• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

WYO horse sale

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mtn_90

Reaction score
I asked this over on Horses and Dogs, but haven't gotten any traffic to respond. Anyone been to one of their sales? If so, is it one of those sales that's gotten out of hand with price and hype?

From the reports I've seen, I think many would think they are overpriced, but if you get a good solid horse that handles good and doesn't get anybody hurt, what is it worth?

If you are talking about one around my area, I will makes a phone call or two and see what the market has been like in past sales.

Jinglebob said:
From the reports I've seen, I think many would think they are overpriced, but if you get a good solid horse that handles good and doesn't get anybody hurt, what is it worth?

My Dr. bills from my ordeal last summer were$30,000 could buy a heck of a horse for that much..

Denny said:
Jinglebob said:

My Dr. bills from my ordeal last summer were$30,000 could buy a heck of a horse for that much..

That was what I was thinking and meant Denny.

Several years ago I got in a wreck on a horse who bucked at the wrong time and had a simple break on one bone in my wrist. Doctor cost me $3600. Broke horses are worth quite a bit to me. I won't sell them cheap and won't buy one that is a "bargain". Buy from someone you would trust your life with cuz you are.

I've got a dandy right now for sale and he will bring about half what thoses of Cody Bill's will, but he still ain't real cheap, but then he's worth it. Gaurantee'd anyway the buyer wants him except to shy or buck! :)

I've got 3 bomb proof Quater Horses my kids have been rideing them since they were 3 or 4 by themselves.I don't know how much they would cost to replace but you would need lot's of cash to buy any of them.I paid $2200 for one the other I bought for $1000 when he was 2 and the 3rd is one we raised.

Yeah, I don't like going to sales. It's hard to find anything in my area that I'd trust from someone I'd trust. There's plenty of horse traders out there and I don't really want to buy my child a horse from that. I prefer getting one from someone I trust.

Hopefully I've got a lead on one now if I need it. I appreciate the response everyone. I like to ride the horse first. Never saw much point in buying a horse for xxxx amount of dollars when I hadn't even ridden it yet.

Would ya buy a car without test driving it first, or buy a house ya hadn't pulled on the door to or walked through? I don't like the big sales much for finding a good horse for kids especially.

Again, thanks to all of you.

I would like to make a point here.

I've seen many, many horses who looked real good when their owner was riding them. Then when the new owner got on them, they couldn't make the horse do nearly as much. This is not the fault of the old owner or the horse, but the fact that the new owner wasn't as expierienced of a rider as the old owner or was using different cues on the horse. In most cases, once the horse and new rider got into sync with one another, then the horse perfomed well, and most times the new owner claimed he/she had to "train" the horse.

If you can''t ride a straight up spade bit horse, don't buy one!

It would be like buying an ocean liner and expecting to be able to make it perform well because you've rowed a row boat in the past. :)

I just put up a new topic on horses and dogs about my horse for sale. If anyone is interested check it out.

I will be asking for references from the prospective buyer, nothing personal. I want to make sure he goes to a great home that will treat him as well as he will treat them.

Good for you, Buckerette. :clap:

That is exactly what we do. We don't SELL horses, we PLACE them to a good home.

And as for the spade bit, Jinglebob, I don't know of anyone in Montana that is qualified to ride a horse with a spade bit. Now, I didn't say NO ONE was qualified, I said I didn't know of anyone qualified. I see folks use them that sure should not and I have been around a lot of horse people, different ranches and horse events of different types.

Faster horses said:
And as for the spade bit, Jinglebob, I don't know of anyone in Montana that is qualified to ride a horse with a spade bit. Now, I didn't say NO ONE was qualified, I said I didn't know of anyone qualified. I see folks use them that sure should not and I have been around a lot of horse people, different ranches and horse events of different types.

I suppose you know every horseman in the state? :wink:

I don't know but a couple who are capable enough, but then I don't know but a couple who REALLY understand and can REALLY ride a horse! :shock:

By the way, my spade bit is milder than a short shanked curb or snaffle. It has a large spoon and a horse won't fight it as fast as any other bit I've ever used. Too many think a spade is used for pain and that isn't the right way to use one anymore than is using a bosal for pain. Pain is not the best way to communicate with a horse.

We are all just trying to do the best we can with what we have.

"we are all trying to do the best we can with what we have"

Man, Jingle bob, did you hit the nail on the head with that one!!
Only know one spade-bit man myself, but I sure don't know everyone!!
As far as that new horse-and-rider combination, a fella I knew well that rode a lot of horses for a lot of people always told them when asked 'What will I be able to do with my horse when you have had him for 30 days'
'I don't know what you will be able to do with them. I know what I will be able to do with them'

Latest posts