• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Will a vulture eat a black leg infected carcass?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jhemphill

Reaction score
We had a bull die from what the vet said was black leg. We were told that vultures and coyotes would not eat an infected carcass; however, the next day, it was covered with buzzards and you could tell the coyotes had gotten hold of it. The vet also told us that we didn't need to burn or haul the carcass off; just drag it off so that it was out of the way. Since then, we've been told that we should burn the carcass. Thoughts on this? Also, is there anyway to get the black leg spores out of the pasture?

Faster horses said:
Why would anyone lose a critter to Blackleg in this day and age?
Don't you vaccinate?

We do vaccinate. However, we have only been here a short time and these bulls were bought elsewhere. The new owners are not sure if they had the booster shot or not and don't know where the previous guy bought them from.

jhemphill said:
Faster horses said:
Don't you vaccinate?

We do vaccinate. However, we have only been here a short time and these bulls were bought elsewhere. The new owners are not sure if they had the booster shot or not and don't know where the previous guy bought them from.

It might be a good policy to vaccinate any new animals you buy unless you personally know the seller and their vaccination program.

I think it's just a good housekeeping practice to burn dead carcasses but not everyone has materials laying nearby to always do that.

Vaccinations are not 100%. If the animal is stressed, sick, or in any way compromised, the vaccinations effectiveness is greatly diminished if not completely eliminated. The only animals I've seen buzzards or coyotes refuse have been ones really,really sick and on antibiotics with no successful outcome. I figured they had a smell that was repulsive, if that's possible to a buzzard or coyote :p

Coyotes will not eat an animal that has been killed by lightening. Something about causing a change in the structure of the oxygen in the cells changing it to ozone. I do not have any knowledge of science, but reasoning tells me, since blackleg effects the cells and produces gass it could also produce something like ozone and make it repulsive to animals. I have heard also that white blood cells produce ozone.

Faster horses said:
Don't you vaccinate?
That's what I was thinkin !!! :roll: :roll:

A guy up here lost twenty some calves a couple years ago-figured he hadn't had it for so long-why vaccinate? Probably saved $20 on vaccine with that thought.

Faster horses said:
I felt a yearling long ago that died from blackleg and she felt stiff and crackly; like cattle feel that have been struck by lightening.
What you posted was very interesting to me Clarancen, I had no
idea the similarity.
That brings up another point of confusion. Everything that we've heard says that the carcass should feel stiff and crackly; this one had been dead apprx. 24 hours and was soft and mushy.

Latest posts