• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

When should "OTM"cattle start crossing the border

Help Support Ranchers.net:

When should "OTM"cattle start crossing the border ?

• Immediately

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
when should "OTM" cattle start crossing the Canadian border into the United States?

HAY MAKER said:
when should "OTM" cattle start crossing the Canadian border into the United States?

Hayman, your poll does not give enough options. Why don't you add one that says, "When our exports are secured", like the NCBA initially did. But backtracked.

Why even ask such a stupid question? You know the response you're going to get from US cattlemen, so all you're doing is trying to stir the pot. You aren't interested in any real debate. What an absolute asshole.

I believe "OTM" cattle need to be kept out of the "USA"until we are assured that there are no cattle alive that were born prior to the "feed ban."And with the many documented cases of "feed ban" violations you could make a case for starting that process this year after Canada assures us they have a regulatory agency in place, that will assure the "USA" that the feed ban is being complied with.I hate to see the canadian rancher go through this but as long as they keep violating the feed ban,they will keep paying the price.................good luck

I think it should open immediately! Our beef and cattle are just as safe if not safer than American beef and cattle :wink:

I think it should open up to "OTM" cattle, too. The states has old cows, we have old cows. We've had cows found with BSE, the states have cows found with BSE. Same situation both sides of the border.

We shouldn't even think of opening it to OTM's or breeding stock until we get our BSE firewall gaps closed: ban the feeding of chicken litter- ban the feeding of table scraps to ruminants- ban the use of blood in milk replacer and other products which may be consumed by ruminants- and proof that these bans are being complied with...

Also we need to have the mandatory ID plan up and running with forced compliance- so that we know where these cows are and where they go....

Shelly said:
I think it should open up to "OTM" cattle, too. The states has old cows, we have old cows. We've had cows found with BSE, the states have cows found with BSE. Same situation both sides of the border.

You make a good point Shelly,if the Canadian government really wanted to help the rancher,they would start a program to remove any and all cattle born before the feed ban.That would be a subsidy that every one would support :wink: ....................good luck

HAY MAKER said:
I believe "OTM" cattle need to be kept out of the "USA"until we are assured that there are no cattle alive that were born prior to the "feed ban."And with the many documented cases of "feed ban" violations you could make a case for starting that process this year after Canada assures us they have a regulatory agency in place, that will assure the "USA" that the feed ban is being complied with.I hate to see the canadian rancher go through this but as long as they keep violating the feed ban,they will keep paying the price.................good luck
:lol: :lol: :lol: A few bird fragments found in a load of canola meal :lol: big infraction :lol: while you keep feeding chicken crap to cattle.

Hay Maker, there is a story going around that R-Crapers are going to demand that the Border to Texas be closed. I quess that is the way you guys think...Right : :D

HAY MAKER said:

The pot calls the kettle black.
________
BMW Concept X1

Well Well Well Look here two R-CALFers and they disagree to why the border should be kept closed. :shock: Haymaker thinks it should stay closed because of our non-exsistant feed ban violations R-CALF dreamed up because of bird feathers. :? While, Oldtimer thinks it should be kept closed because of the US loopholes and lack of M"ID" to track where their cattle come from, which R-CALF didn't want to be burdened with. :clap: One is lieing about Canada and the other is willing to punish us for their inability to keep up with the times. :roll:
Doesn't look like R-CALF was successful in convincing Mike about the food safety thing as he thinks it should open as soon as the US exports open, looks like all money and no food safety in that reason.

You make a good point Shelly,if the Canadian government really wanted to help the rancher,they would start a program to remove any and all cattle born before the feed ban.That would be a subsidy that every one would support
Why hasn't the US closed the Texas border and the rest of the US producers demand that all older cattle coming from Texas be destroyed, Haymaker? :???: You seem to come up will all kinds of things Canada should do but you forget you have BSE in the Texas native herd. :shock:
You also have a government investigation proving feed ban violations and how many of them are as simple as bird feathers in Canola? :|
Add to that the fact you still haven't ban feeding you know what to your cattle. :eek:
We all have seen how well the enhanced testing is going in the US. :nod:
R-CALF got M"ID" taken out of the otherwised flawed M"COOL" law because they thought labeling the imports was all that was needed. :roll: Great foresight there, look what happen when a reportable disease like BSE was found in the US. Months of wasted searching only to be told by the OIE to forget looking and concentrate on cleaning up the whole system.
So I have to agree with Oldtimer on this one, the US has far more problems to sort out than our bird feather problem. But that still doesn't explain why Canada should be held hostage because of the shortcoming of the US system thank to a few that refuse to look at the future and only concentrate on the calf check they recieved yesterday.

Tam, The COOL BILL excludes the "Mandate" of any one particular ID system/data gathering or info recording by the USDA. Not ID itself. That would have left it open to the states to appoint a system that would suffice for an "AUDIT TRAIL" as required for COOL.
Everyone knows that ID is necessary for tracking. It's just that everyone does not agree on the method or system.

Oldtimer said:
We shouldn't even think of opening it to OTM's or breeding stock until we get our BSE firewall gaps closed: ban the feeding of chicken litter- ban the feeding of table scraps to ruminants- ban the use of blood in milk replacer and other products which may be consumed by ruminants- and proof that these bans are being complied with...

Also we need to have the mandatory ID plan up and running with forced compliance- so that we know where these cows are and where they go....
Ban cattle from another country because the US has lower standards?

Why would that only make sense to an R-Calfer?

Mike said:
Tam, The COOL BILL excludes the "Mandate" of any one particular ID system/data gathering or info recording by the USDA. Not ID itself. That would have left it open to the states to appoint a system that would suffice for an "AUDIT TRAIL" as required for COOL.
Everyone knows that ID is necessary for tracking. It's just that everyone does not agree on the method or system.

So what you are saying is it excluded a NATIONAL SYSTEM covering all U.S. cattle. Leaving it up to the fifty states and god only know how many private companies to weed through to find where an animal could have come from. That really sounds like a well thought out plan. Leo sat on TV and claimed all we have to do is label the imports and the rest will be US beef by default. No need to tag animals in the US as our beef is the safest in the world. The beef to be feared is imported beef. Wow to bad he couldn't see the native case coming before he made a claim like that. Could have saved the US government a few tax dollars in searching if they would have had a National system like Canada has.
Everyone knows that ID is necessary for tracking. It's just that everyone does not agree on the method or system
This is true but if you wait until everyone agrees you will NEVER have a system that will find reportable disease sourses in a reasonable amount of time. :roll:

Bill said:
Oldtimer said:

Ban cattle from another country because the US has lower standards?

Why would that only make sense to an R-Calfer?
Don't you just love it. :wink: They are willing to destroy those that have proven to be better at keeping up with the times while they play catchup. :roll:

HAY MAKER said:
Shelly said:

You make a good point Shelly,if the Canadian government really wanted to help the rancher,they would start a program to remove any and all cattle born before the feed ban.That would be a subsidy that every one would support :wink: ....................good luck

My husband has maintained from day one of our BSE problem, that every cow born before our feed ban was put in place should have been taken out of the whole Canadian herd. No ifs, ands, or buts. And I'm inclined to agree with him for two reasons. 1) There'd be no dispute about an old crock being fed something before the ban was in place, and 2) we wouldn't have this overload of cows to deal with when it comes to finding a market for them.

Shelly said:
HAY MAKER said:
Shelly said:

My husband has maintained from day one of our BSE problem, that every cow born before our feed ban was put in place should have been taken out of the whole Canadian herd. No ifs, ands, or buts. And I'm inclined to agree with him for two reasons. 1) There'd be no dispute about an old crock being fed something before the ban was in place, and 2) we wouldn't have this overload of cows to deal with when it comes to finding a market for them.

Shelly, Someone else suggested that from down here the other day. Would go a long way to ease a lot of fears and make good press. Don't wait for the USDA to make a recommendation that is as sensible though.

Mike said:
Shelly said:
HAY MAKER said:

Shelly, Someone else suggested that from down here the other day. Would go a long way to ease a lot of fears and make good press. Don't wait for the USDA to make a recommendation that is as sensible though.
Millions of cows being chased into a pit to be shot makes good press???

Millions of cows being chased into a pit to be shot makes good press???

No one said shoot them. Run them through the slaughter system over a period of a year or two and test them all. Get this BSE crap hopefully behind us.

Latest posts