart, and the community pastures in this area won't buy anything but. The neighbor drove elk posts (10 feet out, 4 feet in) into hard clay land without problems.

Rod

I been watching this thread with interest as there is always fence to build around here,I still have my doubts that they would work here in the TX Hill country,altho there web site is impressivehttp://www.wheatheart.com/post_pounderpost_driver.htmlIm fixin to get a skid steer,I was thinking that skid steer model might work,anyone ever use one on a skid steer ?.............good luck

I'm guessing that rosemary4444's search engine doesn't differentiate between poking posts into the ground or swords into other people? Wow, back to 2006!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Took me by surprise! I thought kola was quitting again! And Rod, Shelly, seth . . . were back for a visit. :?

FH WHEATHEART POST POUNDERS WORK GREAT, WILL DRIVE RR TIES AND NOT EVEN POINT THE ENDS. THERE ARE DEALERS ALL OVER S.D. BUT THE ONE I DEAL IS MIDWEST AG SUPPLY IN PLATE S.D. NEW AND USED FOR SALE OR RENTN IF YOU NEED MORE INFO JUST LET ME KNOW. :)

Latest posts