• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

ban to be lifted

Help Support Ranchers.net:

"Earlier this year, NCBA was instrumental in convincing USDA to limit both live cattle and boxed beef imports from Canada to 30 months of age and younger. Our producer-members adopted this policy based on sound science and in the interest of fair trade."

After the Big Buck Packers get NCBA to flipflop on their OTM border stance I will be interested to see what they claim the sound science is and how it could be different when nothing has changed..... Years of past history has made me kind of a pessimist to NCBA's policy stances :wink:

Oldtimer said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:
Oldtimer- How many cattle do you have that you are so concerned about this matter? I have seen you avoid this question so many times before jsut thought I would ask again?

How many girlfriends you cheating on your wife with, MR?

I heard he only had one. :wink: :cowboy: What about you? :lol:

Oldtimer said:
"Earlier this year, NCBA was instrumental in convincing USDA to limit both live cattle and boxed beef imports from Canada to 30 months of age and younger. Our producer-members adopted this policy based on sound science and in the interest of fair trade."

After the Big Buck Packers get NCBA to flipflop on their OTM border stance I will be interested to see what they claim the sound science is and how it could be different when nothing has changed..... Years of past history has made me kind of a pessimist to NCBA's policy stances :wink:

OT, accuracy would require you to say: "Years of MY REVISION of past history....".

Why do you an others on this site refuse to believe conference calls with state affiliate members gave the leadership the go-ahead on the 11 points directive when much of it had been achieved?

MRJ

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:
Oldtimer- How many cattle do you have that you are so concerned about this matter? I have seen you avoid this question so many times before jsut thought I would ask again?

How many girlfriends you cheating on your wife with, MR?

I heard he only had one. :wink: :cowboy: What about you? :lol:

BMr - Tough question for an r-calfer to answer. They can't COUNT past 1, so they think they're safe! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sandman: "You want to explain that one?"

Sure I will explain it even though you never explain anything and always want others to explain everything that doesn't support your bias. Typical of your parasitic ways!

R-CULT's 4 to 1 is typical of their deception. They don't count our Washington cow BSE case because it originated in Canada. On the other hand, they count one of Canada's cases that originated in another country.

Go ahead and support it Sandman, I woud expect nothing less from a deceptive parasite like you.

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Sandman: "You want to explain that one?"

R-CULT's 4 to 1 is typical of their deception. They don't count our Washington cow BSE case because it originated in Canada. On the other hand, they count one of Canada's cases that originated in another country.

~SH~

If you count the European origin one, that would make it 5 to 1....And both the USDA and CFIA recognize that the Washington cow was likely infected while in Canada....The reason for the Canadian traceback on the herd of origin and the feed.......

Oldtimer- I would think a horse farmer like yourself should go post your R-cult BS on an equine website. Does R-cult represent horses and horse meat?

agman said:
Oldtimer said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:
OT- If I were you I would be embarrassed to belong to R-laugh!! Its your call but I think they are doing more harm to the beef biz than they are doing good. Do you care to make a bet of when the first Canadian OTM animal will cross the medicine line? Could be some Canadian whiskey on the line? Any other takers?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember 2006 is an election year in the US with many important midterm elections- And some of the pro big business- pro world trade advocate Congressmen are riding on shakey ground with the changing nationwide tide of the voters... backlash against the trade deficit, rising inflation, and the profiteering of Big Business, like the oil companies... Then take in to effect that the US Senate already voted against the USDA's previous plan to open to OTM beef or cattle....And I've seen nothing new in the science of BSE since that vote....

Also many more scientific questions concerned with the OTM's-especially the pre feedban ones, that still exist and haven't been answered...Much will depend on what USDA's proposal is as to whether its beef or live cattle- and how they propose to segregate out pre-feedban cattle--but I'm sure it will be challenged...The U.S. feedban safeguards are not strict enough to allow importing live cattle from a country with a higher percentage rate of BSE......Remember the USDA scientists testified to Congress that the U.S. #1 safeguard against BSE was/is the restrictions we have on importing from BSE countries......

This along with more cattle producers daily realizing that R-CALF was right about how much the Canadian cow market influences the US cull prices... Lots of people getting used to selling their culls for $700-800 and don't want to go right back to the pre-BSE days of $300-400...

Not a betting man MR, but I don't think you will see live cattle in 2006.....

How and when has R-Calf explained to producers that a reduction of 2.5 million head in domestic cow slaughter has less impact than 330,000 head of cow imports. I would ask you to explain the dilemma and contradiction but you have proved you don't know the facts and when confronted with the facts you just find another lame excuse. When domestic cow slaughter turns higher, as it will, and cow prices go lower who will you blame then? Will you and your neighbor be at fault for liquidating more cows and causing lower prices?

Agman- I might not have all the numbers, percentages and ratios to juggle around any which way I want to get the preconceived answer I want....But I do know that for years R-CALF said that the Canadian cattle negatively affected US producers cattle prices- especially regarding cull cattle(FACT)- something 5 years ago even NCBA recognized, before they sold out to the packers and retailers on M-COOL ....We get a closed border and we see record high prices (FACT)- especially culls (FACT) Was it caused by the closed border? high beef demand? just good timing? I don't know- maybe it was just pure blind luck on R-CALFs part...But I do know I listened to NCBA's spiel and saw their direction for 20 years thru several beef cycles and never saw prices like this- triple as many bad years as good ones.....So I guess I'll put my money with the "lucky group"- as good a bet as putting it with NCBA's 20 year history of indecision, sellout, and failure to effectively represent the cattle industry.......Their direction has created the biggest split in the cattle industry in history.....

Agman- what do you think of NCBA's current stand?--sounds like its no longer just sound science...Now they have added in fair trade...Could they be taking a hint from R-CALF?

Ot- Has the border opening to younger cattle hurt the price of feeder cattle in the US like R-calf said it would? Where did that wall of feeder cattle go that was going to swamp the US market? I thin kthings are pretty darn good for feeder prices on both sides of the border.

OT, "Earlier this year, NCBA was instrumental in convincing USDA to limit both live cattle and boxed beef imports from Canada to 30 months of age and younger. Our producer-members adopted this policy based on sound science and in the interest of fair trade."

Sounds like a bunch of protectionists. :wink:

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Ot- Has the border opening to younger cattle hurt the price of feeder cattle in the US like R-calf said it would? Where did that wall of feeder cattle go that was going to swamp the US market? I thin kthings are pretty darn good for feeder prices on both sides of the border.

That is true about the prices- they are very good- I've been following several US and Canadian markets- some within 100 miles of each other- and the prices are weaker in Canada- especially on heifers...So is the border truly open?...Historically Canadian prices are usually higher, sometimes much higher than in the US to take in the monetary discount.....This year prices are running even, or lower in Canada (especially on heifers) which means $15 less when figured in US funds.....

I think the USDA regs on importing are part of the reason for our stronger US prices, that $15 difference in price, and the lack of a wall of cattle coming down...Many of the feedlots and feeders do not want to jump thru all the USDA hoops and and reams of paperwork, segregation, and inspections to import cattle- easier and cheaper to pay a little more for domestic.....

Old Timer,

How do you explain R-CULT's court testimony that opening the Canadian border would lead to dramatically lower cattle prices? The border was closed last year and it is opened this year. Feeder cattle prices are higher this year than last year.

Show some integrity for once and your life and admit that R-CULT didn't know what they were talking about AGAIN!

Highest cattle prices on record with:

1. Same packer concentration.
2. Virtually the same number of formula cattle, forward contract cattle, and packer owned cattle.
3. Opened Canadian border.

HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT IN LIGHT OF ALL THE BULLSH*T CONSPIRACY THEORIES COMING OUT OF YOUR CAMP ON WHAT AFFECTS CATTLE MARKETS?

Keep bowing your turbin OT, it's obvious you are bought and paid for.

~SH~

SH- If in your mind its open- thats fine-but like from most of your other theories I can tell your mind has been getting air out of a gopher hole way too long :lol: ...... What about the Border restrictions? cattle can only be imported into approved feedlots- must be kept segregated from US cattle- feedlot and feedlots paperwork must be inspected and open to inspection from the USDA anytime- cattle must be branded with C rafter N hot iron brand- heifers must be 1. isolated for 50 days from any bulls or steers before 2. being preg tested,---On top of that I've been told the initial paperwork for approval is quite complex (hard to believe of the govt. :wink: )........

Do you not think that this has had any effect on the amount of cattle coming south? If these regulations cost more to perform wouldn't it be simpler just to pay more for US cattle as long as the same quality cattle are available?....
Right now this is why I feel that the feeders are paying $100 to $150 per head more for US cattle.....

SH- I hate to break your bubble- but the border is not open as it was prior to May 2003.....

Sandhusker said:
OT, "Earlier this year, NCBA was instrumental in convincing USDA to limit both live cattle and boxed beef imports from Canada to 30 months of age and younger. Our producer-members adopted this policy based on sound science and in the interest of fair trade."

Sounds like a bunch of protectionists. :wink:

I wonder what ol SH-- thinks about his good old boy group using protectionist methods to open the border-- sounds like they been taking lessons from the Japanese :) ....

Or maybe they got tired of losing all their membership to R-CALF and have seen the light!!!.....

Old Timer: "What about the Border restrictions? cattle can only be imported into approved feedlots- must be kept segregated from US cattle- feedlot and feedlots paperwork must be inspected and open to inspection from the USDA anytime- cattle must be branded with C rafter N hot iron brand- heifers must be 1. isolated for 50 days from any bulls or steers before 2. being preg tested,---On top of that I've been told the initial paperwork for approval is quite complex (hard to believe of the govt. )........

Do you not think that this has had any effect on the amount of cattle coming south? If these regulations cost more to perform wouldn't it be simpler just to pay more for US cattle as long as the same quality cattle are available?....
Right now this is why I feel that the feeders are paying $100 to $150 per head more for US cattle..... "

"RED HERRING"!

Tell me what the difference in Canadian live cattle and boxed beef imports is now compared to pre BSE times if you want to have any validity to your argument.

Doesn't matter whether Canadian imports come in the form of live cattle or boxed beef, it all adds to our U.S. beef consumption and plays on the markets.

You simply do not have the integrity to admit that R-CULT overstated the affects of imports of Canadian live cattle.

Keep bowing that R-CULT turbin Sandman! ALAH R-CULT!

~SH~

Big difference between UTM and OTM cattle regarding the degree of concern for BSE.

Apples and Oranges compared to R-CULT's "NO IMPORTS OF ANY KIND" isolationist policies.

~SH~

Oldtimer said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:

That is true about the prices- they are very good- I've been following several US and Canadian markets- some within 100 miles of each other- and the prices are weaker in Canada- especially on heifers...So is the border truly open?...Historically Canadian prices are usually higher, sometimes much higher than in the US to take in the monetary discount.....This year prices are running even, or lower in Canada (especially on heifers) which means $15 less when figured in US funds.....

I think the USDA regs on importing are part of the reason for our stronger US prices, that $15 difference in price, and the lack of a wall of cattle coming down...Many of the feedlots and feeders do not want to jump thru all the USDA hoops and and reams of paperwork, segregation, and inspections to import cattle- easier and cheaper to pay a little more for domestic.....

Oldtimer the PRE BSE average basis was -$7.65 with a range of -5.05 to -11.89

This week in Alberta the basis was -$12 remember high fuel cost and your added paper work. Looks like the US packers are licking up the Canadian cattle Our feedlots are very current. No big backlog of cattle.
4-500 wt strs were at $1.25 to $1.73 with a average of $1.50 .What is Montana's market round up for this week.

Heres Miles for Tuesday

STEER CALF
JERRY OR SHEILA HANSEN , KINSEY 4 BK/BWF-STRCF 340 $178.00 /Cwt
RICHARD WHEATCROFT , SAND SPRINGS 3 BLK-STRCF 360 $175.25 /Cwt
LAVONNE WESTLAND , BROCKWAY 7 RD/BK-STRCF 369 $173.00 /Cwt
TIM CLAUSON , MILES CITY 12 BLK-STRCF 367 $168.50 /Cwt
LARRY A. OR LINDA SCHMITT , CUSTER 2 RED-STRCF 423 $166.00 /Cwt
LAVONNE WESTLAND , BROCKWAY 37 BLK-STRCF 438 $163.75 /Cwt
DARRELL L OR WILLENE HARDING , MILES CI 7 RD/BK-STRCF 402 $162.00 /Cwt
LARRY A. OR LINDA SCHMITT , CUSTER 12 BK/BWF-STRCF 420 $161.25 /Cwt
DICK (JR) KEHLER , ST. XAVIER 12 BLK-STRCF 439 $161.00 /Cwt
JERRY OR SHEILA HANSEN , KINSEY 19 BLK-STRCF 435 $160.00 /Cwt
LOG CABIN RANCH , ISMAY 6 BLK-STRCF 436 $158.75 /Cwt
ALVIN HIRSCH , ANGELA 8 BK/BWF-STRCF 445 $154.50 /Cwt
GREENLEAF LAND & LIVESTOC , FORSYTH 32 RD/BK-STRCF 451 $154.25 /Cwt
RICHARD WHEATCROFT , SAND SPRINGS 9 BLK-STRCF 467 $152.00 /Cwt
IOU RANCH , SAND SPRINGS 60 BK/BWF-STRCF 467 $149.50 /Cwt
CLYDE III BREWER , MELSTONE 8 RD/BK-STRCF 474 $148.00 /Cwt
REX MOATS , WOLF POINT 16 BLK-STRCF 489 $145.00 /Cwt
ALBERT J OR ANITA MURNIN , MILES CITY 16 RD/BK-STRCF 534 $144.25 /Cwt
DARRELL L OR WILLENE HARDING , MILES CI 60 RD/BK-STRCF 523 $137.00 /Cwt
ADA WEEDING , JORDAN 7 BLK-STRCF 554 $135.00 /Cwt
RICHARD WHEATCROFT , SAND SPRINGS 75 BLK-STRCF 558 $133.75 /Cwt
ROBERT HOLEN , WOLF POINT 59 BLK-STRCF 549 $133.35 /Cwt
DUANE MATHISON , MILES CITY 19 RD/BK-STRCF 562 $130.00 /Cwt
JOHN A OR DIANE H JONES , MILES CITY 10 BLK-STRCF 572 $127.50 /Cwt
HOWARD QUINLAN , FORSYTH 21 BK/BWF-STRCF 595 $127.25 /Cwt
DUANE MATHISON , MILES CITY 54 BK/BWF-STRCF 645 $126.85 /Cwt
TIM G AND LISA E LOHOF , BIRNEY 26 BK/BWF-STRCF 623 $126.50 /Cwt
RICHARD WHEATCROFT , SAND SPRINGS 11 BLK-STRCF 630 $126.25 /Cwt
ROBERT HOLEN , WOLF POINT 27 RD/BK-STRCF 633 $125.75 /Cwt
R JAMES OR MONTE FISHER , POPLAR 28 BLK-STRCF 631 $125.50 /Cwt
MARTIN KIMMET , POWELL 4 BLK-STRCF 660 $124.00 /Cwt
DALLAS OR CINDY STEIGER , HYSHAM 22 BLK-STRCF 691 $123.50 /Cwt
DALLAS OR CINDY STEIGER , HYSHAM 8 BLK-STRCF 713 $120.75 /Cwt

Glasgow was about the same on Thursday- maybe a little stronger on some weights....
400-500 weights were $1.35-$1.65 --- was told some light 4 weights went for $1.80, but wasn't there when that happened....600-700 wts went from $1.15 to $1.30....Some 700 weights went for $1.21 ($847)..

Partnership steers went a week ago at 677 lbs @ $1.20 ($814) -a month grazing my hayfields did them great--Mine went this week in two sorts (two pastures) 655 wts at $1.23.50 ($809) and 559 wts at $1.31 ($732)....

I'm sure fuel is a factor--because if you compare calves in S.D. you will see they are bringing quite a bit more than in Montana - but I've been comparing calves in Assiniboia too and they aren't even 100 miles away- so I'm sure the border regs have an effect- especially when you compare heifers...

If these truckers are right on what they're seeing- the feeders have been hesitant on coming into the far fringe areas, because of the fuel cost-but now the supply of available calves is getting short, the feeders have had to go out looking for them to feed up all the feed they have.....Could have a positive impact on what US buyers pay for any calves left at home in Canada too- especially if the Canadian farmers get a tariff put on importing US corn......

Assinaboia today

Good Steers over 900 lbs. Avg. And Sold Up To
Good Steers 800-900 lbs. Avg. And Sold Up To
Good Steers 700-800 lbs. Avg. 1.21 And Sold Up To 1.28
Good Steers 600-700 lbs. Avg. 1.27 And Sold Up To 1.34
Good Steers 500-600 lbs. Avg. 1.34 And Sold Up To 1.49
Good Steers 400-500 lbs. Avg. 1.46 And Sold Up To 1.71
Good Steers 300-400 lbs. Avg. 1.55 And Sold Up To 1.71
Good Heifers over 900 lbs. Avg. And Sold Up To
Good Heifers 800-900 lbs. Avg. And Sold Up To
Good Heifers 700-800 lbs. Avg. And Sold Up To
Good Heifers 600-700 lbs. Avg. 1.14 And Sold Up To 1.24
Good Heifers 500-600 lbs. Avg. 1.22 And Sold Up To 1.29
Good Heifers 400-500 lbs. Avg. 1.30 And Sold Up To 1.45
Good Heifers 300-400 lbs. Avg. 1.33 And Sold Up To 1.45
The SSGA is opposing the tariffs on subsidized US corn.

You know OT you are so full of BS your gosh darn eyes are brown. I dont know where you hear these regulations are so bad. I have talked to quite a few buyers here in Canada and they say you dont know what the heck you are talking about. You have a very biased opinion on what you state on here. If you cant post the truth save your time and dont post anything. :!:

Latest posts