• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Back to the Beer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Brad S said:
CattleRme, I was in Gordon Monday with my family, and the kids wanted to eat and play in the park. My wife loaded up at the covered wagon with burgers, corn dogs, fried chicken & even a couple tacos (I have 5 kids) while I played with the kids in the park. Along came 2 older guys with a bottle in a bag they were passing (it was only 11:30 am), but they weren't offensive to my live and let live outlook. But my better half doesn't have my faults or my tolerance for human frailty especially arround her babies, and when she showed up, she insisted they eat a couple hamburgers. Then came some large older woman (I was playing with the kids so I wasn't involved - I'd have given her the money) asking for money to get something to eat. My stingy ol lady tried to get her to eat from our table, but was declined. My wife later said, "I think she wanted cash to buy alcohol." Gee, ya think? Then the woman wanted a ride 12 north 6 east and 1 south from Gordon to a "Sun Dance" and even invited the kids. My wife wouldn't think of attending any such event so my pasty little white kids only got to see the worst of the rez.
Brad, that just proves that even the winos in the park know better than to eat something from the Covered Wagon. :D

Never thought of it that way Cal, my wife got a real laugh at your analysis.

Roper, I don't know if she was Crow, but the Pine Ridge is (mostly) Ogalalla Sioux, and I'm ignorant of the tribal lineages of the northern tribes. I know my wife didn't want to be white eyes at the bbq. I would suspect the sun dance may have a similar purpose among the Sioux as it does with the crow. I think the Crow were better fighters.

Brad S said:
Eastern Montana was Blackfoot and Crow right, or were there Sioux also?

The reservation up here is Sioux/Assiniboine...Blackfoot are mostly over at Browning- I think some at Rocky Boy ...Many a pow-wow fight was started just because someone was just a Crow/ or a Crow that looked wrong or said something wrong to a Sioux......Deep rooted tribal dislike....

If I remember right there is a lot of Crow in MT. just west of the Custer Battlefield.
This is south of Billings on the southern border region of MT. Im not looking at a map but if I remember right there is a town called Hardin in the area.

RoperAB said:
If I remember right there is a lot of Crow in MT. just west of the Custer Battlefield.
This is south of Billings on the southern border region of MT. Im not looking at a map but if I remember right there is a town called Hardin in the area.

Yep Hardin is on the edge of the Crow Indian Reservation-- There is also a Northern Cheyenne res down there...The Sioux here on the Fort Peck reservation are tied to the ND and SD tribes.....

I see quite a goodly number of tallish Indians like about 6'4" - 6'6" arround the Pine Ridge, would this height be tracable to any particular tribe? I've been arround many Indians in Ok,Tx, NM, Az and never seen the size. Also I've heard of a tribal high school in central Wy that is pretty dominant - I'm assuming size there also.

Brad the city park in Gordon is horrible. When I go to Gordon I go to the curley slide park it's over on the east side of town. Much nicer and I have yet to see any drunks there yet. There is more playground equipment too.

Gordon has such a problem with the drunks and yet they hang out right beside the police station. I'm not sure why they ignore it.

As for the Covered Wagon come on it's fried and fat filled you people are so picky lol!

Shoshone Indians are at Lander, Wyo. They're a pretty good bunch, as I went to school with them there in 1960. Very good athletes. Perhaps it is Shoshone that you are speaking of.

Riverton, Wyo. has Araphoe.

Shoshone and Araphoe are enemies. Or they sure were then.

cattle R me, My kids like that park over east the best also, but the shade downtown is good for my pasty faced kids.

I have an idea I'm going to pitch to the Gordon Chamber: A free mini golf park. I was thinking that little used park on highway 20 accross from Alco would be a good site. Then solicit businesses to design and maintain their own hole. Like the Coop could have some grain elevator variation and the bowling alley could have the dreaded bowling pins going up and down - the bank would be the last hole that steals your ball :D Aside from the obvious benefit to local kids, Gordon needs to slow down some of the traffic passing through, and if they were to stop and play mini golf, they'd see some of the services like the Italian Inn or the Old Time Cowboy's Museum because the hole they maintained would inform. Some businesses would have to loan clubs and balls, perhaps secured with a drivers liscense. I haven't worked out all the details, lighting would be nice, but expensive. Vandalism is always a possibility. I think Fred Hlava is pretty keen on promotion. I just want to work out some details so I can throw a good pitch. One thing like electric power - you can have cooler exhibits with electricity, but I need to visit an electric course and see how much the little motors pull.

Faster Horses, I think it was the Shoshone. They've won several state hoops titles. I tried to get up a game with some Indian kids (20 year olds) that were shooting arround in Gordon, but they looked at me like I was stupid.

Brad S said:
I have an idea I'm going to pitch to the Gordon Chamber: A free mini golf park. I was thinking that little used park on highway 20 accross from Alco would be a good site. Then solicit businesses to design and maintain their own hole. Like the Coop could have some grain elevator variation and the bowling alley could have the dreaded bowling pins going up and down - the bank would be the last hole that steals your ball :D Aside from the obvious benefit to local kids, Gordon needs to slow down some of the traffic passing through, and if they were to stop and play mini golf, they'd see some of the services like the Italian Inn or the Old Time Cowboy's Museum because the hole they maintained would inform. Some businesses would have to loan clubs and balls, perhaps secured with a drivers liscense. I haven't worked out all the details, lighting would be nice, but expensive. Vandalism is always a possibility. I think Fred Hlava is pretty keen on promotion. I just want to work out some details so I can throw a good pitch. One thing like electric power - you can have cooler exhibits with electricity, but I need to visit an electric course and see how much the little motors pull.

Good idea, Brad, and welcome to the area. Hope you and your family like these ol' Sandhills. Stop by and say hi someday.

Brad I think it's a great idea. Welcome to the community. If you get anything going for the golf pm me I'd be glad to take part in it. Plus I have some other friends in town that support efforts for kids.

Soapweed & Cattle R Me I'm still in Kansas, I have some loose ends to clean up. I still have 100 pairs to swap, and this pesky drought isn't helping merchantability. I'd consider bringing them with me if things get worse.

I need to work out some of the minigolf questions that may arise because the naysayers feast on "I dunno"

I have another scheme: You can get a T1 phone hookup for $200/month in Kansas and a T3 for $600 per month (I'm guessing about the same in Ne). With all the wireless developments from 802.11b clear up to G, wireless networking and internet access is very fast. A T6 would easily push all the traffic in Gordon including the schools and businesses. I'd like to make the whole town hot and bounce it all arround the area. My place is 6 or 7 miles east and would also be servicable. The telco industry is lobying hard to abolish wireless communication to protect their inefficient service. For $600/month and $1000 worth of hardware the whole area is serviced with real high speed access. Great Plains likely sacks the school system that much - depending on service level - its up or down @ $60/ month per account. A simple no brainer, unless you're Great Plains Tele. I'd like to get a business to underwrite the whole deal, but that may not be doable. Funding is tricky. Even though the city could take the hit, private sourcing would be preferable. The radio station could do it. The Hinns would be wise to get in, but I sorta have a bad taste in my mouth about the Hinns using their newspaper to push school consolidation to bail out the debt riddled Rushville school. (I'm not exactly against consolidation, but any discussion proposing added commuter miles must also calculate additional highway deaths - nobody breathed a word about this in the Sherridan County consolidation issue).

Brad S said:
Soapweed & Cattle R Me I'm still in Kansas, I have some loose ends to clean up. I still have 100 pairs to swap, and this pesky drought isn't helping merchantability. I'd consider bringing them with me if things get worse.

(I'm not exactly against consolidation, but any discussion proposing added commuter miles must also calculate additional highway deaths - nobody breathed a word about this in the Sherridan County consolidation issue).

Brad you should try living out in the middle of nowhere and deal with the consolidation issues. Some boards think it is no big deal for a kindergardener to get on the bus at 6 in the morning and get off around 6 at night. They also don't seem to have a problem with mixing grade school kids with high school kids. We all know how high school kids nowdays talk and I think any of us can only imagine what a kindergardener would learn on a bus that long with high school kids.

Plus as you mentioned the risk of accidents and death when taking kids that far.

If it comes to consolidation out here I guess I'm gonna be going miles a day due to being unconfortable with my child on a bus that long and with that much older of kids.

CattleRMe said:
Brad S said:

(I'm not exactly against consolidation, but any discussion proposing added commuter miles must also calculate additional highway deaths - nobody breathed a word about this in the Sherridan County consolidation issue).

Brad you should try living out in the middle of nowhere and deal with the consolidation issues. Some boards think it is no big deal for a kindergardener to get on the bus at 6 in the morning and get off around 6 at night. They also don't seem to have a problem with mixing grade school kids with high school kids. We all know how high school kids nowdays talk and I think any of us can only imagine what a kindergardener would learn on a bus that long with high school kids.

Plus as you mentioned the risk of accidents and death when taking kids that far.

If it comes to consolidation out here I guess I'm gonna be going miles a day due to being unconfortable with my child on a bus that long and with that much older of kids.

Our kid has an hour and a half one way school bus ride. However the bus driver is my friend who only lives about 4 miles from here. I do trust her, she wouldnt put up with anything. Also in our case the older kids<they take turns> actually walk my 4yo from class to the bus. Sit with him the whole way home and keep an eye on him. Its actually two older kids that take turns doing this. Plus I can garantee you nobody will act up on that school bus!
Im glad that im in a rural place where everybody knows one another. Like the kids on that bus live a long ways a part but we know everybody. There are no bad ones.

Cattle R Me, One thing I reserve is the right to home school my kids. In Kansas the administration is real responsive before finance count day - about 9 - 25, but after they get the $10k per kid they're less responsive.

Nickerson Ks high school has a 4 year enrollment of 400 + - students. They decided to defer calc to the local community college in Hutch 10 miles away. One winter day, the commute killed 3 kids that were driving less safely than optimal (imagine that). Arther Co Ne high school offers calc over the net and has suffered no commuter tragedies. BOE decisions made all the difference.

Roper, what you describe really is "the village" at work. Hillary alludes to this sort of spirit to advance a Stallinist village.

About homeschooling................don't you think it socially holds kids back??? Most homeschooled children I have been around are well I guess odd is the word. I'm not at all for homeschooling I think school gives children a taste of the real world. As far off base as the real world is getting might as well be teaching the kids how to handle it and right from wrong when they are small...............just my thoughts.

As far off base as the real world is getting might as well be teaching the kids how to handle it and right from wrong when they are small...............just my thoughts.

So because the world is bad and getting worse, we should throw our children to the wolves? when they are small so they learn to "handle it"?

Brad S said:
Cattle R Me, One thing I reserve is the right to home school my kids. In Kansas the administration is real responsive before finance count day - about 9 - 25, but after they get the $10k per kid they're less responsive.

Nickerson Ks high school has a 4 year enrollment of 400 + - students. They decided to defer calc to the local community college in Hutch 10 miles away. One winter day, the commute killed 3 kids that were driving less safely than optimal (imagine that). Arther Co Ne high school offers calc over the net and has suffered no commuter tragedies. BOE decisions made all the difference.

Roper, what you describe really is "the village" at work. Hillary alludes to this sort of spirit to advance a Stallinist village.

$10K PER KID!!!!!!! WOW!!!!

Our local private school gives the kids a helluva good education for around $3,000.00 per year. K-12 grades with a high percentage going to college.

Latest posts