• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wife says its time to cull hard!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

North Ridge Ranching

Reaction score
I am by no means a tree hugger but I am a rancher so there is some form of conservationist / land stewardship ( not sure how to word it properly ) in me. My question is how many trees die each year for sale catalogues? My wife says its time to cull the bull sale catalogues hard or else it will me going out the door!

She has always said that she never has to worry about finding one of those "other" magazines under my mattress, all she finds is the latest bull sale catalogue or farm supply store flyer. :) :)

Big Muddy rancher said:
Just to keep peace in the family I leave mine at Dad's and look at them when I'm in for coffee. :D
bull sale catalogues, or the "other" magazines??

leanin' H said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Thanks, :D That helps alot. It is nice to hear from someone that has experience first hand.

What implant do you use?

What antibiotic?

Sorry i'm just full of questions. :)
If the "magazines" you read had articles instead of just pictures you'd already know all this stuff! :lol: :D Sorry 2 highjack the tread.

Your kind of taking a beating over this one BMR.

We use a pretty straightforward system on the hundreds (not exaggerating) we get each year.
A breed we don't use or have no interest in - burn
No EPD - burn
Don't ultrasound - burn

That trims the catalogues down to a very manageable level.
Then step 2
Sale occurred more than 2 years ago and we did not buy a bull there - burn
Sale occurred more than 10 years ago and we did buy a bull there - maybe burn

The other catalogues, I guess I will just try to stop by BMRs country . :p

35 + years ago when we were married I had boxes/years of sale catalogs- Semen Pimp catalogs- RCA Pro Rodeo Sports New's- IRA Rodeo News- NCMRA Rodeo News- and Playboys-- all stored in the Bunkhouse....
Well the bride went cleaning to make room for her stuff- and my mutimilliiondollar collection was gone :shock: :wink: :p ....

But since then I have ratholed a new collection of salesbooks in my office for all the local sales for the black angus that go back several years (give all the others to the granddaughters that love their bull books)-- and it has given me much introspect to where the angus industry/cow was- has gone ( and in my personal opinion overgone in their pursuit to be continentals) and the direction of going back to moderate maternal cattle which many are again heading toward....

I tell my wife that she's lucky I'm not a sports fanatic or I could be pre-occupied all year 'round. She's not buy'n what I'm sellin'.
It's definately play-off season for bull sales.

I married a very organized woman nearly 18 years ago. I had saved every Sports Illustrated since 1978 :???: , and every important bull sale catalog since I had taken an interest in them in high school. We now have a system where we pitch SI's after 6 months or so, and I only keep the bull sale catalogs that I'm really interested in (Sinclair, Jorgensen's, McCumber, Coleman and Lindskov/Theil.) All the rest turn to ashes after they've taken place, and alot before their even held. I'll keep the one's I bought from for years because I reference them quite often. I've have Jorgensen's since 1991. The sale reps send you a ton of them if you let Cotton, American Angus, or one of those sale promoters get your name. Their actually like telemarketers, and I get alot of books from the Southeast that I have absolutley zero interest in. I should call the promoters and have them take me off the list. If your getting to many, maybe you should do the same. If it will make the wife happy, everyone will be happy. :lol: :lol:

river rat said:
I married a very organized woman nearly 18 years ago. I had saved every Sports Illustrated since 1978 :???: , and every important bull sale catalog since I had taken an interest in them in high school. We now have a system where we pitch SI's after 6 months or so, and I only keep the bull sale catalogs that I'm really interested in (Sinclair, Jorgensen's, McCumber, Coleman and Lindskov/Theil.) All the rest turn to ashes after they've taken place, and alot before their even held. I'll keep the one's I bought from for years because I reference them quite often. I've have Jorgensen's since 1991. The sale reps send you a ton of them if you let Cotton, American Angus, or one of those sale promoters get your name. Their actually like telemarketers, and I get alot of books from the Southeast that I have absolutley zero interest in. I should call the promoters and have them take me off the list. If your getting to many, maybe you should do the same. If it will make the wife happy, everyone will be happy. :lol: :lol:

I love the line where you say " WE now have a system..." We all know that your wife has implemented the system and that there is probably no we involved in the decision process. :D :wink:

North Ridge Ranching said:
river rat said:

I love the line where you say " WE now have a system..." We all know that your wife has implemented the system and that there is probably no we involved in the decision process. :D :wink:
Amen brother :lol: :lol:

Ours isn't of the tree paper sort ... yet, but here is the digital version
http://southshadow.homestead.com/Bulls_For_Sale.html

:) Don't click on the link if you are in a burning or file "g" mood!

Yes, women can get mean and nasty in a hurry, for instance they catch you lookin at sumthin like this.................
prett_women_part_640_70.jpg

your A$$ is grass and she is the lawn mower :cry:
good luck

Latest posts