• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Are you ready for Brokeback Mountain?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin said:
reader (the Second) said:
Maybe I'm still exhausted and jet lagged but it appears to me that you two are missing the point that if until the 20th century homosexuals had children than homosexuality would NOT be "weeded out."
If it was a dominant gene R2 we would see a larger segment of the population preforming this sinful act. If it is recessive you would have to have a lesbian and a ....(what can you call a male homosexual )...anyway it would still take one of each to pass the gene along. I am of the opinion (no supprise) that the Bible is correct and it is a act of progressive sin. Theirs , or if molestation turned them that way , someones. That is the reason you see it more prevalent in American culture than you did 50 years ago. We are more sinful as a nation. I am not trying to make him part of my scary mindset but i'm with soapweed. It just aint right.

It wouldn't necessarily be one gene though, RR. It could be a combination of genes - one that leads to low testosterone, one that leads to certain neurological abnormalities, etc. When combined with external stimuli, such as molestation during childhood, rejection by women, etc., these biological tendencies might be activated, causing someone to find it easy to make the choice to become gay.

I agree it is a choice, but you have to ask yourself: does a normal person make that choice? I don't think so. There's no damn way I'd wake up one morning and decide to have sex with men, and I don't think that's how it works. There's a deeper pathology to it, in my opinion.

It could be cultural too. As R2 pointed out, in the Spartan society in Greece, homosexuality was pretty much expected. Men had sex with younger warriors as a way to cement a bond, but that never stopped any of them from having wives and kids. This is disturbing because the way our society is currently glamorizing homosexuality, it could lead to more recruitment of impressionable youth.

mp.freelance said:
Red Robin said:
reader (the Second) said:
Maybe I'm still exhausted and jet lagged but it appears to me that you two are missing the point that if until the 20th century homosexuals had children than homosexuality would NOT be "weeded out."
If it was a dominant gene R2 we would see a larger segment of the population preforming this sinful act. If it is recessive you would have to have a lesbian and a ....(what can you call a male homosexual )...anyway it would still take one of each to pass the gene along. I am of the opinion (no supprise) that the Bible is correct and it is a act of progressive sin. Theirs , or if molestation turned them that way , someones. That is the reason you see it more prevalent in American culture than you did 50 years ago. We are more sinful as a nation. I am not trying to make him part of my scary mindset but i'm with soapweed. It just aint right.

It wouldn't necessarily be one gene though, RR. It could be a combination of genes - one that leads to low testosterone, one that leads to certain neurological abnormalities, etc. When combined with external stimuli, such as molestation during childhood, rejection by women, etc., these biological tendencies might be activated, causing someone to find it easy to make the choice to become gay.

I agree it is a choice, but you have to ask yourself: does a normal person make that choice? I don't think so. There's no damn way I'd wake up one morning and decide to have sex with men, and I don't think that's how it works. There's a deeper pathology to it, in my opinion.

It could be cultural too. As R2 pointed out, in the Spartan society in Greece, homosexuality was pretty much expected. Men had sex with younger warriors as a way to cement a bond, but that never stopped any of them from having wives and kids. This is disturbing because the way our society is currently glamorizing homosexuality, it could lead to more recruitment of impressionable youth.
"normal" people don't molest kids, rape women, murder people, steal, etc...but some choose to. Surely you don't think they are all slaves to their genetics MP.

I never said they were slaves to their genetics, did I? That said, I'm sure that people who rape women and molest children are also deeply screwed up. I'm not trying to make excuses for anybody, RR. In fact, I'd make people more responsible for their actions under the law. Nonetheless, I still think it's better to objectively analyze peoples actions and behaviors than to make simplistic judgments. If we truly understand what makes someone a rapist or child molester, it doesn't mean we shouldn't punish the guilty - hell, I'd put them to death. It does makes sense to learn about them, though, to prevent future rapists and molesters.

HiredMansWife,
I'm not sure if your response to my quote was supposed to be a rebutal to what I wrote, but I looked up the verses you referred to and then some, lol

I think this is the verse you were thinking of...

Matthew 5:18
18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (so all prophecy will be fulfilled;my note)

In response to your comment "Jesus also said he came not to change the Law, but to fulfill it."
Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Thank goodness for that and for this,

Galatians 3:23-25 Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under supervision of the law.

To summarize that, the law was given to "lead us to Christ" by convincing us of the impossibility of gaining God's acceptance on our own. As a little side-note, before there even was "the law", Abraham recieved God's promises because he had true faith in him. It wasn't until later that all of the laws were put into effect.

So now I suppose everyone thinks I'm a bible-thumper....Don't be deceived, I'm as much a sinner in need of a savior as the next person, just didn't want what I said initially to be misconstrued in any way.

What is more abhorrant two consenting adult males in a relationship or a movie showing a woman being brutally raped-if were going to bring religion into movie censorship lets not be hypocritical-murder is a sin too-last I looked. If you don't want to watch it-don't go watch it.

And if we want to get all Biblical, Christ was really outspoken on his thoughts on divorce.
Fifty percent of US marriages end in divorce, compared to a fairly minute number of homosexuals.

it would seem we should outlaw things like no-fault divorces before getting too shook up about homosexuals...

BarMJ said:
Matthew 5:18
18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (so all prophecy will be fulfilled;my note)

And all prophesy has not been fulfilled, otherwise we wouldn't all still be here. Ie, the Law is not null and void...

The Galatians passage is not about ignoring the law but not letting the law be the only rule of your actions.

If we no longer had to obey the OT laws, why is everyone still hung up on the Ten Commandments?

I'm not trying to argue here.... I just looked up the verses you referred to, and added another one that I thought applied.

I apologize if my previous post caused you to feel offended or in need of defending yourself somehow.

oh, ok. I thought it was a hypothetical question. I guess I don't know for certain why everyone is "hung up" on the Ten Commandments. But I would say it's because they are a good guideline for living whoever you are. As far as all the fuss about them being removed from government offices, courts, etc..., I guess it concerns me because it seems like we are trying to have freedom from religion, rather than a freedom of religion in this country.

Romans 13:8-10 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. The commandments, "Do not commit adultry," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fullfilment of the law.

Latest posts