• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

COOL Poll

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I grant all Canucks a good night, I know they'll soon be taking over my ranch but I'll still give them a good tour cause I'm such a nice fellow

You paying for the tickets down? I'm interested to see what those LonghornxHolstein cows of yours look like.

Silver: I wonder how it would work, really. If I ship an american calf up here, feed it, send it back as a fat to have it slaughtered, and bring it back, where is it from?

That sounds like a dang good question to me. I hope some of y'all have a good answer. I sure don't know where that beef is from?

Alabama said:
Silver: I wonder how it would work, really. If I ship an american calf up here, feed it, send it back as a fat to have it slaughtered, and bring it back, where is it from?

That sounds like a dang good question to me. I hope some of y'all have a good answer. I sure don't know where that beef is from?

Silver- Alabama-- Under the current MCOOL law - the only thing that could be considered Product of USA would be those born, raised, and slaughtered in the US... Once that calf went out of country it would no longer qualify as a US product.......

Thanks Oldtimer. So we know that it ain't USA beef. What lable do we put on it?
"Unknown?"
or
"Born in the Us, fed out in Canada, Killed in the US, and boxed in Canada?" and by the way it was fed with grain from south America and butchered with Jap steel.

Life can be so confusing some times.

Alabama- I think thats one of the issues being ironed out in some backrooms right now--USDA was supposed to come up with a plan to implement MCOOL, but dropped the ball... Now there are a lot of Congressmen that want to see this border issue settled--Starting to bite them in the rear-- a vote against COOL or in favor of the border opening makes you look like you are against food safety, consumers, and the ranchers-- a vote for it and against the border and you are anti business and upset the big money folks that have been doling out to them for years...They have pretty much told USDA to fix it....They don't want to have to vote again......

An attorney friend told me that the reason everyone is filing friend of the court briefs and trying to intervene in the R-CALF suit is so they can get status to be in on the settlement discussions between R-CALF and USDA..--reason NCBA even came out of the hole its been hiding in..... I don't think we will ever see a trial- but we will see MCOOL implemented.....

The USDA just ain't what they used to be. I just hope they get MCOOL started and do it so that it is fair and honest.

Silver,Alabama,and others ,when it comes to reading data and making decisions from records we do that.Silver's questions: I wonder how it would work, really. If I ship an american calf up here, feed it, send it back as a fat to have it slaughtered, and bring it back, where is it from? In our International database at ScoringSystem the records are always keep together from Field to Fork.PIDC makes this possible as a tracking algorithum and worldwide code that is similar to the vin number in your car .We know in real time where it moved and who moved it across the globe .We provide the data space and you provide your Premises code and the RFID associated to that individual animal enitity.Our Site can be seen at www.scoringsystem.com/agri/

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:
...I just want them to be honest and open with the consumer.......

This is a joke right, don't you belong to R-CALF Oldtimer . Or is it that you just expect every one but R-CALF to be honest and open with the consumers. Have you figure out what stand the R-CALF leadership is standing on this week? Is it 100% test or sell no beef from cattle old than 20 months or is it BSE is a non issue because of your superior safeguards? Come on Oldtimer you expect others to be honest lets see how honest you are. Do you stand behind your group defending their members owning Canadian cattle? Do you support R-CALFs lies about the Canadian beef being unsafe to human health and your feed system? Do you believe in 100% testing, or selling no beef from cattle over 20 months or do you believe BSE will be a non issue because of the safeguards that you think the Canadians should come down and help you lobby the USDA to fix? Be honest Oldtimer

I told you many times Tam -- Label it all- then open up the border-- Quit allowing the packers and retailers from passing off Canadian beef and cattle as US by slapping a USDA stamp on it--Leave the decision on whether its safe or if they want to buy it up to the consumer--- Thats where I stand....

We all know you think MCOOL will save you but You want other to be honest Oldtimer why not R-CALF? Tell us your views on the rest of the questions. Do you stand behind your group defending their members owning Canadian cattle? Do you support R-CALFs lies about the Canadian beef being unsafe to human health and your feed system? Do you believe in 100% testing, or selling no beef from cattle over 20 months or do you believe BSE will be a non issue because of the safeguards?

Hat said:
Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
I told you many times Tam -- Label it all- then open up the border-- Quit allowing the packers and retailers from passing off Canadian beef and cattle as US by slapping a USDA stamp on it--Leave the decision on whether its safe or if they want to buy it up to the consumer--- Thats where I stand....

We all know you think MCOOL will save you but You want other to be honest Oldtimer why not R-CALF? Tell us your views on the rest of the questions. Do you stand behind your group defending their members owning Canadian cattle? Do you support R-CALFs facts about the Canadian beef being unsafe to human health and your feed system? Do you believe in 100% testing, or selling no beef from cattle over 20 months or do you believe BSE will be a non issue because of the safeguards?

NO,YES,NO,NO,NO

Let me get this right Hat
Was that No, you don't think R-CALF should have to tell the truth
Yes you support them defending R-CALF members owning cattle
No Canadian beef in not unsafe
No you don't agree with 100% testing
No you don't agree with selling beef from cattle under 20 months.

or was it No, You don't agree with the leadership defending the R-CALF members that own Canadian cattle
Yes, You agree that Canadian beef is unsafe.
No, you don't agree with 100% testing
No, you don't agree with selling only beef from cattle under 20 months
and No, you don't agree this will be a non issue if BSE is found in the US.

Either way I have to wonder how outspoken you would be if you agreed with a group you support more that 1 out of 5 times.

Another question do you think the US should open their borders to Japanese beef if Japan opens to the US. Remember Japan has had 16 cases and have only had a feed ban in place since 2001 and they will be dropping the 100% testing of Japanese beef, back to over 20 month old animals

QUESTION ,Will CANADA let Japan ship BSE TESTED WAGEU beef in? Be that they expect to export BSE tested to JAPAN .eh

:) Ate some BSE tested Kobe beef at our Canadian Beef Export Annual meeting last fall. Special permit, but it was here, and I ate it.
Think about the price for a moment and then think about how much of that product would concievably come to Canada or the USA.

rkaiser said:
:) Ate some BSE tested Kobe beef at our Canadian Beef Export Annual meeting last fall. Special permit, but it was here, and I ate it.
Think about the price for a moment and then think about how much of that product would concievably come to Canada or the USA.

Kaiser - I will agree with you on that- and it will all be labeled Japanese Kobe Beef so consumers can choose- It won't be passed off as a generic product..........

Oldtimer - does American beef become identified as American in Canadar?

Lots of American steaks in restaurants we try to sell. They say they can get a cheaper product out of the states.

STAFF said:
Silver,Alabama,and others ,when it comes to reading data and making decisions from records we do that.Silver's questions: I wonder how it would work, really. If I ship an american calf up here, feed it, send it back as a fat to have it slaughtered, and bring it back, where is it from? In our International database at ScoringSystem the records are always keep together from Field to Fork.PIDC makes this possible as a tracking algorithum and worldwide code that is similar to the vin number in your car .We know in real time where it moved and who moved it across the globe .We provide the data space and you provide your Premises code and the RFID associated to that individual animal enitity.Our Site can be seen at www.scoringsystem.com/agri/

Thats all fine and dandy from a food safety point of view, more info is better. But the lable that people see when they go to the store is just going to have one country of origin as near as I can tell. It seems that as integrated as the north american marke is (or was, and will be again if the border should happen to reopen), it is kind of a joke to lable a product as being US or Canadian. Especially if regulations on both sides are harmonized. Although I still like the idea of seeing the maple leaf on beef in your stores..... kinda gets me all patriotic and stuff.... :wink:

Hat said:
Silver said:
STAFF said:

Thats all fine and dandy from a food safety point of view, more info is better. But the lable that people see when they go to the store is just going to have one country of origin as near as I can tell. It seems that as integrated as the north american marke is (or was, and will be again if the border should happen to reopen), it is kind of a joke to lable a product as being US or Canadian. Especially if regulations on both sides are harmonized. Although I still like the idea of seeing the maple leaf on beef in your stores..... kinda gets me all patriotic and stuff.... :wink:

The American Consumers equate your maple leaf to BSE ridden BEEF. Good luck with that.

Well let's just see. I have a hunch most americans look at the price tag first. I'll also bet most americans aren't even really aware of BSE to any signifigant extent.

R-Calf if allowed to continue will ruin the beef industry by changing the dynamics of it, and doing it from the courtroom. When the packing plants close you guys have to suffer the consequences.... and I know how that feels.
Why would your checkoff market anyones beef but it's own. But I don't think running down other beef would be beneficial to it's cause. But it's your check off..... at least as long as it's constitutional.

Hat
Then I guess your argument that R-Calf is ruining the beef industry really goes out the window then. If the checkoff was doing their job they would discriminate against your beef and market ours. Do you canadians disagree with the intent of a US checkoff marketing only US beef? PS Murgen I have not recieved you address. My check is in the mail. R-You a man of integrity?

Does destroying the consumer confidence in Canadian beef when the US consumer can not tell which is Canadian and which is American make good sense to you? R-CALF is telling your consumers not to eat Canadian beef because it is unsafe. But US beef will be just as unsafe if not more so when you are finally forced to admit you also have BSE in your herd. Then what will you do to sell your beef, no export markets and no domestic consumer confidence left thanks to all the lieing. Where will you historically high cattle prices be then?

Canada has a check off too and sure we would like our dollars to be spent on selling our beef but as long as it is selling BEEF it is good for all who produce. Every checkoff dollar used to advertize and sell beef increases demand for BEEF and hopefully takes away dollars spent on the really competition PORK AND CHICKEN. If R-CALF keeps up the efforts to destroy the reputatuion of BEEF in the eyes of consumer they will switch to the competition PORK or CHICKEN and it will be a long time before they will switch back if they ever do.

reader (the Second) said:
Hey Canadians and Hat, stop acting like children and debate the merits versus slinging personal insults. It is boring for the rest of us.

Were you debating the article on its merits Reader when you posted this
Despite Agman's love for Dittmer, in my opinion he comes off time and time again as a paid hack.

Reader 2, that might be interesting. Will you also point out the statements that Dittmer has correct, as contrasted with Bullards comments?

What is wrong with organizations and businesses using PR people to get their honest and accurate information before the public?

Do you think R-CALF does not use any PR people and only presents factual information?

NCBA has an enviable track record for honesty and accuracy about the cattle/beef business in general and BSE in particular.

MRJ

If you wish me to do a detailed and lengthy linguistic analysis of the article in question to backup my observation that this is an article of a paid hack, I would be happy to oblige

I'd like to see this analysis by all means, please do! what is the definition of "paid hack" anyways?

Latest posts