• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

cell phones, which one is better?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Just go on ebay and buy what you want and change your sim card the rodents that live here do it quite often.

flyingS said:
I didn't read this in time FH, next time look at the Samsung Convoy 2. It is a good durable plain phone. I have the Casio like WP's wife, I don't like it very well, I really wish I could get a different phone.

I haven't bought one yet, so thanks. We are 80 miles from the nearest Verizon store. I just checked with the local store that handled Altell and he said
we have to get one with Verizon software or it won't work properly. He
said we could buy one off e-bay, as has been mentioned here, but to be
sure to get one with Verizon software. Is the Samsung Convoy 2 a
Verizon phone. One big question: Is it slim to fit in Mr. FH shirt pocket?

And Denny, what is a 'sim card'?

Thanks everyone for your help. I was
sure I could count on you!!! :D

Faster horses said:
flyingS said:
I didn't read this in time FH, next time look at the Samsung Convoy 2. It is a good durable plain phone. I have the Casio like WP's wife, I don't like it very well, I really wish I could get a different phone.

I haven't bought one yet, so thanks. We are 80 miles from the nearest Verizon store. I just checked with the local store that handled Altell and he said

The sim card is the chip the sevice provider puts in your phone that makes it "Bell phone" or Verizon phone" etc. You should be able to take any phone you own outright in to a dealer of your choice and have them put their sim card in.

Silver said:
Faster horses said:
flyingS said:

The sim card is the chip the sevice provider puts in your phone that makes it "Bell phone" or Verizon phone" etc. You should be able to take any phone you own outright in to a dealer of your choice and have them put their sim card in.

Very interesting.Thanks! So we can take Mr. FH original Razr in to Verizon dealer and have him/her insert their sim card in it? I hope I'm reading that right.

I think it will fit in his pocket just fine. I had a Convoy that I really liked. I replaced it with the Casio Ravine because it had military specs, making it water proof, and the Convoy had been discontinued. Shortly after I got my phone the Convoy 2 came out. It basically has the same features as the Convoy with military specs. My sister inlaw has one and it seems to be very durable, she doesn't take very good care of it. The nice part about it is you do not have to buy a data package or try to figure out a smart phone. They are pretty basic. Good luck I know what a pain it is to have to buy something you can not try long enough to see if it works.

FH, around here meaning the local verizon store will charge any and everyone a setup fee of $50 for a phone purchased outside their store, even if you buy it online from verizon.
If they did not sell it you pay 50 bucks to have them set it up, phone # etc.
good luck

HAY MAKER said:
FH, around here meaning the local verizon store will charge any and everyone a setup fee of $50 for a phone purchased outside their store, even if you buy it online from verizon.
If they did not sell it you pay 50 bucks to have them set it up, phone # etc.
good luck

Thanks Haymaker. I'll call the Verizon store in Miles City to check on
everything. I'm so glad I brought this up, I got a lot of good info.
I knew not much before posting here. Appreciate everyone's time they
took to post info.

I just updated my phone.

Called *228 and pumched in my phone no and then acct no or password. Less than 5 minutes I was done.
I could go to the local Verizon store, never had a problem. The lady there is always accomodating but it could be we went to school together. I don't know how everyone else fares in the store.

Larrry said:
I just updated my phone.

Called *228 and pumched in my phone no and then acct no or password. Less than 5 minutes I was done.
I could go to the local Verizon store, never had a problem. The lady there is always accomodating but it could be we went to school together. I don't know how everyone else fares in the store.

hey!!! I love simple! I'll try it, thanks!!!!

Was a long time Blackberry user, but lost/smashed a couple of phones and had to switch to I-phone as I needed one and the dealer only had I-phone in stock and I didn't have time to order another BB. Put a bulletproof case on before I left the store, and find my I-phone. If you lose your phone you can log on to the internet and see it on a satellite photo that is very accurate (lost my phone 2 days later and was within 20 feet of it when I went to look based on the satellite image (could even count how many fence posts down from the gate on the photo).
Smart phone lets me check local weather in detail, get emails, connect laptop and surf internet from the truck, etc. Also has market reports and a flashlight app (very handy).
Pretty easy to use.
In Canada we are on Telus as it is the only provider that gets consistent tural service in our area...

Yes finding a lost iPhone is easy, I can call mine on any phone and git it to howl like skinny coyote lookin for a fat chicken.
Good luck

RSL, is your I phone durable? Our 2 year contract is over in October and we are up grading to smart phone. We're going to cancel our land line and through verizon you can keep your land line number and hook a box to it and get call with your cell phone from your land line number.

I have a Samsung Intensity that is a complet piece of junk! When my wife upgraded her phone I got one for free. After dropped calls, phone freezing up, and random stuff opening that I never did. I know now why that phone was for free.

tenbach79 said:
RSL, is your I phone durable? Our 2 year contract is over in October and we are up grading to smart phone. We're going to cancel our land line and through verizon you can keep your land line number and hook a box to it and get call with your cell phone from your land line number.

I have a Samsung Intensity that is a complet piece of junk! When my wife upgraded her phone I got one for free. After dropped calls, phone freezing up, and random stuff opening that I never did. I know now why that phone was for free.

I would say my I-phone is about as durable as any of the Smart phones, but an Otterbox Defender or Ballistic case makes a huge difference. I tried to get a good case in Blaze Orange (for ease of losing) but have not been able to find one yet. BIL has a good one in bright Yellow and Grey.

Silver said:
Another must in my area is a Wilson booster. You can get one that will broadcast inside your vehicle, or a hard mount version. The difference in reception is amazing and worth the price if service is borderline to poor in your area.

If we didn't use a Wilson Booster we wouldn't have any cell service in the house. :)

life is much simpler without cell towers. :wink:

We have a cheapy we use when one of us goes to town or farther, so far we don't miss one at home. :D

RSL said:
Was a long time Blackberry user, but lost/smashed a couple of phones and had to switch to I-phone as I needed one and the dealer only had I-phone in stock and I didn't have time to order another BB. Put a bulletproof case on before I left the store, and find my I-phone. If you lose your phone you can log on to the internet and see it on a satellite photo that is very accurate (lost my phone 2 days later and was within 20 feet of it when I went to look based on the satellite image (could even count how many fence posts down from the gate on the photo).
Smart phone lets me check local weather in detail, get emails, connect laptop and surf internet from the truck, etc. Also has market reports and a flashlight app (very handy).
Pretty easy to use.
In Canada we are on Telus as it is the only provider that gets consistent tural service in our area...

So do you like the iphone quite a bit better than the blackberry? Or just don't want to jack around getting another phone? My contract is coming up and my BB is starting to do weird stuff. I just got it all figured out finely. It won't let calls come in and internet don't work so you take out the battery and it resets then its good for a few days.

3 M L & C said:
RSL said:
Pretty easy to use.

So do you like the iphone quite a bit better than the blackberry? Or just don't want to jack around getting another phone? My contract is coming up and my BB is starting to do weird stuff. I just got it all figured out finely. It won't let calls come in and internet don't work so you take out the battery and it resets then its good for a few days.

Have you updated it lately? BB's and IPhones like to be updated on occasion.

Silver said:
3 M L & C said:
RSL said:
Pretty easy to use.

Have you updated it lately? BB's and IPhones like to be updated on occasion.

No I didn't know that How do you do that? I really like this web sight I think I learn something new every day. Unless every one on here is full of BS :lol:

On by BB, I open up the "options" icon, select "device", then select "software updates" When you select "software updates, your phone will check itself, tell you what version you have, and if it's up to date.

Latest posts