• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wyoming Fence?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

It is pretty overrated country. A good ole cowman that we knew always said it was the most over-rated country in Montana. It truly is a swamp.

Gene Potter is where we ran our cows. His wife was a Hirschy. They were really good people. Gene was a good team roper, but because it was so boggy in that country, he and some other guys devised how to head and heel the yearlings with 4 wheelers. They had a dally post built on the back of the 4-wheeler and they "got 'er done." (And a good time was had by all. :wink: )

Our good old neighbor in W. Montana that passed away Jan. 05, worked for Klemo's when he was young. And I think Brent Johnson, who taught for awhile at Buffalo, SD, was married to Diane Klemo.

Thanks for letting me know who it was you worked for.

Did you ever run into Mark Raymond? He was a great guy and really good hand.

Did you know Brent Munday?

Well we ranch in the boggiest country there is and it would be a cold day in hell-I'd head and heel anything off a quad. They can't go where a 'GOOD' horse can anyway-haven't seen many team ropers good bad or otherwise that would make an average cowhand-same with their arena horses-we've had those guys have to turn back and go home because they couldn't ride where the cows go-if a cow can run through it-you better be riding a horse can follow her. Quads are for fencing,taking out salt and dragging out big dead bucks-I've seen too many four wheeler rodeos with cows in my day.

Branding053.jpg

This is a real good muskkeg horse-cool as a cucumber and you could tie a moose to him and he'd keep his feet. That guy riding him is one of the best cowboys I've had the pleasure of working with.

That's a great picture!

But you are painting those guys all wrong. They are ranchers who team rope for fun. I don't hold team ropers as a group in especially high esteem. I used to announce team ropings, my husband and daughter rope a bit...so I do know something...though I wouldn't profess to know as much as YOU.

These guys are hands, they use horses, but they don't want to pull tendons by riding in that bog. And let me tell you, they get those yearlings doctored just like I said. You gotta do what ya gotta do.
As for me, I'm glad the horses don't hafta run in that stuff. Far as I'm concerned there's not a cow alive worth ruining a good horse over.

We don't even own a four wheeler.

Sometimes you come off as a smart alec, NR.

That's because I am-been there done that with the quad boys-all we need is to somebody to tie hard to one of them and get in a real wreck. We've never crippled a horse in the mud yet and trust me we've got boggy ground. I think treating yearlings with quads was probably more for the enjoyment of the crew than the good of the yearling. Trust me in my wildest dreams I don't know as much as YOU lol.

Are these called a Wyoming Fence in some places?

About the only place I see these here are in the mountains, where Lodgepole pine happens to be available.

Northern Rancher said:
Ohh I didn't know what too call it-my buddies in Wyoming couldn't get over that cattle guards are called Texas Gates in my country lol.

I thought calling them "auto gates" sounded odd.

After reading more post I now understand the need for this type of fence in your area.

Every area has it's own challenges.

i know brent munday really well (even if i didn't spell his name right) I worked for steve hirschy, related to dick hirschy. my aunt is katie kajun, who used to be a mcdougal. and i do know potters...wow...its a small world. i did a little bit of work at the cross, went to school with one of their cowboy's sons. and zobels, knew them fairly well. who else was up there......i worked with the circle s a bit, but most the time i stayed up there in steve's place.

Interesting. Yep, it is a small world. I just thought of Gene Potter's wifes name. It is Jan. Geez, I hate it when I draw a blank.

I think you spelled Brent Munday's name correctly.

Where are you in Wyoming? That is where we are originally from.
This world could get even smaller! :wink:

Faster horses said:
Interesting. Yep, it is a small world. I just thought of Gene Potter's wifes name. It is Jan. Geez, I hate it when I draw a blank.

I think you spelled Brent Munday's name correctly.

Where are you in Wyoming? That is where we are originally from.
This world could get even smaller! :wink:

I live in cody right now...been in the cody/powell area for 3 years, before that the big timber/melville country in montana.

Latest posts