• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

You All Don't Realize

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RobertMac said:
...there is a point where a bullet is the most hmane thing and the best ambassadorship we have.....

My personal opinion is we have gone to far trying to make a penny off of the last scrap of meat that we get other stuff in there too often...

That representation of what it is and selling it as such is doing so with integrety...That is my main thing....Let the customer know and decide.....

Aren't we recognized as a nation able to make high end better than any other? Being consitent and not trying to slip thing by does make a difference....

No test is 100% in any industry....Best available Science at one time said the world is flat......
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think being open and transparent that we are an industry doing everything possible and testing as much as possible would do more than the few scares from false positives.......

Bravo!!! Great post, PPRM

Thanks,

The one thing I would ad is I do not think it is bad for there to be different opinions as mine and there to be an open dialogue on that....We are very fortunate i the Beef industry in that we have a varied customer base. It allows us to raise different cattle in different environments in different ways....

Also, rereading my post, I do need to state I recognize the need for diferent grades, types and values of Beef at the counter,

PPRM

Ben, apparently, I didn't make it clear enough that I was referring to others who, by implication, very often show their dislike, even hatred, of corporate, multi-national packers. I sometimes don't get the name of writer to whose comment I reply close enough to my reply. Sorry about that. I definitely do agree that, on a large scale, it probably would be unwise for ranchers to become packers.

What "claims" of NCBA? I've SEEN many projects, programs, research and cooperative efforts between NCBA, CBB, industry beyond the producer and feeder, become effective in bringing home to producers an improvement in their bottom line. The BQA program is one. The damage to producers when a consumer, or even a packer, finds a disgusting infection from an improperly given injection in a piece of beef is very real. So is the sheer loss of product from many of the other problems addressed in BQA training. Educational programs with medical providers, Food Service personnel, educators of kids, nutrition professionals all build confidence in beef as a nutrient valuale food. Surely you are not one of those who believe those efforts help only the packer or retailer, are you? IMO, the major reason beef demand is not increasing faster is due to not enough checkoff dollars to reach even more consumers with the educational messages. Advertising works, of course, but where nutrition is concerned, education seals the deal when we have such a nutrient rich product as beef is.

I'm sorry, but your 'documentation' is heavy on anecdotal evidence, and short on third party corroboration, IMO. For instance, you show no proof other than your BELIEF that JoAnne Smith was 'placed' in positions of power in NCBA in order to accomodate packers' wishes, do you? BTW, I'm not so much "bringing in NCBA as the gospel" as I am pointing out specific projects in the works, or accomplished by the federation division, or stating policy positions of the dues division.

I will plead guilty to asking questions........but please, will you admit I get few answers???

Many challenge me on my lack of faith in BSE testing by Creekstone, or any other company, for that matter. NO ONE has stated specific reliable tests available, nor the level of expertise necessary for accuracy in adminitering and reading and interpreting tests.

What is your basis for being so certain NCBA and USDA are being pushed or led into a certain direction by packers? Why is that more likely that that the direction is determined by the consumers. I see NCBA members and Beef Checkoff leaders as trying to influence that direction by better educating consumers as to what beef is and what it can do for their diets. Lord knows, consumers have long been misled by competing proteins,such as the poultry industry convincing government that their 'white meat' was synonomous with better health in humans! And the oilseed merchants with their 'safer' fats. You know the job we in the cattle/beef industry had to do to keep from being unfairly painted as a dangerous luxury! Now that we have a foot in the door of respectability as a beneficial and healthful food, we have got to take advantage and get full recognition of what we have in beef. Time spent infighting between industry segments is time wasted, IMO.

Surely you can't really believe that NCBA does not talk to and listen to consumers, can you?

Since you believe I'm so ill-informed and blindly led, please tell me point blank what it is that "industry, corporation or company above the producer level does to keep from absorbing these additional costs"?

Sandhusker, no one has told me the tests were not reliable. NO ONE has answered with facts about what tests are available, their accuracy rate, and level of education and training is required to read the tests. More important, no one shows that it is possible, let alone feasible to test every critter going to slaughter for human consumption, and no one has shown that the best available science is wrong when saying SRM removal protects the meat from BSE contamination.

E coli testing and efforts to control that factor HAS resulted in a decline in illnesses attributed to beef as the source. No doubt you won't believe that because the packers, along with virtually all other players in the industry, have put lots of their own money and time into attempts to eliminate the problem of e coli contamination. They have had some disappointments, but have made some real gains in that effort.

PPRM, I do realize there is a vast difference in a young, healthy animal which has had an accident and one which is totally worn out and/or diseased. I agree that the latter has no business going to slaughter, certainly not for human food. There are educational programs aimed at those who send that type of cattle out, too. But real enforcement will probably be necessary to stop it entirely.

We have sold enough cattle for beef, and had enough guests who rave about the beef we eat (which is quite different, being retired roping steers up to 7 years old, from our top quality feeder calves which go to market) that we recognize the extra flavor of 'home raised, grass fat beef'. We attribute at least some of that to the maturity of the cattle, and some of them are not the most tender in the world and require proper preparation, but still bring rave reviews. And yes, this points up the need for different steaks for different folks! Our hamburger also hardly has enough fat to lubricate the pan. And when it does carry a little more fat, there is more flavor, and the fat is easily poured away. I've NEVER disputed or questioned the quality of your, RM's, or rkaisers homegrown beef. And more power to you on what you can get paid for it. Chances are, there still will need to be a low cost beef product for lower income US consumers for a long time to come.

Why do you say "our industry continues to just recall"? You cited in-house testing for quality, and I believe that is getting bigger, and will continue to do so as those companies advertise to the effect that they are doing more testing for quality. I feel the BSE testing, until the tests are better, is not going to be beneficial because the science indicates the SRM removal is adequate protection. Yes, I realize some CLAIM it is not, but it just doesn't make sense to abandon the science which at this point seems valid.

I too, value differing OPINIONS. Just do not appreciate being shouted down and called names by those whose opinions DIFFER from mine.

mrj

MRJ, "Sandhusker, no one has told me the tests were not reliable. NO ONE has answered with facts about what tests are available, their accuracy rate, and level of education and training is required to read the tests. More important, no one shows that it is possible, let alone feasible to test every critter going to slaughter for human consumption, and no one has shown that the best available science is wrong when saying SRM removal protects the meat from BSE contamination."

Have you asked the same questions of the USDA, especially since they've already dropped the ball? Creekstone wasn't going to test every critter being slaughtered, only the ones they were slaughtering for the Japanese market - and what is it to you or the USDA if the Japanese were agreeable? The deal is between Creekstone and Japan, and nobody here is hurt by it. Do you want every business to have to submit their business plans to USDA/NCBA for approval? The anti-testing ban NCBA supports runs counter to their claims of supporting free enterprise and adding value and costs all cattlemen money. With "cattlemen's" organizations like that, who needs the AMI?

MRJ, "E coli testing and efforts to control that factor HAS resulted in a decline in illnesses attributed to beef as the source. No doubt you won't believe that because the packers, along with virtually all other players in the industry, have put lots of their own money and time into attempts to eliminate the problem of e coli contamination. They have had some disappointments, but have made some real gains in that effort."

You explain to me why e-coli can't be detected before ground beef leaves the packer.

Sandhusker, again, you fail to grasp the obvious: If beef is BSE tested for export, consumers in the USA will either demand that beef they buy be tested......or assume that there is danger to them from untested beef.

From the USDA standpoint, it seems reasonable they would not want something they are responsible for doing placed under control of and use by a business rather than the USDA.

Consumers decisions stop buying US produced beef will then be due in no small part, to the seeds of distrust and fear sown by people like you and others attempting to damage or end what some of them refer to as the "status quo" beef production system. Are you also calling for control of brucellosis testing by private businesses rather than USDA? Well, at least those tests have a lengthy history and predictability of results, so maybe that would work. Why should be take the risks with something so little known as BSE?

I've asked these questions about BSE testing on this site because this is where the antagonism against those who believe BSE testing as a marketing tool is not in the best interest of anyone producing cattle has been posted.

I've never said that e coli can't be detected before ground beef leaves the packer. Take your own advice and ask USDA.......or your state veterinarian.

While talking to them, you might also ask just what packers and others have already done toward ending e coli problems. It's a good guess you will be very surprised about how much of their own money they have put into it. Especially considering that it is a problem pre-existing in, and brought into their businesses by the cattle they buy.

mrj

If beef is BSE tested for export, consumers in the USA will either demand that beef they buy be tested......or assume that there is danger to them from untested beef.

So? Don't you think it OK for a company to go "above and beyond" the safety rules? Isn't that what "Organic" is implying?

I doubt they would want tested if they trusted what the USDA/FDA was telling them. :roll:

Open the markets and let the customer have what they want, if they are willing to pay for it!

MRJ, "Sandhusker, again, you fail to grasp the obvious: If beef is BSE tested for export, consumers in the USA will either demand that beef they buy be tested......or assume that there is danger to them from untested beef."

If US consumers will demand what we export, why aren't they demanding 20 month and under? Or are they just assuming there is danger to anything over 20 months?

MRJ, "I've never said that e coli can't be detected before ground beef leaves the packer. Take your own advice and ask USDA.......or your state veterinarian."

You're the one bragging on all they've done. I'm simply pointing out a glaring issue of what they're NOT doing - which is stopping contaminated beef from leaving the packer when there is no reason why it can't be done. That's shameful.

Sandhusker, you obviously do not have a clue about e coli!

It is a fact that industry, from cattle producer to retailers, and definitely including packers, have put large amounts of money into controlling the e coli problem.

Do you know that E. coli 0157:H7. (the strain of e coli which causes the severe illnesses in SOME people it attacks) originates in nature? Or that there are MANY carriers, including cattle, racoons and other small mammals and birds, and HUMANS who may not have serious symptoms, but who can still spread the germs???

There have been MANY protocols studied in efforts to control the bacteria, some of which later turned out not to be effective in actual practice.

Some methods of washing down and sanitizing processing facilities ended up actually spreading the bacteria because it spread into heating and cooling systems as the cleaning process was in progress.

There was a de-hairing process (sort of like Nair some women use) which caused angst among PETA extremists, and environmentalists, which showed some promise. I do not know if it is used at all, or not, today.

I do not have a list of successful practices and protocols, but I do know that between the years 2000 and 2006 there was an 80% drop in samples testing positive for E. coli 0157H7! (Source: SD BIC)

Further, MOST people who have been involved in attempts to stop e coli problems recognize that as a truly amazing accomplishment in a very short period of time.

Re. your point on consumers not demanding cattle under 20 months....They probably accept, as do I, the current science which says SRM removal and other protocols leaves the beef legally reaching the food chain, safe from BSE.

I believe it STILL is forbidden by the unions and other employee representatives for the employees working in packing plants to be tested to see if THEY are carriers of E. coli 0157:H7. Why don't you do something about that, as that is an area NCBA was not able to suceed.

Out of curiousity, how much money do you believe should be thrown at (or even spent wisely as possible!) the problems causing foodborne illnesses?

Realizing some say "whatever it takes".......then consider cancer (on my mind as our sister-in-law lost a years long, valiant battle against it this week).........and the huge, huge amount of money and many years spent with some great gains, but we are far from a cure.

Should everyone in the cattle industry, from 4-H kids to the top paid industrialists sell everything they have, impoverish themselves, and put ALL assets into the fight for totally safe food? Would it work? I seriously doubt it.

The point is, you seem eager to deny that enough is being done, when it is obvious you don't even know what has been and is being done, who has committed how much money and time and expertise to the battle, nor maybe even how/where e coli originates.

Wake up! Send one of 'the girls' in your bank to look up the facts about the battle against e coli for you. Learn something for a change and contribute to the battle against e coli instead of sitting back in your chair and criticizing those who ARE working to eliminate the problem.

mrj

Nice lengthy spheel, MRJ, but you didn't address why beef that is contaminated with ecoli is allowed to leave the packers - with a USDA inspected label attached no less. You want to try that again?

MRJ, "Re. your point on consumers not demanding cattle under 20 months....They probably accept, as do I, the current science which says SRM removal and other protocols leaves the beef legally reaching the food chain, safe from BSE."

If they accept that "current science" of the USDA, why wouldn't they also accept the same "current science" of the USDA that claims BSE testing is unnecessary?

mrj said:
PPRM, I do realize there is a vast difference in a young, healthy animal which has had an accident and one which is totally worn out and/or diseased. I agree that the latter has no business going to slaughter, certainly not for human food. There are educational programs aimed at those who send that type of cattle out, too. But real enforcement will probably be necessary to stop it entirely.

We have sold enough cattle for beef, and had enough guests who rave about the beef we eat (which is quite different, being retired roping steers up to 7 years old, from our top quality feeder calves which go to market) that we recognize the extra flavor of 'home raised, grass fat beef'. We attribute at least some of that to the maturity of the cattle, and some of them are not the most tender in the world and require proper preparation, but still bring rave reviews. And yes, this points up the need for different steaks for different folks! Our hamburger also hardly has enough fat to lubricate the pan. And when it does carry a little more fat, there is more flavor, and the fat is easily poured away. I've NEVER disputed or questioned the quality of your, RM's, or rkaisers homegrown beef. And more power to you on what you can get paid for it. Chances are, there still will need to be a low cost beef product for lower income US consumers for a long time to come.

Why do you say "our industry continues to just recall"? You cited in-house testing for quality, and I believe that is getting bigger, and will continue to do so as those companies advertise to the effect that they are doing more testing for quality. I feel the BSE testing, until the tests are better, is not going to be beneficial because the science indicates the SRM removal is adequate protection. Yes, I realize some CLAIM it is not, but it just doesn't make sense to abandon the science which at this point seems valid.

I too, value differing OPINIONS. Just do not appreciate being shouted down and called names by those whose opinions DIFFER from mine.

mrj

My word, I barely have enough time to answer one persons posts, I can't imagine what you go through to answer as you do, LOL....

So glad we agree on the description of what I call a downer. Too many people don't care as they believe the money will go in thier own pocket and the meat on someone elses plate.....I believe it will take some people getting fined to really stop it....Just based on what I have seen.....

I never felt you were critical of the product I sell....I point it out as by doing something alternative, I see a lot of things and hear a lot of feedback.....

Actually, I just sold my first grass fed calf today! I differentiate myself by selling lean corn fed.....A lot of people have had bad experiences with grass fed. Just enough players that don't understand it to ruin the reputation in these parts...If you raise grass fat, PLEASE don't slaughter during hay fed or dry grass part of the production cycle, LOL....

If someone wants grass fed, I tend to send them to a couple of reputable people I know. This lady was insistant on buying from me, and I just happened to have a hiefer that had not bred and has been on lush clover pasture.......And, re costs.....other than pasture rent (Irrigated), I'd say mine tend to be pretty low.....I have yet t find a feeder I can send them to to get them fed cheaper than I do.....I agree, watch the costs, but don't let costs get in the wayt of collecting premium....Did you see where my low fat natural Hamburger was less than Walmarts Low Fat Natural ($3.50 vs $3.68)?

I may differ than some. I want to see a lot of other venues succeed. If they get a bad eating experience from Walmart, they may be reluctant to step up and try mine...I talk to soooo Many people that have simply stopped eating Beef because they say they like other choices better. Usually, they change thier mind if they try mine...

So, I tend to support the checkoff and Beef Council......Sometimes I wonder if folks realize all this argueing is within the backdrop of $90.00 Fats, LOL.....I have seen a marked difference in attitudes towards beef in the last 30 years....And I am only 42, LOL...

Now to the meat of the real disagreements we tend to have....Why do I say "our industry continues to just recall"? I have not closely read the news lately, but I have people come up to me and say, "More Burger was recalled for e-coli"...The inference was it was a huge recall...I can appreciate the difficulty of this given we are dressing out animals...I am also glad you have information that shows packers are trying to do more....I am not a packer hater, I still get some good checks from them....

But my nature tends to be more results orientated.....maybe that is the difference with me on this issue.....

Our other disagreement tends towards Creekstone....We can go rounds, but I feel my Capalistic values just tend toward solutions that the market can pay for to address what customers ask for...For me it is that simple....

And yes, I can easily disagree without going to name calling...Likely, we could sit down, disagree and then enjoy some apple pie and coffee.....LOL, please tell me you like apple pie or you will get my feathers in a dander, LOL,

PPRM

PPRM, apple pie,depending upon who makes it, or how they make it is OK, but a really well made peach or blueberry will be my choice any day. UNLESS there is a fresh strawberry pie made by either my sister-in-law or especially if it's made by her mother! That will top them all. Danish cooks are the best!

mrj

Sandhusker said:
Nice lengthy spheel, MRJ, but you didn't address why beef that is contaminated with ecoli is allowed to leave the packers - with a USDA inspected label attached no less. You want to try that again?

MRJ, "Re. your point on consumers not demanding cattle under 20 months....They probably accept, as do I, the current science which says SRM removal and other protocols leaves the beef legally reaching the food chain, safe from BSE."

If they accept that "current science" of the USDA, why wouldn't they also accept the same "current science" of the USDA that claims BSE testing is unnecessary?

MRJ? If you need help getting out of the tree you're in, your old pal Scotty can give you some hints - he has plenty of experience. :lol: :lol:

mrj said:
PPRM, apple pie,depending upon who makes it, or how they make it is OK, but a really well made peach or blueberry will be my choice any day. UNLESS there is a fresh strawberry pie made by either my sister-in-law or especially if it's made by her mother! That will top them all. Danish cooks are the best!

mrj

Hmmmmm...My Pie eating is way too limited.....Out west here we are nearing the end of fresh Blackberry Pie Season!

Maybe that is what the politics of our nation and industry need more of....Disagree but be civil enough to have pie afterwards......We need more Danish cooks at these functions, LOL,

PPRM

Good points, PPRM.

Sandhusker, unlike you, I do admit to occasionally being either mistaken, or scanning through a post too quickly, thereby missing an item.

You seem to insist on missing the point, or deliberately ignoring the fact, that if one company tests their USA produced beef destined for export for BSE for the competitive advantage it gives them, other companies will have to follow. Even more important IMO, consumers in the USA will begin to believe propaganda from SOME GROUPS that USA produced might not be safe from BSE.

BTW, Sandhusker, do you really believe ANYONE benefits when e coli contaminated beef gets into the food chain? Do you REALLY believe packers do not try to keep the meat clean and free of ALL contamination? Do you also believe that ONLY large packing plants ever have an e coli outbreak or fail to control contamination?

IMO, most businesses try hard to place good managers who will work very hard to control ALL contamination of the beef. Why would they do otherwise? They know how the media treats foodborne illnesses traceable to any source with assets. I do not know why it happens, but will attempt to learn. How about you? Do you ever try to learn anything from any source other than R-CALF/OCM/LMA and friends?

mrj

mrj

mrj said:
Good points, PPRM.

Sandhusker, unlike you, I do admit to occasionally being either mistaken, or scanning through a post too quickly, thereby missing an item.

You seem to insist on missing the point, or deliberately ignoring the fact, that if one company tests their USA produced beef destined for export for BSE for the competitive advantage it gives them, other companies will have to follow. Even more important IMO, consumers in the USA will begin to believe propaganda from SOME GROUPS that USA produced might not be safe from BSE.

mrj

First of all, that is NOT a fact, MRJ. The fact is that there are real-life examples to draw on that make NCBA's assumption highly unlikely. Consider hormone free. That is allowed, but has everybody had to follow suit? What about CAB and their competitive advantage? Others have NOT had to do what they did, why is BSE any different? NCBA is simply making excuses on a policy that costs US producers - the people they claim to represent - millions of dollars. Great representation. :roll:

Secondly, when did it become the government's perogitive to not allow a company to meet a particular niche "lest everybody have to do it"? I don't think that even somebody as liberal as Ted Kennedy would come up with something like that. Would you support the government stopping auto makers from installing side air bags because if they allowed one company to do it, everybody would have to?

I do know why contaminated product is allowed to leave the packers - it's about money. It's costs the packers a little money to hold the burger while the test results come in and the USDA has decided that is more important than doing their job of keeping our food safe.

According to the post page there were fifty seven replies to my cynical tyrad against our govt. and its agencies, There are only twelve here. What happened to the others? I posted that thing because I wanted to see iwhat you all had to say about the inadequecies or functionalities of our sacred govt and its agencies. Am I to assume that the other 45 of you used such bad language that you were censored?

You must have computer Gremlins- mines got 5 pages of posts...Didn't read them all again-but way more than 5....

Latest posts