• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wheeewwwwwww

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ohh I don't think any one breed has a monopoly on starchy cows so you Hereford breeders can quit being so self rightous lol. We calve lots of cows on the grass and they aren't near as protective as they are in a pen. I rope most of them off a horse than just tie them with a pigging string while I make the tag up. The worst cow I've ever owned was a Gelbvieh X with a Black Simmy being not far behind lol. We've even had the odd Hereford show some interest lol.

I usually know which cows will get in you're pocket, so I tag those waspy cow's calves on day 2 or 3 and they're mucho calmer. Also when ol Nelly is berrring up in your face I feel like if I resist the temptation to swat her away she usually won't come on and wool me. On plain old waspy cows, I drive my pickup up next to the target calf with my drivers door away from the pair. then slip under the pickup and drag new baby under there and do your business.

Oldtimer said:
denny- I went this year and bought one of those calf poles--look like an old sheep hook on an extendable pole... Before that I always just roped the ones that I couldn't catch by hand and always had calves bellering around and cows snorting and bellering while tagging--But the main reason I got the pole was to get those calves away from a cow on the fight- get them in the corral and just hook the little bugger and drag him over to or out under the corral....Used it the other day on a chilled calf that momma didn't want me to put in the hot barn....Worked great- and after he had a couple hours of heat I just slipped him thru the gate to his momma......

OT, with a little practice you can catch a pretty good sized and fast calf off a 4 wheeler using one of those poles if you need to catch one to treat it or something. Lock in the 4WD for stability while you're chasing 'em. I've been doing it for years.

We have had one those calf catch poles for several yrs.-have at least two around here.Great to get calves away from over protective cows and also since we cannot rope very good-works great to catch calves if need treated-works pretty good up to 200 lb calves. One severe cold night a mean cow calved and only way to get the calf from her was to back the pickup near her and hook calf and real it in like a fish. Is calving going pretty good for everyone? We are basically done and so far go good.

We have one of those sheepherder hooks for calves and use it all the time. We can catch the calf and pull it to the jd. gator. Seems like if your up off the ground the cow is not quite as threatened,IMOH. We bought some bred cows that had never had their calves tagged and I would pack the aluminum bat. One homerun swing off the bridge of their nose backed them off.I would say batter batter batter, so my husband would crouch down knowing I was going to swing. Except one. She came at me a second time. and I was caught off guard and popped her over the head. Dropped her plum down on to her side. I thought I had killed her..... That was a terrible feeling. Next year they were fine to tag no problems...

I agree that all breeds can have a snorty one. Some breeds are, however, more predispositioned to bad temperment. It is up to the purebred breeders to eliminate those bad genetics. Our straight angus commercial cows have awesome temperment and I have culled purebred gelbvieh cows for bad temperment. It is interesting to note that it has been the black purebred cows culled for bad temperment at a rate of 3:1.

Elwapo

Shelly
1. I'm a BIG girl 8)
2.I can not run after 10 yards there for I am fair game :???:
3. Fear and adrenilin is a nasty combination. :mad:
4. My age, I don't bounce back or up as well as I use too. :oops:
5. Always wanted to play major league baseball. :wink:

While feeding this morning something kept going through my head;a modern day C. Russell type picture.Would it be someone crawling under a pickup witha sheep crook to snare a calf while a snotty-nosed old black devil waited for a chance to stomp your a**or would it be someone impaled on the end of a like device that had stuck in the ground while while trying to catch a calf over the handlebars of a 4wheeler?Endless posibilities!
Thought also I would love to have Denny with me so he could enjoy a realy beautiful herd of gentle Herefords.It would be a wonderful experience for you Denny and could also help with you anger management.LOL

I have got to agree with you on that one, Juan. There is nothing prettier than a herd of Hereford cattle in a pastoral setting. The other breeds just don't compare in scenic beauty. Herefords will probably be the breed of choice in Heaven, because they are prettier, and the problems that go with the breed will not follow them up There. They will look mighty good in those surroundings, standing in stirrup tall grass, and drinking the cool blue water from the streams flowing down out of the mountains. :)

Cheeze Soapweed I can hardly wait to get there.Hope my old dogs and horses will be there also.

Soapweed said:
I have got to agree with you on that one, Juan. There is nothing prettier than a herd of Hereford cattle in a pastoral setting. The other breeds just don't compare in scenic beauty. Herefords will probably be the breed of choice in Heaven, because they are prettier, and the problems that go with the breed will not follow them up There. They will look mighty good in those surroundings, standing in stirrup tall grass, and drinking the cool blue water from the streams flowing down out of the mountains. :)

And I hope my 4 wheeler and little bo peep hook are there to run 'em down and catch 'em. :D

Perspectives, I guess. You suppose we would have ever had a Charlie Russel, if you had your way Cal? lol

It's one of those deals that if you have to explain it to someone they probably won't understand. :p :!: :wink:

You asked for it.

Jake, was he one of the early Hells Angels? lol

You getting close to calving yet? Our old girls are giving us one last Hurrah before they slow down in this wind and wet snow. First time we needed tire chains and 4WD on the pickups to get around in the last couple years. Not complaining, just enjoying!

Juan said:
While feeding this morning something kept going through my head;a modern day C. Russell type picture.Would it be someone crawling under a pickup witha sheep crook to snare a calf while a snotty-nosed old black devil waited for a chance to stomp your a**or would it be someone impaled on the end of a like device that had stuck in the ground while while trying to catch a calf over the handlebars of a 4wheeler?Endless posibilities!
Thought also I would love to have Denny with me so he could enjoy a realy beautiful herd of gentle Herefords.It would be a wonderful experience for you Denny and could also help with you anger management.LOL

Why would I need anger management I am oh so happy :D :D :D

I agree that they are good to look at but so was my ex-wife but she had red hair to...

As you said Denny,no thanks damn farmer cows.......

Is my life worth 10-20 cents a # no but I will have the money plus the extra #s and not the aggrivation that black baldy was probaly discusted with the hereford in her and took it out on me..
I am more then willing to keep those damn farmer cows,as you so put it,and not worry about getting hurt.You can keep your range cows,and have another incident like you had yesterday.I do agree with you that black calves do sell higher,but for you getting more pounds from your blacks,then i do from my hereford+simm cross cows.Those blacks of yours,must be pretty impressive cows!!Sold my calves in the middle of october,no creep feed,sold them right off the cows.Looked in my records,and the steers averaged 734 pounds,and the heifers averaged 698 pounds.I kept some of the bigger heifers for replacements,or the heifers would have averaged even higher.Herefords aren't the same breed,they were 20 years ago.They only got better!!So if my herefords are disqusted,that they have hereford in them.They are sure showing it poorly,by the calves they are weaning!!

3words said:
As you said Denny,no thanks damn farmer cows.......

Is my life worth 10-20 cents a # no but I will have the money plus the extra #s and not the aggrivation that black baldy was probaly discusted with the hereford in her and took it out on me..
I am more then willing to keep those damn farmer cows,as you so put it,and not worry about getting hurt.You can keep your range cows,and have another incident like you had yesterday.I do agree with you that black calves do sell higher,but for you getting more pounds from your blacks,then i do from my hereford+simm cross cows.Those blacks of yours,must be pretty impressive cows!!Sold my calves in the middle of october,no creep feed,sold them right off the cows.Looked in my records,and the steers averaged 734 pounds,and the heifers averaged 698 pounds.I kept some of the bigger heifers for replacements,or the heifers would have averaged even higher.Herefords aren't the same breed,they were 20 years ago.They only got better!!So if my herefords are disqusted,that they have hereford in them.They are sure showing it poorly,by the calves they are weaning!!

touchy its not how much you make its how much you have left when your bills are covered.

"There's 2 kinds of cattle in the world "Black Angus"and all the rest.........

Juan said:
Would it be someone crawling under a pickup witha sheep crook to snare a calf while a snotty-nosed old black devil waited for a chance to stomp your a**or would it be someone impaled on the end of a like device that had stuck in the ground while while trying to catch a calf over the handlebars of a 4wheeler?Endless posibilities!

Juan, now you're being cynical. You don't get impaled, it's more like high speed pole
vaulting. :D
The hooks I've got are all rounded on the end, bend if you would run one in the ground, and plastic coated.

Cal said:
Juan said:
Would it be someone crawling under a pickup witha sheep crook to snare a calf while a snotty-nosed old black devil waited for a chance to stomp your a**or would it be someone impaled on the end of a like device that had stuck in the ground while while trying to catch a calf over the handlebars of a 4wheeler?Endless posibilities!

Juan, now you're being cynical. You don't get impaled, it's more like high speed pole
vaulting. :D
The hooks I've got are all rounded on the end, bend if you would run one in the ground, and plastic coated.

Cal would that make you the HAPPY HOOKER? :cowboy: :wink:

Denny said:
Juan said:

Why would I need anger management I am oh so happy :D :D :D

I agree that they are good to look at but so was my ex-wife but she had red hair to...

I have many "red heads" in my family.They tend to be the easiest to get along with!
You didn't say if your ex was a "white face".

Latest posts