• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

When does More- become less

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses said:
Mike said:
Faster horses said:
I will add that Charolais and Simmental cattle have higher mineral requirements due to their slower metabolism. FWIW

Could you cite that research?

It's been known for quite some time, Mike. I've read it in several articles on mineral supplementation. Here is one source, but there are many others. I will try and find more as I have time:

Breed can also affect the mineral requirements of the cow herd. Simmental and Charolais cattle require more copper than Angus cattle. Levels may need to be increased 25 to 50 percent for these breeds.

http://www.caes.uga.edu/Publications/pubDetail.cfm?pk_ID=7650
---------------------------------------------------------------------

edited to add this source:

http://www.journalofanimalscience.org/content/73/2/571.full.pdf
---------------------------------------------------------

Copper requirements may be affected by breed. Simmental cattle excrete more copper in their bile than Angus (Gooneratne et al., 1994). Ward et al. (1995) reported that Simmental and Charolais cows and their calves were more susceptible to copper deficiency than Angus when fed the same diet.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=9791&page=62
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you understand that I wasn't picking on Charolais or Simmental when
I first stated their mineral requirements were higher. I just thought I would
add it to the thread, as it is not commonly understood, or even realized.

No problem. But I think it would be appropriate to say that only some of the "MICRO" minerals (mostly metals) are absorbed at different liver metabolizing rates by different breeds and that many cattlemen do not feed "MICRO's" because those can be consumed by & through grazing, if adequate in the soil.

I haven't seen any research to show that any cattle breeds are slower to metabolize the basic "MACRO" minerals through the liver, i.e. Sodium & Di-calcium Phosphate the most abundantly used.

Oldtimer said:
What I thought was most interesting was that this southern (Oklahoma) University study was saying essentially what the northern studies have been saying about maintaining moderation in maternal cattle for efficiency...
North Dakota state University's studies for the past 10 years back this info about word for word- and prior to that it was Montana State University's-- which also spoke of the dangers of losing too much body fat on your maternal cattle... They picked the British breeds as the most efficient for wintering in the north- with Galloway being their number 1 most efficient- followed by Angus and Hereford ...

:clap:

We have seen and increase in interest in Galloways, due to the very thing you are stating. An efficient maternal cowherd bred to high growth bulls of a different breed make producers money. Many of the Angus influenced herds are using Galloways to downsize and make their cowherd hardier and more efficient, while maintaining, if not increasing the carcassing ability and YG.

Galloway2 said:
Oldtimer said:
What I thought was most interesting was that this southern (Oklahoma) University study was saying essentially what the northern studies have been saying about maintaining moderation in maternal cattle for efficiency...
North Dakota state University's studies for the past 10 years back this info about word for word- and prior to that it was Montana State University's-- which also spoke of the dangers of losing too much body fat on your maternal cattle... They picked the British breeds as the most efficient for wintering in the north- with Galloway being their number 1 most efficient- followed by Angus and Hereford ...

We have seen and increase in interest in Galloways, due to the very thing you are stating. An efficient maternal cowherd bred to high growth bulls of a different breed make producers money. Many of the Angus influenced herds are using Galloways to downsize and make their cowherd hardier and more efficient, while maintaining, if not increasing the carcassing ability and YG.

Hmmm...... I'm about 1000 miles north of you folks, I wonder how we make it without British cows? :wink:

Silver said:
Galloway2 said:
Oldtimer said:

Hmmm...... I'm about 1000 miles north of you folks, I wonder how we make it without British cows? :wink:

Many of my Canadian cattle producing friends tell me they have milder winters than we do. Not sure about BC, but northern Alberta, parts of Sask. In some cases it depends on how much snow cover one has, and how much feed one is willing to haul.

Latest posts