• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wheeewwwwwww

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Denny

Reaction score
Well just out of the showere I had a little !st calf heifer calve this morning so I went to tag it walked right up to here and grab it .Well it let out a bellar and that heifer came alive I got rolled thru the WATER AND MUD and other nice sh!& she rolled me about 3 times befor I escaped then I had to tag the calf this time I drug him under the fence.Who's been feeding her a winter ungrateful wench... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last time I got roll by a cow was a few years ago tiring to put her and a calf thru a gate. $#ity water puddle on top of the packed ice-snow. Was a long trip home on the sleigh then to the doctor. Took 2 nurses the doctor and the anesthesiologist (they knocked me out) to pull my shoulder back into place.

denny- I went this year and bought one of those calf poles--look like an old sheep hook on an extendable pole... Before that I always just roped the ones that I couldn't catch by hand and always had calves bellering around and cows snorting and bellering while tagging--But the main reason I got the pole was to get those calves away from a cow on the fight- get them in the corral and just hook the little bugger and drag him over to or out under the corral....Used it the other day on a chilled calf that momma didn't want me to put in the hot barn....Worked great- and after he had a couple hours of heat I just slipped him thru the gate to his momma......

Two weeks ago my wife asked to go along to tag calves so I handed her a sorting stick. The first cow gave off her Im here beller and the wife starts swinging.Hits me across the head.I politly :roll: told her I would rather take my chances with the cow.

I should have read these before I posted on the "calving problems"thread.

Ohhhhhhh, baling wire. That was soooooo funny!! Sorry about your head, but still funny!!!!

I had a young man that started running cattle maybe five years ago tell me about using a hot shot on cows that got on the fight while he was tagging calves. I was intrigued, because A.) looks like that would make the cows WORSE and B.) wouldn't he have to be awfully close to them to use a hot-shot? Gosh, he must be really athletic~ABLE TO RUN FAST AND JUMP HIGH!! LOL!!!

No thanks. The calves off those cows don't need tagged that bad.

My husband very seldom has problems tagging but he did quit banding the calves. He says it takes him too long and the cows DO get upset. So we knife cut them at branding.

I remember several years ago when a cow hit him while tagging. I was watching from the Scout. She sent him prone, full-length in the air and he landed hitting the side of his face on a tree. You know how facial cuts bleed so bad, he looked terrible. It looked worse than it was, but he came undone. Boy, was he mad at that cow!!!!!

OT,
we started using a calf hook too. It just ain't the cowboy way but for some reason when you hook a calf, they don't seem nearly as upset as roping them and it seems like the cows not get quite so mad either. Plus I'm ten feet away from the cow, if they can come up a smell the calf and a human is not holding their baby they calm down and back off. The only problem with that hook is the operator, I have had that hook across my face before, kinda like baling wire!!!!

Baling wire, what a story! Made me laugh but good! Now for all you black cattle folk, why do you people put yourselves through all those fun and games?!? Gotta love herefords, the worst ours'll do is maybe lick you. The ones that are part simmental, well they generally behave themselves too. The worst ones you just have to show them the "stick" and they get the message that they'd better behave themselves.

sw said:
OT,
we started using a calf hook too. It just ain't the cowboy way but for some reason when you hook a calf, they don't seem nearly as upset as roping them and it seems like the cows not get quite so mad either. Plus I'm ten feet away from the cow, if they can come up a smell the calf and a human is not holding their baby they calm down and back off. The only problem with that hook is the operator, I have had that hook across my face before, kinda like baling wire!!!!

Lot of "cowboy way" things are being replaced as I get older-- spent too long playing cowboy when I was young and now I'm paying for it.......

I carry an aluminum baseball bat with me when I'm tagging calves. Most of my cows are very quiet but I don't completely trust any of them when they have that post-calving hormone rush going!!!! Their instinct is to protect that baby,period.
A "tap" on the nose with that bat will usually change their mind about trying to roll me. :wink:

I have to agree with you Shelly,i did the black angus thing when i was young,and wasn't scared of no cow,and it was more luck then brains.That i never did get hurt.Now that i'm older,and hopefully a little wiser.I prefer the hereford+simmental cross cow now,don't have to worry about them,when they calve.If one of them even looks at me funny after they calve,they grow wheels come fall!! Life's to short,to deal with a crazy cow.I don't care how big her calf is,in the fall.I still like the looks of a black cow,but there a young mans game.

Shelly said:
Baling wire, what a story! Made me laugh but good! Now for all you black cattle folk, why do you people put yourselves through all those fun and games?!? Gotta love herefords, the worst ours'll do is maybe lick you. The ones that are part simmental, well they generally behave themselves too. The worst ones you just have to show them the "stick" and they get the message that they'd better behave themselves.

Iwent to the salebarn today and the black calves were bringing 10 to 20 cents a lb. more than the herfords reason enough and the heifer was a black baldy.

Heck, we have had Hereford cows take us. Not all Herefords are gentle. Most, but not all. In fact, we got into some Hereford bulls that would take a horse! The heifers out of those bulls were not gentle either. And it was not the way they were handled, it was the way they WERE!! I remember the guys having to head and heel a bull that kept taking them. They were just driving the bulls to a different pasture and a couple of them really got on the fight.

Our black cows don't give us any problem. We weed 'em out early and have had no problems for quite a few years. We buy gentle bulls for the most part. If they wind up not being gentle, they are GONE!!

When selecting replacement heifers, we put them in the alleyway by themselves and observe how they act. The ones that get excited, run with their nose on the fence or try to go under a gate get put in the sale pen. Luckily we don't have many of them. The last ones were out of sons of EXT. The bulls themselves were gentle, but the bad dispositions sure showed up in those heifers. That is the closest we ever got to using EXT bloodlines and we got rid of them fast.

Shelly said:
Is your life worth 10-20 cents a pound?

Heck it was'nt a color deal any breed can do that.You could'nt sell me a hereford for love or money been around those dumb SOBs.We helped my neighbor work his last spring had to get behind each one and push to get them up the alley.Well I helped him bangs vaccinate this winter and those heifers were as dumb as the cows no thanks damn farmer cows.......

Is my life worth 10-20 cents a # no but I will have the money plus the extra #s and not the aggrivation that black baldy was probaly discusted with the hereford in her and took it out on me..

Not if one takes you out....permanently. There's a place for cows like that. It's called a slaughter plant.

Shelly said:
Not if one takes you out....permanently. There's a place for cows like that. It's called a slaughter plant.

Wish that heifer was on pasture 3 years ago when the timber wolves came calling.......

Last fall when we sold calves....for some reason I ended up with the hotshot instead of a sortin stick...I was usin it like a sortin stick...one black calf refused to go in the chute..ran him around the corral 40 dozen times...that last loop he made tho..he decided I needed up close n personal with the sucker rod corral fence...along with stealin my hotshot...it got crossed up tween his legs n ended up smackin my son up side the head with the battery pack end of it...first time I ever heard him swear...hahahaha

Latest posts