• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Can Am Side by sides

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We have a brand new ranger 900 with a cab and heater. We had a 700 with a cab and heater and I love this new one better. Way quieter cab and heater is awesome with 6 or 8 vents. Keeps all window defrogged most of the time and the passengers warm on really cold days. The new cab is also way tighter with less air leaks but one thing I really dislike is the doors are suicide style rather that regular hinged in the front. I really don't like the doors hinged in the back. This new 900 is also quite a bit handier to service than the older one.

i do think there are too many little problems things with the rangers for what they cost but we would really hate to be without ours. They are very handy for all sorts of projects and get around in all types of weather and mud. We like that fact that they can get around in the spring without leaving tracks in the grass and prairie like you would with a pickup.

One thing we found with the ranger is that if you take care of them and don't beat them all to he**, the trade-in value is usually very good. Especially if you get them loaded like we do.

Soapweed said:
Big Swede said:
Next thing we know you'll be wearing a ball cap, wearing sneakers, and raising corn. You're on a slippery slope, Soap :lol: :shock: :lol:

Or maybe even calving in May. :)

Don't be ridiculous, I doubt you'll ever go that far. :lol: :p

LazyWP said:
When we got my Gator in January of 2013, I never figured I would use it at all. I have a Suzki Sidekick, 4X4 heat air, and goes anywhere. The second week I had it, I put a roof, and full windshield on it. The Sidekick hasn't been started in 6 months. The half ton fencing pickup, has had less then 3 tanks of gas through it, and that was because Lisa hates using the Gator when its below 0, and she was doing the chores after I had my surgery.
With the windshield on, it doesn't bother me to use the Gator down to about 15 below. Mine is a diesel, and starts about no matter what. The only time I won't use it, is in deep snow. The belt slips something terrible then. One thing about the full windshield is it sucks the dust and dirt into the cab. Someday I will have a back glass, and doors too, but it will probably be on a newer one. I put a little over 500 hours on in a year.

We have considered a JD Gator........found a nice used 2011, but upon checking further, what I found was that they won't run over 35 mph (which is fast enough for me, but I guess not for my better half :p ) and they are noisy.
So what are your comments in regard to those two things, WP? And
thanks!

I have a ton of experience on this topic! Lots of my friends have sxs of all different makes!

The Can Am is a sport model, and would not be my pick for a utility purpose unit, it wouldn't even make it in the top 3. They are very fast, and have a great ride. However, the bed is I think the second smallest amongst the name brand sxs (rzr 1000 has the smallest).

The person complaining about the Honda Big Red, you stated the truth. The big reds were a flop. They are noisy, the seats are un-comfortable, and the ones I had experience with were kind of doggy!
I do like the new Honda 700 Pioneer though. They improved a lot from the big red, and the pioneer is a lot better. How ever I wouldn't buy one just yet, because I never buy anything the year it comes out.

The new john deer gator is nice, but after a couple buddies of mine had them they left a bad taste in all of our mouths. Any issue they had they had to battle with the dealer to get it fixed under warranty. The dealer kept claiming the units were being abused and They weren't one broke a cv axle while pulling a round bail out to the fields on a muddy day. The other had over heating issues that were un-explainable. For the price and being less than a year old, they should have been fixed under warranty.

They Kawasaki Teryx is in my opinion a failed attempt at a rhino knock off. They ride good and are quieter than a rhino, but that is where the ball drops. The cooling system struggles to keep up when putting at low speeds especially in dusty environments. The listed pay load is a fib. We loaded one with a gas welder and some small stuff (maybe 400 lbs) and it felt and looked like the rear suspension was bottomed out. Feels like the engine is working hard when your using it as a utility and it seemed like it used more gas than my dad's old rhino.

I am a fan of Yamaha sxs. Although the Rhino is noisy and is not as peppy as some of the newer sxs. I like them, they are reliable, and are a work horse. My dad's has been used to pull broken jeeps in and out of our shop and seems to never quit. I like the way it rides, and I feel the pay load is underestimated, for example; we used it to haul 80lb bags of concrete around when building my dad's deck and with 6-8 bags it didn't seem to squat too bad.
I was pleased with my experience in the new Viking. The model I drove has the EPS. It has the same 700 EFI motor but tuned to get I believe 15 more hp than the old rhino. I feel it shows. I like the size of the bed 2nd only to the 900 ranger. The only thing I didn't care for was it seemed like it didn't turn very sharp. I know it's wider, but it seems they could have made it turn tighter than it does. I also didn't care for the seat, felt like I was sitting too up right and would get tired of sitting like that after a few hours.

Polaris has knocked it out of the park on their sxs. I am still not a big fan of their atv's, but I love the Polaris sxs. The ranger 900 4 seater is a beast. However I feel that if your getting a 2 seater there is no need for a 900. The 800 is a great motor that proven to be very reliable and creates more than enough power to do anything that the ranger can handle. The 800 4 seater seems a bit slug when loaded w/ 4 people and climbing or pulling that is about the only time I feel a 900 is needed unless you plan to go and play all the time. I know this isn't really important info, but the rzr 1000 is like a rocket on 4 wheels. I got to take a ride in one and OMG it can make you wet your pants... The power is so un-necessary, but I loved it...

I have 2 friends that are dealers one is a Polaris dealer and one is a Yamaha dealer, and I have been around atv's and sxs for a very long time.

Oh and btw, Arctic cat is to me is like a four letter word!

Faster horses said:
LazyWP said:
When we got my Gator in January of 2013, I never figured I would use it at all. I have a Suzki Sidekick, 4X4 heat air, and goes anywhere. The second week I had it, I put a roof, and full windshield on it. The Sidekick hasn't been started in 6 months. The half ton fencing pickup, has had less then 3 tanks of gas through it, and that was because Lisa hates using the Gator when its below 0, and she was doing the chores after I had my surgery.
With the windshield on, it doesn't bother me to use the Gator down to about 15 below. Mine is a diesel, and starts about no matter what. The only time I won't use it, is in deep snow. The belt slips something terrible then. One thing about the full windshield is it sucks the dust and dirt into the cab. Someday I will have a back glass, and doors too, but it will probably be on a newer one. I put a little over 500 hours on in a year.

We have considered a JD Gator........found a nice used 2011, but upon checking further, what I found was that they won't run over 35 mph (which is fast enough for me, but I guess not for my better half :p ) and they are noisy.
So what are your comments in regard to those two things, WP? And
thanks!

The Gator is loud, no doubt about it. My diesel is probably louder then the gas, but after setting a fire in 2012, with a gas pickup, I doubt I will ever have a gasser out in the hills, much. 35 is tops, on the older ones like mine. You can run a cow down with out much trouble at 35, but a horse that gets out on the highway, well lets just say I chased him 6 miles before he played out enough for me to get him turned. :mad: :mad:

The owners of this place have both a gasser the same age as mine, and then he one a new one, playing golf. I think his will both run about 45. Lisa says 35 is way to fast for how I drive. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that I have to have a horse when chasing cows. There has to be 1 brain involved, and I usually lose mine. :oops:

4Diamond said:
I will stick with my 89 ford ranger 4x4. $1200 and it has heat and ac.

You ever try one of these, and I doubt you will ever go back to your Ford. I argued for 4 years I didn't want or need one, now I am lost with out it.

With all the cabs and heaters and stuff in them- around here anymore we look like a foreign country with all the little UTV's running around town, in front of the Post Office, parked at the coffee shop, or even at the stockyards...
Several folks used them all winter long...

I'd still like to find someone that has one of the electric ones to see how they like them...

First, I'd like to call BS on my own post from page 2. The guy at the dealership parts counter was dead wrong about how much oil our new Outlander ATV held. 2.2 qts. is what I found online. The 3.5 qts. that he quoted ran it over when we changed the oil the first time. No owners manual to be found.

Also, was wondering if there might be some decent aftermarket doors for a Polaris 900 being manufactured somewhere that haven't shown up on a search? Have got the top and actual glass windshield and rear glass so far, but the $1000 for the crappy vinyl doors to several times that for top of the line seems excessive.

LazyWP said:
4Diamond said:

You ever try one of these, and I doubt you will ever go back to your Ford. I argued for 4 years I didn't want or need one, now I am lost with out it.

I can spend $10,000 on cattle and be ahead I think. I am curious how they can be so much better than a small pickup? I don't mind to hop in that truck and go 45-50 miles to pickup something. Don't think I would like that in a ranger or gator.

I guess this strikes a nerve because it was pointed out to me last week that we weren't farmers (ranchers) because we didn't have 1. This coming from a man with no cows.....

4Diamond said:
LazyWP said:
4Diamond said:

I can spend $10,000 on cattle and be ahead I think. I am curious how they can be so much better than a small pickup? I don't mind to hop in that truck and go 45-50 miles to pickup something. Don't think I would like that in a ranger or gator.

I guess this strikes a nerve because it was pointed out to me last week that we weren't farmers (ranchers) because we didn't have 1. This coming from a man with no cows.....

I guess this wasn't about having a sxs or not having one....it was about one vs the other. We don't have one, maybe it isn't feasible to have one, but we are looking into it. If I could still ride a horse, I'd not be as interested. I still want to get out in the pasture, smell the sagebrush, feel the air, etc and I can't use a 4 wheeler because of carpel tunnel and pinched nerve in both elbows. It wasn't meant for anyone to be defensive about what they prefer to have, or even want to have or don't feel they can afford.

If there is a benefit over a small pickup, it seems that would be that they don't leave tracks. We had a Scout II, we got an Xterra to replace the Scout, so we felt that we didn't really need a sxs. Since I can't operate a 4-wheeler we are re-thinking it.

I think we have had a great discussion here of pros and cons of each. If you don't want a sxs, don't get one. Simple. I sure wouldn't let any one make me feel bad about not owning one. :D

4Diamond said:
LazyWP said:
4Diamond said:

The only thing I can say more about one is if you get one you will wander why you didn't a long time ago. I have a little pickup also and it's nice for some stuff but a side by side is just a great tool to have. Also have you ever seen anybody get rid of their side by side and go back to a small pickup? I will agree they are way to expensive, but I think they are worth it. FWIW we put over 100 miles on ours a day in the summer. Whatever chores you are doing with a little pickup fixing fence checking mineral or like us checking irrigation just figure it will take almost half the time with a side by side than a regular vehicle of any kind.

I've been toying with the idea of getting one, but with 2 in college and another one going there in a little over a year it may be a while. Besides, if I was to get one, I'd never be able to get it away from my wife! Or my son!

Everyone definately needs one! haha just kidding! We have had since 2009 and love it. Running a Teryx with 7400 kms on it. The teryx is old technology but I have zero issues. We are looking at a new one this fall and for practicality the Ranger is on the top of my list. But sometimes I'm not practical! I believe we will buy a Commander. After driving one I was impressed. Quiet,fast (I like fast) and very comfortable. Not as easy to get in and out if you are at that age that it bothers you. Consider your dealer and his history. Nothing like a great dealer and that is why the Commander is high on my list. Other than Arctic Cat we have a great dealer and still wouldn't buy one. JD-nope (and I'm a JD guy). Yamaha -dealer issues and Honda isn't a consideration. They failed at a sxs build.Beware-unless you spend some $ on a good windsheild and rear dust sheild you will look like a dust ball! Best thing on our farm/ranch.

loomixguy said:
I've been toying with the idea of getting one, but with 2 in college and another one going there in a little over a year it may be a while. Besides, if I was to get one, I'd never be able to get it away from my wife! Or my son!

At least you have a wife and son........I don't. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My son loves his rangers - - - is on the third one ( has 2 on hand ) and I drive one on rare occasions but I feel my 1996 S10 ZR2 will go anywhere his rangers go ( I have proven it with him ) But I might have to back up a couple of times on short turns.

I go in greater comfort and great "buddy seats " for my grandchildren - - - It is old enough that plates and insurance are very cheap and I can go to St. Louis to pick up a final drive for my excavator and get about 21 MPG most of the time.

The air conditioner no longer works but with 357,000 miles everything else works and I just like the truck. Lets face it I could buy it's twin for about $1,500 - - - The last ranger my son bought was right at $14,000

S10front_zpsdb2a3321.jpg
[/url]

[/img]

As you can tell I can haul 130 Gals of diesel fuel ( good when raccoon hunting ) and still have a lot of dry tools in the box.

George said:
My son loves his rangers - - - is on the third one ( has 2 on hand ) and I drive one on rare occasions but I feel my 1996 S10 ZR2 will go anywhere his ranges go ( I have proven it with him ) But I might have to back up a couple of times on short turns.

I go in greater comfort and great "buddy seats " for my grandchildren - - - It is old enough that plates and insurance are very cheap and I can go to St. Louis to pick up a final drive for my excavator and get about 21 MPG most of the time.

The air conditioner no longer works but with 357,000 miles everything else works and I just like the truck. Lets face it I could buy it's twin for about $1,500 - - - The last ranger my son bought was right at $14,000

S10front_zpsdb2a3321.jpg
[/url]

[/img]

As you can tell I can haul 130 Gals of diesel fuel ( good when raccoon hunting ) and still have a lot of dry tools in the box.

I will guarantee that you can't get everywhere I can with my Gator. Shoot, I can't get the same places with my 4 wheeler.
As I said before, I argued for 3 years that I didn't think I needed a side by side, and I would never use it. Took all of 2 days to fall in love.
Neighbor guy has a couple Polaris 6 wheelers. They put a real flat bed on them, and I'm not so sure they haven't put a Welker caker on one of them. Jay told me he can check cows here in less time then it took with the pickup, and that is driving the 30 miles to get here.
Quite a tool, but not the only tool in the box. They will never replace a pickup, nor a horse, nor a 4 wheeler.

They have their place I'm sure. If I can own either or it's the pickup hands down. Funny all the guys that have them here beeotch every cold morning because it's so cold in them. I laughed said hop in this ford ranger it's nice and toasty.

The truck vs sxs/ atv is always going to boil down to preference and opinion. There is pros and cons of using either for the same job. As far as costs go, a used sxs can be as cheap as a used truck, so price is irrelevant.

The Ranger's are handy for sure. The newer ones seem to be built much better. The first one I used was probably a 2001 or 2002, it was a lemon. If you don't need to haul much and you like to giggle you should look at a Razr. One of the guys I work for has one, every time I get into it I want to drive out in a field and start spinning cookies. There used to be a car commercial with an older man and woman driving a car like crazy. The come to a stop and the woman says "Leland what on earth are you doing?" Leland replies "I don't know, but I like it." That's how that Razr makes me feel. It is a lot of fun to drive and tops out at 70mph, I think. They are super snappy.

Latest posts