• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Connecticut School Shooting

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Guess what boys...you're not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours, so why don't we just agree to disagree..kind of like the conversation we just don't ever have at my house concerning if the Americans were the ones who won WW2...(no they weren't!)
have a nice evening and hug your loved ones tight

I find that very response surface so much when someone tries to take my right away to defend my children and can't tell my why I don't have the right to defend my kids from crazies.

Larrry said:
I find that very response surface so much when someone tries to take my right away to defend my children and can't tell my why I don't have the right to defend my kids from crazies.

Guess what Larry..I never said you couldn't defend your children.. I said "I am not anti guns at all, my husband owns his fair share, but I am now more than ever against these kind of guns and how easily obtained they are in the US. "
have a nice evening

In the US, the time has expired to do anything productive with gun control. There is simply too much out there now. If the Gov't were to ban all guns, certain guns, or whatever, the criminals will still have it and honest people will be at the mercy of the criminals. With that said, the US certainly does have an issue with firearm related homicides. In fact, 2/3rds of all homicides are commited with a firearm. Is it the impersonal nature of it? I don't know, but it's something I feel needs to be acknowledge, from both sides of this issue (and it's not a D vs R issue), before any real change can happen.

My opinion on what happened in Conneticut. That monster was out to get his fame and he got it. And no law would have stopped him from becoming "famous". It's obvious he was in a bad way mentaly and that is what needs to be addressed. The mental health system in the US is a joke. Three day evaluation, here are some meds (that may make a person more unstable), and if there are any problems give us a call. That seems to be the S.O.P.

Some people do not have the mental soundness to safely live amongst the general population or to be educated in a normal classroom setting, but the all inclusive society that we have become, has seen to it that they are treated equally. It is now coming back to bite us.

I do not know about the rest on here, but I would love to see my tax dollars that are going towards entitlement programs be diverted to mental health programs. These are people who truely cannot help themselves, unlike many of those that currently recieve Gov't assistance.

Link for firearm related homicides:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10shrtbl08.xls

Yanuck said:
Larrry said:

Guess what Larry..I never said you couldn't defend your children.. I said "I am not anti guns at all, my husband owns his fair share, but I am now more than ever against these kind of guns and how easily obtained they are in the US. "
have a nice evening

You want to pass more laws. Everything That kid did before he got to the school was against the law and it didnt stop him!!!!!

Over the past decade, reports the FBI, the number of background checks performed under NICS each year has increased dramatically — from less than 9 million in 2001 to more than 14 million in 2010 (the latest year for which final figures are available). That's an increase of more than 60 percent.

The FBI also collects statistics on murder rates throughout the U.S., published in its Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Statistics. Over the past decade, according to UCR data, the murder rate in the U.S. plunged to the lowest level in 50 years – from 5.6 (murders per 100,000 population) in 2001 to 4.8 in 2010. That's a decline of more than 14 percent. (Preliminary figures indicate that murder dropped another 1.9 percent in 2011.)

To summarize: Over the past decade, the annual number of background checks performed increased by more than 60 percent, while the murder rate simultaneously dropped by about 14 percent. (See chart and graph).

The facts are utterly devastating to the narrative propounded by the mainstream media and its favored politicians: Either (1) there is no correlation between gun ownership and the murder rate, or (2) gun ownership is negatively correlated with the murder rate (in other words, more guns means fewer murders). Either way, the Establishment narrative is not merely unsupported but conclusively refuted by the evidence.

Dreamin Big said:
Yanuck said:
Larrry said:

have a nice evening

You want to pass more laws. Everything That kid did before he got to the school was against the law and it didnt stop him!!!!!

I want the ban of assault rifles, other than leanin' H, none of you have told me why someone would need to own one and yes Mike I am blaming the gun as well as the sick little bastard that did this. :roll: see I can roll my eyes just like you!

Yanuck said:
Dreamin Big said:
Yanuck said:
have a nice evening

I want the ban of assault rifles, other than leanin' H, none of you have told me why someone would need to own one and yes Mike I am blaming the gun as well as the sick little bastard that did this. :roll: see I can roll my eyes just like you!

Please tell us why you blame the gun since it is really no more efficient at killing people, or any deadlier than any ordinary semi-automatic deer rifle. It just looks different.

I know several guys who predator hunt with AR's because they are lightweight to carry and cool looking (to them) but other than that they are only a machine that shoots a projectile.

And please be explicit as I am truly trying to understand. But there is no doubt you've been hoodwinked by the liberal media. Did I mention that many people think they look cool?

A shotgun is much more efficient at killing people at close range (like in that school). Heck, you could kill several people in one shot with a shotgun.

But they just don't look cool, or look like an "assault" weapon. Named by Liberals to install fear among those that don't know better.

Just a thought as I have been reading all the sides of this story. I was in Rapid City last Saturday, and stopped at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center to pick up my wife and kids after they attended Beauty and the Beast. As my son and I were setting in our van, the show got over and all the people flooded out to head for home. If I had put my van in drive, and got up to 40 or 50 miles an hour and run through that crowd, can you imagine the kind of killing that would have resulted from that? What I'm trying to say, is if you think banning assault rifles will stop crazy people from killing, I think you may be crazy yourself. Assault weapon's may be getting blamed for this senseless violence, but banning them won't do a lick of good. That 20 yr. old kid could have taken a 12 gauge shotgun to that school with the plug out and done just as much damage if not more than the assault rifle, then what would be next, ban shotguns too?

From Mike Huckabee:

My Fox show monologue:

I've said some controversial things from time to time, but none which prompted such a backlash as when I stated that the horrific shooting in CT of school children and teachers couldn't be blamed on God because we've systematically marginalized God out of our culture by removing Him from all aspects of the public square.

The vicious attacks that have resulted, most of all of which are based on total ignorance of what I actually said have actually validated my point, but I'm quite certain that was not the intent of both the professional and amateur critics who have demanded everything from my being banned from ever speaking in public again, or wished me a slow and painful death. On that alone, I wish to acknowledge that the left has again shown that it defines tolerance and diversity as being tolerant only of that with which it agrees, and diverse only to include slight shades of the orthodoxy of liberalism to which they adhere. They abhor censorship of their own profanity, obscenities, or graphic violence, but are the first to demand that a voice that invokes the name of God to be silenced.

A specific act of violence is rarely the result of a specific single act of a culture that prompts it. In other words, I would never say that simply taking prayer and Bible reading from our institutions or silencing Christmas carols is the direct cause of a mass murder. That would be ludicrous and simplistic. But the cause and effect we see in the dramatic changes of what our children are capable of is a part of a cultural shift from a God-centered culture to a self-centered culture.

We have glorified uninhibited self-expression and individualism and are shocked that we have a generation of loners. We have insisted on a society where everyone gets a trophy and no one loses and act surprised that so many kids lack self-esteem and feel like losers. We dismiss the notion of natural law and the notion that there are moral absolutes and seemed amazed when some kids make it their own morality to kill innocent children. We diminish and even hold in contempt the natural family of a father and mother creating and then responsibly raising the next generation and then express dismay that kids feel no real connection to their families or even the concept of a family.

We scoff at the need for mothers and fathers to make it their priority to train their children to be strong in spirit and soul and responsible for right and wrong and exalt instead the virtue of having things and providing expensive toys, games, and electronics that substitute for parenting and then don't understand why our kids would rather have ear buds dangling from their ears, fingers attaching to a smart phone, and face attached to a computer screen than to have an extended conversation with their family at dinner. And we don't teach them there is a Creator God who sets immutable rules, a God who is knowable, and to whom we are ultimately responsible. Instead we teach that God was not involved in our origins, that our very lives are biological happenstances and in fact are disposable should they be inconvenient to us, and that any outrageous behaviors are not sin, but disorders for which we should be excused and accommodated.

I realize my viewpoint sounds out-dated and archaic, but when that world view was the foundation of our nation's social contract, we got in trouble at school for talking in class, chewing gum, pulling a girl's pigtails, or slouching in our school desks. We took guns to school, to be sure, but they were in the gun racks of our trucks and we used them to hunt before and after school. It never occurred to us to use them to murder our teachers and fellow students. So yes, I can stand the contempt and criticism of the left. I'll gladly accept their scorn as they substitute creative language with a steady stream of profanity-laced tirades that I'm an idiot, a throwback to the past, and a person who should be forever silenced. But when we as a nation feared God, we didn't fear that a 20 year old with a high powered rifle would gun down our children in their schoolrooms.

I want the ban of assault rifles, other than leanin' H, none of you have told me why someone would need to own one!

Let me try and explain this for you and others:

The 2nd Ammendment of the United States Constitution, and the Constitution of most States in this Republic was and still is intended for the Citizenry of this land to defend itself and even overthrow a tyranical and over reaching government.

At the time of the writing of this document, the framers had just won independence as a new nation from the most powerful and tyranical super powers of that time, hence their mindset.

In addition, the 2nd Ammendment gives teeth to the 1st Ammendment which guarantees your right to speak out against said government.

While some may not agree with it, that is in fact, the way it is.

HTH,

bart.

Mike said:
Yanuck said:
Dreamin Big said:

Please tell us why you blame the gun since it is really no more efficient at killing people, or any deadlier than any ordinary semi-automatic deer rifle. It just looks different.

I know several guys who predator hunt with AR's because they are lightweight to carry and cool looking (to them) but other than that they are only a machine that shoots a projectile.

And please be explicit as I am truly trying to understand. But there is no doubt you've been hoodwinked by the liberal media. Did I mention that many people think they look cool?

Yes I have been hoodwinked, I am totally overeacting to the murder of 26 innocent people, 20 of them children, whom are the exact age of my youngest daughter, that's got to be the only reason obviously. Of course people should own guns that have capabilities to fire numerous bullets in rapid succesion, it is after all the American way and no one wants to give an inch on either side even if it meant that one of those kids wouldn't have died on Friday. Yes people who want to murder people will do so by many different means...tell me 9 times out of 10....what is used?
I have no problem with people owning guns, none whatsoever. I feel that things must change or this is going to happen again and again. Yes mental health, video games, parental influence are all factors, why is it so hard for all of you to admit that maybe, just maybe guns and the availabilty of them in this country are part of the problem?

It is our duty to protect our second amendment rights.
Guns prevent crime.

None of those who want to restrict gun rights can promise a safer society with the ban.
In fact the opposite happens. Study after study verifies that. Don't let the lamestream media brainwash you with their emotional propaganda.

Yanuck said:
Mike said:
Yanuck said:

Yes I have been hoodwinked, I am totally overeacting to the murder of 26 innocent people, 20 of them children, whom are the exact age of my youngest daughter, that's got to be the only reason obviously. Of course people should own guns that have capabilities to fire numerous bullets in rapid succesion, it is after all the American way and no one wants to give an inch on either side even if it meant that one of those kids wouldn't have died on Friday. Yes people who want to murder people will do so by many different means...tell me 9 times out of 10....what is used?
I have no problem with people owning guns, none whatsoever. I feel that things must change or this is going to happen again and again. Yes mental health, video games, parental influence are all factors, why is it so hard for all of you to admit that maybe, just maybe guns and the availabilty of them in this country are part of the problem?

I would much rather concentrate on issues that will solve the problem.

1st- Mental health screenings for questionable people.

2nd- Eliminate "Gun Free" zones.

I do not totally disagree with you Yanuk. I can not say that there is any true feasable use for an assault rifle to hunt with or for self defense. Although, if you think that banning assault rifles will stop this you are mistaken. Not only will things like this still happen, the banning of assault rifles will just be the beginning to a nation wide gun ban. I am a hunter and own several guns of all makes and models. I am by no means a excellent shot. You said that the shooting lasted 8 minutes. I would almost guarantee you that if someone with my capablities and firearm ownership were to commit the same crime they would have killed more people than this young man did. No, I do not own an assault rifle and the only semi-automatic weapon I have is a shotgun. I bet it would amaze you what kind of damage you could do with a muzzle loader in 8 minutes, if you had a plan and were effecient with it. It would be simple to do that much damage when there is no threat of someone defending themselves or others. As soon as the shooter knew he was going to be confronted he took his own life. If there is a ban on one firearm it will lead to a ban on all firearms. I could not agree with Soap's post on Huckabee's comments anymore. Not only do we need to bring God back into our society and pray for the victims of this trajedy, we need to pray for the young man that committed this terrible crime. Why you ask, because that is what Christians do. God loves everyone equally, psycho killer or innocent children, he doesn't pick one over the other. Maybe if this young man had been introduced to God and shown his love, this may have never happened.

Seen this quote and thought it fits.
"Evil does not exist in a gun. It exist in the minds and hearts of those who pull the trigger for evil purposes."

Yanuck said:
[

I want the ban of assault rifles
There have been several good arguments made why banning assault rifles as you call them won't help. You refuse to be open minded enough to look for the answer. If the teacher had had a gun and training would less kids or more kids been slaughtered? Could you possibly be wrong?

Hold onto yer arse here cause I'm gonna AGREE WITH YANUCK!!! Betcha didn't see that one coming, huh??/

No one needs a rifle, call is assault or whatever, that has mass capacity magazine for ' hunting' or ' personal protection'. I was taught, and I am guessing many of you, that one shot...one kill!!

Banning guns won't help either as I like and want to keep mine.

I think guns should be registered.

Persons wanting to own/buy guns should go thru some type of education class on guns safety and how they work and the damage they can do. You have to take a test to get a drivers licenses and be a hair dresser, why not own a gun?

After passing the "knowledge" test, they should qualify at a gun range also. Just like you do to get your drivers licenses.............

Ok, now start attacking me on levels that have NOTHING to do with this topic! I got a busy day ahead of me, so let's get it over with and out of your system now!!

XOXOXOX's

Oh yeah, and raise the fees of the permits to $100 or better.
:wink:

Let's just ban all the guns, then all the crime will magically disappear.

If we can just convince the public that these criminals are really just law abiding citizens.

:roll:

425666_10151295735662726_1275947269_n.jpg

Latest posts