• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Another day.....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Made it to -53c before the thermometer started going back the other way.

6410 starter packed it in for good, had the replacement here since Dec 7 but procrastination stayed too long and didn't change it while the weather was warm. :roll:

So... Debbie and Roy's son went to MM to feed there and bring the 7200 home to feed with. It was in a cold shop with no power and started right up. They fed down there and then brought it home to feed here.

Roy stayed with me for moral support and I started wrenching in -35 with a big blue roof over my head. ( next year a shop... been saying that for 20 years :roll: ) A tiger torch burned most of the day to keep the block somewhat warm while I worked. :)

First exaust has to be disconnected, then side panel comes off (Hood is hanging from the loader.... did I mention the loader is in the way? :x At least it is up fairly high.) and a small heat shield over the started gets removed. Now I can see the two nuts (not bolts :roll: ) that hold the starter on. Wires were easy to disconnect after the plastic shield was broken into bits with a trusty screwdriver. :wink:

Now the nuts, 15mm wrench, 1/16 of a turn until loosened and then spin off with frozen finger. Rap on starter to free it from the rusty hold the bell housing has gripped it with and then extricate 25 lbs of steel through a 4 inch space between heater hoses, frame and engine block.

New one back in the same way. Have one nut on and have dropped the other one about 50 times trying to get it started with one finger and in the double-jointed gynacologist position.

Anyway, a touch of frost in the lungs, two earlobes that are burning a bit, one fingertip with peeling skin will all be forgotten when it warms up.

Hopefully the shop won't be put on the back burner because of some other catastrophy this year. :?

Tommorow's another day! :D

You forgot to tell us how steep the hill was and that it was in a blinding snow storm too :D . It is amazing if it can go wrong or break it is always on the coldest day of the year

Soapweed said:
Did you ever wish you had an office job in Hawaii, and did surfing for an after hours hobby? :???: :wink: :)

No Soap, I wouldn't have missed this life for the world. :wink:

Was thinking of Tahiti a few times today though. :lol:

Cure, had my procrastination not prevailed I may not have had the joyful experience that today brought. :roll:

-50 tonight at 10, my guess is at or below 60 by morning.

My used 2950 mfwd tractor arrived from PA yesterday. One battery was dead and the other was not powerful enough to turn the tractor over fast enough to start. Jumped it and got it unloaded, replaced batteries and discovered starter was dying. Changed the starter out in 30 plus degrees and sun :D :D . Still need to pickup the new muffler and fuel shutoff cable an install those today unfortunately weather will be cold and windy.

See Dave we had a new shop before we had a house priorities man priorities it was 65 above in mine yesterday and about the same this morning. I get to paint today yeah.

I thought I was a procastinator as I knew the battery in the Skid steer was not up to snuff.

But it was in an unheated barn. I put a charger on it, walked thru the cattle then started it up, fed, then drove it up to the shop ( +65 F ) and spent 3 hours as the engine compartment had 3" of frozen mud in it that I had not removed form a neighbors borrowing it.

Got enough out to get the battery out then really attacked the rest ( mostly thawed by then ) cleaned everything up.

The battery that came out was probably the factory original (2005 ) and states 550 CCA - - - I was able to change the mounts and put a group 29 950 CCA back ( I try to keep 3 or 4 group 29 batteries on the shelf at all times ) I have a reconditioning charger and put the 550 CCA battery on it. It will take 3 days for a complete reconditioning and then it might be junk or it might be back to full strength. I love this charger as I had 10 "junk" batteries ( would not take a charge ) when I got the charger and 8 of then went back to work! Best $120.00 I have spent on a charger - - its a Victor by Black & Decker and will take sulfation out of the batteries.

But back to the original thought - - - I should have cleaned the skid steer and changed the battery months ago! No one to blame for that but me!

gcreekrch

I guess I'm just to soft but when I have breakdowns outside I have a bunch of white tarps ( came from billboard company ) that are very heavy but will let some light thru.

Grab a dozen 2X4s bungie cords and make a tent, put a salamander under it and get warm! Plus by the time the repair is done the equipment is warm and will start better!

I guess that is one reason I have not moved farther north than I am now!

Neighbor had a back hoe that he needed started in the field ( ran it out of fuel and the boom was in a hole, outriggers down - - - could not be pulled ) at about -15F I took 3 4X8 sheets of OSB put one in front one on each side, put tarp over the hood covering the OSB and a 175,000 BTU salamander blowing under, jumper cables on then went to a long lunch.

I bought this service truck from Cincinnitti Bell Telephone and it works great for this. Has a 10 KW generator, 5 hp air compressor, I put in a welder and a torch stays in the tall box behind the passenger door. I put a 50 Gal diesel fuel tank behind the drivers door. It has a fresh air blower ( for working in man holes ) with a 30' long 10" dia hose that will put out normal air or you can flip another switch and the air coming out will be +90F. When in the field it has all the tools I need, can haul the long 2X4s on the ladder racks couple of tarps and you can set up a warm shop in the field in under 20 minutes then work in comfort.

When we got back from lunch the engine temp was about +150F batteries were charged, changed fuel filters, little starting fluid and back to life!

servicetruck.jpg

George said:
gcreekrch

I guess I'm just to soft but when I have breakdowns outside I have a bunch of white tarps ( came from billboard company ) that are very heavy but will let some light thru.

Grab a dozen 2X4s bungie cords and make a tent, put a salamander under it and get warm! Plus by the time the repair is done the equipment is warm and will start better!

I guess that is one reason I have not moved farther north than I am now!

Neighbor had a back hoe that he needed started in the field ( ran it out of fuel and the boom was in a hole, outriggers down - - - could not be pulled ) at about -15F I took 3 4X8 sheets of OSB put one in front one on each side, put tarp over the hood covering the OSB and a 175,000 BTU salamander blowing under, jumper cables on then went to a long lunch.

I bought this service truck from Cincinnitti Bell Telephone and it works great for this. Has a 10 KW generator, 5 hp air compressor, I put in a welder and a torch stays in the tall box behind the passenger door. I put a 50 Gal diesel fuel tank behind the drivers door. It has a fresh air blower ( for working in man holes ) with a 30' long 10" dia hose that will put out normal air or you can flip another switch and the air coming out will be +90F. When in the field it has all the tools I need, can haul the long 2X4s on the ladder racks couple of tarps and you can set up a warm shop in the field in under 20 minutes then work in comfort.

When we got back from lunch the engine temp was about +150F batteries were charged, changed fuel filters, little starting fluid and back to life!

servicetruck.jpg

If I ever buy a parachute the shop will never get built! :lol:

Cowboy logic? :?

Only -49C here this morning. School bus didn't run. Checked the water but since I built a windbreak our tire trough has not frozen. About 1/2" of ice on the side away from the tank heater.
Cows are out grazing, calves are bale grazing and the tractor is not even plugged in. With the circulating heater it will likely start with 3-4 hours plugged in but the cowboy driver doesn't want it to. Thank God we don't have elk around or we would have to do some work around here... :lol:

For a really simple deal---propane torch, couple lengths of 4" stove pipe and an elbow.

Aim the elbow at the oil pan--you get everything heated from there on up. With the stovepipe, you got the open flame back a ways and can kinda adjust the torch in and out for best effect---it don't need to be in very far and kinda makes a 'venturii' effect. Pieces of plywood or tarp, if needed, to break the wind.

-13F here at noon with a windchill of-33F. Just come in from the shop, a nice 45F out there. Was going to feed with the pickup this morning but a propane tankheater bottle had run empty during the night so I fed with the tractor instead so I could use it to move the full bottle in place. Sure was nice having the tractor inside this morning. No worries about getting it started.

If you get things too warm you can't use your tongue to hold onto all the spare nuts and bolts...

Had a torch under the tractor yesterday and today. It took a good 2 1/2 hours to get the block warm enough that my fingers didn't stick to anything while I was "fixthin". :D

Back together now.

So Gcreek how do you get things started when it's that cold. do you use a torch or a generator to plug in for awhile or what . living off the grid must present it's own challenges only to be amplified in the extreme cold

hayguy said:
So Gcreek how do you get things started when it's that cold. do you use a torch or a generator to plug in for awhile or what . living off the grid must present it's own challenges only to be amplified in the extreme cold

At home we leave the generator on overnight when the temps are -30 and going down. Truck and tractor plugged in overnight and shut generator down during the day. The 6410 usually won't start at temps below 40 without a torch.

At Morrison Meadow there is a shop with a wood heater if really cold. The 7400 and 7200 both start easy when cold. There is no power at the MM but inside with no fire it is normally 10 degrees warmer if the sun has been on the building for 2 or 3 hours.

When money is short you must be long on time. :wink:

gcreekrch said:
hayguy said:

At home we leave the generator on overnight when the temps are -30 and going down. Truck and tractor plugged in overnight and shut generator down during the day. The 6410 usually won't start at temps below 40 without a torch.

At Morrison Meadow there is a shop with a wood heater if really cold. The 7400 and 7200 both start easy when cold. There is no power at the MM but inside with no fire it is normally 10 degrees warmer if the sun has been on the building for 2 or 3 hours.

Do you use any batteries and an inverter for the house or water pressure needs?

burnt said:
gcreekrch said:
hayguy said:

Do you use any batteries and an inverter for the house or water pressure needs?

Yes, we have had 6.5 kw system in for 2 1/2 years. It won't handle much that requires heat for very long though.

Latest posts