• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

BSE Testing for Food Safety

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Urine testing would be great for convenience, Maybe? But would blood not be more accurate and time condusive?

My other question would be, if an animal is shedding these prions through urine, who says that is not the only place they are present at that time? Rendering the meat safe to eat? Have tests been done BSE-Tester?

Reader, if is possible for spontaneous BSE cases in Bovines, as you believe in, would it not be logical that vCJD might also be spontaneous in humans?

bse-tester said:
There appears to be some heavy reliance on the statements being put forward here that indicate that the only way to provide "Safe Beef" is to remove all Specific Risk MAterials (SRM's) from the human food chain. Whereas this indeed does help, it does not mean that the animal from which they were taken is completely free of BSE. If we remove the spinal cord and associated tissues, the eyes, the brain and the lymphatic nodes and all the rest of the specified materials, what is left may be considered prion free - and, my friends, that is absolutely not true! Only a fool would make the assumption that the animal that can secrete prions with it urine, just like you and I do every day, will no longer have any prions in its system once the SRM's are removed. Consider this: The BSE Prion (PrPsc) moves through the entire body with the help of the blood system. It is carried through literally, the entire animal and simply manifests itself in certain areas in larger quantities than elsewhere. We find it in meat homogenate, in urine, in blood and in brain and also spinal fluids. The whole argument surrounding this magic date of 30 months has evolved from the incubation period and literally has been taken to mean something else entirely. It certainly means that an animal that has BSE will likely display symptoms post-30 months and not usually before. Having said that, the animal that is infected, may have acquired the BSE Prion well before the age of 30 months and should be considered as totally unfit for human consumption as the prion will simply pass to the human who may develop the variant strain of BSE we call nvCJD. The answers does indeed come to us through a strict testing program providing that the test is priced reasonably and yet, what price do we place on the lives of our families?? Tam, perhaps you can answer that without putting forth your conspiracy theories about what is a fraud or a sham? Not looking to upset you but to engage you in a good debate, so please do not take any personal offense as none is intended at all. This is why we have spent the last two years working hard to prove our test and now that we have, we are hoping to get it validated and the EFSA in Brussels has provided their support to us in a number of ways to help us do precisely that because we know our test can identify prion disease in urine, but we are being careful not to blow our horn too loud as yet, until we get it approved. Ron.

Ron you have a funny way about putting someone at eaze in a debate with the kind of comments you started you question with. :wink:

But as calmly as I can type I will ask you, are you calling all the experts in the OIE and other experts in countries that have dealt with BSE longer than Canada and the US put together, that have told us that removing the SRM is the first line of defence and what removes the risk of contracting vCJD from eating beef, Fools? I'm just going by what our governments are telling us they are being told by the OIE experts. I have also read both the Canadian and US reports back from the OIE on the investigations into BSE in North America, where they have stated this in writing. I have also looked up some of the BSE prion in muscle meat theroies and what I have read coming out of the UK and EU is their experts have not found prions in the muscle. Are they Fools? I have read that Japan has not found BSE in under twenty month old animals and a very limited amounts in animals under thirty months.
Some say BSE causes vCJD and now it has been implied that it also causes CJD but no body has proved either theroy.
Some say BSE is caused by the enviroment, some by feeding ruminant to ruminant, some say it just happens and some say it is contagous because of body fluid. Lets look at the causes first.
If it is the enviroment why aren't there hot beds with more than one case showing up from the same enviroment?
If it is feed then if we stop feeding ruminant to ruminant then we should see a decline in cases. Well come to think of it we have seen large deceases after feed bans were implimented haven't we?
If it just happens then that would explain where the first case came from but if it just happens then isn't it safe to say it could happen to any animal no matter how it was raised?
Then there is the theroy that says it is contagious and again if so why are we not seeing more than one animal in a herd contracting BSE? We put down over two thousand head of cattle that had come into contact with the May 2003 cow and never found it in another animal.
First I will say good luck with your research but if the BSE prion is in the unine and a cow pees in a pasture and another cow eats the grass again why aren't we seeing more than one case coming from a single herd? Shouldn't we be seeing muliple cases coming from that pasture? When will we have the answers backed up with the results we have seen with the feed ban theroy, on some of these other theroies. Until then they are just un-proven research material and ways to scare people into not trusting beef.
I do hope the research continues and finds the answers but in the world we live in right now we have proof that the MBM feed bans work to stop the spread of BSE that is why we implimented the precautionary measure of a MBM Feed ban back in 1997.
We know with the current world testing protocol and years of test results that BSE does not show up in animals younger than 20 months and very few in animals under thirty months in test result. So why test all of them and tell the consumer we tested it for their safety, when we should be testing the older animals where the test actually may show us results we can use in designing other safeguards to protect our consumers. And Yes we remove the SRM as that is where the BSE prions have been found by all experts and we do this as a PRECAUTIONARY measure because we still don't have proof that they are not what causes vCJD in humans so why take a chance in eating them?
Just how much consumer confidence do you think will remain in our product if we went around telling consumer that we can not guarantee their safety if they eat beef as the test we use is not good enough and the SRM removal doesn't remove the risk of contracting vCJD. and then told them "The answers does indeed come to us through a strict testing program providing that the test is priced reasonably" but as of yet we only have a two year old research project that may or may not get approval. Do you really think our consumers care about the price of the test if it according to you is the only way to know for sure an animal is BSE free. I know by your posts that you are on here selling something but the beef industry's survival depends on the safeguards we have put in place and the confidence we have in those safeguards.

And...
IF there are prions in the urine to be detected...
Are you going to invent us a space-suit too so that poor Mike don't get, you know, (I'll use the word contaminated, since no one likes the word INFECTED) but yeah, WHOSE gonna be willing to catch any bugs IF, in fact, they are shedding from cow pee. I vote not Mike, although I wouldn't mind seeing you in saran-wrap Mike!!!!!! Tim H too!! Have a good day all and thanks for reading from Canada!

(1) timing and appearance of vCJD correlates with the BSE epidemic;
(2) classic CJD is normally found in over 55, vCJD median age was I think 25 years old with children as young as 12 getting it and the pathology differed from classic CJD but resembled BSE

Simply put, the disease did not exist before the BSE epidemic, its peak followed BSE peak ~ 10 years (incubation period) and it struck only the very young. It is also assumed that calves are the most susceptible to BSE

1) So, it's not possible that the two appeared at the same time due to environmental factors, or for the reason that they had the science present to dtect it and were looking for it in both species at the same period in time?

2) Is it possible that the vCJD and BSE strain effect an organism at a younger age in their lifespan? What's the lifespan of a cow? At what stage do both humans get vCJD and cows get BSE, within their lifetime.

What year did they find CJD? How does this correspond with scientists looking at other species for the same type of desease and it's variants?

If it's possible for bovines to contract other forms of BSE, or the desease may mutate, what are the cahnces it does the same in humans, without other outside factors?

reader (the Second) said:
Bill said:
Noise to signal ration 99%. Yawn.

SH makes some valid points. For some time you have been alluding to BSE causing not only vCJD but also CJD. Why don't you answer the question reader?

Incorrect Bill. I have fought with other families who believe that CJD is caused by beef and believe that there is a conspiracy to hide this. We don't know how 85% of the cases are caused. Pure and simple.

But there is a lot we don't know and the future will hold some interesting science, since there is so much to discover.
Fought with? Does that mean beside or against other families that believe BSE causes CJD?

bse-tester said:
To SH firstly: Our test has taken many years to perfect and has finally been proven to be an extremely sensitive and accurate test which can detect the presence of PrPsc (Scrapie-form Prion) in as little as 1ml of urine. The test doesn't care how old the donor of that urine is or whether or not it can do the Boston Two step. The test simply identifies whether or not the prion is present in the sample. Secondly, and I too hope I am not being too candid for you, one has to remember current and conventional science (tests) relies on the fact that the animal usually has presented some form of symptoms which in turn, indicates serious degenerative damage to the brain function thus causing the symptoms such as ataxia or shuddering and falling (downers). Consider this if you will; an animal which is hosting the infectious prion may well walk down the chute and appear to be perfectly normal as it goes to the kill floor. But it can still be harboring the infectious prion. Had the rancher chosen to keep that
animal for a month or a year longer, perhaps then it would have displayed the symptoms of being infected. MY argument here is that the animal, like a human infected with AIDs, may not display outwardly that it is a carrier. But it, like the human AIDS sufferer, is still infected. So I would ask if you would practice safe sex with an AIDS patient or not, since they apparently look normal?? Secondly, to repsond to your pointed remarks which went something like this : "Sounds to me like someone sees a chance to make some money here with a BSE test that is "supposedly" better than previous tests on younger cattle." All I can say to you is that we decided two years ago to not try to prove our test ourselves in our own labs, but to send it to one that would conduct the evaluation with an extremely independent viewpoint. THat lab was the United States National Prion Surveillance Center Laboratory, located at Case Western Reserve University, in Cleveland, Ohio. One of the world's most respected facilities. THey came back to us and said that our test not only works well, but with some of their scientific input, it can detect the presence of the infectious prion in samples that indicate that the prion is there long before any clinical symptoms have appeared.
Lastly, as for making money on this, you are damn right we will make money on this and for your information, approximately 75% of the profits will be going into further research for the identifaction of markers in diseases such as Alzheimers, Parkinsons, Hodgkins and so on and to the funding of "Post-Doctoral" studies in prion research. Yes, we are here to make money, but frankly, I resent tohe conotation that we are here to make money off the backs of Ranchers. We are here to help and we are working hard to get our test proven to the point of validation. So, "SH," if you wish to stay current with the world of science and the rest of us "Fast buck artists," as you so delicately referred to me, stay turned. We will try to provide some sanity to this BSE question and hopefully pursuade you that we are the good guys here, not the thieving bastards who wish to make money on the backs of those who risk their livelyhood each and every day on the farm. And SH, please do not believe all that the Feds are telling you about tests and BSE, and especially SRM's. They are still thinking in haphazrd ways and ely on old opinions that were formed back when BSE was still an unknown. I hope that was informing and not too candid. Ron.
I hope all of what you have written is on the up and up though I can't understand why you are posting it here unless you are selling stock in your company. Good luck in convincing the powers that be to use it. Until then you are just one of several hopes of a live test.

Neither the pathology nor the epidemiology support sporadic CJD being due to BSE, at least not unless that's always been the case, since the numbers are only slightly increased in some countries (Switzerland, possibly the U.S. and Germany) and the pathology appears to be the same in the majority of cases as what it has been since the 1930s

Reader, what work is being done on sporadic CJD? Seems all we ever hear about on Ranchers is the work that is being done on BSE causing vCJD, when it is only how many cases per million, when CJD is 1 per million of population.

Bill said:
Incorrect Bill. I have fought with other families who believe that CJD is caused by beef and believe that there is a conspiracy to hide this. We don't know how 85% of the cases are caused. Pure and simple.

But there is a lot we don't know and the future will hold some interesting science, since there is so much to discover.
Fought with? Does that mean beside or against other families that believe BSE causes CJD?

Against families that believe that BSE causes SPORADIC (classic) CJD.

I accept the theory that BSE causes variant CJD (vCJD).

Neither the pathology nor the epidemiology support sporadic CJD being due to BSE, at least not unless that's always been the case, since the numbers are only slightly increased in some countries (Switzerland, possibly the U.S. and Germany) and the pathology appears to be the same in the majority of cases as what it has been since the 1930s.
Although I disagree with your acceptance of BSE causing vCJD (I believe it MAYact as some sort of trigger) I appreciate the clarification. As I wrote earlier I was unsure of your stance on CJD. Thanks reader2.

So, I would ask, why are they concentrating on a strain that has killed 150-200 worldwide, when CJD has killed about 400/year in the US? Has it anything to do with it meshing with animal activists agenda's? and not upsetting big business and environmental concerns?

Maybe it's just because they have someone else to blame, when they can get scientists to agree with them that it is food borne?

If we didn't eat meat, it would be blamed on vegtables I guess! Reminds me of the levels of estrogen within vegtables, virus implants in cattle!

Ron,

I appreciate your post and I do support enhanced BSE research.

With that said, let's look at the obvious here.

Look at the numbers of animals tested in the U.S. and Canada that were born before and after the feed ban and how many have actually showed up positive.

The recent Texas cow revealed a weak positive with the Western blot that was "inconclusive" with previous tests. The OIE accepts the Western blot as being the best BSE test available on cattle over 30 months.

Assuming that your test is as accurate as you claim, we already have accurate tests to detect BSE in older cows that were born before and during the feedban phase out and we're only finding a handful.

Why on earth would you feel you could find BSE positives in younger cattle born after the feed ban if they are not being found in older cattle?

From my standpoint, this test on younger cattle is irrelevant if the feed ban took care of the BSE problem. If it didn't, positives would be showing up in older cows born after the feedban.

No matter how accurate your test, there has to be a need first. I don't see the need.

If BSE is transferred in the urine, as you suggest, I would think all those cows pissing in the stock dams would spread it like wildfire. They are drinking their own piss.

The obvious simply does not jive with this newfound need to detect BSE in younger cattle.

I'm sorry but I smell a "fast buck artist".

You can't detect what is not there to detect.

I'll listen to what you have to say but I have been around long enough to where I would want a point/counterpoint debate with government researchers before I would ever sink my teeth into anyone's research on BSE that contradicts the best scientists within the government. In most situations, government researchers are held more accountable to the public than private firms trying to make a quick buck and that is why I cautiously support the government's research on this issue.

You deserve to be heard but you also deserve to be debated.

Again, thank you for stating your position in a civil yet candid manner.

Edit: As a cattleman concerned about adding unnecessary expense to the industry, I have a bias too but as God is my witness, I would never put my livelihood ahead of the "LEGITIMATE" safety of U.S. consumers. That's why I am "cautiously" willing to listen to what you have to say.

~SH~

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:40 pm Post subject: SRM Removal - The real sham!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There appears to be some heavy reliance on the statements being put forward here that indicate that the only way to provide "Safe Beef" is to remove all Specific Risk MAterials (SRM's) from the human food chain. Whereas this indeed does help, it does not mean that the animal from which they were taken is completely free of BSE. If we remove the spinal cord and associated tissues, the eyes, the brain and the lymphatic nodes and all the rest of the specified materials, what is left may be considered prion free - and, my friends, that is absolutely not true! Only a fool would make the assumption that the animal that can secrete prions with it urine, just like you and I do every day, will no longer have any prions in its system once the SRM's are removed. Consider this: The BSE Prion (PrPsc) moves through the entire body with the help of the blood system. It is carried through literally, the entire animal and simply manifests itself in certain areas in larger quantities than elsewhere. We find it in meat homogenate, in urine, in blood and in brain and also spinal fluids. The whole argument surrounding this magic date of 30 months has evolved from the incubation period and literally has been taken to mean something else entirely. It certainly means that an animal that has BSE will likely display symptoms post-30 months and not usually before. Having said that, the animal that is infected, may have acquired the BSE Prion well before the age of 30 months and should be considered as totally unfit for human consumption as the prion will simply pass to the human who may develop the variant strain of BSE we call nvCJD. The answers does indeed come to us through a strict testing program providing that the test is priced reasonably and yet, what price do we place on the lives of our families?? Tam, perhaps you can answer that without putting forth your conspiracy theories about what is a fraud or a sham? Not looking to upset you but to engage you in a good debate, so please do not take any personal offense as none is intended at all. This is why we have spent the last two years working hard to prove our test and now that we have, we are hoping to get it validated and the EFSA in Brussels has provided their support to us in a number of ways to help us do precisely that because we know our test can identify prion disease in urine, but we are being careful not to blow our horn too loud as yet, until we get it approved. Ron.

SH Qoute Look at the numbers of animals tested in the U.S. and Canada that were born before and after the feed ban and how many have actually showed up positive.

How do you know that the BSE tests were accurate to find other variants SH?????

The recent Texas cow revealed a weak positive with the Western blot that was "inconclusive" with previous tests. The OIE accepts the Western blot as being the best BSE test available on cattle over 30 months.

Give me a break SH, Technology will prove that any age animal can be affected and carry BSE pirons.

Assuming that your test is as accurate as you claim, we already have accurate tests to detect BSE in older cows that were born before and during the feedban phase out and we're only finding a handful.

Ah Sh,You don't care about food safety to the consumers,shame on you!!

Why on earth would you feel you could find BSE positives in younger cattle born after the feed ban if they are not being found in older cattle?

Come on SH,We have been feeden chicken s**t for years and you don't think 1 cow has gotten past any ban as downers were just taken out of the food and feed supply months ago.

From my standpoint, this test on younger cattle is irrelevant if the feed ban took care of the BSE problem. If it didn't, positives would be showing up in older cows born after the feedban.

Why do you think everyone with common sense such as Ron and I, thinks your remark is stupid ,SH .If the test someone uses can't detect BSE at a low level at any age ,why would the OIE suggest removing all SRM's.

No matter how accurate your test, there has to be a need first. I don't see the need.

FOOD SAFETY FOOD SAFETY FOOD SAFETY FOOD SAFETY FOOD SAFETY
FEED SAFETY FEED SAFETY FEED SAFETY FEED SAFETY FEED SAFETY FEED FEED SAFETYFEED SAFETYFEED SAFETYFEED SAFETYFEED SAFETY FEED FEED SAFETY FEED SAFETY FEED SAFETY FEED SAFETY FEED SAFETY FEED FEED SAFETY FEED SAFETY FEED SAFETY FEED SAFETY FEED SAFETY FEED SAFETY

Maple Leaf Angus said:
Mike said:
More than 40,000 BSE Positives in the UK were born after the Feed Ban in 1988.

Does anyone have an explanation for this? If it was already given elsewhere, I missed it.

MLA, It is conveniently explained away by cross-contamination as you will read in excerpt fron the "THE UK BSE INQUIRY" as follows:
207 Much later it became apparent that infected feed had continued to be fed to cattle on a substantial scale after 18 July. Nearly 12,000 cattle born after the ban (BABs) in 1988 and over 12,000 born in 1989 subsequently developed clinical signs of BSE. A far larger number must have been infected, but slaughtered before signs became apparent. Some of these cases will have resulted from accidental contamination of feed. Some will have resulted from farmers, who had little or no means of knowing whether their feed contained ruminant protein, continuing to use the feed they had in stock. But we are satisfied that some feedmills and feed merchants deliberately continued to sell cattle feed containing animal protein after the ban come into effect.

208 Had the only source of contaminated feed been existing stocks of cattle feed made up before the ban came into effect, the BABs would have come to an end once this had been consumed. In the event, over 5,600 cattle born in 1990, 4,500 born in 1991, 3,000 born in 1992, 2,200 born in 1993 and 1,000 born in 1994 were to go down with the disease. With hindsight, it is clear that most of these infections resulted from cross-contamination of cattle feed with pig and poultry feed, containing infective MBM, in the feedmills. The risk, indeed the certainty, of a degree of cross-contamination when the same production lines are used to produce different batches of feed is, and was in 1988, well established. One reason that has enabled us to conclude that cross-contamination did indeed result in infection of cattle is knowledge that we now have as to the quantity of infectious material that suffices to transmit BSE orally in cattle.[/b]

Maple Leaf Angus said:
Mike, you don't sound convinced.

I'm sure not. Did the use of O.P.'s change during that period?

There is questionable evidence concerning dates and uses of OP's also.

I remember years ago, my dad and I were trying to fix an electrical problem on a piece of machinery. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it was a confusing, inconsistant, recurring problem. We would fix the obvious sourc of the problem, only to have it go down again.

Finally we figured out that we had not one problem source, but two. I remember an observer saying, "you've got double trouble".

What I'm saying is that I have a sneaking suspicion that the origins of this disease and it variations may be multi- sourced, therefore much harder to trace and treat than we are thinking. Much more complex than a single source infection.

But little do I know about this stuff . . .

Latest posts