• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wild cattle catchers needed in California!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

i have been there and done that
and i won't do it again
if the forest service is contracting someone to catch them there is a reason for it
most likly they are kicking some one off and it will end up in court with you and your time and money in the middle
i don't think any rancher would just up and leave a hundred head of cattle on an allotment for the forest service to catch and sell

btw
i have punched cattle from mexico to canada and east to west
and i am proud to be a born and bred TEXAS puncher
but their are alot of those buckaroo types out there in the north west that are very capable of catching wild stock even in the texas brush country
but just like any where else i've been there are some of those guys that just look the part but they get sorted pretty quik when the limbs go to poppin and the rocks go to rollin
until later
jerry

"their are alot of those buckaroo types out there in the north west that are very capable of catching wild stock even in the texas brush country
but just like any where else i've been there are some of those guys that just look the part but they get sorted pretty quik when the limbs go to poppin and the rocks go to rollin"

Amen!

There are good hands everywhere, but there are probably more poor hands than top hands, otherwise why bother to mention the top hands. :wink:

I would have loved to try them thickets and brush when I was young. Not no more! My bones don't bend, they break. And you guys all use too short a rope anyways. :wink:
Why hell, you ain't got nuthin' left to dally with after you pitch one on, one of them ol' sookies! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hello jb
i still pack a long twine and dally on a slick post horn when i'm riding colts
but in the thick brush it's just unhandy to dally as after you have roped one you most genarly can't see it any more and you are to busy fighting limbs out of your way with your hands to dally anyhow
but i still like to play with a long twine in the branding corral ar doctoring yearlings if i have partner i like to throw those big loop hip shots and the such
until later
jerry

Jerry H said:
hello jb
i still pack a long twine and dally on a slick post horn when i'm riding colts
but in the thick brush it's just unhandy to dally as after you have roped one you most genarly can't see it any more and you are to busy fighting limbs out of your way with your hands to dally anyhow
but i still like to play with a long twine in the branding corral ar doctoring yearlings if i have partner i like to throw those big loop hip shots and the such
until later
jerry

Yup.

I've had a few pretty good arguments with some folks who think that there is only one way to do it. Dally or tie on, whichever works best for the job at hand. :)

Hello;
I just discovered this site today and noticed the information on wild cattle in California. I was wondering if I could get some more information about them. The last information on this site that I saw about them was dated in April 07.
Thanks
Wildcowcatcher

cowcatcher , i have worked for Dave errickson been on a quit a few contracts with him in the past damn good hand good wild cow man but hard on horses and men , everyone knows him for the big " burro incident " . i dont think this deal is legit they are tryin to kick some poor hombre of his country and you are probly gonna get shot of you go to unloadin horses and catchin cattle . very very rare if ever does the govt. ever put out a contract on a ranch that is the ranchers deal to remove all cattle from the ranch and until then they tresspass him on every cow or bull till they are removed . So i would just let her float right on by and not get your panties in a wad about tryin to get there to see whats up .

That's been so long ago I deleted the original email. I passed the info onto Gary Williams near Paso Robles. He was going to check it out and he knows what questions to ask. He's a good hand and has got some really good McNab dogs. Those little dogs have got alot of get ahead and are really tough. Thanks, Paul

Jerry said -

"btw
i have punched cattle from mexico to canada and east to west
and i am proud to be a born and bred TEXAS puncher
but their are alot of those buckaroo types out there in the north west that are very capable of catching wild stock even in the texas brush country
but just like any where else i've been there are some of those guys that just look the part but they get sorted pretty quik when the limbs go to poppin and the rocks go to rollin
until later
jerry "

I agree Jerry i have worked in Nevada with some buckaroos and yes they do things different and use different tools to get it done , but there was more than one i would damn sure consider a good hand . I figure a guy aint got much room to spit out out who he thinks is a good hand and who isnt till you been around and worked for a few places and i am not talkin little rinky dink deals either i am talkin workin with big crews , in big country . I have no respect for a man that has only ever worked in "his county " and never really left home , or works on the family place his whole life , then tries to call himself a good hand . No way my friends that just aint how it works , now i dont consider myself a good hand but i have worked with a bunch from Nevada , Texas , New mexico , Califonia , Utah, and some other states as well , and i learn everyday , i was raised in the rocks with trotty and wild cattle . First time i had ever had a maverick on the end of my rope and i am talkin maverick here folks , never been on the end of a rope never had a human hand put on him or held up by dogs or anything else for that matter , i was 14 years old tied off hard and fast in the brush on the side of what they call the four peaks wilderness over by roosevelt lake her ein good ole Arizona . People dont understand that its not were you are from that makes you a hand it what you can get done NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE OR WHOS CATTLE YOUR WOKIN WITH OR WHAT KIND OF COUNTRY YOU IN OR THE HORSE YOUR RIDIN . There is more that just me that think that way . You ask any old cowpuncher , buckaroo , californio , vaquero , and they will i am sure tell you the same thing . Well thats my two cents anyway .

AZ-PUNCHER, COULD YOU PLEASE TELL US THE BIG BURRO INCIDENT STORY? SOUNDS LIKE IT MIGHT BE A GOOD ONE THAT MIGHT INCLUDE SOME WRECKS, WHICH ARE FINE AS LONG AS YOU CAN LAUGH ABOUT THEM LATER.

Yeah ole Dave had a contact with the forest service to catch all the wild burros out of a big chunk of the grand canyon , well he was makin damn good money cause them burros are not that hard to catch , so he was runnin out of burros and didnt wanna lose that good money so he started goin about 100 miles away and catchin them off the desert and haulin them in there to the canyon at night and turnin them loose , and then he would catch them and turn them over to the forest service ha ha , they knew he was doin it but they could never catch him so they cut the contract and that was that ha ha ohh boy were those forest service guys pissed ha ha . He is a good ole boy thats for sure good hand all the way around too .

Thanks for the replies. I've talked with Gary Williams on a couple of different occasions. You're all sure right about the government being hard to deal with when it comes to gathering cattle. I've had a couple of deals with them for gathering the wild cattle off of wilderness areas in California and Nevada and both times they backed out. Once I already had a signed contract and the other one was on the day we were all supposed to sign the contract. I got paid a percentage on the signed contract deal, but not a dime on the other one even though I had spent a week in the wilderness learning the cattle's escape routes and setting up deals with neighboring ranches to be able to cross their country. It was a spendy little lesson. I've had alot better luck just working for other ranchers.
Thanks again.

I'm new so induldge me. I registered to answer 1 question do you know where some wild ones are runnin' ridges without a rightful permittin'? The exact details of final ownership become cloudy on the high chapparel benches and down the dark mahogony ravines. I'd take no persons stock from it's right range but stock that can't be caught & is runnin' afoul of the rules needs regulating. I ain't askin' your permission or your name, just clear directions. Give me that and I'll give you numbers, weight, and talley and some bull sessions no one would believe even if they were true. I challenge You!!!!!
M's Wanderer[/u]

You challenge who to what ? what is this story time at the old round up or what ?I cant say as i have ever heard anyone talk like that cept in a poem or a song haha . What is it your lookin for you have to speak english we dont talk fictional cowboy here .

AZ.....Was that a challange for you to tell this man where there are some cattel tha YOU can not catch, and he is going to give you the tallys sheet on em when he gets em cought? Or , as he said, he joined to ANSWER one question....and if that was so...Who asked that question?? and now...like Elvis, we will have to wonder if Zane GRAY is really dead!???
Crack kills , man , just say NO!

well jeez the way he beats around the bush to say somthin i bet it takes him 2 hours to get his boots on in the morning .

In answer to your question no one was saying the couldnt be caught . So hold up your horses there Lone Ranger take a deep breath and read the post back a little ways and you will see what was said about it .

In another matter maybe it would help to stop reading them louis lamore novels for a little while till you kinda come back to the real world , this way when you talk it doesnt sound like you just copied it out of a cheesy western book .

been following your posts guys AZ and WCC could yall tell me what the hell that guy was jawwin about cause i aint got a clue i me i consider myself a perty good hand i can read horses i can read cattle but i just cant figure out how to that pile.

Latest posts