• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Black Herefords

Help Support Ranchers.net:

efb

Reaction score
I've heard and believe that most of the hybird vigor is in the F 1 cross. Do you think that is true ? The next part is what is a black hereford. It looks like a black baldie to me with the added white on the neck. If so, how do you use them in the commercial business ? Would you get the same heterosis effect using one, as just crossing angus and herefords ? What kind of bulls would you put on black hereford cows ? What kind of cows would you use black hereford bulls on ? I'm just kind of curious where they fit .

It amazes me that no matter what breed some have...they always want to turn them black!!!

The "Black Hereford" looks to be just a science project. Someone thought it would be cool to try to breed a "purebred" black one. Well, the good of the black baldy is in the heterosis. So, if you make a Black Hereford, you must have done so by using some weird genetics in the Hereford breed to create that black color, or perhaps dipped into another gene pool to paint the canvas a little. Where's the heterosis? Why is a black baldy a sought after animal? HETEROSIS. So use Angus and Hereford and make an F1 cow or F1 feeder calves. No need to even have a purebred "Black Hereford".
Where do they fit? In somebody's hobby farm. That's my humble opinion, of course. :wink:

HP

Why not just cross a Hereford cow with a Black Angus bull and call it a Black Herfeord if a person has to put herford in the name?

We have a handful of Herefords (ok my Dad does and my youngest does) and when I see them it reminds me of my grandfather. He was a strong Herford man and it took years and years to ever get him convinced to go Angus. My uncles used to tell him a Hereford when calving goes behind the hill and prolapses while an Angus goes behind the hill and has a calf just slick.

Sunburned bags make for long days and hungry calves! ick!

I agree with the general population here - just breed Angus - Hereford and use the K.I.S.S. rule: Keep It Simple Stupid.

CattleArmy - keep in mind that Herefords have come a long way since those days. They may still prolapse on occassion, but I believe breeders have done a great job in bringing the Hereford back to the forefront of the beef business. Some breeders of course, never screwed their genetics up in the first place, and thank goodness for it.

It's all Galloways and Galloway-cross commercial cows for now, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings any to have some red&white around here.

PureCountry said:
I agree with the general population here - just breed Angus - Hereford and use the K.I.S.S. rule: Keep It Simple Stupid.

CattleArmy - keep in mind that Herefords have come a long way since those days. They may still prolapse on occassion, but I believe breeders have done a great job in bringing the Hereford back to the forefront of the beef business. Some breeders of course, never screwed their genetics up in the first place, and thank goodness for it.

It's all Galloways and Galloway-cross commercial cows for now, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings any to have some red&white around here.

a Lents bull??? :wink:

Whoa, whoa, whoa let's back up now RobertMac. :D I really like Jim's cattle, but I was thinking along the lines of some feathernecked cows to start with, bred to our Galloway bull. They'd be dandy baldy cows.

If I had some papered Hereford cows, a Lent's bull would be on my wish list, but I know there's folks in these parts with great ones, too. :wink:

To my knowledge a black hereford is 3/4 hereford with 1/4 angus. The reason is to eliminate any red baldie cattle that can come up with most black herds.

My uncles used to tell him a Hereford when calving goes behind the hill and prolapses while an Angus goes behind the hill and has a calf just slick.

Hardass Cattle Company
Rule #4 Don't prolapse. No prolapses in 6 years. Every cow that prolapses gets sold along with every cow that traces foreward and back to her.
Doug Thorson
Owner, Operator and Chief Hardass

Heterosis is the only free thing in this business and the feed efficiency of a Hereford can't be overlooked!

CattleArmy said:
Why not just cross a Hereford cow with a Black Angus bull and call it a Black Herfeord if a person has to put herford in the name?

We have a handful of Herefords (ok my Dad does and my youngest does) and when I see them it reminds me of my grandfather. He was a strong Herford man and it took years and years to ever get him convinced to go Angus. My uncles used to tell him a Hereford when calving goes behind the hill and prolapses while an Angus goes behind the hill and has a calf just slick.

I have owned and run my own cattle for 58 years,always herefords,and no doubt we have as much sun on snow as any where.In all that time we have treated sun-burn bags one time. Also in the last 12 years we have had one prolapse a BLACK!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

How come here in GA...we don't have problems with sun burn on the Herefords ?

We ( the family) had Herefords when I was a kid...loved them then and do now...and I never remember one prolapse nor sun burn problem.

Wonder why we don't seem to have those problems?

kolanuraven said:
How come here in GA...we don't have problems with sun burn on the Herefords ?

We ( the family) had Herefords when I was a kid...loved them then and do now...and I never remember one prolapse nor sun burn problem.

Wonder why we don't seem to have those problems?

You don't have enough snow :wink: Usually sunburn comes from the sun shining down on the snow and reflecting off the snow back on their bag and teats.....

PureCountry said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa let's back up now RobertMac. :D I really like Jim's cattle, but I was thinking along the lines of some feathernecked cows to start with, bred to our Galloway bull. They'd be dandy baldy cows.

If I had some papered Hereford cows, a Lent's bull would be on my wish list, but I know there's folks in these parts with great ones, too. :wink:

Come on, Pure, you were headed down the right road...don't get side tracked and regress...and it has nothing to do with "breed". Reread Jim's book and it will come to you.

There are many "great ones" out there...the trick is consistent replication...and, by definition, prepotency doesn't come with heterosis(not even outcrossing with a breed).

As for "feathernecked cows", I like Gearld Fry's comment that a cow's neck only has to be long enough to get her mouth to the ground!

Juan said:
CattleArmy said:

I have owned and run my own cattle for 58 years,always herefords,and no doubt we have as much sun on snow as any where.In all that time we have treated sun-burn bags one time. Also in the last 12 years we have had one prolapse a BLACK!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Easy Juan, you're old enough to know that every new generation "knows" they can build a better mouse trap! When/if they are at this as long as you, they will learn that it's not the breed, IT'S THE BREEDER!!!!

I am biased to the Herefords, and think the black herf is a joke. just a bunch of guys selling out to the black hide bias.....
but to each his own.

I have even thougght of putting a black bull in for a terminal cross, just to reap the rewards of the black market. but then I figured "why?" just run what you like, and damned the torpedoes.

Latest posts