• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Where I come from!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WVGenetics

Reaction score
Had some beautiful fall weather this past weekend...headed back towards home on Saturday and pregged a few cows for a neighbor then spent the afternoon back at my folks place. We've had better than our fair share of moisture this summer and fall and the grass has been really good. Cattle are in great shape and its been a fairly good year all together so far. Its been a while since I just had time to look around and enjoy the scenery so I took a few photos to share. Hopefully I can turn a couple of them in to Christmas presents for dad. Even got a homemade dinner from mom for stopping by...couldn't beat that!

199.jpg

Above the house looking to the northeast.

200.jpg

Now to the east

201.jpg

and the southeast

191.jpg

Neighbors to the north on the next ridge over

202.jpg

Looking northwest...the buildings are on the second ridge over...about a mile

204.jpg

and now westward...you can't faintly see the cell tower in town about 10 miles away.

203.jpg

Recently added windmills to the south.

215.jpg

My vantage point for all the previous photos...a whopping 2,000 ft above sea level.

245.jpg

the original homestead...purchased by my family over 120 years ago...3 of my aunts and uncles were born in this house

233.jpg

fall colors

242.jpg

the proprietor of said estate followed by a couple cattle pics

252.jpg

recent purchases...bred heifers and young cows

231.jpg

nice 10 yr old cow

219.jpg

one of my cows...coming 6 yr old

221.jpg

14 yr old cow that has never missed...had her first heifer calf ever this past spring.

195.jpg

196.jpg

a few heifer calves...most will be replacements.

I apologize for the length of this post...I had a good Saturday!

Big Swede said:
You live in some beautiful country WV. Are all the fields cleared of trees? Do you get much snow?

Thanks...the hay fields are all pretty well clear...most pasture ground will have some trees...hard to remove them all. Some of the ground is too rough and steep to even worry with so the trees stay.

We can get a good bit of snow. Last winter was rough and we got well over 100 inches...weatherman is calling for 4 or 5 feet this winter. As long as it gets cold enough to freeze, we don't have to deal with mud, but it gets pretty muddy most winters.

Great pics !! Very pretty country you are from .

Felt like I was touring around with you, thanks for posting .

Thanks...I appreciate it. I feel the same way about your part of the country.

Nice Pics, Is that some of the country the Civil War was fought?

Thanks...definite Civil War activity around here but nothing too major... a couple small battles in the county. Our county seat, Philippi, is home of the first land battle of the Civil War. Mostly guerilla/raider type activity around home (Confederate sympathizers) but a good bit of protecting railroads in the river valleys within 35-50 miles.

Now that's my kind of country. Thanks for sharing.
BTW, what are land prices like down there?

You make me jealous WV-- we got about 4 inches of snow over the weekend- and with the 30+ mph winds in some areas there are 2-3 foot drifts....

This morning the temp was 4 Above.... I want fall back!!!

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL AREA!! ABSOLUTELY AMAZING FALL COLORS!! UNFORTUNATELY, OUR "FALL" HERE IS SOOOOO SHORT THAT WE ARE NOT ABLE TO ENJOY THE COLORS THE WAY MOST FOLK CAN!! THANKS FOR SHARING!!! :D

Now that's my kind of country. Thanks for sharing.
BTW, what are land prices like down there?

Thanks Silver...land prices for good grass land with decent water and fence are around $2500-3000/acre...only stripped coal ground is cheaper but it takes a lot of years to get it to produce. Can't buy any mineral rights though with the big natural gas boom going on.

Justin and Gcreek, I imagine it is a bit different but its home.

Thanks for the pics. Nice country to call home. Must not be in coal country.

Enough snow to keep the mud at bay is nice.
We are definitely in coal country...mostly strip mines in our county but a few deep diggers. This whole country if full of mine shafts.

Really enjoyed looking at your pictures. Beautiful country!!!

I sent a bull to a man in Terra Alta West Virginia a couple years ago. Is that anywhere close to you?

Katrina...thanks! I really like that cow too but to be honest I don't have a clue what she is. Bought her as a bred a few years back and I really don't care as long as she works...she only gets to meet red and white bulls anyway.

Ned Jr. ...Terra Alta is pretty close...about 40 miles. If he's still up there he got to see about 200 inches of snow last winter![/quote]

Latest posts