• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wyoming Information Needed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Since you have all the answers. Why did you ask for information?
I don't have all of the answers, but your information makes Sheridan look absolutely terrible. That's not the information wife and I are looking for. You wouldn't do very good working for Sheridan Tourism & Relocation, would you? LOL

Question, just how old are you? I mean, you say you're too old to move, but we are almost in our mid 70's and going to move. Just wondering.

Pretty much all of the rodeos I have been to lately have turned into drunken parties. Maybe I didn't see it when I was competing because I rarely went into the stands. Yesterday at Pendleton the announcer told the locations of all the different bars around the arena. These aren't outside establishments. They are part of the roundup.

Living in an apartment and moving yourself in one vehicle is one thing, selling and moving a ranch is quite another. If it were simple, we would do it.

Don't you know it is rude to ask a woman her age?
I'm older than you.
Well, I don't know you and you mentioned age, so I thought I'd ask. You sound like you "trash" Sheridan, same as a lady that was telling me about Cheyenne.

There are those that don't necessarily want to read about a city they are interested in being "trashed".

The word "rude", in my book, is in the eyes of the beholder. Some folks will say "that was rude" and the person was only asking a question that was taken too personally. My SIL (wife's sister/78) will sometimes say "that was rude" to something I said to her. I told her "don't take things so personally".

Yes, we can move easily. When we lived in Colorado before, we had a nice 2-story house in a very nice area, but wound up selling and moving out of Colorado.

Pretty much all of the rodeos I have been to lately have turned into drunken parties. Maybe I didn't see it when I was competing because I rarely went into the stands. Yesterday at Pendleton the announcer told the locations of all the different bars around the arena. These aren't outside establishments. They are part of the roundup.
Just like NFL, MLB, NBA and PGA, fans get too much to drink and...........look out. Contestants don't do that, because, if reported to PRCA, they can have their membership card suspended-revoked. As far as what the announcer said, it was just information to the fans.........basically, his job. But, the rowdiness seen in major league sports events, just don't happen at PRCA rodeos. But, what happens at the town bar/nightclub after the rodeo, is out of the hands of the Rodeo Committee. When a dance/concert is done inside the rodeo arena, or another building on the grounds, then the Rodeo Committe could have control of it. At most-to-all PRCA rodeos, local law enforcement are there and "at the ready".

Well, I don't know you and you mentioned age, so I thought I'd ask. You sound like you "trash" Sheridan, same as a lady that was telling me about Cheyenne.

There are those that don't necessarily want to read about a city they are interested in being "trashed".

The word "rude", in my book, is in the eyes of the beholder. Some folks will say "that was rude" and the person was only asking a question that was taken too personally. My SIL (wife's sister/78) will sometimes say "that was rude" to something I said to her. I told her "don't take things so personally".

Yes, we can move easily. When we lived in Colorado before, we had a nice 2-story house in a very nice area, but wound up selling and moving out of Colorado.
I seriously doubt that you know the meaning of rude.
I bet your sister-in-law was right on.
You have insulted many ranchers on this forum you are so full of yourself.
This is called Rancher's.net, not Cowboys.net or PRCA.net.

I seriously doubt that you know the meaning of rude.
I bet your sister-in-law was right on.
You have insulted many ranchers on this forum you are so full of yourself.
This is called Rancher's.net, not Cowboys.net or PRCA.net.

I just edited what I wrote, but will say this, quite possibly you are right about me, but you don't know my SIL, like her sister, her brother and myself know her.

Bottom Line is: We will have to visit Sheridan and make determinations ourselves. May like it, may not.

Last edited:
Faster horses, I'm truly sorry about how you feel about the change/changes to Sheridan, but there are those that live in Sheridan that, most likely, who don't share your feelings.

I do know how some folks, especially Seniors, feel about how their area/city has changed, because we see it right here where we live. But, unfortunately (sometimes), people can't be stopped from moving and neither can "progress" stop from happening.

I'm also sorry for sounding "rude" to you. Guess that's a personality thing I have to work on.

To all, it may concern: If you are going to rodeo with the real ranchers, you must throw a bigger loop and learn to control all that slack before you wrap your dally. :)
Actually, when I went to a Roping School, I was taught the word is "deliver" not "throw" a loop. And, that word "deliver" was in a Team Roping Instructional book done by Clay O'Brien Cooper and Jake Barnes.
I never had a problem controlling my slack, dallying, turning my horse to face "heeler's" horse, backing my horse up in order to tighten the rope. We did get "flagged out" sometimes however, for illegal head catch or no catch at all from me or my "heeler".

Ok, I'm sorry for asking for information. Apparently this isn't the site for doing that. Again, sorry!

I live in a too small for you community. 10 or 11 non ranch houses. 10 full time ranches. Ranchers, hired men, and actively involved family probably totals 20 people. Only 2 of them wear cowboy hats regularly. Most all of them competed in rodeo at one time or another. Several at a very high level. But ball caps are much more regular than cowboy hats.
Hang out in Baker City very long and you will see people going by pulling a trailer. Either full of cows or saddled up horses with cowboys going to and from work. Again the hats will vary.

Where we are currently living, and have been for three years now, is no longer for us. Actually, probably shouldn't have moved here (northern Colorado) in the first place, but. We've been up to Wyoming, as in Cheyenne, Laramie and Cody. Cheyenne and Laramie was for rodeos and Cody was for going into Yellowstone N.P. We did go to Cheyenne one time to check it out for a possible move to there, but decided against that. Cheyenne is simply too big, as is Casper. We want, if at all possible, is to see mountains in either summer or winter. Not live in mountains, only be able to see them. To be able to talk current rodeo, with those that have a large interest in it like we do. IOW, we watch the Cowboy Channel ("live" rodeos) darn near every evening and weekends.

Now, we already know about the housing shortage, so, if we can't find a house or apartment to rent, moving to anywhere in Wyoming would be a "no". We are planning on a small trip to Sheridan shortly to check things out. We want this to be our last and a good move. We are both headed into our mid 70's.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Moving from one area to the other is stressing mentally and physically and would add unneeded stress to people in their mid 70s. Im mid 50's and wouldn't change houses very easily and I won't leave my area. We like our kids, grand kids, church, neighbors, merchants, enemies , etc. this is home. They will bury me here in "the tombs of my fathers".

I live in a too small for you community. 10 or 11 non ranch houses. 10 full time ranches. Ranchers, hired men, and actively involved family probably totals 20 people. Only 2 of them wear cowboy hats regularly. Most all of them competed in rodeo at one time or another. Several at a very high level. But ball caps are much more regular than cowboy hats.
Hang out in Baker City very long and you will see people going by pulling a trailer. Either full of cows or saddled up horses with cowboys going to and from work. Again the hats will vary.
Yep, and it was that way 50 years ago. When I first moved there, more hard hats were seen than "cowboy" hats. Not that there weren't any cowboys, just that rounding up timber was more lucrative than cattle. A lot of ranches stayed afloat thanks to logging and mining. The main street always had several logging trucks pulling a full and a pup, especially in the morning headed to the westbound freeway. Tractors with a dollied trailer were on the main street headed south.

The entire county was buzzing with logging trucks. I think I saw more "cowboys" or ranchers wearing full brim hardhats waiting in a lot of the freight company early in the morning, to pick up repair parts for skidders, etc., than I did on ranches. We all had a large full thermos of coffee and by the time the freight came in, they might be half empty, but a stop at the Inland Cafe remedied that problem before we all headed to the hills.

What was commonly seen among ranchers and loggers was high-top lace-up boots with heels. Most were made locally at Tom's Boots which was across the street and kitty-corner to Lew Bros., where the smell of retreading tires filled the air. I had two pairs made at Tom's and reheeled more times than I can remember. Tom and later George made my heels 2 1/2" and 2 3/4" since I have very high arched feet. They always put an extra design to make them "girl" boots. Most of the men had theirs made 1 3/4." I remember one guy that admired my boots so he had Tom make his with 2 1/4" heels and I remember when he showed up for morning freight with a different gait to his walk. He sure took a ribbing from the guys. Being the comedian I am, I volunteered to teach him how to sashay with his new heels. It was the next day he had Tom cut them down to 1 3/4".

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, and it was that way 50 years ago. When I first moved there, more hard hats were seen than "cowboy" hats. Not that there weren't any cowboys, just that rounding up timber was more lucrative than cattle. A lot of ranches stayed afloat thanks to logging and mining. The main street always had several logging trucks pulling a full and a pup, especially in the morning headed to the westbound freeway. Tractors with a dollied trailer were on the main street headed south.

The entire county was buzzing with logging trucks. I think I saw more "cowboys" or ranchers wearing full brim hardhats waiting in a lot of the freight company early in the morning, to pick up repair parts for skidders, etc., than I did on ranches. We all had a large full thermos of coffee and by the time the freight came in, they might be half empty, but a stop at the Inland Cafe remedied that problem before we all headed to the hills.

What was commonly seen among ranchers and loggers was high-top lace-up boots with heels. Most were made locally at Tom's Boots which was across the street and kitty-corner to Lew Bros., where the smell of retreading tires filled the air. I had two pairs made at Tom's and reheeled more times than I can remember. Tom and later George made my heels 2 1/2" and 2 3/4" since I have very high arched feet. They always put an extra design to make them "girl" boots. Most of the men had theirs made 1 3/4." I remember one guy that admired my boots so he had Tom make his with 2 1/4" heels and I remember when he showed up for morning freight with a different gait to his walk. He sure took a ribbing from the guys. Being the comedian I am, I volunteered to teach him how to sashay with his new heels. It was the next day he had Tom cut them down to 1 3/4".

View attachment 2252
We both have boots darn near exactly like the one you pictured, but they are from Ariat. They are called Lace-Up Roper Boots. We also have short Ariat Lace-Up Hiking Boots.

Moving from one area to the other is stressing mentally and physically and would add unneeded stress to people in their mid 70s. Im mid 50's and wouldn't change houses very easily and I won't leave my area. We like our kids, grand kids, church, neighbors, merchants, enemies , etc. this is home. They will bury me here in "the tombs of my fathers".
BUT, that is you! For us, it's some stress, but we dislike where we currently live so much, we haven't got a choice. When a person/persons live somewhere they end up not liking anymore, that can be very stressful as well.
We have no kids, grandkids and it is very unfriendly where we live, not only in our apartment complex, but the city as well. Due to the Pandemic or whatever, it just is. I've mentioned to other folks here just how unfriendly it is and they totally agreed. Now, if people don't like talking to others and keep to themselves, where we live is the place to live.
Physically speaking, we have packed up a whole lot of things and put them into a rented storage spot. Not a big deal doing that. We won't move ourselves and we never have. Call a good moving company and they take care of the big stuff.
IOW, there are those, and sometimes, no matter what the age is, "gotta do what they gotta do".

you were told, Sheridan, is expensive, limited housing, most horse related stuff is at the polo grounds, not many cowboy hats.
Well, I guess saying "sorry" didn't work! LOL

Compared to where we have lived before, including where we live now, Sheridan is NOT expensive. Not at all! Limited housing, yes, but we have already been sent some places to rent and the monthly rent amazed us at how low it was. Obviously, because we won't be moving until the middle of next year, we can't rent now. Won't pay rent on two places..........where we live now and a new place.
As far as "horse related stuff", we were told somewhat very different by a person who is on the Sheridan Rodeo Committee. But, if that's all you see is what is at the polo grounds, well.
As far as cowboy hats, "not many" is much more than can be seen where we live right now. I have worn both my straw and black felt to Walmart, grocery store and dinner without getting any weird looks. OTOH, when my wife wears hers, she can get some "looks". It's not common here to see a woman, especially an older woman, wearing a cowboy hat. And, we had a member of LBRA (Little Britches) tell us, "Don't worry about wearing your hats in Sheridan. Perhaps you will start up an old trend of wearing them again there. Sheridan isn't totally dead on the "Western way of life" he said.

Anyway, this is why we are making the visit to Sheridan. To judge for ourselves..........like it or not, and go from there.

Latest posts