• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

winter chores in Alberta (pics)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bward

Reaction score
DSC02744.jpg

before.........
DSC02762.jpg

After.
DSC02758.jpg

sweeping snow out of the trough in the gert sired calf pen
DSC02759.jpg

yum.. cold oatmeal
DSC02765.jpg

the gertish herd
DSC02766.jpg

getting hay from the stack yard
DSC02767.jpg

here come the Angus girls
DSC02768.jpg

DSC02776.jpg

The Angus sired calves.
DSC02779.jpg

Our new Gert bull from Missouri Meadows. Levi.

Those drifts look familiar bward. We needed to use our corral system a couple of weeks ago and it took hubby about 3 hours to plow everything out so we could even get gates open and cattle in it.

Had a beautiful heifer calf born at noon today, I sure wish it would warm up soon.

Good looking operation, Bward. You have quite a lot of snow to contend with, but all seems to be going well in your neck of the woods. Thanks for the pictures.

I still remember seeing a pic of a Gert cow in an ABS catalogue-I think she was LJ Bar 160-she was 25 with a great udder and a big calf.

Is your grain trough made out of a half pipe or pipe frame and belting? Can't quite tell from the picture. How wide and how deep? We have a bunch of tired wood bunks that need replacing.

Your cattle look good. My Uncle was one of the first (if not the first) to AI cows to Gerts in N.Dakota back in the 60's, he really liked the F1's off Hereford cows.

I bought a mature Gert bull a few years back and a couple of yearlings because i felt sorry for them. I turned the mature bull out with a 100 cows a week before i turned out some angus bulls because i wanted to make sure i got "some" calves off him. I think 50 of the 100 were off him.

We kept a couple of hfrs for the kids. Made nice cows.

I tried Brangus but ran into calving trouble.

The trough is made from gas pipeline that wasn't up to specks. It is either 36 or 42 inches.... something like that. Its not bad for calves but cows can fall sideways into it and get stuck on their backs. We have used the multideck at least twice to lift an upset cow out of it. In 30 years thats not too bad.

That was what came to my mind- why a Gert bull in Canada? How do the calves match up to the solid angus?

Just looks funny to see a Haymaker country Santa Gertrubis (sp) standing in a big Canadian snowdrift.... :cry:

OT. Why not Gert? We've had them for 22 years and love them. Right now I have 4 Gert Bulls and the new one is going to breed all those female calves behind him in his picture. The Gert sired calves have about 150 pounds advantage on the Angus sired calves and are on 1/3 the grain.
Besides that I really like the look of them. I don't think there is a finer brood cow than a Gert cross. They have wonderful udders, are easy calving, and the brahma influence gives them a few more brains.
They are virtually no different to raise and require no more care than Angus or Simmental. Heck it was -27 this morning and none of the cattle were shivering. angus or otherwise. I can promise you that they all hate it equally. :wink:

Buckaroo. One tractor has a blade and the other has a bucket. We needed the bucket for the drift over the gate. The blade is used to make pathways for trucks and cows in the field. and road.... and yard.

Cattle feeding times must be pretty tough with not only one but two grain elevators (background) in one of the pics. :p

Cattle feeding times must be pretty tough with not only one but two grain elevators (background) in one of the pics. :p

Those eared bull pipe (frostbites) freeze up clear down here in the Ozarks
good luck in Alberta Canada with them.

Whadda ya mean goodluck? I've had them 22 years.... no luck required. They are not cold blooded reptiles..... sheeh. :?

Those grain elevators however, are dinosaurs and most of them in Canada have been torn down and replaced with fewer newer improved concrete ones. The two in this town were sold, one to a private farm and another to a fertilizer company so they are still in use. I am glad they are still here, its part of our history.

Bward said:
OT. Why not Gert? We've had them for 22 years and love them. Right now I have 4 Gert Bulls and the new one is going to breed all those female calves behind him in his picture. The Gert sired calves have about 150 pounds advantage on the Angus sired calves and are on 1/3 the grain.
Besides that I really like the look of them. I don't think there is a finer brood cow than a Gert cross. They have wonderful udders, are easy calving, and the brahma influence gives them a few more brains.
They are virtually no different to raise and require no more care than Angus or Simmental. Heck it was -27 this morning and none of the cattle were shivering. angus or otherwise. I can promise you that they all hate it equally. :wink:

Not meaning to be critical- just curious as I've never had much experience with eared cattle except for trying to ride them...
I have the greatest regard for folks that will think out of the box and try something different...Especially when it works for them...
I guess it is the shock of seeing him standing in that snowbank- that doesn't fit the way a person normally thinks of Gerts..

I think the fellow that had the ones I bought came from out in Gcreeks country some where. I know a fellow that might know i had better ask.

My bull was a import from the King ranch, and was a darn good bull.

Latest posts