• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Who is becoming your top Republican Presidential Candidate?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sweetbasil

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,
Having a television during this political season could be fun but I am grateful to have access to YouTube and the internet to keep up with the news. I have been reading the USA Today since it being made available to us every morning, and for some reason I am finding myself diving into politics (something I used to really enjoy keeping up with).

I finally watched the 2016 First Republican Presidential Debate. I have heard the candidates speak for about 1 hour and I think I have my top candidates. In my humbled opinion, if we want a Republican President in office for the next term, the following candidates have the best chance of getting into office if we give them our support:
1. Jeb Bush
2. John Kasich
3. Mike Huckabee

I can see strong leadership traits based on their intellectual capacity, experience, and common sense, and based on their agendas which are a work-in-progress, but I feel that any one of these candidates can move our country forward in a new and united way. I look forward to seeing the grow of these candidates and hope that the America people will see them in the right light and give themselves the opportunity to carefully listen to them.

May you'll have a wonderful night!
Sweetbasil

Hey SweetieB!,

Was wondering when you were going to join us down here for some knock-down drag out fights and other such fun events.

Jeb Bush is not my pick. To me, he is about as intellectual as Vlasic pickle.

I'd kinda like to see Cliven Bundy in the mix of candidates. :wink:

But then, I was a George Wallace supporter.

Keep watchin' & listening like the rest of us. All the candidates will make you sick before the election and you won't care either.

Toodles,
The Gang At Political Bull

Mike said:
Jeb Bush is not my pick. To me, he is about as intellectual as Vlasic pickle.

I'd kinda like to see Cliven Bundy in the mix of candidates. :wink:

Mike,
Jeb has a chance and could split the Democratic votes among Latinos; I heard him speak Spanish and I was impressed with his language skills and it sounded like people are agreeing with him. It would be a hard package to sell because it will be associated as "having another Bush in the office." I personally like Mike as I did in the last election and I feel he could really unite the Party. I would have to read more about Cliven Bundy. I know Trump has the momentum, and if he gets elected to represent the Party in the final debates, I don't see him winning. I believe Trump is a very brilliant business man but I don't see him as our next President.
T
hanks for sharing your thoughts!
Sweetbasil

Our congressmen and Senator supported Jeb Bush in the e-mail to everyone, I replied that they lost my support. I have never voted for a democrat, And at this point never will but the republican establishment has lost my vote as well. At this point we need to throw away politics as usual.. Carly Fiorina, Donald Trump and Ben Carson. First and foremost our border needs to be secure, Second we cannot afford another politician that is more concerned about the WTO than American people. At this point America needs to pull there heads out of the sand, and listen to new ideas, from new people rather than the same old cronies that got us into this mess we are in today, there is enough blame to go around for all politicians and both parties. So at this point I am all ears and hope all Americans are.

SweetieB,

Respectfully, I don't believe you could be more wrong about Trump. People are tired of politicians screwing up the country and want to rid ourselves of the status quo. Carly Fiorina, Ben Carson, or Trump would suit me fine.

I couldn't see Buckwheat as our next President before the 2008 election.

Something must be done with the influx of illegal immigrants. The first generation that comes here sometimes work hard to get ahead. It's the generation after that that figures out the system and bellies up to the government trough.

Bottom line is we're flat busted broke and can't pay our debts. No way in hell can we pay off $20 TRILLION. It cannot happen. You dig?

loomixguy said:
IMHO, those three are unelectable, for various reasons. Especially Jeb.

Hello "Loomixguy",
That could definitely be the case... I am looking forward to see how these candidates will progress and where the Republican campaign will lead to.

Thanks for sharing your opinion!
Sweetbasil

W.T said:
Our congressmen and Senator supported Jeb Bush in the e-mail to everyone, I replied that they lost my support. I have never voted for a democrat, And at this point never will but the republican establishment has lost my vote as well. At this point we need to throw away politics as usual.. Carly Fiorina, Donald Trump and Ben Carson. First and foremost our border needs to be secure, Second we cannot afford another politician that is more concerned about the WTO than American people. At this point America needs to pull there heads out of the sand, and listen to new ideas, from new people rather than the same old cronies that got us into this mess we are in today, there is enough blame to go around for all politicians and both parties. So at this point I am all ears and hope all Americans are.

Hello "W.T",
I was observing Ben Carson during the debate and I don't know if he can be strong enough to get out of the "shadows" and make his ideas known well enough to get some momentum going. I don't need to worry about the WTO, but what worries me is keeping our economic strong and doing something to keep the Middle Class (the backbone of our country) thriving. From my experience in the Mid West, I have seen a lot of small towns, yet, these Americans keep our food basket full and without these communities we probably be importing our own food. I want younger generations to have the opportunity to afford to own land if they want to be in agriculture. At the rate we are going, it seems to me that this won't be an option for future farmers and ranchers. Yes, I agree with you about the border, having lived in Southern California, I can only imagine the issues that border communities are experiencing. My other concern is, how are we going to create jobs if we are not willing to explore new ideas in order encourage corporations to bring back some of the industry sectors that have been outsourced? Politicians are just passing blame around which results in an obstacle course and critical issues are just on standby mode while countries like China, Brazil, are becoming more competitive each day. I personally would limit the term and salary for each Politician, so that they can start making progress. In my humbled opinion, "serving" the country shouldn't be more a 4 year career much less a 10.

Thank for sharing!
Sweebasil

Mike said:
SweetieB,

Respectfully, I don't believe you could be more wrong about Trump. People are tired of politicians screwing up the country and want to rid ourselves of the status quo. Carly Fiorina, Ben Carson, or Trump would suit me fine.

I couldn't see Buckwheat as our next President before the 2008 election.

Something must be done with the influx of illegal immigrants. The first generation that comes here sometimes work hard to get ahead. It's the generation after that that figures out the system and bellies up to the government trough.

Bottom line is we're flat busted broke and can't pay our debts. No way in hell can we pay off $20 TRILLION. It cannot happen. You dig?

Hi Mike,
I agree with you, I could be totally wrong with my picks for candidates, and that's Ok. We definitely need to fix the broken immigration system we have in placed, but with all respect, we do need immigrants to keep us functioning. For example, I don't see my child working as a maid cleaning hotels or being a picker. These are jobs not many people want to do because they are labor intensive. There was a big deal about people wanting to get pay way more than the minimum wage for flipping burgers. Honestly, the next thing I don't want is having the Golden Arch importing my "Happy Meals" from China because it is cheaper to produce them there! I personally don't believe every immigrant that is currently living in the United States wants a path to Citizenship. They want to have the right to work, drive, and live without fear of deportation. There are plenty of immigrants that haven't become citizens that benefited from the Reagan's Amnesty. Why? It was too easy of a gift to them. I believe the best and most worthy immigrants are those who have worked hard to be good citizens, assimilate to our culture, and contribute. The "Anchor Baby" is an issue with illegal and legal immigration. I personally lived in a community that was predominantly Asian and while living there, the local authorities discovered a big business of bringing pregnant Chinese women to the country with the sole purpose of giving birth in America and taking their children back. In my humbled opinion, that is not right.

I have often wonder why are the candidates not providing us with a solid plan on key issues that they want to fix once they are in office? They have plenty of time and resources to put a solid plan to share with the American public instead of just providing us with ideas. We certainly can' t over pay the debt right away, but we sure can put a stop from continuing to grow. I bet if Congress really wanted to cut down the debt, they would get a list of all programs where our money is going and evaluate each of them, and I can be certain that they will find those programs that are non-value added. If Politicians could start implementing business ideas and executing them as it is done in the private sector, most likely each American will be receiving a check with "dividends."

Only time will reveal which of these candidates will have the opportunity to become the next President.

Thanks for sharing!
Sweetbasil

Sweetbasil, welcome, and you're making some really good arguments for Trump here. :D I like Cruz quite a lot as well, but he's young and will be a more viable candidate later on. I'd like to see Carson or Fiorina as VP or important cabinet positions. As you work in the energy industry you'll probably be able to come on here more and tell us how harmful the Obama regime has been for the country. Looking forward to it.

I am always leery of politicians who promise too much that they cannot fulfill. The House and Senate can defeat much that the president wants to change. We need a leader and not a dictator, someone who is aware of the issues and can lead the congress to the right paths.

There are plenty of immigrants that haven't become citizens that benefited from the Reagan's Amnesty. Why? It was too easy of a gift to them.

There was no blanket Reagan "Amnesty" program, as the word is used most ambiguously. Each immigrant still had to go through a long tedious pathway towards citizenship. No one was just forgiven automatically to become a citizen.

The Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), Pub.L. 99–603, 100 Stat. 3445, enacted November 6, 1986, also known as the Simpson-Mazzoli Act, signed into law by Ronald Reagan on November 6, 1986, is an Act of Congress which reformed United States immigration law.

The Act:
1-required employers to attest to their employees' immigration status;
2-made it illegal to hire or recruit undocumented immigrants knowingly;
3-legalized certain seasonal agricultural undocumented immigrants, and;
4-legalized undocumented immigrants who entered the United States before January 1, 1982 and had resided there continuously with the penalty of a fine, back taxes due, and admission of guilt; candidates were required to prove that they were not guilty of crimes, that they were in the country before January 1, 1982, and that they possessed minimal knowledge about U.S. history, government, and the English language.

At the time, the Immigration and Naturalization Service estimated that about four million undocumented immigrants would apply for legal status through the act and that roughly half of them would be eligible.

To say that this was "Reagan's" plan is quite a stretch. It was a bi-partisan Congressional effort to regain control of the border. That control would never happen because no one had the balls to deport children. i.e. Too many votes at risk. :roll:

Traveler said:
Sweetbasil, welcome, and you're making some really good arguments for Trump here. :D I like Cruz quite a lot as well, but he's young and will be a more viable candidate later on. I'd like to see Carson or Fiorina as VP or important cabinet positions. As you work in the energy industry you'll probably be able to come on here more and tell us how harmful the Obama regime has been for the country. Looking forward to it.

Thanks "Traveler!" I agree, Cruz will definitely have a chances in the future. Oh boy, I am learning about how the energy industry is being regulated (yikes!). I am looking forward to building some solid background and see how my professional perspective is going to change with this job.

Have a great week!
Sweetbasil

Mike said:
There are plenty of immigrants that haven't become citizens that benefited from the Reagan's Amnesty. Why? It was too easy of a gift to them.

There was no blanket Reagan "Amnesty" program, as the word is used most ambiguously. Each immigrant still had to go through a long tedious pathway towards citizenship. No one was just forgiven automatically to become a citizen.

The Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), Pub.L. 99–603, 100 Stat. 3445, enacted November 6, 1986, also known as the Simpson-Mazzoli Act, signed into law by Ronald Reagan on November 6, 1986, is an Act of Congress which reformed United States immigration law.

The Act:
1-required employers to attest to their employees' immigration status;
2-made it illegal to hire or recruit undocumented immigrants knowingly;
3-legalized certain seasonal agricultural undocumented immigrants, and;
4-legalized undocumented immigrants who entered the United States before January 1, 1982 and had resided there continuously with the penalty of a fine, back taxes due, and admission of guilt; candidates were required to prove that they were not guilty of crimes, that they were in the country before January 1, 1982, and that they possessed minimal knowledge about U.S. history, government, and the English language.

At the time, the Immigration and Naturalization Service estimated that about four million undocumented immigrants would apply for legal status through the act and that roughly half of them would be eligible.

To say that this was "Reagan's" plan is quite a stretch. It was a bi-partisan Congressional effort to regain control of the border. That control would never happen because no one had the balls to deport children. i.e. Too many votes at risk. :roll:

Hi Mike,
Maybe it was a "stretch" to all credit to Reagan. I wasn't thinking in terms of Congress, obviously, any bill is a bi-partisan effort, but my mind frame was on the next President and I was thinking on Reagan's ability to bring people to together for a passage of IRCA. It is hard for me to believe that every individual who benefited from the passage of IRCA really "possessed minimal knowledge about U.S. History" because growing in California with many immigrants in my communities who benefited under IRCA and can't still speak enough English to operate well in the communities, to much less know the History of the United States. One time I was at the L.A. Convention Center in Los Angeles and next to our conference room people were becoming Naturalized Citizens. There were signs directing people in Spanish where to go. Why are there English Language Exemptions for people who have been Permanent Residents of the United States for at least 20 years? If a person benefited from the passage of IRCA and really wanted to assimilated in this country, why he/she didn't bothered to learn the language during those years? I bet most of them can't even recite the Pledge of Allegiance. What type of patriotism is that? They just keep having children and teaching them Spanish etc., and expect to be provided with accommodations in their Native Language. In my humbled opinion, we have a broken immigration system, both legal and illegal. I personally don't want someone who comes here at age of 50 and be put on a path to Citizenship so that he/she can be put on Medicare and get Social Security benefits when he/she has not contributed a penny to the system. I have a mother who will be 71 next month and she is still working from 6:00 AM -6:00 PM every day, and contributing to the system so someone who just came to the country legal or illegal go directly and obtain benefits.

Thanks for sharing!
Sweetbasil

English Language Exemptions
You Are Exempt From The English Language Requirement, But Are Still Required To Take The Civics Test If You Are:

Age 50 or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have lived as a permanent resident (green card holder) in the United States for 20 years (commonly referred to as the "50/20" exception).
OR
Age 55 or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have lived as a permanent resident in the United States for 15 years (commonly referred to as the "55/15" exception).

Martin Jr. said:
I am always leery of politicians who promise too much that they cannot fulfill. The House and Senate can defeat much that the president wants to change. We need a leader and not a dictator, someone who is aware of the issues and can lead the congress to the right paths.

Hello Martin Jr.,
Thanks for sharing! I went to bed last night thinking why I feel Trump doesn't have a chance at winning the presidency. I believe he is very smart and a great business man, but I couldn't wrap my finger around the "why." Today, I woke up and remember something I have learned about in the training I took to become a Certified Professional Project Manager and it really made an impression on me. I learned about the different negotiation styles and we all took a test to understand out own negotiation styles. I see Trump with the potential, but the area that I see him lacking to bring the country together to get enough votes from Republicans and Democratic voters is his negotiation style. I feel he needs to be more of a Principled type of leader, with a greater dose of assertiveness, because as a President he will be surrounded by people with agendas for their own self-interest and the right negotiation and delivery style of ideas is key. This is just my humbled opinion, but my goal is to get a Republican President and I am just observing the behaviors in the candidates and how they are either alienating the American people or uniting them.

Below is a table with the different negotiation styles just for comparison...

I don't buy that the whole "negotiation style" chart is set in stone. The Republicans in Congress have failed miserably at curtailing obama's agenda, or even doing anything about his many tyrannical executive actions. Democrats, in general, lie miserably and can't be negotiated with in good faith. There are numerous examples. I really think that Trump is the strongest negotiator of the bunch. Certainly the most experienced in business. We need someone who's done something incredible in the private sector, IMO. Fewer politicians. Something closer to what the founders envisioned. In my hard headed opinion. :D

Traveler said:
I don't buy that the whole "negotiation style" chart is set in stone. The Republicans in Congress have failed miserably at curtailing obama's agenda, or even doing anything about his many tyrannical executive actions. Democrats, in general, lie miserably and can't be negotiated with in good faith. There are numerous examples. I really think that Trump is the strongest negotiator of the bunch. Certainly the most experienced in business. We need someone who's done something incredible in the private sector, IMO. Fewer politicians. Something closer to what the founders envisioned. In my hard headed opinion. :D

Hello "Traveler!"
Definitely "nothing is set in stone" but can just be use as interesting reference. You and everyone here is motivating me to pay closer attention to Trump. I am actually getting exciting to get myself more in-tuned with politics again. I can't wait for the upcoming debates and see how our candidates continue to grow. I have to keep an closer eye on Ben for a potential VP; the VP is a very critical role as well and must be a good match to the President to make a good team. I like "Buckweat" as Mike called him ( :) ) but I also really like Ron Paul and his ideas last time. I didn't see Rick Perry in this first debate. Any thoughts on him?

I appreciate reading your "hard headed opinion(s)!"

Have a great evening,
Sweetbasil

sweetbasil said:
Traveler said:

Hello "Traveler!"
Definitely "nothing is set in stone" but can just be use as interesting reference. You and everyone here is motivating me to pay closer attention to Trump. I am actually getting exciting to get myself more in-tuned with politics again. I can't wait for the upcoming debates and see how our candidates continue to grow. I have to keep an closer eye on Ben for a potential VP; the VP is a very critical role as well and must be a good match to the President to make a good team. I like "Buckweat" as Mike called him ( :) ) but I also really like Ron Paul and his ideas last time. I didn't see Rick Perry in this first debate. Any thoughts on him?

Have a great evening,
Sweetbasil
Please explain why you like obama. I think my heads going to explode. We can surely convince you otherwise. :wink: :D

I do like Rick Perry, but I don't know if he's capable of surviving the liberal mainstream media. I do wonder if he could have bucked the administration a little harder and done more on his own for border control. I don't really know.

Have a great Friday and weekend!

Traveler said:
sweetbasil said:
Traveler said:

Hello "Traveler!"

Have a great evening,
Sweetbasil
Please explain why you like obama. I think my heads going to explode. We can surely convince you otherwise. :wink: :D

I do like Rick Perry, but I don't know if he's capable of surviving the liberal mainstream media. I do wonder if he could have bucked the administration a little harder and done more on his own for border control. I don't really know.

Have a great Friday and weekend!

Hello "Traveler!"
I thought Mike was referring to Mike Hmas the candidate by referring to "buckwheat" is that Obama's nickname? LOL... Oh boy, you all going to educate me here for sure!

Have a great weekend!
Sweetbasil

Latest posts