• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anybody know why,

Help Support Ranchers.net:

SHAWN said:
RobertMac said:
My Federal Land Bank agent made a good point to me the other day, he said...remember what happened the last time grain prices got high like this...in the 1970s!!!!!! :shock:

Hey Soapweed, we agree again!!! :D It will be a lot worse with any Dem as President. Only 28 cents of each tax dollar gets to its intended purpose...the Dems will grow the wrong side of that equation!!!! :shock: :eek: :mad:

I will be voting Rebublican, but it is not looking very good for my man Fred. Romney is a good business man, maybe thats what we need for the economy. fat cattle futures look solid, Denny why not feed your best steers out on that corn? I do not have a combine either, but I have a neighbor who charges me 20.00 an acre to combine and truck my grain. I cannot buy any iron for that and custom work is 100% deductable. Shawn

I intend to either feed the lower end calves or all of them if prices are low on feeder's if prices stay pretty decent I will feed it to the cow's.I will silage as much as I can but if there are decent corn yields I may hire some one to combine the fenced in field's and graze the stalk's.Between Bull's and replacement heifers I know there will be a 100 head to feed for sure anyhow.I've got all kind's of idea's for next fall but the first thing I need is ample feed. Once I've got that covered I will weigh my option's.Without feed you have no options.

Oldtimer said:
Faster horses said:
Ahhhhhhhh but look, OT, someone got a buy. Those cows will work at that price. Someones misfortune is anothers good fortune. That's the way it is and the way it always has been.

I remember when we bought some cows out of Big Timber for $270/head. That was in 1978 and those cows worked for us. We were young and needed them badly and at what we could afford to pay.

And I bet someone needed them now too.

I never knew GW idolizers thought we should be so benefactory to the young and needy :shock: :roll: Must be the new Bushenomics that has everyone using that spin now to justify for the money we ain't making- and that is disappearing into blue sky :wink: :lol: :(

Maybe all those people who say that people like Turner and the Mormon church cause them heaartache in the cattle/ag business will jump in and buy cattle now!

Here's their chance to get "in" on agriculture and get their start!!

Can't say they didn't have an opportunity now!

Oldtimer: I gather you are not a fan of Bush but blaming him for the high corn prices is like blaming FDR for the national debt. There are about four primary factors that have had a major effect on grain prices.

1. Exchange rate is making grain quite affordable to foreigners

2. Ethanol ( I know Bush is a big supporter)

3. Poor weather around the world has lowered grain stocks.

4. Governments farm policy that has kept grain prices artificially low for a long time. This has increased feed useage and now is causing more pain.

I don't think all of this can be blamed on Bush. Remember anytime their is a policy change it will have an effect and sometimes the results cause more pain than gain.

Oh and one more thing. Anyone who thinks things cant get worse is only fooling himself. I heard that oddsmakers in Vegas have Hillary at even money to be our next President. If that doesn't strike fear in your heart then remember the late 70's with Carter.

RobertMac said:
Only 28 cents of each tax dollar gets to its intended purpose...the Dems will grow the wrong side of that equation!!!! :shock: :eek: :mad:

That is the reason I'm for Fred. HE believes if federalism. We need to drastically reduce the size of the Federal govt.

BTW, where did you get that figure, R Mac?

RobertMac said:
Shawn, don't worry about Fred...look at the primaries we've had so far, no conservative states! Rush just said Thompson is coming on strong....maybe a Thompson/Romney ticket!!!!! :D

That would be my first choice, I got my NRA lit in the mail HOLY SH-- if a dem gets in we as gun owners are in for some painfull changes. In the area where we are the economy is not as bad as folks are talking about. As far as high grain prices I raise a little of that as well as have a handfull of cows. I will fence in the corn stuble and graze it sell 5.00 corn and 12.00 soybeans. life is good :D :D Shawn

http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/16/commentary/birger_clinton.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2008011617
Here is how hillery will help us. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Juan said:
http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/16/commentary/birger_clinton.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2008011617
Here is how hillery will help us. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm definitely not going to defend anything Hillary said-- BUT if you watched the Congressional hearings on this housing and mortgage scandals and the subsequent economic problems, you would know that all the economics/banking/bankruptcy court/ experts and educators - even those brought in by the Republican/conservative Congressmen recommended a freeze on mortgage interest rates and foreclosures....
Some differed on how to do it (voluntary by the banking industry or legislated) - the time period, from a month to month depending on how the economy recovers -to others that said it may easily take a 5 to 7 year freeze....

While GW is reluctant to admit a recession is even possible-- some of the foreign economists are now saying from their experience with recessions around the world- they see this one as being Deep and Long- some saying as much as 5-7 years....And that it will deeply impact every person in the US before its over- as while now its only beginning to hit the big financial and corporate interests-- but that this will domino effect down to hit mainstreet USA hard before its turned around....

i'm amazed by those who think the government is essentially a giant mammory gland.

I was in Kansas (at a 40k head feedyard) 2 weeks ago and saw some $.85 calves so instead of blaming GW for going dry, I asked what closeouts were going to run and where they were projected to hit the board. Cost of gain is exceeding value of fed beef.

All us cowmen have looked pretty smart with $1.50 corn for most of the last quarter century, but the idiotic cornman can't sustain those numbers. We better get used to paying for corn because outragously low corn prices have forced cornman to find alternative markets.

OT "While GW is reluctant to admit a recession is even possible--"

That is a damn lie, GW is vigorously attending to a slowing/receeding economy. This is in stark contrast to the Klinton/Gore response to the recession they left Bush, but wouldn't address because of politics. Bush accurately identified a recession to liberal/moronic protests, "you're talking down the economy."

OT " some of the foreign economists are now saying from their experience with recessions around the world- they see this one as being Deep and Long- some saying as much as 5-7 years....And that it will deeply impact every person in the US before its over-":

This corretion is more than 10 years overdue and its delinquiency will no doubt worsen the impact. The US stockmarket has likely ended a 75 year bull run. Only stupid or dishonest (Democrats) people will even try to put these historical events in GW's lap

OT, "as while now its only beginning to hit the big financial and corporate interests-- but that this will domino effect down to hit mainstreet USA hard before its turned around...."

Sooo did you acidentally endorse "trickle down economics"? Woops!

Brad S said:
OT "While GW is reluctant to admit a recession is even possible--"

That is a damn lie, GW is vigorously attending to a slowing/receeding economy. This is in stark contrast to the Klinton/Gore response to the recession they left Bush, but wouldn't address because of politics. Bush accurately identified a recession to liberal/moronic protests, "you're talking down the economy."

Well-- your in a minority group that thinks GW acted quick enough...The 100 point drop out of the Stock Market while he was speaking came because he still was spin talking and not telling folks straight up where things set....Or do you believe the majority of economists are wrong-- and your Idol is right :???:

OT " some of the foreign economists are now saying from their experience with recessions around the world- they see this one as being Deep and Long- some saying as much as 5-7 years....And that it will deeply impact every person in the US before its over-":

I've watched this coming for many years-- and many on here called me a "pessimist" and a "GW basher"-but uncontrolled spending with no income while running up a $9 Trillion debt can't continue forever-try it at home and see how long it lasts :roll: :???: ....On top of that the Administration (and all the way back thru Clinton) has given out false inflation/employment information which just created a false illusion of things being better than they were....But now its came to be because of that and the fact GW refused to do any regulation over any industry or anything that would affect his elitist buddies-even allowing tax breaks/no bid contracts for industries that moved overseas-- and what it turned into was a rich mans license to steal....I'm sure his elitist buddies who invested in the Iraqui and oil fields of the world will suffer little if oil has to drop to $75 barrel to sell it- but the middle and lower income folks who have had years of stagnated wages while losing the nations hirer paying jobs to overseas workers- are now losing their houses because of unethical/unheard of banking principles and practices - and are now staring at double digit inflation - combined with a dollar whose value is continually shrinking will....

This corretion is more than 10 years overdue and its delinquiency will no doubt worsen the impact. The US stockmarket has likely ended a 75 year bull run. Only stupid or dishonest (Democrats) people will even try to put these historical events in GW's lap

I'm a believer that when you are the Watch Commander-- Everything that happens on your watch is your responsibility...And for the last 7 years GW Bush has been the Watch Commander!!!!I know many on this site only like to agree to that principle when the Democrats are in control- but since I don't bow to either party- I'll put it where I think it belongs...

And with a correct economic policy a correction can be made quite painless- instead of what now could be a 10 year suffering period- or as some economists are warning if GW doesn't move- a US economy Armageddon (breakdown)...While it appears that will be headed off if GW and Congress act- and act right- some economists have compared our economy right now to those of post war Germany and some South American countries where inflation ran at 40-50%....We will probably avoid that since we have an "open" economy and will be pumped up by the Arabs and other countries of the world buying up and owning more of the country :( :mad: ...But even with that- some are predicting a return to 15-20% inflation- and an economy that the economists are now calling stagflation-- stagnated wages (if you have a job) - high inflation- and continued deflation value of the dollar....

OT, "as while now its only beginning to hit the big financial and corporate interests-- but that this will domino effect down to hit mainstreet USA hard before its turned around...."

Sooo did you acidentally endorse "trickle down economics"? Woops!

I always did endorse the trickle down economics, to an extent-- as long as the guarantees are kept in place for the trickle down to occur- but when you stop enforcing all those regulations for the Top of the mountain folks-- the creek dries up.....Reagan who was the father of the trickle down theory- but also a great supporter and backer of small business- which hasn't been done at all in this Administration as GW promoted-"bigger, better, faster" in his efforts to have the global economy put in the hands of only a few Corporate conglomerates- and the little guy be damned.... :( :(

Oldtimer, I believe you could take a thread about a rib roast and turn it into a way to bash "GW." :lol:

Texan said:
Oldtimer, I believe you could take a thread about a rib roast and turn it into a way to bash "GW." :lol:

If GW was the "Head Chef"- the way he is with this country- and it was way overdone or like this economy burned to a crisp, I'd say that would be his responsibility-- wouldn't you :???:

Oldtimer said:
Texan said:

If GW was the "Head Chef"- the way he is with this country- and it was way overdone, I'd say that would be his responsibility-- wouldn't you :???:
Apparently, you've already spent a lot of time thinking up a scenario where you could even blame "GW" for things like messing up the cooking. That comes as no surprise. :lol:

Texan said:
Oldtimer said:
Texan said:

If GW was the "Head Chef"- the way he is with this country- and it was way overdone, I'd say that would be his responsibility-- wouldn't you :???:
Apparently, you've already spent a lot of time thinking up a scenario where you could even blame "GW" for things like messing up the cooking. That comes as no surprise. :lol:

No-- I've served in an elected office before- where you reallize that whatever occurs in that office- good or bad- is your responsiblity...Your reaction/handling to events/happenings and management sets the direction the entire office takes- the same as GW's has set the direction of this country....

Oldtimer said:
No-- I've served in an elected office before- where you reallize that whatever occurs in that office- good or bad- is your responsiblity...Your reaction/handling to events/happenings and management sets the direction the entire office takes- the same as GW's has set the direction of this country....
Well...I've never been a politician. :lol: But I understand how it works - "the buck stops...."

The fact remains - everything (good or bad) isn't the President's fault.

You do know the difference in OT and a puppy dog.......................

Eventually the puppy quits whining

passin thru said:
You do know the difference in OT and a puppy dog.......................

Eventually the puppy quits whining

Brilliant- must have taken some deep thinking :roll: --And your argument to what I said is :???: Go back down to political bull and make your little snippets to Kola- cause you never contribute anything intellectual down there either- just call names....

Geeze you are sure in a sour mood.

I did not call anyone names, try some other way to discredit me.
Look back and you will find that you are the one with a habit of calling me names. It is sad that you can not take a joke.

I quit trying to debate much of anything long ago................when you always have to bring GW in the conversation whether it is about him or not. Remember I am not the only one saying this about you. I did debate the judge issue with you on pol but you pouted off and didn't respond when I said that a judge should be ashamed to have your attitude.

Grow up

passin thru said:
Geeze you are sure in a sour mood.

I did not call anyone names, try some other way to discredit me.
Look back and you will find that you are the one with a habit of calling me names. It is sad that you can not take a joke.

I quit trying to debate much of anything long ago................when you always have to bring GW in the conversation whether it is about him or not. Remember I am not the only one saying this about you. I did debate the judge issue with you on pol but you pouted off and didn't respond when I said that a judge should be ashamed to have your attitude.

Grow up

Sounds like self advice....

I could have answered your post and called you things too and say nasty things about your occupation or wife and kids or whatever- except you live in anonimity- too scared to even put where your from...And I won't get into name calling contests just to give you thrills...

Latest posts