• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A little different than the R-Calf "Convention"?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hanta Yo said:
HAY MAKER said:
Yes,it was a little differnt,than the R CALF convention,R_CALF is a straight forward take care of buisness org. they dont have the money to hire the sam elliots to sweet talk the ladies...............good luck
PS just curious who paid sam to give the ladies a thrill ?

He spoke to NCBA membership, not to the ladies. EVERYONE gave him standing ovation. I do get tired of hearing untrue accusations. I DO think he does the greatest job promoting beef with his VOICE!

RIGHT :D :D :D
good luck

Hanta Yo said:
HAY MAKER said:
Yes,it was a little differnt,than the R CALF convention,R_CALF is a straight forward take care of buisness org. they dont have the money to hire the sam elliots to sweet talk the ladies...............good luck
PS just curious who paid sam to give the ladies a thrill ?

He spoke to NCBA membership, not to the ladies. EVERYONE gave him standing ovation. I do get tired of hearing untrue accusations. I DO think he does the greatest job promoting beef with his VOICE!

Hanta Yo--Was he paid to attend by checkoff dollars :???:

IM just teasing you Hanta,I think Elliot does a good job of promoting beef too. But I cant help but wonder who paid him to attend your NCBA cattle womans Assc. meeting ?...................good luck

Faster horses said:
I have a question. Why doesn't R-Calf hire someone to speak for beef, nationally. so as to create more demand? Come to think of it, I never see anything they do that creates a positive image for beef to the consumers. WHY IS THAT?

Could be they get NO checkoff dollars--Because of the rules NCBA put in they cannot even contract with the Checkoff...Remember much of what is done under the name NCBA is done with Checkoff dollars- a situation that Montie Reese told me is quite upsetting to him and some Beef Board people- but they still have been unable to stop it......

FH- Wouldn't it be positive to the consumers if they could tell where their beef comes from? So they know they are not eating something that drank out of a Mexican cesspool :???:

It is sad and insulting to me that a group like NCBA could oppose supporting USA Raised Beef......

Oldtimer said:
Faster horses said:
I have a question. Why doesn't R-Calf hire someone to speak for beef, nationally. so as to create more demand? Come to think of it, I never see anything they do that creates a positive image for beef to the consumers. WHY IS THAT?

Could be they get NO checkoff dollars--Because of the rules NCBA put in they cannot even contract with the Checkoff...Remember much of what is done under the name NCBA is done with Checkoff dollars- a situation that Montie Reese told me is quite upsetting to him and some Beef Board people- but they still have been unable to stop it......

FH- Wouldn't it be positive to the consumers if they could tell where their beef comes from? So they know they are not eating something that drank out of a Mexican cesspool :???:

It is sad and insulting to me that a group like NCBA could oppose supporting USA Raised Beef......
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Faster horses said:

You said THAT right, FH!! :D

Hanta Yo said:
Faster horses said:

Why waste money preaching to the choir? :mad: I mean hiring a speaker for the convention.

rancher said:
Hanta Yo said:
Faster horses said:

Why waste money preaching to the choir? :mad: I mean hiring a speaker for the convention.
Especially when hardly anyone shows up to be amongst the R-Calf movers and shakers at their convention. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oldtimer said:
Faster horses said:

What US producers in their right mind wouod trusdt R-Calf to promote BEEF when they raise CATTLE not beef. If the ad they took out in the Washington Post is an example of how they promote beef you may as well hire PETA to run the ad campaign. :lol: :lol:

Bill said:
rancher said:
Hanta Yo said:

Especially when hardly anyone shows up to be amongst the R-Calf movers and shakers at their convention. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You weren't there, you don't know anybody who was there, and you were even asking for information on what went on....but you have qualified yourself to comment on the convention repeatedly? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Geeeeeeeze.

Sandhusker said:
Bill said:
rancher said:

You weren't there, you don't know anybody who was there, and you were even asking for information on what went on....but you have qualified yourself to comment on the convention repeatedly? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Geeeeeeeze.
Yep OCM was there. He had to set you straight on R-Calf MID policy remember. :lol: :lol: :lol: R-Calf is becoming viewed more and more for what they actually represent and the damage they are doing to the image of beef in the US.

Good thing NCBA rolled into town to sweep up after the R-Calf convention and leave the city of Denver with an upbeat and positive attitude towards the beef industry.

OT, I want to visit with you about something. You remember Montana passed a COOL law, right? What happened to that law?

I visited with some meat market mangers and supermarket mangers. Do you know what that law was going to cause? There is no way to separate the meat in Montana, so, as a consequence they were going to have to put a sign up by the meat that said, "Origin Unknown."

I don't know about you, but I didn't think much of that. How many people ask where their beef comes from? Not many. They really don't want to think about it that much. Buy it, take it home, cook it for the family, wash the dishes, watch tv and go to bed. Just about as much thought is put into the rest of the routine as where their beef comes from.

The supermarket and meat market managers had a lot of concern about advertising "Origin Unknown." That is kicking a dead dog; and no good comes of it. With every action, there is a REaction...

Thanks for reading, and no disrespect intended.

Faster horses said:
OT, I want to visit with you about something. You remember Montana passed a COOL law, right? What happened to that law?

I visited with some meat market mangers and supermarket mangers. Do you know what that law was going to cause? There is no way to separate the meat in Montana, so, as a consequence they were going to have to put a sign up by the meat that said, "Origin Unknown."

I don't know about you, but I didn't think much of that. How many people ask where their beef comes from? Not many. They really don't want to think about it that much. Buy it, take it home, cook it for the family, wash the dishes, watch tv and go to bed. Just about as much thought is put into the rest of the routine as where their beef comes from.

The supermarket and meat market managers had a lot of concern about advertising "Origin Unknown." That is kicking a dead dog; and no good comes of it. With every action, there is a REaction...

Thanks for reading, and no disrespect intended.

FH- Apparently you missed the earlier posts I put up---Some anti US beef people have been spreading the wrong info about the law...This law ALLOWS a way for Montana beef to be identified- but does not require it to be from Montana...It gives the Montana Plants still operating a way to identify a Montana Product...But US beef from anywhere in the US can be placarded US Beef---What it does do is take away the fraud of removing the Canadian or Mexican or wherever label from imported meat, and relabel to pass off as US product.....I know some meat suppliers are already sourcing meat to meet the law.....

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:42 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hanta Yo wrote:
"I'm very proud of our legislature for proactively passing the country-of-origin labeling," Schweitzer said. "Congress has passed it for the last five, six years, then they refuse to enforce it."

I was there to give testimony to this bill last Feb., however, Montana does NOT have large kill plants, nor feed lots, much of MT cattle go OUT OF STATE for feeding, also processing, if they come back in the state they will be addressed as "Country of Origin - UNKNOWN (need to read the wording on THAT bill!) Is that supposed to help us?? Besides, Schweitzer commissioned the author of the bill to write it, and it was, by God, to pass EXACTLY is it was written!!!
---------------------------------

Hanta Yo- I think someone has been feeding false info to you again ( maybe the packer backers at NCBA)...

The Montana M-COOL law does not require beef to be of Montana Origin- Section 3 (1) "allows" a way for beef and other products to be labeled as to "Product of Montana" BUT section 3 (2) requires placard labeling of beef to "country" of origin if the the product is already labeled or if origin can be determined...If no origin determination can be affirmed- Or in the case of mixed country origin it will be placarded Origin unknown...

In other words the retailer can not take beef out of a package marked "Product of Canada" and not mark it such--Since he knows origin it must be so marked...Beef from cattle that come from Nebraska, SD, or Texas can still be placarded "product of US" if the retailer has documentation of origin...

The main thing with this law is that Canadian beef, Mexican beef, wherever from can no longer be removed from a labeled box or have labels cut from the carcass and be relabeled as a Product of the US....It ends that FRAUD.....

The last time I was in Helena I had a chance to sit and have a couple toddies with Mike McGrath who I've known and worked with for some time...I brought up the question because I feared Fed intervention-- He said he saw no problem in implementing and/or enforcing the law- that it actually closed a loophole in the misbranding/altering of brands and labels law (which you should be familiar with if you are a brand inspector) and that it left him as Attorney General and the Department of Labor and Industry the needed leeway for interpretation and implementation....I can't remember for sure- but I think Mike was Lewis and Clark County Attorney back when, as I mentioned the other day on here, that at the bequest of some NCBA members ( that totally supported M-COOL back then) several of the county attornies had ruled that the removal of country ID and relabeling with the USDA stamp/and passing it off as a US product was a violation of that Misbranding law...But could not be enforced because of the federal backing....

He also felt that it would hold up now to USDA or federal court review because of the precedence set in other states (I think he mentioned Florida as a primary example) and the fact that it gave retailers an alternative to mark it " origin unknown"...

And Hanta Yo- You have to remember that one one of the co-sponsors of this bill is probably going to be the next Montana US Senator ( unless Conrad steps aside soon)........

It is also my understanding that retailers are already looking at "sourcing" beef to meet the laws implementation.....

Too bad NCBA and some of their naysayers have to fight something that gives consumers more info about their products and could eventually lead to new outlets for locally raised product...One of the things the last legislature did in response to some of this was ease restrictions on "on ranch premise" slaughters....I think the next one could work even harder to develop slaughter plants with the recent revival of several large instate feedlots..They should be working toward this rather than doing the Tyson/Cargil dance........

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:27 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who are not familiar with Montanas COOL law- here is a copy from the M.C.A.

30-12-701. (Temporary--effective October 1, 2006) Short title. This part may be cited as the "Country of Origin Placarding Act". (Void on occurrence of contingency--sec. 8, Ch. 279, L. 2005--see part compiler's comment.)

History: En. Sec. 1, Ch. 279, L. 2005.

30-12-702. (Effective October 1, 2006) Definitions. As used in this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Department" means the department of labor and industry provided for in Title 2, chapter 15, part 17.
(2) "Label" has the meaning provided in 50-31-103.
(3) "Labeling" has the meaning provided in 50-31-103.
(4) "Package" has the meaning provided in 50-31-103.
(5) "Person" means an individual, partnership, corporation, company, society, or association.
(6) "Placard" has the meaning provided in 50-31-103. (Subsections (1), (3), (5), and (6) void on occurrence of contingency--sec. 8, Ch. 279, L. 2005--see part compiler's comment.)

30-12-703. Labeling permitted. All producers, growers, and shippers of beef, pork, poultry, or lamb in this state are permitted to label each individual portion, piece, or package of beef, pork, poultry, or lamb in a conspicuous place as legibly, indelibly, and permanently as the nature of the commodity will permit, in a manner that indicates to an ultimate purchaser that the product was produced in Montana.

30-12-704. (Temporary--effective October 1, 2006) When placarding required -- removal of label prohibited -- exception. (1) Muscle cuts and ground beef, pork, poultry, or lamb, including any package that contains any blending of foreign and domestic product, that is produced in any country other than the United States and offered for retail sale in Montana must be labeled with a placard in a manner that indicates to an ultimate purchaser the country of origin.
(2) If one of the products enumerated in subsection (1) is unlabeled and the retail vendor is unable to determine its country of origin, the product must be labeled with a placard as "country of origin unknown".
(3) All retail vendors engaged in the business of selling products that are labeled or identified as to country of origin are prohibited from willfully or knowingly removing the labels or identifying marks.
(4) A placard is not required for prepared foods for immediate sale or ready to eat. (Void on occurrence of contingency--sec. 8, Ch. 279, L. 2005--see part compiler's comment.)

30-12-705. (Temporary--effective October 1, 2006) Penalties. (1) A person engaged in the business of retail vending of muscle cuts and ground beef, pork, poultry, or lamb who knowingly or purposely offers those products for sale without ensuring that the products are clearly labeled as to the country of origin, as provided in 30-12-704, is subject to the following penalties:
(a) for a first offense, a vendor shall be fined an amount not to exceed $100;
(b) for a second offense, a vendor shall be fined an amount not to exceed $250; and
(c) for a third or subsequent offense, a vendor shall be fined an amount not to exceed $500.
(2) A person engaged in the business of retail vending of beef, pork, poultry, or lamb who knowingly removes any labels or identifying marks from beef, pork, poultry, or lamb that is labeled as to the country of origin is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined an amount not to exceed $500 or be imprisoned in the county jail for a term not to exceed 6 months, or both.
(3) As used in this section, "knowingly" and "purposely" have the meanings provided in 45-2-101. (Void on occurrence of contingency--sec. 8, Ch. 279, L. 2005--see part compiler's comment.)

30-12-706. (Temporary--effective October 1, 2006) Department authorized to adopt rules. (1) The department may develop, adopt, and administer rules for the efficient enforcement of this part. The rules adopted by the department may include but are not limited to:
(a) statements that delineate the difference between imported and unimported raw agricultural commodities for the purpose of this part;
(b) the preferred labeling or placarding method for each commodity type identified in this part; and
(c) other rules that the department considers necessary to enforce this part.
(2) The rules adopted to implement this part may not unduly restrict a person from conducting business. (Void on occurrence of contingency--sec. 8, Ch. 279, L. 2005--see part compiler's comment.)

Oldtimer said:

No disrespect intended, Oldtimer, but would a "Mexican cesspool" be much different than some of the stagnant mossy water in stock dams, located in hard grass country, that cattle have to drink to survive? Some of that "water" would be like trying to drink peanut butter, only it doesn't flow as well or taste nearly as good. Some of the alligator infested swamp water in our southernmost states might not be much better than a Mexican cesspool, either. Just because a label says "USA Raised Beef" doesn't guarantee quality, only that it is beef from a hodge-podge of fifty different breeds of cattle, raised in a mighty big country under a wide variety of conditions.

It isn't that the NCBA "opposes" supporting "USA Raised Beef," it's just that they see the folly and unrecoverable expense of promoting such a broad spectrum unguaranteeable product.

Soapweed said:
Oldtimer said:

No disrespect intended, Oldtimer, but would a "Mexican cesspool" be much different than some of the stagnant mossy water in stock dams, located in hard grass country, that cattle have to drink to survive? Some of that "water" would be like trying to drink peanut butter, only it doesn't flow as well or taste nearly as good. Some of the alligator infested swamp water in our southernmost states might not be much better than a Mexican cesspool, either. Just because a label says "USA Raised Beef" doesn't guarantee quality, only that it is beef from a hodge-podge of fifty different breeds of cattle, raised in a mighty big country under a wide variety of conditions.

It isn't that the NCBA "opposes" supporting "USA Raised Beef," it's just that they see the folly and unrecoverable expense of promoting such a broad spectrum unguaranteeable product.

Have you read the chemical and pollution violations coming out against Mexico in the last few years...You may want to eat something that comes from there- but not me...

Soapweed said:
Oldtimer said:

Good post Soapweed!!

Oldtimer said:
Soapweed said:
Oldtimer said:

Have you read the chemical and pollution violations coming out against Mexico in the last few years...You may want to eat something that comes from there- but not me...

OT I bet your a good dancer cause you sure can sidestep questions. :lol:

Oldtimer said:

Oldtimer,

I drive by a ranch whenever I go to town that has calves wintering in a little pasture below the headquarters. They go back and forth across a little black stream caused by having their septic tank daylighted. Many times I have seen these "USA-raised BEEF"calves drinking the black water.

Bull Burger said:
Oldtimer said:

Oldtimer,

I drive by a ranch whenever I go to town that has calves wintering in a little pasture below the headquarters. They go back and forth across a little black stream caused by having their septic tank daylighted. Many times I have seen these "USA-raised BEEF"calves drinking the black water.

And why don't you turn them in, that is against the law last i heard here.

Latest posts