• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Balers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

floyd said:
Hopefully, I have baled enough for my needs. Sisal here. Hate plastic. Handy for repairs but I still hate it.

I cut the strings because I hate tripping in a loop. I compost the sisal.

I'm a small operation...JD14T

Oh man, that is so cool - a 14T!

We ran one for quite a few years until I got a good deal on a MF with a thrower. Still too much work to suit me so now pretty well all round bales.

Those 14T's were a good baler but didn't like too much power on them or you'd take the dog out of the free-wheeling drum on the drive line. More than one guy found that out the hard way . . .

I still like my 1972 JD510 - - - -I only put up about 200 bales a year now and I can still get 2200# bales from it.

I have tried my son's JD 530 but I'm still to used to watching the bale and can still make better bales from the 510 - - - - I can't get used to the monitor but then I doubt I have made more than 500 bales with it. I only use it if the hay is damper than I like as it does not plug nearly as bad. In good hay with a well trained operator the 510 is hard to beat! I can't get but about 1800# bales form the 530 but it is probably my incompetance!

I like my bales to be as heavy as possible as I feel I get a smaller percentage of spoilage and I am lazty enough to want to move as few as possible. With my own scales at the gravel pit it is easy to keep track of tonnage. You would be surprised at the differance in weight of simalar looking bales.

The only down side of my tight bales is the Vet says my cows loose their teeth sooner than the would if I was to unroll the bales as he feels it is to hard for them to pull the hay from the bale. I trust him but I'm not sure this is a real problem!

I like sisal twine, because it holds good if the bales are hauled into the yards in timely fashion. During the winter, if fed with a Hydra-bed, the twine is just cut and allowed to fall where it may. It rots out and by the next summer is not a problem. If fed with a processor, the sisal just gets ground up with the hay, occasionally needs to be cleaned off of the flails, but is not a problem.

For any hay that we buy, the solar degradable works well. The bale is held intact during shipping, and when feeding we do try to cut it all off. Held up in the air with a Hydra-bed, it is easy to cut and take off unless some of it is frozen. If some of it accidentally doesn't get picked up, the solar degradable is of the color that blends in with the surrounding terrain, and it will self-destruct in a few years. Plastic twine and net wrap are a completely different matter. Either product needs to be picked up or it is obnoxiously unsightly, not to mention potentially a health risk to livestock. Candy wrappers, beer bottles, and plastic pop containers strewn in the road ditches are unsightly for the same reason. :wink:

George said:
The only down side of my tight bales is the Vet says my cows loose their teeth sooner than the would if I was to unroll the bales as he feels it is to hard for them to pull the hay from the bale. I trust him but I'm not sure this is a real problem!
George, I've noticed the same thing that your vet has noticed - more middle-aged cows losing front teeth. The other teeth are in good shape, but they'll have a middle tooth gone, or maybe two loose teeth in the middle. By the next year, one or two of those might be gone. This is on cows that are seven to eight years old - cows that normally wouldn't be broken-mouthed.

This problem started for me after I got my Vermeer broken in good and started turning the pressure up on it, so I attribute it to making the bales tighter trying to get more hay in a smaller package. Pulling hay out of the ends of these tight bales is the only thing I can come up with to explain it. I feed hay in rings and I'm starting to try to turn more of the bales up on the ends when I set them out trying to solve that problem.

last year in the meadow, still on dry farm alfalfa here this year.
IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

sisal twin 4x5 bales meadow 650 to 800 lbs alfal;fa 1000 to 1200 lbs

Texan said:
George said:
George, I've noticed the same thing that your vet has noticed - more middle-aged cows losing front teeth. The other teeth are in good shape, but they'll have a middle tooth gone, or maybe two loose teeth in the middle. By the next year, one or two of those might be gone. This is on cows that are seven to eight years old - cows that normally wouldn't be broken-mouthed.

This problem started for me after I got my Vermeer broken in good and started turning the pressure up on it, so I attribute it to making the bales tighter trying to get more hay in a smaller package. Pulling hay out of the ends of these tight bales is the only thing I can come up with to explain it. I feed hay in rings and I'm starting to try to turn more of the bales up on the ends when I set them out trying to solve that problem.

Hey maybe us guys that use a bale processor aren't the devil's spawn. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Texan said:
George said:

Hey maybe us guys that use a bale processor aren't the devil's spawn. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmmppf :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

I bought a NH 7090 this year. It's been on the market a couple years, figured they got the bugs worked out of it! It worked great this year! EXCEPT......the ejection. It's slow....and I usually had to jerk the tractor forward to help the bale out. It did get better after the paint wore off, but it's not like the 849 and the 853 I had. Those would shoot the bales up the hill. The BR780 I used for 7 seasons. After the 1st year it worked great, just the 1st year was a bear, lots of engineering failures.
Twine:
I use plastic. Sisal and biodegradable doesn't degrade fast enough for me (it usually takes 3-4 years in this country) So I gather all the twine when I feed. My brother feeds with netwrap. He cuts the wrap, unrolls the bales and then picks up the wrap the next day. Most of the time the cows have the wrap all balled up and cleaned off. Works good for him.

I looked at a vermeer baler today and I think I might have to change my mind on round balers. It was a 605 super m and talk about a well built machine. The tires on the back I think where a 21.5 16 the main chain is #80 compared to the #60 chain thats on my JD. The pickup teeth I think are better than any baler that I have looked at so far.

Has anyone ran one of these balers or know of someone that has? I really liked it but its pricey $42,000 which is about the same price as JD and New Holland.

The 605m is the smaller one right? It doesn't have the wide pickup. Is there anything about it that you dislike?

It is just older than the 605SM. It has the big pickup. It will eat up windrows that no other baler will. I bale alot of cornstalks so it is really the only baler built to handle those tough conditions.

How would one of the old 855 NH chain balers work in stalks. When I used to have a custom haying deal that's what I used and it was a pretty trouble free baler. A few years back up here the whole crop froze out and we didn't get hardly any snow at all. People baled frozen canola all winter long-it had just enough snow in it that the bales would heat if you baled very much ahead. Alot of old 855's got resurrected because they were only balers would work very well in those conditions. I had a 1560 Massey Ferguson baler when I started out which was a Vermeer with red paint-it was good enough for it's time not sure what Vermeer model it would match up with.

Frank in West Dakota, remove one of the four springs on the bale ramp. Worked for me. I have had an 850, 2 855, 664, 2 BR 780, and now a BR 7090. Yeah - I have had good luck with New Holland.

cowboykell said:
Frank in West Dakota, remove one of the four springs on the bale ramp. Worked for me. I have had an 850, 2 855, 664, 2 BR 780, and now a BR 7090. Yeah - I have had good luck with New Holland.

Thanks a bunch cowboykell, I'll try that!

I know that prices for new balers high. That 605 superM corn stalk special can be priced all the way up to $49,000 from what I have seen. Need to do alot of acres to pay for it.

There where some guys around here using those chain roller balers on corn stalks last winter. I think they got along good with them.

Latest posts