• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anybody know why,

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin said:
There's no longer anyone buying feeders. :lol: :(

Your almost right-- the buyer I was with today says the market is on the way to the dumps-- and already affecting stockers and breds dramatically- down $200-300 from last month....He claimed huge apprehension of the total US economy (apparently nobody believes GW's "everything is hunky-dory anymore)- grain/corn prices- and the fact many are switching from pasture- hay- to corn/grain on the projected prices and the fact of the new Energy bill guarantees those prices won't drop for next several years....

Glad I hung on to that farm land- wish I had many more acres.... :shock: :roll: :wink:

I've got enough seed corn to plant 220 acres for silage.I'm not giving away my calves come fall.I'm not smart enough to sell corn,I have got to feed it to something.

Here the best bred cows were $850 last weekend average cows $600 1150# bred heifers $910.

Denny said:
I've got enough seed corn to plant 220 acres for silage.I'm not giving away my calves come fall.I'm not smart enough to sell corn,I have got to feed it to something.

Here the best bred cows were $850 last weekend average cows $600 1150# bred heifers $910.

Top young cows that were $1300+ last month- sold for $1100-- heifers that were $1200+ sold for under $1000...Some nice looking ST cows that were $600+-- now selling $400-500... Usually the January sale is higher than the October or December sales- and some folks make money just feeding them a couple months over the winter....Not true now...

And the guys (buyers) I talked to said there is no optomism for next month...

Ahhhhhhhh but look, OT, someone got a buy. Those cows will work at that price. Someones misfortune is anothers good fortune. That's the way it is and the way it always has been.

I remember when we bought some cows out of Big Timber for $270/head. That was in 1978 and those cows worked for us. We were young and needed them badly and at what we could afford to pay.

And I bet someone needed them now too.

Faster horses said:
Ahhhhhhhh but look, OT, someone got a buy. Those cows will work at that price. Someones misfortune is anothers good fortune. That's the way it is and the way it always has been.

I remember when we bought some cows out of Big Timber for $270/head. That was in 1978 and those cows worked for us. We were young and needed them badly and at what we could afford to pay.

And I bet someone needed them now too.

I never knew GW idolizers thought we should be so benefactory to the young and needy :shock: :roll: Must be the new Bushenomics that has everyone using that spin now to justify for the money we ain't making- and that is disappearing into blue sky :wink: :lol: :(

Well you need to vote for Hilary or barock then all the problems will be solved :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: Shawn

Denny - seems like 220 ac of corn at $5/bu adds up to more than whatever the silage would be worth...why chop it? Sell the calves off the cow and contract or hedge the corn - I don't claim to be a great marketing mind, but others who are say that is the way to go.

SHAWN said:
Well you need to vote for Hilary or barock then all the problems will be solved :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: Shawn

Don't see much promise there either :roll: :( :( Altho, I think a guy better get used to one of those two as President- as folks are just totally fed up with what we've had...Even when you mention Hillary's name- many say "can't be any worse than we got now"...!!!!

Oldtimer said:
SHAWN said:

Don't see much promise there either :roll: :( :( Altho, I think a guy better get used to one of those two as President- as folks are just totally fed up with what we've had...Even when you mention Hillary's name- many say "can't be any worse than we got now"...!!!!

Don't fool yourself, it could be.

This is from yesterday's sale at Sheridan Livestock Auction in Rushville, Nebraska (January 16, 2008)

BRED HEIFERS & COWS:

BLK 1ST CALF HEIFERS
$1300.00

BLK 1ST CALF HEIFERS
$1225.00

BLK 1ST CALF HEIFERS
$1160.00

BLK 1ST CALF HEIFERS
$1235.00

BLK 1ST CALF HEIFERS
$1175.00

BLK 1ST CALF HEIFERS
$1185.00

BLK 1ST CALF HEIFERS
$1235.00

BLK 3'S & 4'S
$1300.00

BLK SOLIDS
$925.00-$1100.00

SHORT TERM COWS
$550.00-$650.00

The buyer I was with today- said that he's been getting calls from the Hutterite colony- wondering if he'll give anything for- or haul away their holstein calves from the milk cows- or they will have to knock them in the head-- as they can't see it penciling out for the price of feed to raise them....

Its like it was about 12 yrs ago when corn was high-holstein bull calves aren't worth a bullet.

Talked to local market operator last night. Last Sat cow sale had standing room only crowd and prices were good topping at $i375 for coming 3's. Yesterday the calf sale was higher also he said. We both agreed we don't know where the optimism is coming from.

Heard several market "analyists" say if gov't doesn't turn some CRP loose, grain prices could 'really go wild."

sdsu rancher said:
Denny - seems like 220 ac of corn at $5/bu adds up to more than whatever the silage would be worth...why chop it? Sell the calves off the cow and contract or hedge the corn - I don't claim to be a great marketing mind, but others who are say that is the way to go.

I would have to get a combine and a dryer and a bin and wagon's.I've got a full line of chopping equipment.

I would'nt know where or how to contract the corn and what is a hedge?

My Federal Land Bank agent made a good point to me the other day, he said...remember what happened the last time grain prices got high like this...in the 1970s!!!!!! :shock:

Hey Soapweed, we agree again!!! :D It will be a lot worse with any Dem as President. Only 28 cents of each tax dollar gets to its intended purpose...the Dems will grow the wrong side of that equation!!!! :shock: :eek: :mad:

I think cattle , adjusted for inflation, are as cheap or cheaper now than they were in the 70's or 90's. I wasn't in the livestock business in the 70's but inputs sure are a lot higher. I realize full well that cattle could get cheaper but I'm not all that convinced that they will.

We both agreed we don't know where the optimism is coming from.

It is most likely coming from all the people who bought cattle last January and then saw the market rebound and made a pile of money. The old "it worked last year" mentality. Even though there is all the doom and gloom on the near side the week started with 1.025 fat cattle for Dec.

RobertMac said:
My Federal Land Bank agent made a good point to me the other day, he said...remember what happened the last time grain prices got high like this...in the 1970s!!!!!! :shock:

Hey Soapweed, we agree again!!! :D It will be a lot worse with any Dem as President. Only 28 cents of each tax dollar gets to its intended purpose...the Dems will grow the wrong side of that equation!!!! :shock: :eek: :mad:

I will be voting Rebublican, but it is not looking very good for my man Fred. Romney is a good business man, maybe thats what we need for the economy. fat cattle futures look solid, Denny why not feed your best steers out on that corn? I do not have a combine either, but I have a neighbor who charges me 20.00 an acre to combine and truck my grain. I cannot buy any iron for that and custom work is 100% deductable. Shawn

Shawn, don't worry about Fred...look at the primaries we've had so far, no conservative states! Rush just said Thompson is coming on strong....maybe a Thompson/Romney ticket!!!!! :D

Latest posts