• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

catch pin design. "PICTURES"

Help Support Ranchers.net:

alabama

Reaction score
Over in the rented pasture, the catch pin is wire panels and some pipe panels held up with short post. It is one of those things that may work for calves but I am going to get killed working cows with. I have had cows jump out knock the fence down and also bulls push under the gate and make the escape. They are tearing up my panels.
The pasture only holds 10 to 15 mamma cows with calves and a bull. I have used this pin for AI and vaccination a few times but with narrow escapes every time. I was thinking that the best answer might be to buy something that I can move if I lose the lease or have to move the cows for another reason. So I am left with needing something cheep with just a few cows to work but something that is safe and something that I can take with me when I leave.
I am open for suggestions.
Thanks.

How far is this pasture from home-we have a few hundred feet of 5' high portable panels that we move from pasture to pasture. If you have some pounded in posts to fasten them to they shouyld work very well.

The rented pasture is only 2 miles by road from my place. I set up some panels but I need a design for a small herd of cows and I am sure I will need to buy some more panels. I use a friends Powder River squeeze shoot so I don't need that part.
I guess I should post some pictures of the existing facility and then get suggestions of a way to improve it as cheep as I can.

Bama,

Look at a Powder River Homesteader Deluxe Alley to lead up to the Squeeze Chute. Breaks down easy and is pretty durable. It also gives you an adjustable alley you can take it from place to place. It is a newer version of what I use in several Places. If you have some Powder River Panels, You can buy the alley bows and use the panels you have. They will hang on these bows.

I would say a Utility Sweep if you are taking it up and down, a Portable Sweep if you are leaving it. You can go with a 90 degree sweep on the Portable to cut cost (Although a set of doctor bills will pay for a ton of panels). The Portabel Sweep is 14 guage, Utility 16 gauge.

On the Perimeter, I use 16 guage square corner straight leg panels. The are light enough (12 footers) that I can move them (about 93 pounds I think). They are heavy enough to take some abuse. The ones I use are 64 inches tall. Seem to be a happy medium. The straight legs dig in a little bit.

I put this together after trying lots of different things. Now I go, setup and work cattle, no chasing or fixing wrecks. The two things I wouldn't comprimise on are hieght and weight. Ask not only about guage, also weight. Some will call a 16/20 combination a 16 gauge panel. Weight puts it on apples to apples basis.

Oh, and when I get it all hooked together, I don't have to use any posts.

Jason Jones is the Powder River Rep in your area, he'd be able to help you with more specifics I am sure,

I think Preifert makes some similar equipment that should work in a similar way also. Like I said, I don't use under 16 gauge with the exception of perimeter of noncrowding areas.

PPRM

Great answer and thank you very much. I need to get some prices and haul off the cows to pay for it. It is still better than a broken neck.

My pasture A'I pens are just a 12x24 rectangular pen with a 24 ft straight alley leading off it into the chute-i've a'i'ed 1,000's of cattle with that set up-trust me some rank ones and it works great. We set it up so the cattle walk through the catch pen to drink or get salt etc. You can set this up in a few minutes I pound the odd post into strenthen it-if I'm feeling ambitious. A couple hundred bucks spent on a Bud Williams handling course will save you alot of money in corrals and alot of headaches-unless of course you get a gate in the noggin lol.

I will take some pics so we will all know what i am trying to improve. See y'all in a few days.
Thanks to all

Bama,

PM myself and probably NR with a fax number. I have a simple layout, sounds like his is to. A lot of times layout is determined by what you have to work with, and budget.

The most expensive part is the chute,

PPRM

Look at this it may help you. :???:
I know the best thing I do to handle my cattle is know them and feed them range cubes year round (it is a whole lot easier to lead them then to push them). :cboy:
http://www.mobilcattledoc.com/beeftoday.html

Over the last year or so we have taken all the old wooden corral's down and replaced them with pipe and sucker rod. The wood ones were built by my hubby's grandad back in the 50s and it just got too dangerous to work cows with fences that weren't holding up. The pipe was a little on the expensive side but the sucker rods made up for the difference. 25 ft joint of 7/8 for $5.00 so after the pipe posts and toprail 25 ft of sucker rod 6 rails high for $30, what other kinda fence can ya put up that's as stout and inexpensive?
We just did one section at a time in case we needed to pen something I didnt want to have the whole thing wiped out. We've now got all the working chute and perimeter fence done. Only thing left is continuing the chute down the outside fence and puttin 2 holding pens in the very back. Can knock that out in a couple days.
I know it's not something you'd wanna build on a rent pasture, but there are alternatives out there that aren't so expensive.

I have about 40 10 ft. portable corral panels you can set them up by yourself in a short time.It can hold up wards of 80 pairs in the one I have.Also corral panels seem to hold there value so they are portable and saleable.Alot of guys have them mounted on a trailer.I my self want to make a portable chute and alley system that has hangers for 40 panels..Load and go..

Up here they are making lots of panels out of oil field tubing and puting legs on so they are free standing. Need a good loader to move them but the seem to make a good permante corral that can be move for cleaning or re configureation. Not real handy to move for small bunches in different pastures.

Just an idea for posts. I've filled tires (tractor, truck, depending on weight needed) with concrete and putting the post in the centre. They work well for panels, gates or even electric. Roll them or use a tractor or skidsteer. Heck I guess a horse could even pull the lighter ones.

I don't know how many $$$ you have to spend. I have about 250 feet of portable corrals, but recently bought a Wilson Wheel corral---wished I would have done that years ago. They are not cheap, about $8,000 or so. I am 53 years of age and can have the corral ready to hold cows in about 15-20 minutes. Extremely easy to move from pasture to pasture, and the cattle won't knock it over or climb out. It will easily hold 100 yearlngs(700#), and 60 pairs with no crowding.

We have pictures.

DSC00059.jpg

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00066.jpg

I took some of some cows while I was taking pictures.

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

Your cows look really good.As for your pens set some bigger post and run a couple rows of poles or plank over your wire panels and the pen should hold up just work the cows slow and easy

Thanks denny. I guess I need to get me a few buckets of water and my hole diggers and some taller post. I thin you are right. the pin is too short.

Latest posts