• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

COOL Poll

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Heres a current running poll questioning whether implimentation of COOL should be expedited:

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou.dobbs.tonight/

Our beef is already pre-labelled when it goes to the US. The only costs for this will fall back on the American producers. Works for me.

Hat said:
96%. I love it. Can't wait to see what the Canucks and the "Spin Doctors" will do to discredit this.

Why would I discredit that ..I have never been against cool.

Cdn beef is labelled Cdn when it leaves here...

Hat said:
96%. I love it. Can't wait to see what the Canucks and the "Spin Doctors" will do to discredit this.

Must be 5000 "Packah Bwamers" they polled :lol: Or maybe that handful of "isolationists" that want to know where there food comes from and know its from a country that produces safe food...... :lol:

Do you think the government should speed up the process of labeling all food sold in the United States with a country of origin label?

I'm also all for labelling, but truthfully, do you think it is as simple as this poll question makes it out to be?

Good for you guys! Sooner you get COOL up and running the better.

Anything that increases the cost to the American producer is only going to help us compete better. We've been through this whole CFIA ear tag thing and I'll tell you that the cost is totally borne by the producer and there is no economic gain to be had. Good Luck.

would love to see mcool with m'id down there. with cca (and by implication abp) asking the canadian govt. to look at using bse testing as a marketing tool we could turn everything r-calf has said against them. could put our own ad in the washington post saying canadian beef is tested and verified safe. look for the maple leaf.

Just a thought, but would COOL not have more of an impact if it was voluntary.

Once Government makes it mandatory, what marketing advantage is left for those who choose to label? For those who provide records of production etc.?

OT, says that the customer should have the choice. Well they do, they can buy a Branded beef product of known source, and are willing to pay a premium for that product. Ask if in doubt, I always ask where my beef comes from when out in a restaraunt, if the waiter doesn't know, I ask for the manager.

If you homogenize the industry, you are right back where you started to some degree, where the individual producer is paid on average!

Just some thoughts! :)

Murgen said:
OT, says that the customer should have the choice. Well they do, they can buy a Branded beef product of known source, and are willing to pay a premium for that product. Ask if in doubt, I always ask where my beef comes from when out in a restaraunt, if the waiter doesn't know, I ask for the manager.

Murgen- with the current rules and laws much of the branded beef cannot be identified as to country of origin-- many restaurants have no idea-- They know its CAB or some other branded product, but don't know where it came from....I'm convinced that even if COOL goes into effect with the restaurant exemptions, once people are able to identify origin, the patrons of many establishments will force the management into identifying the origin-- Not only beef , but all products....

I see Lou Dobbs and the liberals at CNN are really picking on Canucks this week--clicked back to see if the poll results had changed and now they have a new poll-- Whether Canadians should be required to have passports to enter the US? 74% were saying yes...

I just don't see the need for government to mandate or regulate an industry that has the ability at present to differentiate their product by merit, quality and preference. If they regulate every health, labelling, and any other control, next they will be telling us what breed we all have to use.

Homogenized product that is not based on the base qualities of safety etc, will allow for more Government control of the industry. Talk about playing into the packers hands!

OT, you're trying to give the large packer what they want, a product that is totally uniform, no latitude for difference etc.

As for Lou Dobbs, hating Canadians etc, let him at it. It seems do be a new kind of discrimination to hate anybody who is not American. Next you'll be putting tattoos on everybodies forehead who aren't a US citizen. I wonder which way the hatred will tip then? :shock:

Murgen said:
Homogenized product that is not based on the base qualities of safety etc, will allow for more Government control of the industry. Talk about playing into the packers hands!

OT, you're trying to give the large packer what they want, a product that is totally uniform, no latitude for difference etc.

I see it exactly the opposite- a totally uniform homogenized product is what the packers now have by using fraud and deception-- Passing off Australian, Mexican, Canadian, etc beef as US product by using the USDA label... They don't want consumers to know where the product comes from...They don't want you to know that it was slaughtered in a Mexican butcher shop by peasant employees and was never even looked at by a USDA employee, let alone inspected... May have then been shipped thru the US with a USDA stamp and sold in Canada as a US product...I just want them to be honest and open with the consumer.......
And the issue goes far beyond just beef-- every consumer should be able to distinquish in what country all the food they eat comes from.....

I just don't see the need for government to mandate or regulate an industry that has the ability at present to differentiate their product by merit, quality and preference. If they regulate every health, labelling, and any other control, next they will be telling us what breed we all have to use. **************Our site gives operators the tools that Gov. doesn't have a policy on.Recordkeeping and the ability to display what you have done with each animal and or the meat you sell that you are proud of is the way to differentiate what you produce by merit, quality and preference.Our Site www.scoringsystem.com/Agri/

Funny thing, I was at the grocery store tonight. Was down the produce and meat aisle. Everything was marked as to Country of origin. Did I have to take the owners word for it, yes.

But for some reason he felt the need to post it. The Canadian produce was cheaper, so I bought it, might have something to do with the transportation costs etc. and this is all voluntary, I wonder why he does it?

Want a label for Canadian Beef, here it is:

CanadianBeef2.jpg

I bought a NH baler not because it was made in the USA but because it was a NH. I buy Wrangler's not because they are made in China but because they are Wrangler's. It's the product label the consumer is interested in ie CAB not where it is produced. My fear with any mandate is who will pay the cost of the mandate? With MCOOL it is either the consumer or the producer. Anyone thinking otherwise is one brick short of a full load.

I would like to see universal COOL. Seafood in the US must have it now...
But I wonder how it would work, really. If I ship an american calf up here, feed it, send it back as a fat to have it slaughtered, and bring it back, where is it from? There is any number of different possibilities here. Maybe you guys have discussed this to death already, if so I missed it.

...I just want them to be honest and open with the consumer.......

This is a joke right, don't you belong to R-CALF Oldtimer . Or is it that you just expect every one but R-CALF to be honest and open with the consumers. Have you figure out what stand the R-CALF leadership is standing on this week? Is it 100% test or sell no beef from cattle old than 20 months or is it BSE is a non issue because of your superior safeguards? Come on Oldtimer you expect others to be honest lets see how honest you are. Do you stand behind your group defending their members owning Canadian cattle? Do you support R-CALFs lies about the Canadian beef being unsafe to human health and your feed system? Do you believe in 100% testing, or selling no beef from cattle over 20 months or do you believe BSE will be a non issue because of the safeguards that you think the Canadians should come down and help you lobby the USDA to fix? Be honest Oldtimer

Tam said:
...I just want them to be honest and open with the consumer.......

This is a joke right, don't you belong to R-CALF Oldtimer . Or is it that you just expect every one but R-CALF to be honest and open with the consumers. Have you figure out what stand the R-CALF leadership is standing on this week? Is it 100% test or sell no beef from cattle old than 20 months or is it BSE is a non issue because of your superior safeguards? Come on Oldtimer you expect others to be honest lets see how honest you are. Do you stand behind your group defending their members owning Canadian cattle? Do you support R-CALFs lies about the Canadian beef being unsafe to human health and your feed system? Do you believe in 100% testing, or selling no beef from cattle over 20 months or do you believe BSE will be a non issue because of the safeguards that you think the Canadians should come down and help you lobby the USDA to fix? Be honest Oldtimer

I told you many times Tam -- Label it all- then open up the border-- Quit allowing the packers and retailers from passing off Canadian beef and cattle as US by slapping a USDA stamp on it--Leave the decision on whether its safe or if they want to buy it up to the consumer--- Thats where I stand....

STAFF, you seem to have the answer, yet, when I have asked for info. on your system, nobody has gotten back to me.

If your system was regulated by the government, what advantage would you have, except added expense to a producer that would be now producing the same product as anyone else?

Hat, wouldn't a "branded beef product" be deemed captive supplies? In other words, anything that does not go through a sales barn, who owns the sales barns in Montana anyways?

Latest posts