• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wyoming Rancher are you staying safe?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
I read your weather forcast. Holy cow, it's turned into winter
there:

WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM MDT
WEDNESDAY.

* TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES ARE EXPECTED IN THE
LOWER ELEVATIONS WITH 10 TO 20 INCHES OVER THE SNOWY RANGE AND
SOUTHERN LARAMIE RANGE.

* WINDS/VISIBILITIES...NORTHEAST WINDS OF 15 TO 20 MPH ALONG
WITH HIGHER GUSTS WILL COMBINE WITH THE HEAVY SNOWFALL TO
PRODUCE BLOWING SNOW AND NEAR ZERO VISIBILITIES AT TIMES.

* WIND CHILLS...WIND CHILL VALUES WILL DROP INTO THE SINGLE
DIGITS AND TEENS ACROSS THE WARNING AREA TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY
MORNING.

* OBSERVED AMOUNTS...AS OF 9 PM MOST AREAS HAVE RECEIVED 4 TO 6
INCHES OF SNOW.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL MAY BECOME VERY DIFFICULT DUE TO SNOW COVERED
ROADS AND LOW VISIBILITIES INCLUDING PORTIONS OF INTERSTATE 25
AND INTERSTATE 80. SOME ROADS COULD BECOME IMPASSIBLE OR
CLOSED. HUNTERS AND OTHER OUTDOOR ENTHUSIASTS MAY BE
SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACTED BY THESE WINTRY CONDITIONS. ALSO...
HEAVY WET SNOW COULD ACCUMULATE ON TREES WITH LATE SEASON
FOLIAGE. THIS COULD CAUSE BRANCHES TO BREAK...POTENTIALLY
PRODUCING POWER OUTAGES.

Wow, Brrrr . Here I am complaining about it freezing at night now.

I am sure a pro like WR is safe and sound though .

If I could choose anyone to have my back working in those conditions it would definitely be her . :tiphat:

Big Muddy rancher said:
:shock: Yikes :shock:

Glad I live up north. :D

We picked up .3 of moisture at the north place last night- and a couple miles east got 1/2 inch... I heard the ground was white at sunrise this morning near Opheim...

Hopefully your weather forcast was blown out of proportion like ours was over here....we were supposed to get windy and cold and at least 3 inches of snow; we got cold, 16 degrees this morning, not much wind to speak of, and a skiff of the white stuff. Hope you just got a skiff over in your neck of the woods!

Wyoming Wind said:
Hopefully your weather forcast was blown out of proportion like ours was over here....we were supposed to get windy and cold and at least 3 inches of snow; we got cold, 16 degrees this morning, not much wind to speak of, and a skiff of the white stuff. Hope you just got a skiff over in your neck of the woods!

You've still got our summer's haying weather at your place. :lol:

Thanks for the concern, it hasn't turned into much, maybe 6-7 inches so far and still falling. I have the cattle situated in good shelter, and the wind should blow later to open the feed back up. The calves are long gone, replacements kicked back out, and I'm on auto pilot, so I'll be staying inside of my house today :wink: :D .

Oh goody, round two is on the way... followed by round three Saturday :?

... Winter Storm Watch in effect from Tuesday afternoon through
Wednesday morning...

The National Weather Service in Cheyenne has issued a Winter
Storm Watch... which is in effect from Tuesday afternoon through
Wednesday morning.

* Timing... light snow will develop Tuesday afternoon as a strong
cold front moves south across the area. Snowfall may become
heavy at times Tuesday evening and Tuesday night before tapering
to light snow showers early Wednesday morning.

* Total snow accumulations... total snow accumulations will range
from 4 to 8 inches across the lower elevations below 7500
feet... with 10 to 18 inches of snow across the southern Laramie
range... Snowy Range... and Sierra Madre range.

* Winds/visibilities... north to northeast winds will increase to
20 to 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph possible Tuesday night.
These winds will create areas of blowing and drifting snow
reducing visibilities to one quarter of a mile at times.

* Wind chills... the combination of much colder temperatures and
gusty winds will produce wind chills in the single digits to
near zero Tuesday night.

* Impacts... highways may become slick and snow covered Tuesday
night. Locally heavy snowfall combined with blowing snow may
produce near white out conditions at times... especially over the
Interstate 80 Summit between Laramie and Cheyenne... and the
northern Snowy Range foothills near Arlington and Elk Mountain.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant
snow accumulations that may impact travel. Continue to monitor
the latest forecasts.

Well whitewing its still 74 here too.....till tonight then it turns.
After the other night most are wanting more snow.......even me LOLOLOLOL
I hope we get something from the storm snow, ice, rain I dont care.

Went over to Riverton Livestock Auction yesterday and drove back across South Pass mid-morning worried about the roads and at that time the storm had kinda fizzled...slick just for about 5 miles and unbelievably NO WIND! I bet if it got windy it would be terrible...hope your area's storm fizzles a little for ya!

glad to hear you did'nt have troubles on your road-trip; it did'nt snow at all here, just a few 'flakes'...I don't have a home here in Meeteetse...just living out of pocket and motel-room until my cell rings with a suitable ranch-job offer to help me get through the winter months and (hopefully) beyond, before my remaining $aving$ runs-out. I've heard they are pushing quite a few head through the sale-barn there in Riverton; I have a buddy on my friends-list on Facebook who is a brand-inspector; he's been putting in some serious hours, but sadly they did'nt have any day-work available for me; which is good actually, because the motel-room rates in Riverton are all up by 20% from this time last year on account of the energy-boom. I've even tried getting involved in oil/gas companies, but they don't seem to be interested in hiring ranch-hands/cowboys for some reason.

ltdumbear2 said:
I've heard they are pushing quite a few head through the sale-barn there in Riverton; I have a buddy on my friends-list on Facebook who is a brand-inspector; he's been putting in some serious hours, but sadly they did'nt have any day-work available for me;
Hang in there, something is bound to come up for ya. Keep checking the Wyoming Livestock Roundup paper, there aren't any jobs listed on there right now but I bet once everyone starts feeding/calving there will be some. They usually have half a dozen jobs listed. If I do hear of anything in are area I'll let you know. Yeah, they ran a pile of cattle thru Riverton the other day; great people that work there!

No worries, I am a survivor; if I was'nt, I would've tucked-tayl and headed back east YEARS ago. I've started combing craigslist for dishwashing-jobs now...alot of the bigger mountain-lodges will be opening again in Dec (or once the snow-pack settles in) for snowmobilers...and they (sometimes) offer dorm-type housing for seasonal employees. I can grab my meals from the line-cook, sometimes there's a bar on-site for the few times I need a Jack & Coke, and these days, there's always wi-fi available to continue my online-college courses at night, as well as to continue my job-search. I suspect there'll be alot of ranchers looking in April/May to hire calving-help; anybody who continues to start calving in Jan/Feb is either asking for trouble (death-loss) or rubs-shoulders with very wealthy (and influential) people.

ltdumbear2 said:
No worries, I am a survivor; if I was'nt, I would've tucked-tayl and headed back east YEARS ago. I've started combing craigslist for dishwashing-jobs now...alot of the bigger mountain-lodges will be opening again in Dec (or once the snow-pack settles in) for snowmobilers...and they (sometimes) offer dorm-type housing for seasonal employees. I can grab my meals from the line-cook, sometimes there's a bar on-site for the few times I need a Jack & Coke, and these days, there's always wi-fi available to continue my online-college courses at night, as well as to continue my job-search. I suspect there'll be alot of ranchers looking in April/May to hire calving-help; anybody who continues to start calving in Jan/Feb is either asking for trouble (death-loss) or rubs-shoulders with very wealthy (and influential) people.
Also take a peek on tri-state livestock news (www.tsln.com)...there are quite a few jobs listed on there, so you never know!

thx folks, I've had all those (and more) 'ag-rags' book-marked for almost two-decades now, Googling: 'help-wanted, ranch, 307' occasionally turns up the occasional 'unknown' newspaper or 'ag-rag' ad (wow, say that ten-times fast ? lol) which I add to my book-marks, and of course I'm registered with: Wyo, Montana and Idaho job-services/workforce websites and log into them religiously several times a day.

Clearly we are living in ruff-time$, and the continued 'influx' of people seeking to escape the ever-encroaching, over-crowded metro-suburbia are pouring into the western/rocky-mountain areas at an increasing rate more and more with each passing year, and it's making the few remaining ranch-jobs harder and harder to find.

It's important to me that I keep a cyber-presence among ag-people as I can, as more and more of you have (embraced ?) the desktop/laptop as a means to reach-out to OTHER ag-people.

As far as I'm concerned, the only way I can find a DECENT rancher to commit to and work for, is by 'networking' through others, rather than sit here and WAIT for a help-wanted ad to pop-up online, and then 'pounce' on it as quick as I can.

I can only guess how many resumes/applications and phone-calls befall the un-suspecting rancher/farmer who takes a chance and posts a help-wanted ad online...

...I really 'feel' for you owners/managers; I've crawled on hands and knees to shovel-out from under the dirtiest, crappiest, most venomous spider-infested cattle-scales whenever needed, but after 19 yrs of working alongside some of the 'best' who drifted out here into the livestock-business, I'm here to tell you that you could'nt PAY me enuf to sit down and shuffle though a pile of resumes/applications to find the 'top-three' candidates, which surely must be circulating among the region, in a desperate attempt to secure the same type of employment (on a ranch or farm) that I am.

You have my respects...I just pray that whoever my next ranch-boss is, will believe that.

(ps: just so everyone knows, it is my sincerest hope that I find a ranch-job that will keep me here in Wyoming (where I'm licensed to drive, and where my truck is registered) or at least as close to her as possible. Bopping-across several state-lines just to see how different outfits did things was 'fun' when I was in my twenties, not so much now that I'm 20 yrs older.)

God Bless you all.

Latest posts