• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bse mistake in Canada?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tam said:
Does freedom of speech mean you can repeatedly lie about something and get away with it Oldtimer? In most countries if you lie to the point of damaging the reputation of someone or something that is a case of SLANDER punishable by law.

"By the government's own admission, one or more of those 80 cattle are the most likely source of BSE in Canada," Mr. Pallett said. "Where was the monitoring? Where was the government's concern for the health of Canadians? Why did the government fail so badly in the exercise of its regulatory responsibilities?"

Tam- sounds like this Canadian ranchers group and their attorney are admitting this is a health concern and a health risk :? Looks like they are joining the R-CALF argument of a genuine risk and insufficient monitoring-makes showing that R-CALF slandered them a lot harder to prove.......

don said:
ot the question to you then is if the lawsuit doesn't succeed do r-calf's allegations go out the window???

Which of the handful of lawsuits are you talking about?

Kathy said:
I am very amused by this new law suit. I wouldn't join it for the world. The ranchers involved all accept that BSE is/was caused by the poor english cows imported into Canada. PROVE IT!

I am quite certain the terms "could be", "might be", "thought to be" and "believed to be" will rear their heads again. These terms have been dropped by mainstream media, but not by the official's like CFIA.

The science has not proven scrapie caused BSE. The science has not proven BSE caused vCJD, and the science has not proven that consumption of "infected" feed causes BSE.

All these are theories supported by homogenate studies which mean nothing, as the procedures involved are extra-ordinary and do not reflect real-life situations in the feeding of cattle.

This may be the hard way of learning an important lesson. I can't wait to see the two sides present their arguements.

I can't say as I'm amused by the lawsuit, but not surprised either. Like you, I want to stay as far from it as possible. It's unfortunate to see our own people resorting to R-CALF type tactics to the detriment of their own industry. It's unfortunate, but I suppose in any free society you will get radical crackpots such as these.

These people are not radical crack pots. My opinion is that they are sincere in what they are doing. They have bought into the infectious hypothesis, hook-line and sinker. The CFIA, CCA and other orgs. like Albertas ABP, will now reap the "rewards" of spreading unproven science as fact.

This is going to help RCALF, and it is never going to end, as the science is shifting like molten lava. Too hot for our governments and cattle organizations to handle. They just found this out too late.

Better to keep ones' mouth shut, than open it and remove all doubt!

It is rather orwellian, lies becoming fact - and facts becoming silly science.

If you say it loud enough and long enough, does that make it true? These litigator's believe so.

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:
Does freedom of speech mean you can repeatedly lie about something and get away with it Oldtimer? In most countries if you lie to the point of damaging the reputation of someone or something that is a case of SLANDER punishable by law.

Tam- Are you going to sue this Canadian group and the 100,000 they represent :???: Much of what they contend in the lawsuit is exactly what R-CALF and many US producers have been saying for months...What you have been saying is a lie, is now what these Canadian attorneys from several Provinces are now saying has happened... Are they libel/slandering you?

Just like Judge Cebull and the US Senators said- we need to set back and look at ALL the evidence before we make any hasty decisions on relaxing rules on imports.....If Canadians are bringing forth all this info now at this time, how much more do we not know? Why did NCBA's " investigative team of experts" miss all this in their 3 day barstool investigation of the entire Canadian feedban?

Where in this law suit does it say that in 2005 Canada has a chronic uncomplied to feed ban? Everything in this lawsuit pertains to pre feed ban happenings. Or didn't you notice the dates stated 1990, 1993 the feed ban came in in 1997 just like in the US.
Where does it say that in 2005 the US will have tested 150,000 more head annually than Canada for BSE? When in fact the US has only tested 233,615 head in 12 years and percentage wise are behind in their testing by over 45,000.
Where does it say in 2005 Canada processes downers but the US doesn't? When we have the same rules about downers and Canada also has laws against even hauling a downer. If we have the same rules and you look at the records of compliance to other rules, who do you think is more likely to be complying to the rules.

All this lawsuit says is Ridley Corp. knew, or ought to have known, that its feed could be contaminated by BSE. What Ridley did was perfectly legal in Canada and the US at the time. Why should Ridley know something that the rest of World didn't know? That being that BSE was in still in Canada. As far as the CFIA that part of the story just doesn't fit with the story that we have been told. and a LAWYER surely wouldn't stretch the numbers to make his 7 billion dollar case now would he. This lawsuit wants to blame the governemt and a international feed company to the tune of 7 billion dollars for something that a few producers caused. First by importing a few cattle from the UK which was legal at the time and then disposing of them. But if these cattle weren't being monitored these producers did nothing wrong but if they were being monitored then the producers should have notified the CFIA before disposing of them. The lawyer was able to find out about the 80 head so If they were being monitored the CFIA should have the names of the last known owners. Why aren't the producers being held accountable for their part of the BSE crisis? It would be interesting to know if any of those producers are in on this law suit.
Does any body really know anything about who is behind this lawsuit other than Mr Pallett the lawyer. The CCA doesn't seem to know much about it and I asked the SSGA president and he is in the dark of who in Sask is involved. This is a pretty big group of farmers for nobody to know who they are.

That's just OT playing the game of diverting people from the real issue just like all his other fibbing R-CALF buddies.

Kathy:
Any "Radical" is sincere in what he/she does. That's what makes them radical, the crackpot part comes from the obviously flawed logic that spurs them to become radical (as evidenced by OT :wink: )

These lawsuits are driving me nuts. Should be start a suit against these guys for damage caused to the industry by their suit? Where does it stop?

Tam- heres a link to the classactions lawsuit- I note their is a Saskatchewan resident included in the filers...

www.bseclassaction.ca

Oldtimer said:
"By the government's own admission, one or more of those 80 cattle are the most likely source of BSE in Canada," Mr. Pallett said. "Where was the monitoring? Where was the government's concern for the health of Canadians?

Mr. Pallet must be a radical crackpot since he believes there is a health issue :???:

Kathy said:
These people are not radical crack pots. My opinion is that they are sincere in what they are doing. They have bought into the infectious hypothesis, hook-line and sinker. The CFIA, CCA and other orgs. like Albertas ABP, will now reap the "rewards" of spreading unproven science as fact.

This is going to help RCALF, and it is never going to end, as the science is shifting like molten lava. Too hot for our governments and cattle organizations to handle. They just found this out too late.

Better to keep ones' mouth shut, than open it and remove all doubt!

It is rather orwellian, lies becoming fact - and facts becoming silly science.

If you say it loud enough and long enough, does that make it true? These litigator's believe so.

Can you please explain why in other countries that have had bigger outbreaks of BSE than we have had here in Canada when they stopped feeding ruminant back to ruminant they saw a large decease in the number of cases of BSE. If something else was the cause and nothing was done to these herds to correct that then wouldn't the number of new cases have stayed at the same level or increased over time. Where is your proof that it wasn't the feed all the signs of deceasing numbers have pointed to the feed as the source or those number wouldn't have change when we stopped feeding this stuff to our herds.

The sad parts of this lawsuit to me is:

1-Lawyers' (in general) willingness to sue just about anyone for most anything for either an almighty dollar or the notoriety.

2-These cattlemen must be at the end of their rope, i.e. literally and figuratively about to lose the farm, and are grasping at anything to keep their heads above water. People do strange things when backed into a corner and see no other way out. Sad, sad, sad.

They may have agood case based on what was done back in 1990, but this does not back up R-calf's claims of unsafe practises at present.

Murgen said:
They may have agood case based on what was done back in 1990, but this does not back up R-calf's claims of unsafe practises at present.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"By the government's own admission, one or more of those 80 cattle are the most likely source of BSE in Canada," Mr. Pallett said. "Where was the monitoring? Where was the government's concern for the health of Canadians? Why did the government fail so badly in the exercise of its regulatory responsibilities?"

Murgen- Pallet, the Canadian attorney is questioning the governments concerns for the "health" of Canadians...If their was a worry about the health of Canadians in 1990, why wouldn't their be a worry or even a bigger concern about their and all consumers health after you found 4 origin BSE cows? I'm sure he's not worried about a bird flu health issue :roll: Looks like the Canadian ranchers will be arguing the same issue as R-CALF- that BSE is a health issue.......

Mike said:
The sad parts of this lawsuit to me is:

1-Lawyers' (in general) willingness to sue just about anyone for most anything for either an almighty dollar or the notoriety.

2-These cattlemen must be at the end of their rope, i.e. literally and figuratively about to lose the farm, and are grasping at anything to keep their heads above water. People do strange things when backed into a corner and see no other way out. Sad, sad, sad.

I would sure like to know more about who these farmers are and what percentage the lawyer will get of the 7 billion dollars. It is funny that an organization like CCA doesn't seem to know anything about a law suit this big and is suppose to have been filed on behalf of 100,000 farmers. Has any body heard who they are?

Tam-

I ve heard of a few people in this area that have joined up with them. I think some people are just fed up with everything and this is the last stand!

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Tam-

I ve heard of a few people in this area that have joined up with them. I think some people are just fed up with everything and this is the last stand!

Do you happen to know how they signed up as we heard it was an internet web site?

Do you all think a bunch of ranchers and farmers are going to win a lawsuit against the gov't? Come on now, get serious! All they're going to accomplish is having the border stay closed that much longer!

http://www.bseclassaction.ca/english/index_en.htm

They even have a comment board that one can post to. One of the attorneys', Cameron Pallett, has a somewhat medical background.

Latest posts