• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Back to the Beer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleRMe

Reaction score
Oglala Sioux Leaders Seek to Block Beer from Reservation
Tuesday, June 27, 2006

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — In a desperate effort to fight the ravages of alcoholism on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, leaders of the Oglala Sioux tribe are threatening to set up roadblocks Wednesday and stop members from bringing in beer bought at four outlying stores.

Alcohol has long been banned on the 16,500-member reservation, where drinking has been a scourge for generations. But four stores in Whiteclay, Neb., a dusty village a few hundred feet outside the reservation, sell an estimated 4 million of cans of beer every year, mostly to Indians.

Tribal members said that from now on, they will confiscate beer bought in Whiteclay.

"We are the last line of defense when it comes to protecting our people," said Duane Martin of the reservation's Strong Heart Civil Rights Movement.

Alcoholism is frighteningly high on the reservation, though how high is unclear. The effects can be seen in nearly every family, in accidents, violence, sexual abuse and suicide, said Terryl Blue-White Eyes, director of the alcohol and drug program for the reservation.

The youth suicide rate on the reservation is the highest in the nation, and most of the suicides involve alcohol, she said. Shannon County, where most Pine Ridge residents live, is home to less than 2 percent of South Dakota's population but had 19 percent of the fatalities caused by drunken driving in 2005 — 14 of the 74 deaths statewide, according to the South Dakota Department of Public Safety.

Beer cans litter reservation roads and the streets of Whiteclay, a village of roughly a dozen people. People loiter outside the stores. Some try to trade tools, electronics and other items for beer.

The stores have been a source of tension for years, and tribal members have tried to stop alcohol sales in Whiteclay through the courts, the county and the state licensing board.

Mark Vasina, president of Nebraskans for Peace, a mostly non-Indian activist group that tried to end alcohol sales in the border town, said the blockade is the only option left.

"They said, `Nebraska is not going to do anything. The only recourse is to do something on the reservation.' So the blockade was on in a flash," Vasina said. He added: "It's not for a day, not for a week, not for a month. The intention is to have an ongoing blockade there."

Lance Lintt, who works at the Jumping Eagle Inn, one of the four stores in Whiteclay, said of the blockade: "I just don't know how it's going to work or how they have any legal grounds to confiscate any beer. I just don't think they'll get anyone to stop for them."

The plan is to set up checkpoints just inside the reservation's boundaries. Volunteers in Whiteclay will use radios to tell workers at the checkpoints which vehicles should be stopped and searched for beer. Other vehicles will not have to pull over.

Tribal police will not enforce the blockade but will be present to maintain order, said Alex White Plume, vice president of the tribal council.

Russell Means, an Indian actor who was part of the American Indian Movement of the 1970s, plans to help with the blockade.

Kathey Wilson, a tribal member who has worked in community health on Pine Ridge, said alcohol abuse will still be a problem until there are more jobs, enough housing and better treatment programs.

"They have good intentions, but they don't understand the whole picture," she said.

I just wonder if they block it from going into the reservation then what is Gordon, Rushville, and Chadron going to be like? Gordon in my opinion already sees the effects of alcoholic people on the streets and in the parks.

I don't know what the answer is but with any alcoholics no matter the race if they want the alcohole they will go wherever to get it. To me this might just be putting more drunken drivers on the road traveling farther distances.

A large scoped problem...........but one thing of note, prohibition didn't work before...so why do they think it will now.

CRM, good posts you posted

Alcohol abuse is a symptom, not the problem. Untill the social problems are addressed the symptom cannot be redressed.
Where our tribal people in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, maintained their tribal identity and customs,there was very little alcohol abuse, the problem existed amongst those who found themselves in between western and tribal identities and often lost all sense of belonging to either.

I wonder where the demonstrations would be if the bars had large "NO NDNS" signs over their doors? Yes, right outside those bars. I don't know what the indians want except to blame whitey.

I want the rez to quit harbouring fugitives before we talk about cooperative law enforcement.

Brad S said:
I want the rez to quit harbouring fugitives before we talk about cooperative law enforcement.

Brad I totally agree with you on this. It does not make sense to me that a native member of the tribe can commit a crime say in Gordon and run to the res and be safe.

Brad S said:
I wonder where the demonstrations would be if the bars had large "NO NDNS" signs over their doors? Yes, right outside those bars. I don't know what the indians want except to blame whitey.

Have you seen the on the news how they want the Nebraska schools with mascots as Indians and Warriors to change? For years these schools have had the mascots and now the state wants them to change.

A total of twelve people showed up for the "blockade," according to the Rapid City Journal. If they don't get it there, they will just get it somewhere else.

That is pretty standard all over the place... I know Illinois has had a few schools be forced to change their names/mascots for certain reasons.. I can't remember if the town of Pekin changed their nickname or not.. The Pekin Chinks...

Beer blockade goes bust
By Jomay Steen, Journal Staff; and Carson Walker, The Associated Press
WHITECLAY, Neb. — It was nearly a typical day in Whiteclay, Neb., as a planned beer blockade fizzled.

Instead, blockade organizers and Oglala Sioux Tribe officials agreed to try to find a way to stop the flow of beer onto Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, which has banned alcohol for many years.

At 4 p.m. Wednesday, Sheridan County Sheriff Terry Robbins stood with eight of his deputies in Whiteclay. The extra manpower had been brought into the small town because officials had believed a large demonstration was taking place. About a dozen people arrived midday for the rally and blockade.

"We figured there would be large crowds because of news articles in the papers, but it was almost a normal day in Whiteclay," Robbins said.

After arguing on a dusty road that serves as the Nebraska-South Dakota boundary, organizers of a proposed blockade and Oglala Sioux Tribe acting police chief James Twiss agreed to try to find ways to stop the flow of beer from Whiteclay to the reservation border north of town.

The agreement halted a planned two-month blockade aimed at preventing tribal members and others from bringing packaged beer bought at four Whiteclay stores onto the reservation. Members of the Oglala Sioux Tribe who planned the blockade and Twiss said they would try to meet — possibly as early as today.

Mark Vasina of Nebraskans for Peace, an activist group that has tried to end alcohol sales in the border town, said the day did not end like he expected it would but that he was pleased with the outcome.

"I think this is a success because we got a commitment from (Twiss) to deal with the problems of illegal alcohol sales," Vasina said.

Robbins said it was almost a normal day, except for the dozens of law enforcement officers from Nebraska Highway Patrol, Sheridan County in Nebraska, Shannon County in South Dakota and the Oglala Sioux Tribe Department of Public Safety, who patrolled the Nebraska-South Dakota boundary beginning about 8 a.m.

"We were making sure that we were here to protect the public and see that no laws were broke," Robbins said.

Although organizers and police went home buoyed by the day's events, two Whiteclay grocers suffered a bad day for business.

VJ's Market and Whiteclay Grocery officials said they took as much as a $5,000 dip in sales when Pine Ridge shoppers opted to avoid the hassle at the proposed march and blockade. Two women stood at cash registers at Whiteclay Grocery, waiting for customers who didn't come.

"This is what happens when there's a blockade: No one comes to buy groceries," a clerk said, looking at the empty aisles.

V.J.'s Market owner, Victor Clarke, agreed.

"And we don't even sell alcohol," Clarke said.

Clarke employs eight people from Pine Ridge to manage and work at his store. He contributes to the Pine Ridge community and is a member of its chamber of commerce, but his business has been hurt by the recent marches as well as the four stores that sell beer and malt beverages.

"It kills our business, but what aggravates me is the intimidation factor that my customers have to go through when they come to my store," he said.

Clarke said that there are probably 500 alcohol outlets within five miles of the entire reservation. No one is looking at those border towns that frame the dry reservation, he said. Shutting down Whiteclay wouldn't stop the flow of alcohol onto the reservation, he said.

"Everyone — regardless of race, religion, color or creed — has a right to make their own choices in regards to their own life and what they do. It's not up to the tribe, the Nebraskans for Peace or the police to make those choices," Clarke said.

At the Nebraska-South Dakota border, Twiss told blockade organizer Duane Martin Sr. of the Strong Heart Civil Rights Movement that his officers could not allow the blockade because of safety concerns if a motorist chose not to stop.

Twiss said it was not clear whether the blockade would violate the constitutional rights of people against illegal searches and seizures. "A person's vehicle is their property," Twiss told Martin.

Allowing the blockade would invite liability issues, Twiss said. "I've just got to make sure that we're covered legally," he said. "If someone decides not to stop, we're going to be responsible."

"Whose side are you guys on?" Martin asked Twiss.

"Don't try to make me be the bad guy," Twiss said.

Martin, who said he took on the blockade issue at the request of his people, kept pleading his case with Twiss, who grew up on the reservation and acknowledged that he drank illegally in Whiteclay as a teenager.

For years, the police department has not done enough to go after bootleggers who buy large quantities of beer in Whiteclay and then distribute it on the reservation, Twiss said. He said his department doesn't have the money or manpower to do more.

He vowed to work with Martin and others to find some way to ease the problem.

The two talked at the state boundary with the Shannon County, S.D., sign only a few feet away.

At least a dozen law enforcement vehicles were parked nearby. Tribal officers lined the gravel road, and just to the south, Nebraska State Patrol and Sheridan County officers stood by on the state highway going into Whiteclay.

A tribal police officer gave cold water and sports drinks to the other officers, who were in the hot sun.

It appeared that fewer than a dozen people showed up to support the blockade had it been carried out. More than a dozen reporters and photographers also were on hand.

Blockade supporters had said they didn't plan to arrest anyone but would confiscate any beer bought in Whiteclay.

The plan was to set up checkpoints inside the reservation. Volunteers in Whiteclay planned to use radios to tell checkpoint workers which vehicles should be stopped and searched for beer.

Robbins said he doubted the blockade's legality, because even if alcohol is banned on the reservation, it is still illegal to take it from somebody else. And anyone in Whiteclay radioing the description of vehicles to people at a blockade would be considered aiding and abetting a theft, Robbins said.

"It's still against the law to take anything from anybody," he said.

Also at the scene was Indian activist and actor Russell Means, who pulled his pickup and trailer out from the road on the state line and stopped it across the road into the reservation, indicating that it had stalled.

After an officer approached Means' pickup, there was some doubt it had mechanical problems.

"I'm not starting anything. I've got trouble here," Means told a reporter. "I think it's overheated."

Within a few minutes, someone brought jumper cables, and Means' pickup started. He then drove away.

Originally Published Online: Wednesday, Jun 07, 2006 - 08:49:57 pm CDT
Send to a Friend

Board of Education will urge discussions of Indian mascots
By KEVIN O'HANLON / The Associated Press

Schools will be urged to discuss the appropriateness of using American Indian mascots and nicknames before the state Board of Education considers whether to take action to possibly ban them.

The board voted 7-0 Wednesday to send a letter to schools — signed by Education Commissioner Doug Christensen and board President Fred Meyer — after discussing other possibilities, including seeking possible legislation or a rule banning such uses.

Indian sports mascots have been an issue in recent years across the nation from the smallest schools to professional sports teams.

Some people say the mascots degrade Indians, while others argue that they honor Indian heritage and are stepped in tradition.

"This is not for the faint of heart, but it's the right thing to do" Christensen said in explaining his opposition to the use of Indian mascots and what options the board has to address the issue.

There are about 30 Nebraska schools that have Indian mascots or names.

Board member Joe Higgins said asking that the issue be discussed on the local level is the best route to begin reform.

"I do believe many of these will be resolved through discussion in the local communities," Higgins said.

The student council at Millard South High School, for example, led the fight to change the school's mascot from Indians to the Patriots, starting in 2001.

The Nebraska School Activities Association said in February that it cannot force schools to remove mascots.

In April, Indian activist Frank LaMere appeared before the Board of Education to express his concerns about the use of Indian mascots and nicknames.

NCAA officials last year announced they would ban the use of Indian nicknames, mascots and images at its championship events.

Five schools — Catawba College (Indians) in North Carolina, Central Michigan (Chippewas), Florida State (Seminoles), Mississippi College (Choctaws) and the University of Utah (Utes) — won appeals after each showed it had the approval of local tribes to use the nickname.

Eight schools, including Illinois (Fighting Illini), still face sanctions. Four of the violators — Arkansas State, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, McMurry University in Texas, and Newberry (S.C.) College — use the nickname Indians. The other schools still on the list are Alcorn State (Braves), North Dakota (Fighting Sioux) and William & Mary (Tribe).

Alberta Indian reserves are the richest in North America.
Reserves control the money and it is dispensed to relatives of the chiefs.
Alcoholism and drug use is worse than you can believe on reserves.
Poverty and conditions that the kids grow up in is terrible.
I have no idea what the solution is? Its so messed up I wouldnt know where to begin.
Im thinking if there were no reserves the Indians would be better off. They cant get any worse off.
The kids have no role models. Its just going to continue :(
I think part of the problem is the Liberal attitude they seem to have that everybody owes them something. There is so much defeatism among Natives. I have no idea what could ever be done :( You have no idea how messed up reserves up here can be.

My opinion of the problem with the natives in this area is that the government has taken care of them for so long they have forgotten or gave up the ability to take care of themselves. In doing so they turned to alcohole and it is a definate problem with the natives. What to do about it.......I'm honestly not sure. However, I feel strongly if they quit the sales of beer in Whiteclay......Chadron, Gordon and Rushville will just gain more in beer sales. The largest problem with that in my opinion is drunks will be on the road farther.

That's right CRME, the drunks will have further to drive. Also if the drunks want to frolic in Gordon and Rushville like they do in Whiteclay, the communities will have to pass some draconian public drunken statutes. I think the Pine Ridge wants to "deal with" the alcohol problem by exporting it south. No booze on the rez means fall down drunk in a town in Nebraska.

the Nebraskans fro Peace mentioned "illegal sales." I haven't heard of illegal sales in Nebraska - perhaps just a lie?

The thing about the mascotts is a mascott is an oject of admiration. you don't see Missippi University of 3 toed sloths, its eagles or vikings or warriors. A college in northern colorado named themselves the "fighting whiteys" not in admiration but ridicule, and if some small school named themselves the Delaware drunken tribe, most of us would be disgusted.

Brad S said:
That's right CRME, the drunks will have further to drive. Also if the drunks want to frolic in Gordon and Rushville like they do in Whiteclay, the communities will have to pass some draconian public drunken statutes. I think the Pine Ridge wants to "deal with" the alcohol problem by exporting it south. No booze on the rez means fall down drunk in a town in Nebraska.

the Nebraskans fro Peace mentioned "illegal sales." I haven't heard of illegal sales in Nebraska - perhaps just a lie?

The thing about the mascotts is a mascott is an oject of admiration. you don't see Missippi University of 3 toed sloths, its eagles or vikings or warriors. A college in northern colorado named themselves the "fighting whiteys" not in admiration but ridicule, and if some small school named themselves the Delaware drunken tribe, most of us would be disgusted.

I agree about the mascotts or names of sport teams. Look at the Dallas Cowboys.

Brad S said:

Brad the Gordon City Park has the problem already of them frolicing. It's not even a nice place at times for children.

We have several all or almost all Indian teams that call themselves The Indians, The Braves, The Warriors, etc...Most have had the names for years, are proud of their heritage, and don't want to change them-- but a couple politically correct people always come along and tell them that they know what is best for them... :roll:

The reserves that seem to be the best off in AB. are the ones that are fairly remote. Example only access is ice roads in the winter.
In BC the remote reserves that still try to live in their traditional way seem to be better off but im just getting the info on BC second hand.
The worst of the worst reserves are the ones close to a town or city. They just seem to get corrupted by city life. Or the reserves way up north where they where taken away from traditional ways. Stuck in government housing with absolutely nothing to do.
Now some do good and make it off the reserves. Example one of those two Mounties that were tragically murdered the other day in Spirit Wood SK was an Indian women who did good for herself and who was a real good role model. Then some ba$tard shot her :(

CattleRme, I was in Gordon Monday with my family, and the kids wanted to eat and play in the park. My wife loaded up at the covered wagon with burgers, corn dogs, fried chicken & even a couple tacos (I have 5 kids) while I played with the kids in the park. Along came 2 older guys with a bottle in a bag they were passing (it was only 11:30 am), but they weren't offensive to my live and let live outlook. But my better half doesn't have my faults or my tolerance for human frailty especially arround her babies, and when she showed up, she insisted they eat a couple hamburgers. Then came some large older woman (I was playing with the kids so I wasn't involved - I'd have given her the money) asking for money to get something to eat. My stingy ol lady tried to get her to eat from our table, but was declined. My wife later said, "I think she wanted cash to buy alcohol." Gee, ya think? Then the woman wanted a ride 12 north 6 east and 1 south from Gordon to a "Sun Dance" and even invited the kids. My wife wouldn't think of attending any such event so my pasty little white kids only got to see the worst of the rez.

My understanding is that the purpose of the Sun Dance was to get help and aid in giving vengeance to their enemys. Or thats what the crows used it for. Example Praying for power to kill the white men.
Brad was that woman Crow?

Latest posts