• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Can't Afford a Bull This Year!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Heyyyy JB, don't be puttin' me in that 50+ AARP eligible group just yet! The calendar says I still have almost 4 months to go! :eek:

Though I have decided to take advantage wherever I can. My sister treated me to lunch at Wendy's a while back. Gal behind the counter took the order and rang it up on the register. Then she looked at me and redone it to give me the senior discount.

I'm not proud. If it saves a buck I will milk my advancing maturity status for all it's worth! :wink: :p 8) :lol:

John SD said:
Heyyyy JB, don't be puttin' me in that 50+ AARP eligible group just yet! The calendar says I still have almost 4 months to go! :eek:

Though I have decided to take advantage wherever I can. My sister treated me to lunch at Wendy's a while back. Gal behind the counter took the order and rang it up on the register. Then she looked at me and redone it to give me the senior discount.

I'm not proud. If it saves a buck I will milk my advancing maturity status for all it's worth! :wink: :p 8) :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back to topic, today I purchased an 18 month old replacement bull. Black angus middle of the road epd's and gave $2250 for him. Bulls worth the money are out there just go to sales and be patient.

I haven't seen a bull around here at 14 months of age that sold for $2250. Let alone one I would let breed my worst neighbors cows. Here you are going to pay a minimum of $4000 to find a bull that will transfer the kind of growth an mass that I want in my herd. We are a long ways away from each other though, and I am sure your bull suits your program just right. I am looking for a bull to build my herd with as I am constantly expanding my herd from within. Cull bulls are selling for almost $2250 now. Not what I want putting genetics into my herd.

Just bought a pair of yrlg bulls private deal for $2,000 ea. Fine looking bulls too (as far as Angus go :p ), and looking at the mothers and sire made the deal look even better. When asked why he was priced where he was the seller just said that was what he always sold them for.
Got another pair coming in the next few weeks we paid $2500 ea. for. Angus x Simmie. They come from an outstanding herd and we have bought several their over the years that have done very well for us.

There's a lot of guys selling a few bulls each out there without all the fan fare and hullabaloo that have excellent cattle. Often times the prices these folks ask are much more reasonable than the highly promoted stock and can be just as good or better. It also seems to me that if one can avoid the auction sale fever one will be more likely to make a deal you will be happier with in the end.

North Ridge Ranching said:
Went a couple Simmental sales this year looking for a good Black Simmental. I don't know if I can afford one at the prices they are going for. I am not really complaining, i mean I am happy for the guys selling them, but man are they trading good this year. I just have a hard time justifying the cost on them. Lets say a bull on average breeds 150 cows over his lifetime ( 5 years x 30 cows ) and costs around the $8000 that they went for yesterday, that comes out to over $50.00 a calf if they all live and conception rates of 100%. It is a good sign of the optimism in the industry though.

I havent read all the comment, but if ya dont think you can afford to playsell to someonemthat is willing to play

Pretty cheap when you are selling $1000 calves at 650 lbs.

RMUG said:
North Ridge Ranching said:
Went a couple Simmental sales this year looking for a good Black Simmental. I don't know if I can afford one at the prices they are going for. I am not really complaining, i mean I am happy for the guys selling them, but man are they trading good this year. I just have a hard time justifying the cost on them. Lets say a bull on average breeds 150 cows over his lifetime ( 5 years x 30 cows ) and costs around the $8000 that they went for yesterday, that comes out to over $50.00 a calf if they all live and conception rates of 100%. It is a good sign of the optimism in the industry though.

I havent read all the comment, but if ya dont think you can afford to playsell to someonemthat is willing to play

Pretty cheap when you are selling $1000 calves at 650 lbs.

That my friend, ticks me off a bit. Maybe you should of read a bit more. I have played as you would say. But let's get real for a moment. Are you in the industry for fun or for a business. Did some one gaurentee you no issues with calving this year, no chance of drought, $1.80/lb for your calves this fall. I can't imagine someone has, and if they have, give me their number and I would like to deal with them. We are one year out of some of the toughest times our industry has seen north of the border and we are suppose to just forget all that , including the risks we all take every year and just PLAY. Thanks for the advise, but no thanks.

Just heard that a guy contracted his calves for $1.70@600 pounds. Don't know who the buyer was or any of the other details, but that sounds pretty tempting.

AAP,

You bet that is tempting. That's about what they are trading for here right now. That's about $0.20 / lb higher than last falls run. If it works for the profit margins you are looking to make, I say why not. Not to many people would of been interested in doing something like this the last few years because everybody was hoping for more. Now that a little more profit is built into the price, it makes this type of idea alot more interesting.

Not having a lot of luck finding a good black simmental bull,so i figured i would go to a couple of angus sales.Maybe just be able to pick one up and keep him around for back up in case one of my simmentals gets hurt this year,and atleast i would get my cows bred.Sale last weekend was red angus they averaged $4400 and i didn't really care for the bulls,sale yesterday was red and black angus and they averaged $5400 and most of these went to the commercial cattlemen.Charolais bull sale on thursday bulls averaged $7000.Needless to say the search continues for a black simmental bull,i'm not paying that amount of money for a angus bull.

Thanks North Ridge i'll check them out,the new cows i bought this winter are just starting to calve now,so i don't want to leave to farm from home until i see how the bull he used on them works out.

I would agree with you,and argue that there is good black gelbvieh cattle to.My last bull i really liked and they make good replacments for the cow herd,that is always another option.I like your bull EV BIG DADDY-OH 21Y,that you have in your advantage sale.

What is wrong with several of you that are close and raise like type cattle keeping back your best bull calves and swapping them around to keep from inbreeding?

I have "traded" 500# bulls several times with some of the better herds in the area and we both felt like we did good.

A little cooperation at the local dinner can get things going where everyone can benefit!

Thanks 3words, he is a tank....and number of our blacks are doing well this year. 21Y just under 1500 lbs on Mar 9th.....and we don't push them. (Although that is certainly can be a seperate discussion). Think 47Y is going to be overlooked, his mamma is a moderate, thick gal that always puts them out....not extreme in size just under 1200lbs, but not a year old yet. His mamma has already calved and her son is looking good.
There are some good Gelbvieh sales coming up in Sask, maybe a little closer to home.

George said:
What is wrong with several of you that are close and raise like type cattle keeping back your best bull calves and swapping them around to keep from inbreeding?

I have "traded" 500# bulls several times with some of the better herds in the area and we both felt like we did good.

A little cooperation at the local dinner can get things going where everyone can benefit!

That's interesting, me and a couple neighbors were just discussing that the other day. We have bulls from the same herds even, just different breeding. I think it something we will see more of around here in the next couple years.

perfecho said:
Thanks 3words, he is a tank....and number of our blacks are doing well this year. 21Y just under 1500 lbs on Mar 9th.....and we don't push them. (Although that is certainly can be a seperate discussion). Think 47Y is going to be overlooked, his mamma is a moderate, thick gal that always puts them out....not extreme in size just under 1200lbs, but not a year old yet. His mamma has already calved and her son is looking good.
There are some good Gelbvieh sales coming up in Sask, maybe a little closer to home.

The PGA sale in moose Jaw Johnstone's is coming up. Fladen's have some top notch cattle.

George said:

I think that is a good idea and you can get bulls adapted to a local environment and more than likely they aren't feed up real heavy and raised on sawdust.

Interesting, a one nutted bull sold for thirty nine thousand at the sale that North Ridge Ranching recommended. Feature Bull wouldn't semen test, put embryo brother in but had a testy stepped on as a calf, just think if two were present!

CA

Latest posts